NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default Nowadays We Have Price Guides For Everything

Posted By: peter chao

Here's an idea for a new price guide if some of the unemployed Beckett's or SCD people want to try it. If you have been in the hobby for 10 years or more, your mind works as a historical price guide. By this I mean, when you see a Babe Ruth card you instantly think of steady appreciation, low risk.

In other words, we remember trading cards, buying and selling cards. By doing this we have a pretty good idea that #53 1933 Goudey Ruth is about as safe a purchase as you can make.

But how about all the newbies to the hobby who don't have a reserve of all this past pricing information, where's a price guide that is going to help them. That's where an energetic entrepreneur can make some money. Develope a historical price guide.

You can pretty much arbitrarily pick a starting date for various cards and sets and draw a curve for historical and present prices. If you really want to play soothsayer you can make a projection as to the future price of a card.

And if your right then Warren Buffett step over, there's a new kid in town.

Edited to read you're right because Barry pressured me into it.

Peter

Old 06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

"You're right"

Peter, if we can just get you to remember that one little rule, I'll never bug you again. Promise!

Thank you Peter

Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Peter
Maybe I just don't understand today. What would be the reason for wanting a price guide with information on what a T204 Ramly Donovan was worth 10, 7, or 4 years ago?
Seems like your trying to treat the cards like a stock for solely investment purposes? If your wanting safe, wouldn't a savings bond or something be a little more feasible?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Anyone who buys and resells on eBay (for example), knows that there is wide variation in how the same thing sells two weeks apart. For this reason alone, I doubt price guides that quote a single price for anything.

Auctions involve so much chicanery (shilling, book bidding, idiot bidders bidding against each other, sale fell through as buyer didn't pay, item misdescribed, time of day, etc), I don't consider auction prices to be entirely reliable indicator of financial value. In many of these high price auctions, you don't know if the buyer paid and there was even a sale.

The hobby likes to focus on record setting prices, but these are far more often than not unreliable prices for the average collector or seller. By definition and nature, a record is abnormal, even freakish-- and its difficult determining the normal by focusing on the abnormal. To determine the normal, you usually start by throwing out the freakish (high and/or low), or you look at the abnornal and say "That ain't it."

Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Dave F.,

I agree that we don't buy cards just for investment. However, when some people are willing to spend $10,000 and more for card, I suggest that the person is hoping the card is going up in value.

Peter

Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Peter
I think that "most" people that spend $10,000 on a single card...do so because they have lot of disposable income. If they need that card to go up in value...then they certainly shouldn't be buying it IMHO.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Dave F.,

I totally agree with you. Let me put it this way, it's impossible for every $10,000 card to continously go up in value. If that were the case, why bother with the stock market or the real estate market, just put all your money into cards.

Peter

Old 06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

I think I need a translator/interpreter.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

There you go again, with your Stock Market Mindset.

WERE YOU EVER A COLLECTOR of anything???

Joe

Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I collect empty apple sauce jars because I like apple sauce.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Since you consider yourself a real collector. What do you do when a must have card becomes too expensive.

Peter

Old 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

"Since you consider yourself a real collector. What do you do when a must have card becomes too expensive."

Peter
-------------------------

Hello Peter,
That's simple, and my answer will be foreign to your mind.

My approach, and your Wall Street Journal approach, are two totally different worlds in my hobby.

As to the elusive card, made so by the investor part of my hobby, ..... I just wait for the stock market roller coaster ride to bring the card to a level that I'm comfortable in.
I either get it, or don't get it, in any case, the collector challenge is still there.
The collector challenge is different than that of building a stock market portfolio. ... it's a different kind of fun, and that's foreign to you.

Peter, I've been at this long before plastic world, and the investors came on the scene.

I'm happy to say that I still get the same enjoyment every time that I find a card that fills an empty slot in my binder.

WITH NEVER EVER THE THOUGHT OF WHAT WILL THE CARD FETCH ME LATER.

I doubt if you comprehend what I just said, it's not in your investor mind set.

Have you ever enjoyed the cards, and not for the $$$$ they represent?

Joe