NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2016, 10:29 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: Card dealers of the 1950s

Before the 1950s, there were no sports card dealers as we know them today. There were antique shops and ephemera dealers who might have old sports cards or similar things in stock, and there were collectors who would sell cards or sets on an ad hoc basis through ads in Card Collector's Bulletin or Sports Exchange Trading Post. But if you wanted to buy the current year's baseball card set, or sets or specific cards from recent years, you were pretty much out of luck; you had to assemble sets yourself, or ask around to find another collector with the cards you needed.

That began to change after 1950. In 1951, Sam Rosen retired from the garment business and became the first real card dealer. Rosen's stepson was Woody Gelman, who worked for Topps Chewing Gum, which had been issuing miscellaneous card sets for a few years and put out its first baseball card sets that year. Gelman would funnel Topps' excess card inventory through Rosen's business, and Rosen also served as the fulfillment center for the Topps Trading Card Guild, through which Topps sold vending boxes, rack packs, and individual cards. Rosen also bought cards from individual collectors at wholesale prices, and built up a large inventory, including many sets. (Most of this information is from board member Dave Hornish's (toppcat) book "The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum, 1938-1956".)

Below is Rosen's price guide from October 1956, the earliest one I have. It consists of a single 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper folded in half. I'm not sure who wrote the ink annotations. Note that Rosen was selling 1952 Topps baseball cards for 2 cents each, with high numbers for 5 cents, the same prices he was charging in a 1953 ad in Card Collector's Bulletin (which I don't have).

Here are the first two pages of Rosen's July 1958 price list, which consisted of three legal-size sheets of paper stapled together at the corner. The first page has information on the 1958 Topps baseball cards, which Rosen was selling for $9.88 a set, and summaries of what else he had available. (The part that my scanner cut off at the bottom consists of the words "low prices", then "Thanks for your kind co-operation. Sincerely, SAM ROSEN") The second page has his prices for sports cards, and I've separately scanned the bottom of that page, which was cut off by my scanner. I didn't scan the third page, which has Rosen's prices for non-sport cards. I also didn't scan another three-page document that Rosen issued at the same time, which includes the same info about 1958 Topps baseball, info on preordering the 1958 Topps football set for $2.64, checklists of Exhibit cards and 1956 Topps baseball buttons available for sale, and the prices Rosen was paying to buy Topps and Bowman baseball cards. (The most he was paying was 3 cents for 1952 Topps high numbers, 1948 and 1949 Bowman, and 1953 Bowman B&W.)

By this time, Rosen had a competitor in the person of Gordon B. Taylor, a 47-year old former consulting engineer who collected cards and decided to become a full-time dealer after seeing what Rosen was doing. I'm not sure exactly when Taylor started his business, but by 1958 he claimed to have 1 million cards in stock. Below is a letter that Taylor sent out to his customers in March 1958 announcing the new 1958 Topps baseball cards, and touting his alphabetical checklist, "two years in preparation", an ad for which accompanied the letter.

In August 1958, Taylor began publishing a monthly collecting newsletter, Card Comments, designed to promote card collecting in general (and, not incidentally, his business). The first issue is below, consisting of one 8.5" x 11" sheet folded in half to make four pages. At least in the early days, Taylor would type up and sign a personalized note to each new subscriber, one of which I've scanned below. Taylor continued to publish Card Comments monthly, expanding it to six pages in February 1959 and 16 pages by the end of 1959, through it remained typewritten and mimeographed throughout that period.

Meanwhile, Sam Rosen died unexpectedly on New Year's Eve 1958. His stepson Woody Gelman took over the business, renamed it Card Collectors' Company, and made other changes. In March 1959 he issued a relatively slick-looking typeset price list (see below) with a "handy order form", and a brief memorial to Rosen on the back page. Inserted in the price list was a one-page "Special Bulletin" announcing the 1959 Topps baseball cards and some other new issues, plus an offer of "Authentic Old Time Baseball Cigarette Cards" (presumably T206s) at 20 cents each, 15 for $2.50, or 60 for $10.00.

In that March 1959 price list, Gelman also announced the launch of a new bi-monthly newsletter, "The Card Collector", apparently designed as a competitor to Taylor's "Card Comments". When the first issue of The Card Collector came out on April 15, it was four pages long, like Taylor's initial effort, but it was larger (6" x 9" pages, rather than 5.5" x 8.5") and more professional looking, typeset rather than mimeographed. Gelman wrote an editorial about the growth of card collecting, including a tribute to Jefferson Burdick (with whom Gelman was then working on the 1960 American Card Catalog), and there were also articles on the 1951 Topps baseball sets and Exhibit cards, plus a preview of 1959 Topps baseball.

The more professional look of The Card Collector eventually prompted Gordon Taylor to make improvements in Card Comments, and both of them were pretty good hobby publications for a while. Both publications would run into problems a few years later and cease publication, but I'll leave that story for a later post on card dealers of the 1960s. To end this post, here is Gordon Taylor's price list from April 1, 1960, when he was just about at the height of his prominence as a card dealer. Note that he was charging a premium for Stan Musial cards, even though they were not scarcer than other cards. Gelman had also charged a premium for the 1958 Topps Musial in his March 1959 price list, as had Taylor in his ad on page 4 of the August 1958 Card Comments above. This was the start of the practice of charging more for star cards, a practice that would become more prevalent in the 1960s but be resisted fiercely by "serious" collectors. But that's also a story for a later post.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Dan Bretta

Wow! Thanks for posting this stuff. Very interesting. Does anyone know what happened to Gordon Taylor's collection?
Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting this stuff. Very interesting. Does anyone know what happened to Gordon Taylor's collection?
Taylor's inventory eventually ended up with Bruce Yeko of Wholesale Cards, as I will detail in the next post on dealers of the 1960s.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:37 AM
Jason Wells

Great read as always. These posts have so much information about the beginnings of the hobby. Thanks David.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Great read as always. These posts have so much information about the beginnings of the hobby. Thanks David.
Agree 100%. Great, great hobby information. I will see if I can add anything later if I have time to dig through some stuff.....Thanks David!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:23 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default list

very informative and interesting

Im I reading that correctly ?.

.the 1951 T current All Stars...those three scarce ones ( Roberts,Rizutto,etc.) ..were readily available ??..I thought those 3 were " hard to find/ not issued/whatever ??
Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
very informative and interesting

Im I reading that correctly ?.

.the 1951 T current All Stars...those three scarce ones ( Roberts,Rizutto,etc.) ..were readily available ??..I thought those 3 were " hard to find/ not issued/whatever ??
Rosen in his 1956 list does list the Current All-Stars for 5 cents each, bit that doesn't necessarily mean he had them all in stock. In 1959, Gelman listed all 11 in his article on 1951 Topps, but said that the large cards were almost impossible to complete, and in his price list he only listed four of the All-Time All-Stars as available.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Kyle May

After reading this, and seeing the prices on those, I am now more motivated than ever to invent a time machine. I have 4 stops to make...

1) 1911 to buy as many Tobacco cards as possible
2) 1933 to buy Ruth/Gehrig cards
3) 1956 to buy cards from 1948-1956 (specifically 1952 Topps and Mantles)
4) 1997 to invest in Amazon

Anyone care to join me?

David, thank you very much for sharing this. Such a great read. Always is.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 12-31-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:15 AM

Great post!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:03 AM
J!m Be@m

Well done! Very informative and fun to read. It would be neat to know how many cards were printed/made for all those early '50s cards and how many survive today. We will likely never know. Thanks, David.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Marc Powers

Default Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
After reading this, and seeing the prices on those, I am now more motivated than ever to invent a time machine. I have 4 stops to make...

Anyone care to join me?

Call me when you have the Machine ready! I will be there!!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:53 AM

David,
as always, love your postings. just a real treat to review card history.

now for an insight i have not seen before:

many discussions of the 52 topps high numbers revolving around sy berger, if i recall correctly, that these extra cases of 52 topps hi numbers sat around topps warehouse, or storage for, depending on the story,
a. some years,
or
b. many years,
before being sent out on a barge into the ocean. (a viking funeral of sorts for mickey rookies)

your above research regarding these sales lists indicate that is not a true story nor a plausible story.

no way would gelman and rosen, who had access to all of topps inventory, be running out of 52 high numbers on the lists you show in this sales sheet of rosens 4 years later in oct 56 and no way would they be selling 52 topps at such a premium price right out of the gate IF the cards were sitting within their grasp. note the 56 list price of hi number 52 topps at 5 cents, same as the 51 topps team cards and 51 topps current all stars!

the logical conclusion is those topps 52 hi numbers were long gone by seasons end and definately by 1956 and the barge story is not very plausible unless the barge drop was shortly after fall of 1952
****and even that STRAINS creduality for the very simple logic that rosen had a great supply of 52 low numbers, why would topps dump the hi numbers and not the low numbers if dumping was their modus operandi???*****
it is a fun sy berger story, like the "babe ruth sat out today with an upset stomach" stories the sports press used to spiel.

also topps would have been happy to capitalize on dead inventory at a premium or for that matter normal wholesale price, obviously they did this with the 52 topps low numbers as rosen had plenty, if the market existed AND THESE LISTS SHOW A MARKET CERTAINLY EXISTED.

a friend of mine bought thousands of cases of topps material in the late 60's and early 70's as returns from season end retail at a huge discount from wholesale price as topps was thrilled to get anything for what they viewed as dead inventory. all of those cases are long gone, sold back into the hobby in the 90's. and larry fritsch ALSO bought thousands of cases in this same manner from at least the mid 60's forward. topps took the money wherever they could find it.

so lets hear some other comments as we noodle on this logic connundrum.

Last edited by jsq; 12-31-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Nick J@yj@ck

First, thank you very much for the information. You put a lot of effort into that post, and I appreciate it.

Second, the information there is very interesting to say the least. In August 1958, a full set of 1958 Topps baseball cards was going for $15 ($2.60 each for series 1-5 and $2.00 for series 6). In 2016$, that equates to about $125 at an average annual inflation rate of about 3.6%. To put that into a hobby context, you can buy a 2016 Topps Baseball box set today for around $50-$60. I wonder how many kids back then had the buying power of $125 (2016$) to purchase a set? Modern set collecting back then doesn't seem all that inexpensive to me anymore compared to modern set collecting today.

What's also interesting is the attention and excitement given in those bulletins to collecting what, in 1958, were "modern" cards. I love seeing the ink side notes of the collector regarding where he/she was with their sets and what singles were needed, presumably back in 1958. In my view, the collecting community today, including myself, doesn't place as much emphasis on collecting modern, at least not like it appears to have been emphasized back then. That's my perception anyway, real or not, and that's what I see has changed the most over the decades.

Last edited by Nick55; 12-31-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarity needed.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:42 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Real interesting David, thanks for posting!
Larry
Old 12-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Al Richter

Great post. Great info
Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default as always

thanks David. Your posts get better and better :-)
Old 12-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Ed Jensen

David, I think its fantastic that you have retained (or acquired) the old collecting material, and the information that you are sharing is priceless to me. I didn't start collecting until the late 60's, and cannot wait to see your future posts on that decade. I wish I had kept the old catalogues and newsletters that I received back then.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:53 PM
Seth

Fantastic post!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:46 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedDane View Post
David, I think its fantastic that you have retained (or acquired) the old collecting material, and the information that you are sharing is priceless to me. I didn't start collecting until the late 60's, and cannot wait to see your future posts on that decade. I wish I had kept the old catalogues and newsletters that I received back then.
Thanks for the kind words. I have retained hobby materials going back to the mid-70s, some of which I've posted here (such as this 1979 price list from mail-order dealer Paul Marchant: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209650). But the items in this post are all from before I was born, and are among the many old hobby publications I've collected over the past 20+ years. I think most of the Gordon Taylor stuff originally belonged to Ray Medeiros, a longtime collector who meticulously saved all kinds of hobby publications starting in the late 40s (most of which I now have), and who is still around and semi-active in the hobby in his 80s. (Ray was also the original owner of the 1950s issues of Sport Fan from which I've posted many articles.) I'm not sure, but I think the Card Collectors' Company stuff I posted originally came from Irv Lerner. I got those price lists along with a bunch of hobby publications addressed to Lerner, and I know (from George Vrechek's interview with him in SCD) that Lerner started buying a lot of cards from Card Collectors' Company in 1959.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Great post, what an enjoyable read! I love the Jack Davis illustrations in Card Comments.

Last edited by toppcat; 01-01-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsq View Post
David,
as always, love your postings. just a real treat to review card history.

now for an insight i have not seen before:

many discussions of the 52 topps high numbers revolving around sy berger, if i recall correctly, that these extra cases of 52 topps hi numbers sat around topps warehouse, or storage for, depending on the story,
a. some years,
or
b. many years,
before being sent out on a barge into the ocean. (a viking funeral of sorts for mickey rookies)

your above research regarding these sales lists indicate that is not a true story nor a plausible story.

no way would gelman and rosen, who had access to all of topps inventory, be running out of 52 high numbers on the lists you show in this sales sheet of rosens 4 years later in oct 56 and no way would they be selling 52 topps at such a premium price right out of the gate IF the cards were sitting within their grasp. note the 56 list price of hi number 52 topps at 5 cents, same as the 51 topps team cards and 51 topps current all stars!

the logical conclusion is those topps 52 hi numbers were long gone by seasons end and definately by 1956 and the barge story is not very plausible unless the barge drop was shortly after fall of 1952

****and even that STRAINS creduality for the very simple logic that rosen had a great supply of 52 low numbers, why would topps dump the hi numbers and not the low numbers if dumping was their modus operandi???*****
it is a fun sy berger story, like the "babe ruth sat out today with an upset stomach" stories the sports press used to spiel.

also topps would have been happy to capitalize on dead inventory at a premium or for that matter normal wholesale price, obviously they did this with the 52 topps low numbers as rosen had plenty, if the market existed AND THESE LISTS SHOW A MARKET CERTAINLY EXISTED.

a friend of mine bought thousands of cases of topps material in the late 60's and early 70's as returns from season end retail at a huge discount from wholesale price as topps was thrilled to get anything for what they viewed as dead inventory. all of those cases are long gone, sold back into the hobby in the 90's. and larry fritsch ALSO bought thousands of cases in this same manner from at least the mid 60's forward. topps took the money wherever they could find it.

so lets hear some other comments as we noodle on this logic connundrum.
I had never heard of the story that cases of these cards sat around for years, before being dumped in the ocean, until this year.
I had read they were dumped originally and always assumed it was shortly after seeing their cards not selling, but now I have doubts if any cards were dumped, and if some were, it was likely the double printed cards? (read below)

In my opinion, Topps likely had the foresight to see/know that their high series numbered cards, or last series cards, would not sell because they were going to be released so late in the season/year?
With that in mind, I believe Topps didn't print as many as they did with their first series prior? (1-311)

I am not sure when Topps decided to double print some of their cards, 311 Mantle's, 312 Robinson's, etc, but I am assuming it wasn't until after they seen/realized these cards were selling better than they originally thought?

Imo, they likely printed more of these DP cards than they needed as the demand likely quickly wore off, which wasn't far from their original thinking, but just not as long as they were hoping for after they did the DP's?

Of course this is all conjecture and my personal thoughts only, but without any real concrete facts known to exist anywhere, I thought I'd throw out another possibility/theory?

Last edited by irv; 01-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

Anyone care to join me?

Ok, I'll buy a ticket. Please push 1894 for me.