NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-03-2023, 02:10 PM
Dylan

Default 1989 Score Paul Gibson Variations

I have long been under the impression that there were 3 different versions of Paul Gibson's crotch grab card from 1989 Score. I may be wrong but I recall Beckett annual guides showing P1 P2 and P3 notations.

#1 The original, unedited card with Salazar or Trammell adjusting their cup in background.

#2 The well-known correction, a large white squarish shape over his arm with a small pink remnant at the crotch (commonly found in factory sets).

#3 The lesser-known and much tougher version with a "cleaner" square shape over the arm and yellow ink within the covered up area. Small blueish color at crotch remains.

#4 A "new" version with the same "cleaner" square shape over the arm without any yellow ink within the covered up area. Small blueish color at crotch remains.

I'm wondering if this is the grand total.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 02-07-2023, 01:53 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Loved this card! I remember looking through several 5000ct boxes of 89 Score looking for the Corrected version!

How about this close up? Yellow, Blue, Pink? I'm guessing this is version #2 on your list. Makes sense that corrected cards from Factory sets were harder to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg close_up_white_box.jpg (99.8 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by jp1216; 02-07-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Loved this card! I remember looking through several 5000ct boxes of 89 Score looking for the Corrected version!

How about this close up? Yellow, Blue, Pink? I'm guessing this is version #2 on your list. Makes sense that corrected cards from Factory sets were harder to find.
Correct. This is the more common corrected version and the one that I have pulled out of factory sets many, many times over. I have no clue as to the sources for the other two correction types.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:13 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Al Richter

I do not collect Score but did pick up one version of the Gibson variants for fun. Had not realized there were several. Like the 89 Fleer Ripken and Johnson ( I do collect Fleer) I have managed to avoid the impulse to hunt down every possible version out there, but am impressed by those that do so and enjoy seeing them posted in here
Old 02-09-2023, 09:59 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I do not collect Score but did pick up one version of the Gibson variants for fun. Had not realized there were several. Like the 89 Fleer Ripken and Johnson ( I do collect Fleer) I have managed to avoid the impulse to hunt down every possible version out there, but am impressed by those that do so and enjoy seeing them posted in here
I like some of Score's variations because they often come in multiple correction attempts: 1989 Score Clemens, 1990 Score Cuyler, for example.

I'm also still holding out hope that there exists a copy (or prototype/proof) of Earl Cunningham's 1990 Card without the bat knob coverup. Would love to know what was on it.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:02 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
i'm also still holding out hope that there exists a copy (or prototype/proof) of earl cunningham's 1990 card without the bat knob coverup. Would love to know what was on it.
+1
Starts with an F? :d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earl.jpg (138.2 KB, 68 views)