NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-03-2023, 01:23 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Default Thought provoking video

This is real sobering:

https://youtu.be/v382gF6TR-Q
Old 01-03-2023, 05:36 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

For many of this is almost the norm.

Bordering on an addiction and also and enjoyment.

I have made great friends from the hobby and spend time talking or texting them related to the cards.
I have made alot of time and I do spend time researching and exploring every auction, ebay etc to check for cards, pricing etc.
I have sometimes overextended my budget and resources to get specific cards.
Then I have to step back from buying for sometime (ie months or more) to regroup the funds.
The Hardest part is the day the auction ends and especially the evenings in extended time and get into the bid frenzy.
Then when I do the Oops and get something I really did mean to or over bought then I sell or auction something to get back in line

But it is an addiction and it takes alot of control

And I love it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I have seen this same video done many times recently. All these people that bought into Geoff Wilson's "Sportscard Investor" crap and the like during an obvious temporary spike.

The amount of credit card debt these folks took on and the needed price corrections will cause a flood of these junk slabs to hit the market. Fads come and go, most of these newbies will be stuck with a bankruptcy and boxes of crap as deep as the 88-to mid 90's crap wax people were buried under till they were able to pass it on to new suckers in the past 3 years.

At least the bankruptcy lawyers will make a ton over the next 4 years.

This is a good example of what is really going on behind the gambling scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcVIsp43Rc

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-03-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I have seen this same video done many times recently. All these people that bought into Geoff Wilson's "Sportscard Investor" crap and the like during an obvious temporary spike.

The amount of credit card debt these folks took on and the needed price corrections will cause a flood of these junk slabs to hit the market. Fads come and go, most of these newbies will be stuck with a bankruptcy and boxes of crap as deep as the 88-to mid 90's crap wax people were buried under till they were able to pass it on to new suckers in the past 3 years.

At least the bankruptcy lawyers will make a ton over the next 4 years.

This is a good example of what is really going on behind the gambling scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcVIsp43Rc
That is a great video.

I did a lot of case/box buying from the late 80s till around 2002/3. From the beginning of eBay until around 2001 I don't think I lost money on a box. Then it almost instantly went to you rarely broke even and you better have the new product first to get the best prices to break even.

Now once in a while I will buy a box of junk wax to open and throw away.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
For many of this is almost the norm.

Bordering on an addiction and also and enjoyment.

But it is an addiction and it takes alot of control
Yes, I think this is true for all of us. I think we could also say many of us border on hoarding additions.

I collected as a kid. Every Christmas, birthday, and anytime I received some fun money I would buy cards, magazines, Starting Lineup, etc. When I graduated college and came home, I suddenly had the realization: "What am I going to do with 50k penny cards from 1987 - 2004?" I did what was easiest - I donated them to the YMCA to give away to players. With every move I've gotten rid of more and more.

After that I realized to buy smarter.

I am real lucky I learned lessons about collecting before I became independent and had a family. People who started collecting since 2020, who started as adults and possibly had families, they are going to learn some hard lessons.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-03-2023, 02:09 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Smartest thing I changed to was just buying a handful of packs each year to put away in single pack lucite storage boxes for my grandchildren someday and a fun pack opening session in about 2030ish, lol.

I don't buy boxes because it seems completely illogical. I only want a couple cards from each set. Usually the RCs for all the Detroit teams and a couple prospects I like. I can usually get every card I want for well under the price of a single hobby box. Much, much better for my liking.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.