NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-06-2022, 09:24 AM
Patrick N.

Default Gray Backs vs. White Backs (& Pop Reports)

From my many years in the hobby, and I'm thinking of '56 in particular, the gray vs. white back difference didn't mean much, perhaps a very slight 10% or so premium for the rarer of the back.

That said, with the new(er) obsession with pop reports/ scarcity, do you think this dynamic has/will change? If so, which card yrs might be impacted?

For example, the 1956 Topps Mantle White Back is almost 10 times more scarce than the gray. Maybe it's just me, but at the time I bought mine the back color was basically an after thought. Again, I'm most familar with '56 but I know there are other years relevant to this issue.

What do you think?
Old 08-06-2022, 12:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Series 2 56’s have already taken off, a few years ago. Try and find a reasonable price on a white stock Trucks, for example. White stock 2’s are tougher than gray stock 1’s, but there’s plenty of them all out there.

The narratives about them are mostly false; we know the sheet compositions, the cards with less sheet positions are proportionally tougher, but they are all in line with the print groups. There aren’t these special SP’s and many levels of toughness in the white backs as many buyers seem to think.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:11 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Series 2 56’s have already taken off, a few years ago. Try and find a reasonable price on a white stock Trucks, for example. White stock 2’s are tougher than gray stock 1’s, but there’s plenty of them all out there.

The narratives about them are mostly false; we know the sheet compositions, the cards with less sheet positions are proportionally tougher, but they are all in line with the print groups. There aren’t these special SP’s and many levels of toughness in the white backs as many buyers seem to think.

^^^ This...Trucks is on my Master Tigers Topps wantlist...grabbed a nice one at the National last year for $5....havent seen a decent one...let alone any shape one go for uner $100+++ in a few years.

Yet...1968 has clear white and beige? backs...but this is never spoken of??
Old 08-07-2022, 11:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
^^^ This...Trucks is on my Master Tigers Topps wantlist...grabbed a nice one at the National last year for $5....havent seen a decent one...let alone any shape one go for uner $100+++ in a few years.

Yet...1968 has clear white and beige? backs...but this is never spoken of??
66, 68, 69, 70, and others all have different stocks used for some of their series’. People don’t seem to care at all if it’s cream vs. white stock. I collect them, it’s fun to put some of the tougher back sets together when they cost the same as the easier back.

My 56 White Back want list is the usual suspects, a Trucks just isn’t worth the price to me, and isn’t that rare.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:03 AM
Dave Foster

My 56 White Back want list is the usual suspects, a Trucks just isn’t worth the price to me, and isn’t that rare.

- Try finding a decent one. You might change your tune. I've got a PSA 4 I've been trying to upgrade for several years. No luck. Same as Yost, Roselli, Jacobs, Thomas and Courtney. All PSA 4. No luck finding an upgrade w/o taking out a second on the house. They doubtless are out there, in limited quantities, but not cheap.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:56 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post

- Try finding a decent one. You might change your tune. I've got a PSA 4 I've been trying to upgrade for several years. No luck. Same as Yost, Roselli, Jacobs, Thomas and Courtney. All PSA 4. No luck finding an upgrade w/o taking out a second on the house. They doubtless are out there, in limited quantities, but not cheap.
There are 6 Trucks white backs on eBay right now. It is not a rare card; my tune was factually correct. I don’t follow the registry competition.