NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Default Kyrie to Dallas good or bad?

Kyrie was traded to Dallas

What do we think?

Was it a good trade for Dallas?
Was it a good trade for the Nets?
Could the Nets have gotten more?
Will this help or hurt both teams?
Will Durant want out of Brooklyn now?
How does this affect the lakers?

Thoughts?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-06-2023, 05:07 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Kyrie was traded to Dallas

What do we think?

Was it a good trade for Dallas?
Was it a good trade for the Nets?
Could the Nets have gotten more?
Will this help or hurt both teams?
Will Durant want out of Brooklyn now?
How does this affect the lakers?

Thoughts?
IMO:

Risky but good move for Dallas

Nets could have had two Lakers future firsts, but wanted to stay competitive
for this year with the two players they got back

Durant will leave anyway, since the two players he wanted to play with there are now gone

Lakers season will continue to go down the drain

If I ran a team, Irving wouldn't be on it, no matter what. Terrible teammate and foolish person, despite his talent
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-06-2023, 05:22 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
IMO:

If I ran a team, Irving wouldn't be on it, no matter what. Terrible teammate and foolish person, despite his talent
Agreed.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:13 PM
Al Stein

Great deal for the Nets, under the circumstances. Kyrie's contract is up, and he was floating, according to Bleacher Report, that he could get injured and not be able to play the rest of the season. So I think anything the Nets could get was a plus. And they ended up getting two starter-level players and two first round draft picks. If they can somehow convert Dinwiddie and a pick into VanVleet that would be even better.

I also can see the Mav's side of it. They screwed up by not re-signing Brunson and now need to show Luka they are willing to spend to support him and the team. Mavs probably had better options out there, because I can't imagine them getting value for whatever extension they give to Kyrie, but we will probably never know what their option B was.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:16 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Great deal for the Nets, under the circumstances. Kyrie's contract is up, and he was floating, according to Bleacher Report, that he could get injured and not be able to play the rest of the season. So I think anything the Nets could get was a plus. And they ended up getting two starter-level players and two first round draft picks. If they can somehow convert Dinwiddie and a pick into VanVleet that would be even better.

I also can see the Mav's side of it. They screwed up by not re-signing Brunson and now need to show Luka they are willing to spend to support him and the team. Mavs probably had better options out there, because I can't imagine them getting value for whatever extension they give to Kyrie, but we will probably never know what their option B was.
The Nets didn't get two first round picks - they got a first and two seconds.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-06-2023, 07:18 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
The Nets didn't get two first round picks - they got a first and two seconds.
That's all you got?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2023, 08:08 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
That's all you got?

I posted a longer comment earlier
Old 02-06-2023, 10:52 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
I posted a longer comment earlier
Well, let's see what Durant does. He came to Brooklyn because he wanted to show everyone he could win a championship on his own. It hasn't worked so far but maybe he is not ready to give up.

I think Lavine would play well with LeBron and AD. Bulls could use those 2 Lakers draft picks to re-tool.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:09 AM
Peter Nordquist

I think Dallas is killin’ it with this deal and Kyrie-Luka after a month will start looking a little like Kyrie-LeBron did.
I also have the unpopular opinion that the media blows everything out of proportion and that Kyrie is not anti-Semitic like he says.
I admit I don’t know all the details, but I’m sick of everyone jumping on a bandwagon to hate someone just because the media says they should. My Jewish friend said playfully that I don’t like him because I said this about Kyrie. It proved my point exactly that hate by association isn’t hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Now a block buster.

I lost respect for Durant.

Because his friend Kyrie is out he wanted to be traded.

So Phoenix gets Durant. Nets get a monster package of picks and some solid players.

Nets will remain competitive but will now be irrelevant

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 02-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Matt G

Default Dallas

As a Mavs fan, I love seeing Cuban go for talent to help Luka

But I hate seeing us choose talent with poor reputation. I hope to be proven wrong though. I can’t say I’ve met Kai so it’s wrong for me to bash him… that being said, it usually doesn’t end well this route.

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 02-09-2023, 09:59 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHoneyToast View Post

But I hate seeing us choose talent with poor reputation. I hope to be proven wrong though. I can’t say I’ve met Kai so it’s wrong for me to bash him… that being said, it usually doesn’t end well this route.
At least he has to stay with the team until the offseason!

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 02-09-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:32 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

and he starts off poorly reputation wise.
He already deleted his tweet of his apology for the anti-semetic movie that he shouted it.
But on the court first game he helps them win

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 02-10-2023, 08:50 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Irving is a timebomb of a slow growing cancer everywhere he goes. He thinks of nothing but himself in each and every situation and would think nothing of pulling himself from a game seven for the pettiest of nonsensical reasons.

I think the Knicks did fantastic with what they received and this will certainly not help the Mavs other than the usual couple flashes that Kyrie shows just prior to making some monumental bonehead move to keep the suckers thinking he can somehow pull it together.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:43 AM
Dave

Kyrie is a fantastic talent. I've seen him outplay Steph Curry head to head in several big games through the years. Curry is my favorite player in the NBA right now, so that's saying a lot coming from me.

However, the term "mercurial" is too kind for him. He's a knucklehead, masquerading as a "free thinker". He's not a scumbag on the level of Antonio Brown...he's just a knucklehead. I'm sure at some point in his life, him and Kanye West will pool their resources together to form some sort of a media conglomerate superteam of knuckleheads.

He might help the Mavericks short term, and maybe even get them a couple rounds into the playoffs this season. I think he's a big game player, unlike his briefly former team-mate James Harden...but they'd be silly to give him a max contract.

He's going to be super useful whenever Luca has to take a break, nurse an injury or miss a game. The depth he provides at the Guard position will be fantastic for the Mavs. I'm skeptical how he's going to actually share the court with Luca though. A lot of their skill sets overlap. He's never liked being the number 2 guy.

He begged out of Cleveland, because HE wanted to be Lebron somewhere else, he never fit in, in Boston, and he was an absolute nightmare in New Jersey, AFTER they threw a boatload of money at him.

I don't know how you give a guy a max contract, when you know he's going to make himself unavailable, or go his own way, whenever the wind blows a different way for him...but Mark Cuban fancies himself a players owner and an armchair psychologist, so maybe he's deluded himself into thinking he can control Kyrie and his instincts.

And lastly...........who knew the super team of Kyrie, Durant and James Harden, wasn't going to work out for the Nets.

Even Harden, whose playing style I seriously dislike, but who at least shows up for work everyday and can be a legitimate difference maker, knew this was going to be an untenable situation, and got himself out of there as quickly as Kyrie could say "The Earth Is Flat".
Old 02-10-2023, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Basketball? Except for Luka, I would rather watch the cows on my street chew their cud. To each their own. I guess if the Mavs get into the championships I might watch a game. He brings with him a ton of baggage too, so that could be interesting. I am neutral on the pick up (obviously).

Last edited by Leon; 02-10-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:12 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Mavs are legit contenders now, which is more than you could say before the trade. If nothing else, the busy trade deadline has me curious to see some of the new-look teams at the top of the western conference. (I'm a big basketball fan in general but the NBA regular season has become a real snooze fest over the last decade or so.)
Old 02-11-2023, 06:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Mavs are legit contenders now, which is more than you could say before the trade. If nothing else, the busy trade deadline has me curious to see some of the new-look teams at the top of the western conference. (I'm a big basketball fan in general but the NBA regular season has become a real snooze fest over the last decade or so.)
It will make the Dallas team interesting on and off the court.

I think it was a risky trade with high upside potential and for just the rest of this season they trade to much depth away.
If they sign him long term I think it is a bigger risk because once Kyrie gets his money he will be who he is.

This year I think Dallas picked up a lot of upside but gave up to much depth. You need depth in the playoffs

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 02-11-2023, 10:13 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
It will make the Dallas team interesting on and off the court.

I think it was a risky trade with high upside potential and for just the rest of this season they trade to much depth away.
If they sign him long term I think it is a bigger risk because once Kyrie gets his money he will be who he is.

This year I think Dallas picked up a lot of upside but gave up to much depth. You need depth in the playoffs
That's for sure! Perimeter defense is the thing they lost the most IMO - Luka and Kyrie are not great defenders. Also some speculation now that Irving and LeBron are already planning a reunion in LA next season.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:46 AM
Dave

Funny, I just realized about the Nets situation. Has any other team in this strong of a playoff position, halfway through the season, had their top 2 stars basically quit on them and force a trade?

I can see if you're in the bottom half of the standings and you're looking for a way out...but the Nets were in a solid playoff position, playing nearly .600 ball at the time of the trades.

Is Ben Simmons THAT difficult to play with?
Old 02-12-2023, 08:51 AM
Dave

Kyrie and Luka had a pretty good game together last night in an OT losing effort on the road, it looks like.

That's a really sparse looking lineup otherwise though.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:37 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Funny, I just realized about the Nets situation. Has any other team in this strong of a playoff position, halfway through the season, had their top 2 stars basically quit on them and force a trade?

I can see if you're in the bottom half of the standings and you're looking for a way out...but the Nets were in a solid playoff position, playing nearly .600 ball at the time of the trades.

I can't think of one. Another funny thing - the Nets still have a decent team and could make the playoffs....if they win one playoff series they will equal the achievements of the "superteam"!
Old 02-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

Good Point

Now watch them drop like a rock.

But hopefully the re-images Nets team does something and hopefully Durant and Kyrie struggle with their new teams

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-02-2023, 09:58 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Dallas is now 1-4 with Irving. Theyve also fallen out of the top 6 and into the play-in bracket. Not working out great so far
Old 03-02-2023, 11:17 AM
Dave

Quote:
Dallas is now 1-4 with Irving. Theyve also fallen out of the top 6 and into the play-in bracket. Not working out great so far

They're 3-5 since Kyrie got there, and 3-4 in games Kyrie has played. I believe it's 1-4 when Kyrie and Luka play in the same game. Their one win together was against an absolutely terrible Spurs team.

You can read that a few different ways.

New team-mates, and just about every game is very close. Give them time and they might gel just enough to be successful eventually.

or, they're playing pretty good individually, but with their over-lapping skill sets, it leaves too many holes on the floor with the rest of the team, and they suffer on the defensive and rebounding end, even when they're both playing well offensively.

I think Kyrie is at a point he wants to impress and be a good team-mate...for now. What happens when he loses interest, catches too much criticism, or binge watches a hundred episodes of "The UFO/Bigfoot Files" in a row...is anybody's guess.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:38 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
They're 3-5 since Kyrie got there, and 3-4 in games Kyrie has played. I believe it's 1-4 when Kyrie and Luka play in the same game. Their one win together was against an absolutely terrible Spurs team.

New team-mates, and just about every game is very close. Give them time and they might gel just enough to be successful eventually.

or, they're playing pretty good individually, but with their over-lapping skill sets, it leaves too many holes on the floor with the rest of the team, and they suffer on the defensive and rebounding end, even when they're both playing well offensively.

I think Kyrie is at a point he wants to impress and be a good team-mate...for now. What happens when he loses interest, catches too much criticism, or binge watches a hundred episodes of "The UFO/Bigfoot Files" in a row...is anybody's guess.
Yes, you're right - my mistake. I agree they have time to get things on track, especially with so many teams in the west packed together in the standings.

To me Kidd has never seemed like a great coach, and I'm sure he's doing his best, but man what a task to try and manage those two personalities! Both unquestionable talents, but Luka is still really lacking in maturity IMO and Kyrie is, well, Kyrie ...
Old 03-02-2023, 03:32 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

Good points but I am hoping he fails.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-02-2023, 04:03 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

kyrie to anybody has been bad pretty much since he left his drafted team
Old 03-03-2023, 08:26 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

very well said. I think he is a great owner but some decisions should be better made

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-03-2023, 10:26 AM
Dave

Quote:
very well said. I think he is a great owner but some decisions should be better made

Cuban whiffed on Porzingis to. Maybe twice. Couldn't stay on the floor with Dallas (which was no surprise)...but has become the Wizards best player (who knows for how long) since Dallas gave up on him and sent him packing.

Dallas still owes a 1st round pick to the Knicks for him.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:21 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Cuban whiffed on Porzingis to. Maybe twice. Couldn't stay on the floor with Dallas (which was no surprise)...but has become the Wizards best player (who knows for how long) since Dallas gave up on him and sent him packing.

Dallas still owes a 1st round pick to the Knicks for him.
knew about Porzingas but did not realized they still owed the knicks a first round pick.

NBA is confusing with so many trades with so many picks often being up to 6 years out

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-05-2023, 07:57 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjere View Post
I think Dallas is killin’ it with this deal and Kyrie-Luka after a month will start looking a little like Kyrie-LeBron did.
I also have the unpopular opinion that the media blows everything out of proportion and that Kyrie is not anti-Semitic like he says.
I admit I don’t know all the details, but I’m sick of everyone jumping on a bandwagon to hate someone just because the media says they should. My Jewish friend said playfully that I don’t like him because I said this about Kyrie. It proved my point exactly that hate by association isn’t hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter if Irving is actually anti-Semitic or just an idiot. Jews have been increasing under attack in the US (edit: can't find the source for the stat I referenced, but Jews are disproportionately targeted beyond any other religion in the US by a wide margin) And Irving referenced a movie that perpetuates the myths that are the basis for some of these ideas; and then spoke of 'having an army behind him.'

I frankly don't care if a person is anti-Semitic. On its own, it's ignorant and stupid, but it's not dangerous. But what Irving did is potentially very, very dangerous. Statements like that by a person who views himself as a victim and has an enormous following is dangerous, and can easily have led to violence.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 03-05-2023 at 08:05 PM.