NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-14-2023, 08:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default eBay craziness

I sell a relatively small amount of cards on eBay and 98% of them go off without an issue. But once in a while ..... sheesh ....

Last night I had a sale end while I was in a play. Friday night. Turn phone on and see card (modern football, from a break) has sold for $140. There are literally 13 messages from the buyer. Asked me if I had shipped. Other craziness. Mind you, he paid. First few were literally like hey I'm the buyer ... would like to have a discussion off line ..... all sort of jokes I didn't understand. Went on and on about how could we get in touch off line. I responded once and said thanks for the payment, shipping tomorrow. Figured maybe the guy was drunk or high and was amusing himself. Woke up this morning to like 6 more eBay messages. Wanted to connect by Insta, which I don't have, all sorts of cryptic messages I couldn't understand. Verybizarre. Maybe guy was hitting the Oxys and Jack. Was so bizarre in that I couldn't make heads or tails of any of it.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-14-2023 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:45 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

What were the cryptic messages? It may have been an attempt to connect with you off of ebay while bypassing their filters.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-14-2023, 01:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
What were the cryptic messages? It may have been an attempt to connect with you off of ebay while bypassing their filters.
Good point. But the frequency and number of messages still makes it seem a bit odd regardless, no?
Old 01-14-2023, 01:36 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good point. But the frequency and number of messages still makes it seem a bit odd regardless, no?
Oh, absolutely - I was just thinking about similar messages I've received, with things like a phone number embedded in nonsense text. I figured that what I was, anyway.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Dave

I've gotten the, "I like your card, will you take such and such amount? .. contact me on Insta.", before.

I essentially responded (paraphrasing), "How the hell to I do that?"

They responded (paraphrasing), "Duh, it's the same handle as my ebay handle".

I actually would have taken their offer and went to the trouble of marking it down just for them on Ebay, but never heard from them again after doing so.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Some of it was an attempt to meet off eBay but some other stuff was just like a person amusing themselves. Have to guess some mental illness. Just one more message today. Something peculiar about really not needing the cards index no. No clue.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:22 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I know plenty of sellers who would add that person to their block list immediately and just cancel the sale.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:13 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I know plenty of sellers who would add that person to their block list immediately and just cancel the sale.
I have seen some do that also

I do not mind if they attempt an offline sale but if they keep sending odd messages and I do not get it then i just move on

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-15-2023, 01:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

On block list.

QUOTE=swarmee;2304447]I know plenty of sellers who would add that person to their block list immediately and just cancel the sale.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-15-2023, 02:05 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Am I correct that on ebay, a blocked bidder can still send you messages? I'm pretty sure that's happened to me...
Old 01-15-2023, 02:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Am I correct that on ebay, a blocked bidder can still send you messages? I'm pretty sure that's happened to me...
I had it happen to me. They could still message me through a recent purchase before I blocked them. Then after a short time eBay must have stopped them from sending more or nutty Mathew would have sent more.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:21 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I had it happen to me. They could still message me through a recent purchase before I blocked them. Then after a short time eBay must have stopped them from sending more or nutty Mathew would have sent more.
That's annoying - seems like something they could fix if they wanted to. Another thing that bugs me is that they allow bidders from excluded shipping locations to bid on items - or at least in my case that's happened a bunch of times.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
That's annoying - seems like something they could fix if they wanted to. Another thing that bugs me is that they allow bidders from excluded shipping locations to bid on items - or at least in my case that's happened a bunch of times.
Many foreign buyers have US shipping addresses, like COMC Mailboxes, Shipmycards, etc. So eBay restricting people by country doesn't make a ton of sense, since people can have addresses in multiple countries.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:37 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I really used and enjoyed eBay years ago.

But all the changes and the ways people use eBay. And how many items are put on sale with a price super high and the same item is posted for years seems like some people use it just to display their cards
Especially frustrating when they are some amazing cards likes this that we want

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson