NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-07-2021, 12:41 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageloz View Post
Hi Todd

Can you post a link to where you get the Mylar sleeves?
Thanks
Chris
Sure. Here's one I have used:

https://tcverify.com/
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:49 PM

These posts brought back a lot of memories from my childhood. I started like a lot of folks with rubber bands in a shoebox. At first I had Yankees in one box (my favorite) and everyone else in another.

Now, I'm going back to binders. This all came about because I am sick of PSA being so far behind and gouging at $200 per card. If I want, I'm going to SGC for higher end cards and the rest will be in binders, inside a penny sleeve, then in a 9 pocket sheet (Ultra Pro only). Has anyone used the pages for the graded cards? I do like the way their holders look with the black plastic holder. I plan to buy the graded ones and not worry about grading myself. And putting a Street & Smith's with them is a nice touch. I used to get either a Street or a Baseball Digest every year. Sometimes I even purchased a team or Jay Yankees yearbook. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the pages for the graded cards. I'm going to check to see if there's on that SGC holders will fit.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:08 PM

If you are talking about those 4-pocket, recessed pages that look like the graded cards “snap” into, I am interested in feedback on those as well. I just can’t seem to get the regular 4-pocket ultra pros to work right with slabs.

It seems those graded card pages were discontinued years ago by ultra pro (?) and the few I see on eBay are really expensive and not sure of the quality.

I love the idea of having a binder where 98% of the cards are secure in the standard 9 pocket sheets and the top stars/rookies are graded and displayed in two front pages. That’s kinda how I collect my sets anyway.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:14 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazFenway08 View Post
If you are talking about those 4-pocket, recessed pages that look like the graded cards “snap” into, I am interested in feedback on those as well. I just can’t seem to get the regular 4-pocket ultra pros to work right with slabs.

It seems those graded card pages were discontinued years ago by ultra pro (?) and the few I see on eBay are really expensive and not sure of the quality.

I love the idea of having a binder where 98% of the cards are secure in the standard 9 pocket sheets and the top stars/rookies are graded and displayed in two front pages. That’s kinda how I collect my sets anyway.
the tough thing I've found is that 9 pocket pages, if you put your card in a soft sleeve first before the page pocket, the fit is very tight. im now going to experiment with the 8 pocket pages on my 1960 set and see how it feels, with the 4 pocket pages + cardsavers at the front of the binder.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:22 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Thick page lifters front and back in a binder help immensely with curl.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:23 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Thick page lifters front and back in a binder help immensely with curl.
Really...curved or flat?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2021, 10:09 PM

That is a good question about the lifters. Don't know if I would have thought of it. I have another question while we're talking about things, one set I want to do is the 1956 set. I assumed an 8 pocket page would work, but today I was on Ultra Pro's site and the specs said for cards 3 1/2" by 2 3/4". My '56 Elston Howard is 3 3/4" by 2 5/8", so what does everyone else use? I would prefer to stick with ultrapro. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:35 AM
Mike Lenart

The Ultra Pro 8 pocket pagwes work well with the 1956 Topps cards.

Mike

1956 Topps Page.jpg
Old 08-29-2021, 10:17 AM
James M

looks awesome. did you sleeve them before putting them in the album pages?
Old 08-29-2021, 10:33 AM
Mike Lenart

No, did not put them in sleeves. I have tried using sleeves with other sets and it seems to make the cards look a little dull.

I probably should try the mylar sleeves.

Mike
Old 08-29-2021, 07:17 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
The Ultra Pro 8 pocket pagwes work well with the 1956 Topps cards.

Mike
Do the Ultra Pro 8 pocket pages open at the top or on the side? I thought I had read somewhere that they opened in the top and cards tended to pop out of them some. I have older 8 pocket pages from BCW that open on the side, but I'm not sure what they are made of. However, I've had cards in them for over 20 years and haven't noticed any problems.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Mike Lenart

They open at the top.

I also had 8 pocket pages that opened at the side but that was many years ago and I replaced them as I was not sure what they were made of.

No issues with cards sliding out.

Mike

Last edited by mikemb; 08-29-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM

I just received a few of these plastic “snap” holders for PSA graded cards for experimentation. So far I dig them…good option for the few higher end graded cards in my 50s sets…I only have between around 8 of the main cards graded in each set so two of these snap sheets at the front of the binder seem to work.

Only problem is that these sheets aren’t “universal”…they don’t fit SGC. Has anyone ever seen these type of sheets that would accommodate SGC sized flips? Seems like there would be a market for it…but maybe I’m the only one that likes these…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 862938FA-D962-4D36-94A3-75B25F0ADC73.jpg (17.6 KB, 204 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:59 AM
James M

some updated binder comments/thoughts, after trying a few different setups over the last few weeks.

Unikeep binders - For the price, they are good. You can get a 3 pack for $21 on amazon. Each binder will hold between 50-70 pages, depending on the thickness of the pages. The 8 pocket pages did not fit into them as well as regular 9 pocket, 15 pocket or 4 pocket pages. The ring system is flimsy, and I actually broke one of the rings unsnapping it. Once it breaks, its done, since its molded plastic

Lighthouse Vario binders - 100% the best option out there that I've tried. The pages move effortlessly from side to side, no snags or pressing against the rings. Bigger capacity than the unikeep binders, and the slipcase is nice. They are more expensive, but I believe they are worth the price at this point.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Chris

Agree on Lighthouse. I love them.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Rick
Mike Mc.Gr@il

Wonderful thread everyone! It’s a bit pricy but for me it’s
baseball card binders.com, I use both ultra pro pages and sleeves too.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Jake Dahl

For the longest time I have been both a graded and raw/ungraded type collector but then when I started set collecting I noticed myself buying more Raw 1960 topps cards and putting those in the binder and it wasn't until now or a year or two ago that I may just get only raw cards and I love them. As mentioned I love reading the backs, the bios, stats, World Series cards, checklists, league leaders and the baseball thrills.

Now I may cracked out all my graded cards and start putting them in the binders since I am not going to sell them.

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 10-04-2021, 11:12 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Wanted to throw my nickel's worth of 2 cents into the fray.

I just put my entire 1958 Topps set into penny sleeves and into binder. I used the Ultra Pro Premium penny sleeves, and the fit was a little snug on the card. But they slid perfectly into the pages each time. Never any crimping or messing up. I wanted to use penny sleeves so I can put the BV on the back of each card.
I also used the Ultra Pro Platinum pages, and everything worked just great.

I've already picked up the sleeves for my 1957 Topps set, and I've got the pages ready. As soon as I get this big lot I've got coming in and get them into their spot in the set, I'l put them into sleeves and into a notebook.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:51 PM

Got all my Yankees in binders...cdw albums never UltiPro...I leave spaces for all the cards I don't have yet.

Got several Gothic Cabinet Craft bookcases to hold them, added a made to order bookcase from a small business here in San Francisco and it looks great. You just can't use Ikea or big box store bookcases, they aren't strong enough for these heavy binders.

Something about looking at those rows of binders (over 100) and thinking about all the work and care that went into getting all those cards.