NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2022, 11:00 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Gizmo’s story is so absurd that it can’t be true (it’s possible there was a theft but not like this). I hope, guilty of some sort of theft or innocent, this man knows his name is getting very publicly trashed. This whole situation just screams to hear from the other side.
Well....the cops asked him to come to NJ to give a statement. He refused. I am sorry, that just reeks of scum-baggery. Gizmo may be an ass but so far, his side is the one that is believable. This buyer stole from him.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:00 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Theft

I could only make it through about 10 minutes of the interview...ugh. It reminds me of my children when they have waaaaaay too many unnecessary specifics of a story they made up. Not saying some of it isn't true, but simple is better in situations like this I would think.

The most damning thing I heard is he said he would see him in the morning via text. He never showed up. That's strong for RGs story if he has that.
311-407 PSA 6

Last edited by 111gecko; 08-31-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:17 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Well....the cops asked him to come to NJ to give a statement. He refused. I am sorry, that just reeks of scum-baggery. Gizmo may be an ass but so far, his side is the one that is believable. This buyer stole from him.
OR a guy who doesn't have time to travel half-way across the country on his own dime for what he sees as no reason. It's too easy for people to spin their own narratives when there are many more possibilities than the one they think of.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-31-2022, 11:27 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Why would he travel back to New Jersey on his dime to give a formal statement he doesn’t have to give? Would you? Guilty until proven innocent is not reasonable.

Gizmo the clown’s story sounds believable to you? I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:28 AM
Chase

Quote:
The story was truly unbelievable. With the accused allegedly even refusing to answer to NJ police it suggests that there was a theft.

It is easy to tell that Gizmo over valued the theft and went conveniently with the high book value. Pics I saw of his cards did not show them to be in high grade and the prices I saw on them were beyond absurd.

He came off as an atrocious salesperson in that video. Some melodrama too. Told a horrible version of the story to boot, leaving out details and telling things out of order. Not a good look.

At least 2 times he mentioned that the guy had offered him 26K or something and he played the "I paid way more than that for those 29 cards". Bet at 26K he triples up. He strikes me as the guy who would take advantage of an unsuspecting family who inherited a collection and then boast about it to his pals. I do not know him so I should not judge but that is my impression.

If you are taking cards "worth" that much to shows and you are seasoned veteran seller, why no insurance?

He did not explain why he took the guy's bag to hold onto. Nor what he understood was in the bag at the time he took it.

I suspect there was a theft. Do not condone taking something which is not yours however if Gizmo did business with him 7 times prior, if the guy made off with 26K worth of cards I would say Gizmo still owes the dude at least 26K more for jacking him in the 7 previous meetings where the guy was paying PSA 8 prices for VG-EX material.

Still maintain he makes a bad witness but a great one for entertainment value. Still flying out if there is a trial. Would not miss it for anything.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:32 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I have no opinion on if there was or was not a theft as we have only an accusation and no evidence. But Gizmo’s story makes no sense whatsoever. He may have been robbed, but his story cannot be the whole truth.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:34 AM

Could it be a work (like pre-determined in wrestling) between these two guys ?
Old 08-31-2022, 11:46 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Could it be a work (like pre-determined in wrestling) between these two guys ?
Whatt???? Wrestling is fake??

Oh well, I still have roller derby!

Mike
Old 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Personally, I have a hard time believing that anyone would go to the trouble of filing a false police report against a specific person unless there was something to it. Never mind that a false report is a crime and subjects you to slam dunk liability for defamation, it is also work. If the dealer was trying to pull an insurance scam, better to claim an unexplained disappearance at the show than to hit a specific person who can fight it. Doesn't mean the cards are worth what the dealer claims, but it does sound like more to me than an outright scam. Let's see where the case goes. If the defendant chooses to appear and/or is extradited and then appears, we will hear the other side.

I wouldn't surprise me if this ends with some items being returned and it being dropped. I've had a few of those in my practice. The DA has better things to do than pursue a case where the items are returned.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-31-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:53 PM
Chase

Quote:
I have no opinion on if there was or was not a theft as we have only an accusation and no evidence. But Gizmo’s story makes no sense whatsoever. He may have been robbed, but his story cannot be the whole truth.
There is some vague reference to texts being exchanged but Gizmo did not elaborate, for whatever reason. He did allude to the fact that he texted the alleged thief telling him he wants his cards back or the money and claims he was told that the guy would be returning Sun AM. Those texts might be the best evidence he has at proving he is owed something.

Did not think the "51 Bowman Mantle Ice Cream Line" theft tale could ever be topped but Gizmo's story almost makes 25% of the 51 Mantle story sound legit. And the 25% I am speaking to is that ice cream does exist. There was ice cream at the National that year. Mantle does have a 51 Bowman card, that is both his rookie card and a card that was not double printed. And that people attended the National. The rest is highly suspect.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:25 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Obviously you and I go to different night clubs.
guess if using 1s at THOSE clubs now and used 1s 20 years ago...no inflation
Old 08-31-2022, 07:13 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
He came off as an atrocious salesperson in that video. Some melodrama too. Told a horrible version of the story to boot, leaving out details and telling things out of order. Not a good look.
Great observation ☝️.
At the 7min mark he stated, "I'm no brain surgeon." Glad he clarified for everyone, I was thinking maybe...
Old 08-31-2022, 07:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
There is some vague reference to texts being exchanged but Gizmo did not elaborate, for whatever reason. He did allude to the fact that he texted the alleged thief telling him he wants his cards back or the money and claims he was told that the guy would be returning Sun AM. Those texts might be the best evidence he has at proving he is owed something.

Did not think the "51 Bowman Mantle Ice Cream Line" theft tale could ever be topped but Gizmo's story almost makes 25% of the 51 Mantle story sound legit. And the 25% I am speaking to is that ice cream does exist. There was ice cream at the National that year. Mantle does have a 51 Bowman card, that is both his rookie card and a card that was not double printed. And that people attended the National. The rest is highly suspect.
He should simply produce the evidence, since he clearly seems eager to get as much publicity out of this as possible and wants to try it in the court of hobby opinion. SCD articles that are really just parroting his claim and take under the guise of an objective report, podcast appearances, just put out the evidence, which he claims to have, if there's an actual crime.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:54 PM
Chase

Quote:
He should simply produce the evidence, since he clearly seems eager to get as much publicity out of this as possible and wants to try it in the court of hobby opinion. SCD articles that are really just parroting his claim and take under the guise of an objective report, podcast appearances, just put out the evidence, which he claims to have, if there's an actual crime.
Gizmo is on a publicity tour right now. He sold both of us showing up to the trial. Still lots of holes and that video did not help his cause, imo, and certainly did not make it any more clear what actually happened. We still only have one person's side of the story. Only thing that gives me reason to pause is that he specifically accused someone of stealing from him and gave us his name. That guy has not made any effort to clear his name, that we know of.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Gizmo is on a publicity tour right now. He sold both of us showing up to the trial. Still lots of holes and that video did not help his cause, imo, and certainly did not make it any more clear what actually happened. We still only have one person's side of the story. Only thing that gives me reason to pause is that he specifically accused someone of stealing from him and gave us his name. That guy has not made any effort to clear his name, that we know of.
Heck, I'll attend the defamation case if Porter sues him for slander too. The comedic potential here is so high.

There may well have been some sort of robbery; he's really doubling down hard and could face consequences if falsely and undeniably falsely claiming this man stole from him. I ain't no lawyer or a smart feller, but I'm pretty sure my lawyer would advise me to keep my mouth shut publicly at this point still. I hope he comes out at some point and gives his version. An accusation, presented with no evidence, and with no account from the other side, is not much to go on.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:28 PM
Chase

Quote:
Heck, I'll attend the defamation case if Porter sues him for slander too. The comedic potential here is so high.
Oh my! That would have to be live streamed. We might want secure rights now.

Quote:
There may well have been some sort of robbery; he's really doubling down hard and could face consequences if falsely and undeniably falsely claiming this man stole from him. I ain't no lawyer or a smart feller, but I'm pretty sure my lawyer would advise me to keep my mouth shut publicly at this point still. I hope he comes out at some point and gives his version. An accusation, presented with no evidence, and with no account from the other side, is not much to go on.
Yeah at this point Gizmo is all in.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:37 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
The revenue generated from such a live stream might eclipse the supposed value of the allegedly stolen cards.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-31-2022, 08:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Yeah at this point Gizmo is all in.
I may get arrested, charged and tried for smuggling in a camera and streaming the proceedings. It would probably be worth it. Charging $10 a stream I'll have a nice profit after my legal bills.

Because someone always takes it literally: This is a joke and I do not advocate breaking courtroom rules or contempt of court.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:51 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I may get arrested, charged and tried for smuggling in a camera and streaming the proceedings...[/I]
Try those spy glasses with a camera and mic built into the frame.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-31-2022, 09:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Try those spy glasses with a camera and mic built into the frame.
Brilliant! You've just earned an executive producer credit on the movie version.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:11 AM
Drew W@i$e

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but guess who is set up at the National again this year:

https://nsccshow.com/assets/admin/pd...ers3-27-23.pdf

Question... do dealers ever get banned from the show? Or is it once you are in, you are always in?