NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-20-2021, 03:56 PM
Gary

Default Whiy is an autograph on a card worth 10X

So here's a loaded question. Take vintage card worth $25 (probably mid-grade). The same players autograph on a photo mighbe worth $50. But when that same players autograph is on the vintage card, it is suddenly worth $750?

Csn someone please explain this to me because it just seems nuts.

Last edited by UKCardGuy; 09-20-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:27 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Set collectors have something to do with it. If I want a signed 8x10 of Willie Mays batting in a NY Giants uniform, there’s plenty out there that fit those criteria, and the prices reflect that. But if I’m building a 1957 Topps set, it has to be that one, I can’t use a different year or brand instead. So when one does come up, I need to bid accordingly, since it’s a very specific thing I’m after and I’m competing with every other set builder for it as well. There’s also a time crunch for players who died young; Harry Agganis signatures are relatively plentiful, as he had a successful career at BU before turning pro (there are several on eBay right now) but he only had a couple of months to sign his 1955 Topps card. A cut signature might go for several hundred dollars, while two copies of his Topps card sold this spring for $15,000 and $27,000.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:30 PM
Joe Jones

I really like the way a well placed bold signature on a card looks and would rather have a card signed than just about anything else. Not sure that makes it worth 10 times more though. Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My collection here:https://imageevent.com/joejo20
Old 09-20-2021, 06:56 PM
Curt

egri hit it on the head as far as i am concerned, but also consider the volume of cards available unsigned vs the limited quantity available signed, with some cards being much more scarce (like the Agganis example).

Mantle signed a lot of stuff, but how many folks had him sign various vintage cards. Even fewer probably risked the mighty 52 Topps. Makes that card extremely expensive either way, but extremely rare signed.

I have always looked at it this way, if I am going to get a card signed, it's not going to be a reprint or a Pacific/Swell legends card, it is going to be the players best card I could afford.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:20 PM

I collect autographed cards. I don’t collect autographs that are not on cards. The price I will pay for an autographed card is not tightly correlated to the difficulty of the player’s autograph. There are some autographed cards that are hard to find, even if the player’s autograph is not hard to find in general. I will use ‘72 Topps Duane Josephson as an example. Not a hard autograph to find, but a hard autograph to find on a ‘72 Topps. There are countless other examples.

Last edited by sreader3; 09-20-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:26 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Every once in a while, someone will resurrect the Toughest Signed Cards Possible thread, and there’s plenty of guys in there who aren’t difficult to find signatures of, but are very difficult on specific cards, or even cards in general.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Every once in a while, someone will resurrect the Toughest Signed Cards Possible thread, and there’s plenty of guys in there who aren’t difficult to find signatures of, but are very difficult on specific cards, or even cards in general.
Agreed Scott. I echo your sentiment and your original post was more comprehensive than mine. I collect 72 Topps and signed examples of certain Series 5 and 6 guys are damn near impossible.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:25 AM

The medium is always important. It's the difference between a store bought baseball and a game used one. Cards have a special place in the collector's heart. It's where we all start our habit. I prefer signed cards over everything else.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:25 AM

double post

Last edited by packs; 09-21-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Agreed Scott. I echo your sentiment and your original post was more comprehensive than mine. I collect 72 Topps and signed examples of certain Series 5 and 6 guys are damn near impossible.
Is a 1972 Topps Gil Hodges possible? I know there are a handful of 1971s out there, but I don’t remember seeing a 1972 off the top of my head.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:43 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Is a 1972 Topps Gil Hodges possible? I know there are a handful of 1971s out there, but I don’t remember seeing a 1972 off the top of my head.
Gil died April 2nd and his 1972 card was in the 4th series, seem improbable.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Gil died April 2nd and his 1972 card was in the 4th series, seem improbable.
The 1972 OPC counterpart even points out that he passed right on the front of the card.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:48 PM
Gary

Quote:
Set collectors have something to do with it. If I want a signed 8x10 of Willie Mays batting in a NY Giants uniform, there’s plenty out there that fit those criteria, and the prices reflect that. But if I’m building a 1957 Topps set, it has to be that one, I can’t use a different year or brand instead. So when one does come up, I need to bid accordingly, since it’s a very specific thing I’m after and I’m competing with every other set builder for it as well. There’s also a time crunch for players who died young; Harry Agganis signatures are relatively plentiful, as he had a successful career at BU before turning pro (there are several on eBay right now) but he only had a couple of months to sign his 1955 Topps card. A cut signature might go for several hundred dollars, while two copies of his Topps card sold this spring for $15,000 and $27,000.
Thanks guys. I get that for some scenarios (e.g. Agganis 55T) the rarity commands a premium. But other times, it seems to me that there's a multiplier on an autographed card that sometimes defies logic.

I expected that autographed set collectors were a pretty niche group. But I've probably massively misunderstood the market.

Excepting the rarities like 55T Agganis, is there a general rule of thumb about the value of an autographed card vs an autographed photo?
Old 09-24-2021, 06:35 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Thanks guys. I get that for some scenarios (e.g. Agganis 55T) the rarity commands a premium. But other times, it seems to me that there's a multiplier on an autographed card that sometimes defies logic.

I expected that autographed set collectors were a pretty niche group. But I've probably massively misunderstood the market.

Excepting the rarities like 55T Agganis, is there a general rule of thumb about the value of an autographed card vs an autographed photo?
I don't know if there is a rule for the ratio of the values of each, just that cards tend to outsell photos. Maybe one of the other members with experience selling can chime in with their opinion.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:40 PM
Bob Shannon

Default Ryan rookies

Every thread should have a card or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD3799E2-7B87-4CA2-9170-1DD97EE968C8.jpg (11.7 KB, 230 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 04:49 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I always hated to look and storage of signed balls. 8x 10 photos dont have that vintage look. For a player to HAVE TOUCHED his own card, and the thought of the story that went along with it, is magic to me. Long before card shows, cards would have had to have been carried to the ball park with the luck to get it signed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210609_141303.jpg (76.6 KB, 235 views)

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-26-2021, 05:18 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I always hated to look and storage of signed balls. 8x 10 photos dont have that vintage look. For a player to HAVE TOUCHED his own card, and the thought of the story that went along with it, is magic to me. Long before card shows, cards would have had to have been carried to the ball park with the luck to get it signed.
And, no two signed cards are exactly the same; signature placement, type of pen, ink color, even style of signature are always different. They're also created one at a time, not like the cards themselves that are churned out in a factory.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:48 PM
Gary

Quote:
I think that's a great point. But i really like signed balls, especially baseballs that show their age. For the same reasons that you give.. .i like the thought that a kid at a ballpark getting a ball signed by his heroes. I prefer old multi-signed balls for that reason. Bright white balls autographed on the sweet spot in sharpie might grade well, but they're just a bit saccharine to me.

I have a feeling that most of the signed cards we see (even older vintage cards) were signed at a modern card show.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:38 PM

How about another signed card for the thread. One of my all time favorites:

Old 09-26-2021, 07:56 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I can understand trying to complete a set of signed cards. When I was an in person collector at the hotels in the 1980's and 1990's I was mostly an index card person and still am though now no sharpie, ballpoint pen only (mostly Cross pen). I had won the '83 Fleer baseball set in a raffle and did work on that. I did get about half the set done and they looked good. These days I may still get a few TTM when they are sent to my by Olympians, but I trade them off or give them away. For true Olympic collectors it is usually fan postcards or 4x6 photos. Ones like this one in fountain pen are great looking.

Pistulla,-Ernst-(1938)---1.jpg

Ernst Pistulla won a silver medal in boxing at the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam. Lightweight champion of Germany. Killed in action on the Russian Front, September, 1944.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 09-26-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:57 AM
Jamie

I will add if not already mentioned in the scarcity point that from a collector standpoint back in the day they did not sign rookie cards or people did not want to ruin a card with a signature. That logic made a supply issue and now sediment has changed.

Frankly, I think that the modern world has helped flip this adjustment. With all inserts with signatures now the most valuable cards (due to forced scarcity) that it opened up the demand for vintage card autographs.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:15 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Agreed and nice cards.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-28-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
And, no two signed cards are exactly the same; signature placement, type of pen, ink color, even style of signature are always different. They're also created one at a time, not like the cards themselves that are churned out in a factory.
This is a great point. Every signed card is unique and therefore fascinating to me.

I would only add that, unfortunately, the factors you cite also are also relevant to authenticity given the huge amount of fraud in our hobby.

Last edited by sreader3; 09-28-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:09 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
I will add if not already mentioned in the scarcity point that from a collector standpoint back in the day they did not sign rookie cards or people did not want to ruin a card with a signature. That logic made a supply issue and now sediment has changed.
I’m sure some people had rookie cards back in the day (hence the vintage signed rookie cards) and I believe the general consensus was not to ruin the cards (that was my thought at least) by getting them signed. There were so many other mediums that were more popular with collectors, i.e. balls, photos, index cards, bats, etc.

Since the logic changed, for the most part (including myself), now if you want a vintage signed card the supply is limited.

I really am a single player collector (Brooks Robinson) and about three years ago I started a side project to acquire all of his regular issue cards signed; this was due to someone showing their collection and their signed cards looked really cool. I figured I had a few in my collection from in the past, but only found one and it was rough. Anyway, if you know Brooks he signs “everything”, but finding nice vintage examples are tough. Also, as mentioned in the thread, some are light, different locations on the card, up, down, blue, black, sharpie, etc. (not all cards are the same w/an auto).

At least in my experience the signed cards are not 10x higher, but I have very narrow focus.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I’m sure some people had rookie cards back in the day (hence the vintage signed rookie cards) and I believe the general consensus was not to ruin the cards (that was my thought at least) by getting them signed. There were so many other mediums that were more popular with collectors, i.e. balls, photos, index cards, bats, etc.
When I was first getting into the hobby around 2006, the first vintage card I bought was a 1949 Bowman Bobby Doerr. As I was paying for it, I was telling the LCS owner I planned to send it in to him to sign, and before I could finish the sentence he was shaking his head no. I eventually came around.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
When I was first getting into the hobby around 2006, the first vintage card I bought was a 1949 Bowman Bobby Doerr. As I was paying for it, I was telling the LCS owner I planned to send it in to him to sign, and before I could finish the sentence he was shaking his head no. I eventually came around.
Scott,

A number of years ago I was just like the dealer; just say no to putting ink (or sharpie) on cards. Now I’m looking for better examples than what I currently have (really need to upgrade a few as well). On my spreadsheet for Brooks’ regular issue cards I have blue ballpoint, black ballpoint, blue sharpie and black sharpie (I really haven’t started the sharpie yet) to track what I have.

I am a tad weird though I’m not crazy about autographs on pictures since I feel it takes away from the shot itself. I have a few signed, but most of them of the common variety.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Mantle signed a lot of stuff, but how many folks had him sign various vintage cards. Even fewer probably risked the mighty 52 Topps. Makes that card extremely expensive either way, but extremely rare signed.

I have always looked at it this way, if I am going to get a card signed, it's not going to be a reprint or a Pacific/Swell legends card, it is going to be the players best card I could afford.
This is an interesting point bc I remember as a child in the 1980's I was specifically told by my dealer uncle that autographs on rookie cards would count against overall condition. I probably should have sought more detail, but he gave me the impression that Mantle signing a 52 Topps would devalue it the same as if I had scribbled on it.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
This is an interesting point bc I remember as a child in the 1980's I was specifically told by my dealer uncle that autographs on rookie cards would count against overall condition. I probably should have sought more detail, but he gave me the impression that Mantle signing a 52 Topps would devalue it the same as if I had scribbled on it.
Yes, an autograph on a vintage card was nothing more than an 'MK' qualifier now.

I remember back in 1986 I went to see Willie Mays at an outdoor show. Free autographs and there was no one in the line to see him. I had taken a book, SI, and a post-career insert card. Ended up also getting a dollar bill signed because he was just sitting there with no one in line. The thought of having him deface one of my playing years cards didn't even cross my mind. Dammit.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:38 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I remember back in 1986 I went to see Willie Mays at an outdoor show. Free autographs and there was no one in the line to see him. I had taken a book, SI, and a post-career insert card. Ended up also getting a dollar bill signed because he was just sitting there with no one in line. The thought of having him deface one of my playing years cards didn't even cross my mind. Dammit.
Reminds me of a story I've told here before:

The mom of one of my HS track teammates was a professional photographer, and in the 1980s she was hired to cover a show with Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. She spent the whole day at arms length from the two of them, making conversation, and at the end of the day they offered to sign as much stuff for her as she would like, for free. She said no, she didn't collect autographs.