NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default BEWARE on eBay draggin98sdime is seller

He sold me a Satchel Paige 1949 leaf and sent only an empty case. I have had to file a police report locally and send to eBay to hopefully get this mess resolved.

He provided eBay with a tracking number so it appears that he sent card.

I just wanted to give all you guys a heads up as he had other cards for sale and I would not want anyone else to get scammed like me.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Dan Bretta

You should provide ebay with a link to the thread you started about this card a week or so back.. Sorry to hear you got scammed.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default gareterag

I just returned from vacation. I am sorry to hear that you are the buyer of this card from this scam artist.

Prior to going on vacation, I tried to alert EBAY of this situation and could not get through to them.

Anything I can do to help you recover your $$$$ from this seller, I am willing to help you. As he has stolen
my scans (and other Net54er's scans)....and, will continue to do so until we put a stop to him.

Please no PM's......email me at......tedzan11@comcast.net

TED Z
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
edward broeth

thanks for the heads up..wow that is not a cheap card either. good luck

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareterag View Post
He sold me a Satchel Paige 1949 leaf and sent only an empty case. I have had to file a police report locally and send to eBay to hopefully get this mess resolved.

He provided eBay with a tracking number so it appears that he sent card.

I just wanted to give all you guys a heads up as he had other cards for sale and I would not want anyone else to get scammed like me.
Why haven't you left negative feedback yet to alert others?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default I didn't know I could leave neg feedback with open case

I currently have a case open with eBay and didnt know I could leave feedback while a case is open.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I currently have a case open with eBay and didnt know I could leave feedback while a case is open.
You can leave a negative at any time. Go right ahead.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM
jim quinlisk

Seems like whenever I see a scam on ebay it comes with something like this

"Do to the fact that i was the victim of the old bait and switch on ebay before with a sale this card is 100% NON REFUNDABLE. i'm not going to be in a situation where i lose a very valuable card, AND the money that was paid for it. sorry for the rest of you HONEST ebayers, but one bad person ruins it for everyone."

I'm sure ebay will side with you but I still hate the stress of waiting for them to do the right thing. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Bill Hedin

Default wishing you the best

I was very sad to read about your problem. I know what a beautiful and rare card this is and can only imagine the terrible feeling when you opened the box.

I have faith in ebay doing the right thing in this situation for you. Don't let the waiting game get to you. Stay positive and we are all hoping you get this resolved soon.

Ted Z is a great guy and I'm proud to be his friend here after reading that he'll help you in any way. The Net54 brotherhood is a great place.

Good luck and you are in my best thoughts,

Bill Hedin
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Justin Cur.ze

Never buy from a guy who's sellin' 80% tools and 20% baseball memorabilia. What a racket. When you purchased, it usually gives you the seller's name and address in an email from EBay. What was his name, and what town is he from? I'm pretty good at doing the whole dredge the internet thing and I can see if I can get you a phone number and such.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Justin Cur.ze

whoops...

Last edited by grundle20; 06-16-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: i misclicked
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle20 View Post
Never buy from a guy who's sellin' 80% tools and 20% baseball memorabilia. What a racket. When you purchased, it usually gives you the seller's name and address in an email from EBay. What was his name, and what town is he from? I'm pretty good at doing the whole dredge the internet thing and I can see if I can get you a phone number and such.
What do you use? I find pipl.com to be the best people search around.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default A nickel's worth of free advice

This is too late to help you now... but this is what I do. Whenever I get a high value package delivered, I video the opening of the package. I make sure that the video shows the sealed package with its return address and the confirmation/insurance labels.

Now, I've never had to utilize the video I recorded as the packages have always been as described. I also don't know if this technique would hold up legally, but it holds a little more weight than the 'his word against mine' scenario.

I've also heard of others who have opened packages in front of UPS or USPS carriers to serve as a witness.

Regardless, I hope that you are able to recoup your money without too much hassle.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
What's the 80% 20% got to do with anything? When I was selling I sold a pretty wide variety of stuff all of it legit. And some of it happened to be sports stuff. Just because someone has a wider range of interests doesn't make them a scammer.

Here's hoping the law will teach the actual scammer a lesson.

Steve B
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Rob G.

thanks for the warning on that ebay seller gareterag. Sorry this happened to you.

Luckily for this instance, a fellow board member has the actual card being sold. What would happen if gareterag filed the claim w/o evidence that someone else owns the card, thus the seller could never have sold it? I could sell a card and the buyer could claim I sent him an empty case, who would win? its he said / she said. Who would win?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Barry Sloate

Very good point Rob. If the buyer could prove that Ted Z. still owns the card, it would have been impossible for the seller to have owned it or shipped it. That would be case closed.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Justin Cur.ze

Also, to let you all know the type of guy we're dealing with, I messaged this guy yesterday on EBay, inquiring about this case. Here's what he had to say back:

you people are so full of shit it's unreal. hahah I absolutely sent that guy the exact card in the scans and he absolutely recieved it. hes just trying to pull some shit b/c he had a change of heart after the auction was already over and after i already mailed the card. I definitely didn't steal any pics from anyone so you f'ing retards should seriously just shut the hell up.

Classy dude. Garetag, if you want me to forward this message to you for your case for any reason, you can message me personally and I'll forward it to you via email.

Last edited by Leon; 06-17-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: took out f-bomb
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default That's the same type of messages I received

eBay made me "communicate" with the seller for a week before they would escalate my case and I got so frustrated with his responses as they were all classless and we got nowhere as all he wanted to do was cuss and all me a liar. Ted contacted eBay yesterday for me and told them that his card was the actually scanned card and I really hope that helps my case as eBay sent me a message they are still investigating and will let me know something next Tuesday. I will be back in town Sunday and plan on leaving this guy negative fedback to help others and I will look through my eBay emails and Paypal and see if I can find his personal information....odd thing though is that he was "verified" on Paypal...I guess that doesnt hold much weight.

Thanks guys for your support and help as this has truly been really stressful and disappointing

Garet
Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Bob Beck

The guy states he sold a raw 1955 Topps Mantle that came back a PSA 6 for some lucky buyer. What is a rarity like that worth?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Garet,

Good luck with your case, but why haven't you left this scumbag negative feedback yet? Your feedback can warn others.

David
Old 06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

One of his listings is for a pair of Snap-On wrenches. In his description he says, "career change means i won't be needing these anymore." Career change = scammer. Guess it's easier to scam than to work for a living.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
One of his listings is for a pair of Snap-On wrenches. In his description he says, "career change means i won't be needing these anymore." Career change = scammer. Guess it's easier to scam than to work for a living.

I guess the bigger question is, why would a standard wrench cost $110? Snap-On brand or not.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Justin Cur.ze

Regarding the negative feedback, just keep in mind, of course, that the minute you leave him negative feedback, guess what? Yup. You get negative feedback. So before I rushed out and did that, I'd weigh what it's worth to have a red negative in your column. If you don't mind, then of course do it.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Dave

Quote:
Regarding the negative feedback, just keep in mind, of course, that the minute you leave him negative feedback, guess what? Yup. You get negative feedback. So before I rushed out and did that, I'd weigh what it's worth to have a red negative in your column. If you don't mind, then of course do it.

Sellers can't leave buyers negatives.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:03 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default Thats also what I was worried about

If I left him bad feedback how quick would he leave me negative feedback as I would hate to go through this mess and still get a red mark against my feedback.

Are you sure sellers cannot leave feedback?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Are you sure sellers cannot leave feedback?
This is correct, been this way for awhile, maybe 2 years that sellers can only leave Positive feedback or nothing.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default I went ahead and left negative feedback

At this point I am so angry at this person and the mess that he is causing that I would rather warn others and if he ends up leaving me negative feedback maybe I can talk with eBay and have it removed as I paid him immediately and he has no reason to leave me negative feedback.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Dave

Yes, sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers, regardless of the circumstances.

Otherwise I'd leave negs for the dozen or so reneged bids I get throughout the year.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Sellers can only leave positives, but sometimes they leave "false negatives." For example,

Positive Feedback
Message says: ***** Neg: BUYER SCAMMED ME OF MY CARD WITH FAKE CLAIM!!! DIRTBAG LIAR! SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!****
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 PM

While reporting the seller to eBay you should also report him to your Police Department, his Police Department and the US Postal Inspector.

David
Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default I do have him reported to my police dept

I had to open an incident report with my police department earlier in the week and met with detectives yesterday to go over all the details and they have his name and address from the package....thats to say he used his actual address. The only problem was that the detectives were pretty negative about recovering money from scammers on eBay and said its pretty hard to get your money back in most cases.

I am hoping that eBay will come through for me and not allow this jerk to take my money and send nothing.

Last edited by gareterag; 06-17-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Robert Williams

He responded to your negative by saying that you are the one trying to get over on Ebay. However, you can leave a "follow-up" feedback below his that will give you the last word if you so choose....
Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Edward F.

Default Red flags all over.

Red Flag 1:
I'm selling bits and pieces of my grandfathers baseball card collection. This collection ranges from the early 20's to the mid 60's. most of the cards in the collection are in really great shape for as old as they are.

9 out of 10 times when a seller says that he is selling his gradfathers baseball cards that was found in the attic are a scam

Red Flag 2:
And for all you doubters that are going to tell me this card is probably a reprint....... I've taken this card to a very knowledgable card dealer in my area and he told me he's almost 100% sure it's real and he has already made me a very generous cash offer for the card.

He went out of his way to make sure that the buyer doesn't have any doubt that the card is a reprint. When I looked at it that was the first thing I thought. The whole story with it being found in a old 1951 newspaper doesn't help his case either.

Red Flag 3:
a 55 topps mantle card, a 54 bowman ted williams, and a few other less famous players. FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME WITH OFFERS AS WELL. I"M OPEN TO SERIOUS OFFERS

There is no such thing as a 1955 Topps Mantle card. The seller could mean a 1955 Bowman Mantle but someone who is selling such a high priced Paige should know the difference. He knows enough about the hobby to know that the Paige is a rare card.

Delivery confirmation and insurance will be included, and card will be packed EXTREMELY carefully!

Did you sign for the card when you got it? This could be used by the seller to claim that the card was delivered to you and after you opened it you claimed the package was empty.

Ebay might side with the seller on this one. Best of luck in your case

Last edited by T205; 06-18-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: spelling correction:
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
I had to open an incident report with my police department earlier in the week and met with detectives yesterday to go over all the details and they have his name and address from the package....thats to say he used his actual address. The only problem was that the detectives were pretty negative about recovering money from scammers on eBay and said its pretty hard to get your money back in most cases.

I am hoping that eBay will come through for me and not allow this jerk to take my money and send nothing.
be careful here. i believe you stated earlier he had a tracking #. ebay may say as long as a tracking # was provided he sent the item even if the package was empty.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 AM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default Maybe eBay will allow me to send it back:)

I will be glad to send eBay a tracking number as well and let them know I sent the package back to him.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Yesterday morning I emailed this seller about one of his other items - a Duke Snider autographed baseball - and asked him if he would accept a check as form of payment. I was hoping he would say yes and I would then click the BIN and ask him for his address. Then I had planned to PM the OP and give him the name and address to see if it matched what the OP had.

Anyway, he didn't respond to my email. This morning I went ahead and clicked the BIN anyway. Shortly thereafter, I received the following message from the seller:

"hahahah i just realized who you are. How about you DON"T buy my stuff when all you're trying to do is to get information for that guy that claims i scammed him out of a card he purchased. in fact let me help you out. somehow hes saying that he doesn't have access to my info which is total BS, but here you go.

Mike Babski
304 wall st.
hummelstown pa 17036.

He or anyone else that wants to assume stuff is MORE than welcome to hit me up as i have all kinds of documentation that his card was shipped and arrived just as it should have. and just FYI if you're not going to pay for the ball then i'll be sure to take the appropriate measures and have ur account suspended for lack of payment. thanks!

OH and as for the snap on wrenches. you can look them up on the snap on web site. 'm selling 2 (two) wrenches that sell for upwards of $70 EACH that's how "a wrench sells for $110) b/c there's 2 not one. read the add again"

If he knew who I was, then that means he is reading this thread. My guess is that he is/was a board member (or maybe a friend of a board member) at one time and that's also how he stole Ted's scan. After his email I requested his contact information through eBay and it matched the contact information in his email.

Tomorrow morning I will mail the seller an envelope with cash to pay for my purchase. I will send it with delivery confirmation to prove it was received (just as he mailed the OP's package). I sure hope he doesn't take my cash and not mail the ball. After all, I would have delivery confirmation that the payment was sent and that might warrant me leaving him negative feedback.

If anybody has an eBay account they're willing to sacrifice, I encourage them to do the same thing. Time to get this POS off eBay...and behind bars.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Dave

Guess he didn't like my crack about his wrenches. LOL!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The seller is definitely reading these boards. After I posted the message, he sent me a message that says:

"I will NOT be accepting your "envelope of cash" for the ball either. Feel free to send it but payment is through PAYPAL only or certified check with 7 days to allow it to clear. If you try and send the envelope it will be opened at the post office with the postmaster present. if the envelope would be empty, fraud charges will be filed against you and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

I can't believe that he would suggest that I would send an empty envelope.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The seller is definitely reading these boards. After I posted the message, he sent me a message that says:

"I will NOT be accepting your "envelope of cash" for the ball either. Feel free to send it but payment is through PAYPAL only or certified check with 7 days to allow it to clear. If you try and send the envelope it will be opened at the post office with the postmaster present. if the envelope would be empty, fraud charges will be filed against you and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

I can't believe that he would suggest that I would send an empty envelope.
David,

If he is reading these boards, how is it that the ADMIN's don't put a stop to this (unless you don't have to be a member to read the posts). It is VERY obvious to me the seller "STOLE" Ted Z.'s scan (which can be proven), and attempted to use fraud to get paid for something. If this can be proven, how is that not mail fraud as well??

Thoughts, anyone?? It is time we get SCUMBAGS like this off eBay
Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Steven Finley

Since it is pretty obvious the the seller draggin98sdime obviously reads these boards it would be nice if he would chime in with his side of the story. Topics could include:
*The stolen Paige scan.
*The stolen Gehrig scan.
*The purchase of a Gehrig RP a month before the stolen Gehrig scan auction.

Another topic I would like to touch.
*If the OP clearly brought the issue of the fishy listing to the board and knew of the stolen scan, why drop almost 3k on the card?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
*If the OP clearly brought the issue of the fishy listing to the board and knew of the stolen scan, why drop almost 3k on the card?
Steve,

I was thinking the same thing. It was quite odd that the OP purchased and paid for the card, then less than 3 hours later scans the board and finds Ted's image, then asks for the boards opinion. What made the buyer look at the board so soon after buying the card? I definitely would have done my homework prior to dropping that kind of money.

With that said, the seller is obviously a scammer who stole the scan from Ted. I hope the OP gets his money back and the seller is prosecuted to the fullest extent.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:53 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default Scans noticed after purchase:(

I already purchased the card and then a few hours later browsing through the boards I came across the scans. I thought it was a legit transaction at the time of purchase up to the point that I saw Teds post from 10/2009 with the exact same scans of the item that I purchased a few hours beforehand.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default Also to note

I really did alot of reading about the Paige card before the purchase and it was completely ironic that I did a "leaf Paige" search and came across the posting with the scans but unfortunately it was a few hours after I made the purchase so the whole thing was just by chance.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharri3600 View Post
be careful here. i believe you stated earlier he had a tracking #. ebay may say as long as a tracking # was provided he sent the item even if the package was empty.

A tracking number means nothing to ebay. Proof of delivery via a delivery confirmation means nothing to ebay. Ebay has become incredibly slanted toward the buyers now and honest and reliable sellers bear the brunt of this policy. It all began with that woman whose policy wrecked ebay while she was in charge, I forget her name but didn't she run for governor of California (and lost thank God).? Whitman?
Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM

eBay will almost always go for the buyer if you do it right. Did you send the package back with signature confirmation? eBay says that's needed with items over $250. Then again, he could always just not sign it.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:33 PM
CharlesHoown
Banned

Default I am still waiting for eBay

eBay said they will contact me on Tuesday and let me know what to do next. Surely they wont have me ship an empty box back to him.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 AM

I tried to search the seller and couldn't find anything. Did they get booted or did I not search it correctly?

Scratch that, I tried again after posting this and realized I was searching his ID as the item description so I moved it to the correct box and found it.

Good luck OP BTW, I hope you are able to get some resolution to this in your favor.

Last edited by thadd; 06-20-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

It looks like someone else left this scumbag a couple of negs. I got a feeling he'll be getting one from me too!

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

Also, I have an investigator friend of mine that is digging up all kinds of dirt on this POS. I won't say too much because I know he is reading this thread, but did you know about 10 years ago this POS was once on the Dean's List at his college? How do you go from Dean's List to scam artist?

Edited to post correct link

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default open forum

This forum is very open. Most people can read it and see most posted pictures. There are certain places that you have to be a logged in as a member to get to see, such as the BST areas. That might be one of the reasons we have so few (knock on wood) issues over there relative to the transactions. We have always known that scammers and rip off artists read the board. Unless it is closed to the public then that is the way it is. We take the good with the bad.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Jeff Gross

I don't know about anybody else, but if I honestly believed I was ripped off for a large amount of money, rest asure I would be on the next flight to Hummelstown, PA to reslolve the issue face to face. Ironically, the seller only lives about an hour away from me.

Question: Am I crazy? don't awser that b/c I already know the answer. But how much of a loss would it take before taking a drive to the seller's address?