NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default To the Boxing Collectors!

Posted By: Josh

What issue is the most rare?
What issue is the most sought after?
What is the most sought after card in the hobby?
What issue do you recommend going after if you want a huge challenge?
Thanks,

Josh

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am sure there will be some of our nice boxing collectors that will chime in. If not I will email some of them and harass them until they do ....

Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

What issue is the most rare?
Hard to say. There are quite a few issues with only 1 specimen known and quite a few more that are only a handful of known cards. Other issues are known to be incomplete with new cards popping up equivalent to 1 of 1s.

What issue is the most sought after?
That is not an easy question. The most widely collected are probably T218, T220, 1948 Leaf and 1951 Ringside.

What is the most sought after card in the hobby?
1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano is the most expensive (last sale at $27,600). It is not the rarest card (there are a handful known) but it has the aura like the T206 Wagner.

What issue do you recommend going after if you want a huge challenge?
Depends on your definition. N174 Old Judge/Gypsy Queen, N338 SF Hess, E80, T226 Red Sun are all issues that are not known in complete set form. If you want the impossible and very expensive dream, those are your huckleberries. You could also frustrate yourself with rare brands like T218/T220 Tolstoi or T210 Red Cross; I know of only one actual set from those, a T219 Red Cross set. If you want a very tough but do-able challenge, N269 Lorillards, T229 Pet Cigarettes, E77 are some good choices. If you just want a never-ending chase, try collecting every Exhibit boxing card.

www.americasgreatboxingcards.com

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks....>We appreciate your expertise.....Look forward to seeing you at the National again...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

What issue is the most rare? Pet Cigarettes
What issue is the most sought after? 1951 Ringside Cards (Collectors just love them) and you can still make a set of them without spending too much
What is the most sought after card in the hobby? 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano
What issue do you recommend going after if you want a huge challenge? Old Judge Boxing Cards

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Great answers, Adam !!! See you at the National !!!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

You guys are awesome!! I am going after the T218 and T220 sets first!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Jimmy: Pet is easier than many of the N cards: N60, N150, N174 variations, N223, N286, N332, N386, N537. Every one of those issues would cost more and has a lesser pop than Pet. I'd also have to put E211 above it in rarity. Of course, we are arguing angels on the head of a pin here because all the sets are rare. I know of only one complete Pet/Kopec boxing set and no one with a complete Pet/Kopec all sports set (we don't even have the last 10 cards catalogued).

T218 and T220 are great choices. I happen to think that the T218 set has some of the finest lithographic images in any sports set from any era.

I'll be at the National barring unforeseen mishaps; very much looking forward to it.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I understand, I kind was thinking in terms of regular issues I come across, but you are right N cards are hard and I just never have them avaliable for my custoumers. When we buy collections there never seems to be any

Jimmy

Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

1) Most Rare Issue:

If you are focusing on 20th century North American(Pre WWII) issues and not taking into account backs(Tolsoi, Red Cross, Kopec) here are my top 5:
1 - Strollers Cigarettes
2 - York Caramels
3 - Robertson Candy
4 - E80
5 - Red Sun

Runner-ups include E78, Dixie Queen, PET/Kopec, Bread Labels

2) Most popular issue:

19th Century -
1 - N174 Old Judge/Gypsy Queen
2 - N310 Mayo
3 - N266 Lorillard Red Cross
4 - N269 Lorillard Mechanics
5 - N332 SF Hess

20th Century -
1 - 1951 Ringside
2 - 1948 Leaf
3 - 1910 T218
4 - 1910 E79
5 - 1910 T220 or E75

3) Most sought after card:

Tough question to answer. There is not the same supply of boxing cards as compared to baseball, therefore there are many unique cards of greats such as John L. Sullivan and Jack Dempsey just to name a few. Definitely the 1948 Leaf Graziano is up there and would probably be considered the most valuable but there are many cards I would rather have that are known to exist but maybe only 1-2 copies are out there.

4) Issue to go after if you want a challenge?

If you are looking for a challenge(6-8 month range) plus affordable I would focus on a T set and an E set. So my recommendation to you would be the T218 set and the E79 set. Both very doable and also somewhat affordable as long as mid grade, common backs for the T218 set and vg cards for the E79 set are your focus.

All the best Josh and good luck!
Brent

Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Wow, Thank you so much. I really appreciate you laying all that out for me. What you wrote is the exact information I was looking for. I have gone crazy in the last few weeks buying a lot of Boxing cards. I am enjoying them more than baseball at the current time. I am almost done with the t218 and t220! Thanks again, and it is people like you that make this board the best around!