NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2022, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default new low for the ebay authenticity thing

So a guy has a BIN of 500 on a card, which was way too high. I make an offer in the 300s and he accepts. But because of his original price, a 300+ card now needs to go to the authenticator before it can come to me. Meanwhile it appears to me the program is definitely slowing down a bit, taking a day or maybe two more than originally.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:43 PM
Ben North

How dare those A-Holes do something to try to stop scammers if it takes a couple extra days.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
How dare those A-Holes do something to try to stop scammers if it takes a couple extra days.
It's useless for graded cards. The above card is graded.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's useless for graded cards.
Don't they send them to PSA? The place that never makes a mistake and everyone working there is WAY smarter than us?
Old 07-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Don't they send them to PSA? The place that never makes a mistake and everyone working there is WAY smarter than us?
I would like to know how many tampered slabs they have identified to date. My guess is zero.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:13 PM
Bry@n

+1 -- some reporting on how much fraud they have prevented would be terrific.

Quote:
I would like to know how many tampered slabs they have identified to date. My guess is zero.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
+1 -- some reporting on how much fraud they have prevented would be terrific.
I have no idea on number but I know several resealed slabs listed on eBay have been called out on here including a T206 green Cobb. Even if they catch a few it is worth it because it also helps stop the listings in the first place if the scammers know the cards need to be inspected by an "expert".

Not cards but they have caught fake sneakers for me.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:51 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
So a guy has a BIN of 500 on a card, which was way too high. I make an offer in the 300s and he accepts. But because of his original price, a 300+ card now needs to go to the authenticator before it can come to me. Meanwhile it appears to me the program is definitely slowing down a bit, taking a day or maybe two more than originally.
My card took 10 days to get to me. This was about 2 weeks ago. This card was raw & deemed authentic.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 07-11-2022 at 04:55 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I just got one back from PSA today.

Here's a quandary: how to scan it without destroying the baggie? The labels obscure a good portion of the back of the card. If I wanted to leave it in the sealed baggie (spoiler alert: I don't), I couldn't see part of the card, ever. So I guess if I want to rely on their service, I will never get to see the full card?

Also, the baggies are as baggy as board shorts, so for display they don't even look good.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-11-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I just got one back from PSA today.

Here's a quandary: how to scan it without destroying the baggie? The labels obscure a good portion of the back of the card. If I wanted to leave it in the sealed baggie (spoiler alert: I don't), I couldn't see part of the card, ever. So I guess if I want to rely on their service, I will never get to see the full card?

Also, the baggies are as baggy as board shorts, so for display they don't even look good.
I still want to know, if you now sell it in its authenticated kit, do you then have to ship it back to them again?

Old 07-11-2022, 07:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
My card took 10 days to get to me. This was about 2 weeks ago. This card was raw & deemed authentic.
I can see the value of the raw review, if done right by qualified people.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:55 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
It's useless for graded cards. The above card is graded.
I bought a PSA graded card on eBay for over $500 a few weeks ago and the card I bought didn’t go through eBay’s authentication process. It was mailed directly to me within a few days I had received it. I was under the impression anything graded over $500 would have to go through this new process.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:23 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
I bought a PSA graded card on eBay for over $500 a few weeks ago and the card I bought didn’t go through eBay’s authentication process. It was mailed directly to me within a few days I had received it. I was under the impression anything graded over $500 would have to go through this new process.
I had this happen to me as well apparently there are some ““ buzz words that if put in the listing disqualify the service from being used such as set break which makes no sense to me?
Old 07-11-2022, 11:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

eBay has been going downhill for awhile, but it's turning into a dumpster fire lately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6mi5hq.jpg (63.3 KB, 1234 views)
Old 07-12-2022, 12:29 AM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I had this happen to me as well apparently there are some ““ buzz words that if put in the listing disqualify the service from being used such as set break which makes no sense to me?
Going back to the eBay listing, I do see the term “set break” listed in the title. Yeah, makes no sense to me as well.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:02 AM
Br1an N0Iff

I was told by an eBay customer service representative that if the card is going to a PO Box, it will not go through the the authenticity guarantee process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Old 07-12-2022, 03:34 AM
octavio ranzola

Wait till they start grading the basketball star cards omg .

Last edited by rjackson44; 07-12-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:54 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
eBay has been going downhill for awhile, but it's turning into a dumpster fire lately.
Great. Very funny.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:56 AM
Rob

The guy or gal in Louisiana that opens a drawer and loads up a card never happens anymore. It's no longer a Joe and Jane yard sale. It's serious business.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

some folks send cards to PSA, pay through the nose, and eagerly wait 22 months to get them back.

some folks complain about a few days delay, which doesn’t cost them, to have PSA eyeball a card they just bought.

hobby has all types I guess.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:52 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
some folks send cards to PSA, pay through the nose, and eagerly wait 22 months to get them back.

some folks complain about a few days delay, which doesn’t cost them, to have PSA eyeball a card they just bought.

22 months lol never understood that
Old 07-12-2022, 07:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Even if PSA hasn't stopped a single fraudulent slab with the eBay program, the fact that they are at least taking a quick look at these might give fraudsters pause and move them to another business plan.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-12-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Even if PSA hasn't stopped a single fraudulent slab with the eBay program, the fact that they are at least taking a quick look at these might give fraudsters pause and move them to another business plan.
+1 and the reason I am a huge fan of their Authenticity programs.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:14 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Great. Very funny.
That is funny. The first complaint is "there's a bunch of fake cards on ebay and they won't do anything about it!!!"

Then later it's "eBay is checking all the cards for fakes whether I want them to or not!!!"

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2022, 04:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

They're not eyeballing the CARD just the slab. That's been explained repeatedly. I don't need them to eyeball the slab of a card that was slabbed, by them, a month ago.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
They're not eyeballing the CARD just the slab. That's been explained repeatedly. I don't need them to eyeball the slab of a card that was slabbed, by them, a month ago.
There haven't been people posting on this board about fake slabs? From Mexico or something. I seem to recall people even posting eBay listings with fake slabs.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:10 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...bay+fake+slabs
Old 07-12-2022, 04:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There haven't been people posting on this board about fake slabs? From Mexico or something. I seem to recall people even posting eBay listings with fake slabs.
As I posted, in a situation I was involved in, PSA reslabbed a card that was almost certainly a Mexican fake. Anyhow, sure, have Jordan rookies and Goudey Ruths and Gehrigs go in for a review. Not every single freaking card worth 500 or more.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2022 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

By the way is PSA qualified to review an SGC slab? Because they are now. Beckett too I imagine.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

System is far from perfect, but it’s an attempt to deal with a real problem. I applaud them for trying something. Can’t imagine any fraud detection effort is a bad thing.

The last three cards I bought on eBay that went through this process probably arrived in my mailbox before or right around the same time I would have received them from the lion’s share of AHs I buy from.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-12-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As a buyer of graded cards, there is no utility whatsoever for me in their service. I have had three pass through with an average delay of 5 biz days. The authentication kit is a marketing disaster and a joke. I want my card, not some piece of junk hiding it. Humbug.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
As a buyer of graded cards, there is no utility whatsoever for me in their service. I have had three pass through with an average delay of 5 biz days. The authentication kit is a marketing disaster and a joke. I want my card, not some piece of junk hiding it. Humbug.
I bought a card from a seller whose cards I always receive on the 3rd day from purchase. That was two weeks ago. Yeah, real value added here.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:47 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Hopefully they update this to protect raw buyers to the same degree as buyers of already graded cards.

After eBay sends the card to CSG to take a look, CSG should ship it to PSA who will then authenticate that CSG did, in fact, authenticate the actual card. Then PSA can ship it to the buyer.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:00 PM
Chase

Quote:
Hopefully they update this to protect raw buyers to the same degree as buyers of already graded cards.

After eBay sends the card to CSG to take a look, CSG should ship it to PSA who will then authenticate that CSG did, in fact, authenticate the actual card. Then PSA can ship it to the buyer.
Just what the buying experience needs are more hands and time in shipping. Will take a pass. If ya want something graded then buy it already graded.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Just what the buying experience needs are more hands and time in shipping. Will take a pass. If ya want something graded then buy it already graded.
Whoosh
Old 07-12-2022, 07:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I'd feel damn good about the card with two nifty blue folders (or whatever you call those stupid things) and two QR codes.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Bill Avery

Quote:

I was thinking that maybe they should start out with CSG then send to PSA then to SGC and finally to Beckett to maximize shipping time from seller to customer. Why not get everyone's opinion.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
I was thinking that maybe they should start out with CSG then send to PSA then to SGC and finally to Beckett to maximize shipping time from seller to customer. Why not get everyone's opinion.
Brilliant! With a QR code and folder from each, I will finally sleep easy that my card is real.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:15 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
And then on to MBA for a Gold Diamond Sticker too!

If I am buying raw on eBay I do not need CSG's opinion on the card. I woul dnot be bidding if I was worried the card was altered, counterfeit or graded wrong. Thanks but no thanks. Same with buying a graded card...I do not need PSA telling me the slab is ok and certainly do not need them telling me a CSG, BVG or SGC slab is good. That is laughable.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:36 PM
D@n.M@tsing3r

Not only is it about tampered slab but also getting a box of rocks. I think people forgot quickly how long things took to get 2 years ago, an extra week or so is nothing and tbh, if I'm buying a big card I prefer not to have to worry about the slab being tampered, the raw card being fake or altered or receiving a pile of 91 Fleer instead of a my slabbed Goudey.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

interesting how many responses are basically “I can tell a real slab from a fake slab …. this process is stupid.”. Not that it’s good or bad for cleaning up fraud in hobby as a whole, but let me tell you how this is inconvenient to me personally ….

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-12-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
interesting how many responses are basically “I can tell a real slab from a fake slab …. this process is stupid.”.
Which post #'s have postulated this argument?

Quote:
Not that it’s good or bad for cleaning up fraud in hobby as a whole, but let me tell you how this is inconvenient to me personally ….
People tend to not like things they think are inconvenient. I've yet to meet a fellow who welcomes inconvenience.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:47 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
interesting how many responses are basically “I can tell a real slab from a fake slab …. this process is stupid.”. Not that it’s good or bad for cleaning up fraud in hobby as a whole, but let me tell you how this is inconvenient to me personally ….
Agree
Old 07-12-2022, 10:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I wish I had a good fake slab. I’d bet that if it went to PSA for review, it would pass. At least in the context of this program. But do let us know when you hear of a single card that gets rejected.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:15 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
I wish I had a good fake slab. I’d bet that if it went to PSA for review, it would pass. At least in the context of this program. But do let us know when you hear of a single card that gets rejected.
Well hopefully we can all find out right here on Net54.

Most of the slabbed cards are PSA's right? Maybe 75% of them or more? It would seem PSA should know a lot about their own faked or resealed slabs. And they should be able to build up expertise on the others, assuming they take their job seriously. I don't know why they wouldn't. Ebay might only be paying $5 a slab to do the review so you can't spend a whole lot of time there I guess, but once you have seen enough of them a bad one should stand out.

And I also assume that just by setting up the review process, ebay has caused many of the fake slab sellers to have gone away, so there may not be a lot of bad slabs to find anymore.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:06 AM
Chase

Quote:
If you feel you need the service then you should use it but I think we should have a choice. Apparently you feel it should be thrust onto everyone. Maybe some of us feel we can fend for ourselves and do not need eBay looking out for us in this manner. As a buyer I have never had an issue with a seller on eBay where I would need the authenticity guarantee.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:31 AM

Quote:
If you feel you need the service then you should use it but I think we should have a choice. Apparently you feel it should be thrust onto everyone. Maybe some of us feel we can fend for ourselves and do not need eBay looking out for us in this manner. As a buyer I have never had an issue with a seller on eBay where I would need the authenticity guarantee.
Thank you.

Unfortunately, with this hobby and many other facets of life, personal responsibility went out the window a long time ago.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Opting out …. the new American mantra. Every system put in place should have my seal of approval on in. Fuck getting a drivers license, if I want to drive without a license or insurance it should be my right. Same with airport security and everything else. Only sheepies let other people tell them what they have to do.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Opting out …. the new American mantra. Every system put in place should have my seal of approval on in. Fuck getting a drivers license, if I want to drive without a license or insurance it should be my right. Same with airport security and everything else. Only sheepies let other people tell them what they have to do.
Wut.

A better analogy would be declining the extended warranty when you buy a refrigerator. Do you object to that too?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-13-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:48 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Unfortunately if someone is an idiot and gets scammed by an ebay seller it reflects poorly on the whole platform. Most people are looking for a site where they don't have to navigate through that nonsense. Good for you that you embrace it but you might have to find somewhere else to fulfill your adventurous side.

Last edited by Gorditadogg; 07-13-2022 at 09:18 AM.