NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: How involved are you in the PSA Registry?
I am not involved in any way, shape or form. 105 55.85%
I am involved in a very minor way. 44 23.40%
I am actively involved in it. 34 18.09%
I am completely wrapped up in it. 5 2.66%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2021, 02:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
...that may indicate the registry is not the driver behind price inflation that many in the industry/hobby seem to presume and consistently assert that it is.)
And there it is!!
This is precisely why I started the thread/poll. It is constantly being asserted that everyone competing in the registry is the reason prices keep going up across the board. I hear this time and time again. Ultra expensive, rare cards? Sure, I can believe it's at least a partial factor there, but suddenly-extortionate 1972 high number pricing is due to the registry chasers?? That is simply impossible to believe. This is why I wanted to see how many of us are motivated by the registry, and the results show (granted it is not scientific) that a very small portion of us consider the registry to be a driving force in our card purchasing decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:13 PM
Howard Chasser

Default COnfusing rising prices with relative market value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
And there it is!!
This is precisely why I started the thread/poll. It is constantly being asserted that everyone competing in the registry is the reason prices keep going up across the board. I hear this time and time again. Ultra expensive, rare cards? Sure, I can believe it's at least a partial factor there, but suddenly-extortionate 1972 high number pricing is due to the registry chasers?? That is simply impossible to believe. This is why I wanted to see how many of us are motivated by the registry, and the results show (granted it is not scientific) that a very small portion of us consider the registry to be a driving force in our card purchasing decisions.
I haven't heard anyone say the registry is the cause of the rising prices. I have heard (and said) that the registry is 1 of a handful of reasons why cards of equivalent grade in PSA holders usually have a good sized price premium over SGC.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I haven't heard anyone say the registry is the cause of the rising prices. I have heard (and said) that the registry is 1 of a handful of reasons why cards of equivalent grade in PSA holders usually have a good sized price premium over SGC.
Maybe on BlowOut more than here, but "the Registry" does often seem to have the starring role in being blamed/credited for any number of issues ranging from PSA's wild success over competing TPGs, to the reason the alterations scandal will never be properly dealt with (i.e., the wealthy high-enders will never tolerate their sets being downgraded) to individual posters
complaining/commiserating about how they always seem to just lose out bidding for specific cards they want (and how they surmise they are consistently being stretched beyond their budget because reckless "registry collectors" just can't help themselves.)

Many posts do seem to take the Registry to be beyond just one of several factors, to the governing factor, the genius idea that made PSA irresistible. . . But maybe it's being recycled among a small cadre and not as common a view as this would make it seem.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Michael

The registry can have a significant impact on the "value" of items. The New York Yankees issued photos of the team from probably the mid '50s to the early '70s. Some of these team photos include Mickey Mantle (1968 and before). In addition, the team issued photos of Mantle with a brief bio starting around 1963 and continued beyond his retirement. These photos were a single page and folded in three to mail in envelopes (hence sometimes they are called tri-folds). I was able to pick up a few of these for between $12.50 to $32.50 prior to late 2020. Then, they were added to the PSA Mantle registry. I have heard that some these tri-folds were sold for around $300 a piece to people on the Mantle registry. I have only seen a few come on eBay since then. I got a team photo with a BIN late at night and paid for it and had my offer accepted on another team photo from the same seller but was never was asked to pay. In the morning I got an email saying that they'd spilled coffee on both of the team photos and had my money refunded for the one I paid for. I requested photos of the ruined photos and never got them. I know the seller had heard from someone else about the photos because she told me she had. I figured they must have made a higher offer and she took it.

So yes, the registry does result in higher prices and there is competition.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
The registry can have a significant impact on the "value" of items. The New York Yankees issued photos of the team from probably the mid '50s to the early '70s. Some of these team photos include Mickey Mantle (1968 and before). In addition, the team issued photos of Mantle with a brief bio starting around 1963 and continued beyond his retirement. These photos were a single page and folded in three to mail in envelopes (hence sometimes they are called tri-folds). I was able to pick up a few of these for between $12.50 to $32.50 prior to late 2020. Then, they were added to the PSA Mantle registry. I have heard that some these tri-folds were sold for around $300 a piece to people on the Mantle registry. I have only seen a few come on eBay since then. I got a team photo with a BIN late at night and paid for it and had my offer accepted on another team photo from the same seller but was never was asked to pay. In the morning I got an email saying that they'd spilled coffee on both of the team photos and had my money refunded for the one I paid for. I requested photos of the ruined photos and never got them. I know the seller had heard from someone else about the photos because she told me she had. I figured they must have made a higher offer and she took it.

So yes, the registry does result in higher prices and there is competition.

In the case of the addition of items to player registry sets, vs. those items not being included as Mike shared - my experience is the same as his - some incredible price spikes with registry inclusion.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:05 PM
Mike

I've been involved with a couple of sets, but not in the future at those crazy grading prices and long waits.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Psa registry

Well, I have a #1 Master set of an individual player (guess who). I think I alittle different twist then some on here. I was a collector for years and had acquired any and all cards I thought. When card grading came along I decided to start sending in cards to be graded and sent them in. At that time is was pretty cheap to get cards graded. I then joined the registry very early on.
I have graded duplicates and sold to upgrade my set and have been able
to acquire cards I either didn't have or had never seen through ebay.
I think the registry is different things to different people, to me its an easy
reference when I am looking at cards for sale. Its a great inventory for me.
Over time PSA has turned down grading certain cards only to grade them now
They have added "junk" as far as I am concerned and recently I had someone
offer to loan me a card that I need and said "everyone is doing it".
I am sitting on almost a year on getting cards back that I have sent in for grading and
I like many, have no intention of paying big bucks to get cards graded.