NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2021, 09:34 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default SGC - New in 2022

SCG grading company came out with a short video saying turnarounds times are 22 days and they are excited about new things in 2022. Any insight what they will be?

Maybe a registry
Old 12-27-2021, 10:38 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
SCG grading company came out with a short video saying turnarounds times are 22 days and they are excited about new things in 2022. Any insight what they will be?

Maybe a registry
Maybe they will start to grade vintage accurately? They are just hammering.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:52 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I guess details to follow and the great things to come.

Kind of like a teaser.

Hopefully the basics would be nice

1. Accurate grading
2. Faster turnaround time
3. New lower tier pricing for grading
4. Improved communication
5. Easier access to customer service

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-27-2021, 11:29 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I'd prefer if they just provided their customers with a registry. seriously, how hard is it to hire some developers and create one?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 12-27-2021, 12:23 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I bet they form a partnership with someone. Maybe a marketplace so that you can have your cards graded and directly sent to the marketplace to be sold (and maybe the marketplace helps reduce the price or something??). Makes a ton of sense for SGC. If you are a long-term collector you probably don't care, but this will help SGC's position with the flippers, who are an increasingly large % of the hobby.

The registry just makes too much sense. That, and better pop reports so we can easily see how many of a specific card are graded (gosh, it is so annoying seeing total pop report across the big 3 graders - takes way too much time).

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 12-27-2021, 12:34 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Any hope of a legit registry, pop report, website and slab with a barcode ?

Let’s Hope 2022 Brings SGC to the National to Grade On Site…..they didn’t do onsite this year. Was shocked they would leave that much money on the table.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:29 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
I'd prefer if they just provided their customers with a registry. seriously, how hard is it to hire some developers and create one?
Totally agree. This would be good for their business, having a full featured registry would likely move a few folks off of PSAs dinosaur registry.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:08 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Any hope of a legit registry, pop report, website and slab with a barcode ?

Let’s Hope 2022 Brings SGC to the National to Grade On Site…..they didn’t do onsite this year. Was shocked they would leave that much money on the table.
According to them, they had a huge amount of orders in house and they felt obligated to take care of as many of them as they could. I think it was really that they weighed the cost of doing the show with what they could bring in at the show and decided that the extra profit was not worth it and to just deal with their backlog. And then take an opportunity to make it look like they were not being greedy like PSA has proven to be.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:01 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
According to them, they had a huge amount of orders in house and they felt obligated to take care of as many of them as they could. I think it was really that they weighed the cost of doing the show with what they could bring in at the show and decided that the extra profit was not worth it and to just deal with their backlog. And then take an opportunity to make it look like they were not being greedy like PSA has proven to be.
Just my two cents. If you’re content with your business you do that. If you’re trying to improve and gain market share from PSA while their affectively shut down at lower tier levels you go and you grade onsite. Especially when there wasn’t even a National in 2021 due to Covid. I want to see SGC step outside of their comfort zone and gain some market share.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-27-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:07 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Any hope of a .... slab with a barcode ?
I say bring back this look (not my card)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206-Sherry-Magie-error-SGC-60-646x1024.jpg (7.7 KB, 1679 views)
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-27-2021, 03:23 PM

Peter S. has repeatedly said that the Registry is not of importance to them.....
Old 12-27-2021, 04:18 PM
Chase

Quote:
Just my two cents. If you’re content with your business you do that. If you’re trying to improve and gain market share from PSA while their affectively shut down at lower tier levels you go and you grade onsite. Especially when there wasn’t even a National in 2021 due to Covid. I want to see SGC step outside of their comfort zone and gain some market share.
Sad as it is, I am not sure their gaining real market share is up to them, any longer. This whole time PSA has suspended various service levels it is apparent that SGC has picked up business but I am able to buy SGC material for a pretty significant discount to what the card would have sold for in a PSA holder.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:26 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Sad as it is, I am not sure their gaining real market share is up to them, any longer. This whole time PSA has suspended various service levels it is apparent that SGC has picked up business but I am able to buy SGC material for a pretty significant discount to what the card would have sold for in a PSA holder.
I agree.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:37 PM
Jason Wells

I do miss the old registry and chat rooms, I hope you can register their old slabs on the new registry if it ever comes about.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:37 PM
Jimmy

and I miss the old prices - both SGC and PSA!

Jimmy
Old 12-28-2021, 01:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

SGC seems to be the proverbial snack before dinnertime. You're extremely hungry to get something graded, so you send some cards out to them, but you're really just waiting for your mom to put the 'real' meal on the table - PSA getting back to affordable and expedient (ha! ha!) grading.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:07 PM

Maybe an email that isn't a copy and paste template from Brent
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:02 PM
J@E R1T0

SGC, I hope you are lurking in these forums!! You continue to have an opportunity here in the collecting community. Note many of the repeated responses:

1) A lower tiered price point is essential for true collectors. The modern card gradings will soon disappear as the modern card bubble bursts. Respect the vintage guys with a bulk submission rate.
2) You need a darn registry, giving folks more of a reason to buy your cards. If more cards are sold, better prices can be realized by sellers, causing more submissions ($$'s) to come your way.
3) Training in grading standards is a key. Be tough, be easy, I really don't care - just be CONSISTENT.
4) Lastly, many of us have been disenfranchised by PSA. We still buy cards in their holders, but love competition and options when spending hard earned money on fees.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 12-28-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:27 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Incredibly well stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
SGC, I hope you are lurking in these forums!! You continue to have an opportunity here in the collecting community. Note many of the repeated responses:

1) A lower tiered price point is essential for true collectors. The modern card gradings will soon disappear as the modern card bubble bursts. Respect the vintage guys with a bulk submission rate.
2) You need a darn registry, giving folks more of a reason to buy your cards. If more cards are sold, better prices can be realized by sellers, causing more submissions ($$'s) to come your way.
3) Training in grading standards is a key. Be tough, be easy, I really don't care - just be CONSISTENT.
4) Lastly, many of us have been disenfranchised by PSA. We still buy cards in their holders, but love competition and options when spending hard earned money on fees.
This!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:50 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
I agree.
If the price of SGC graded, vintage HOF cards ever rises to the level of PSA, there will shock and awe at CU. Their operational crisis eroded faith in many of its hardcore customer base. Blame Pokemon, ineptitude, the agony of waiting for your cards month after month (in my case it was 15 months and I had forgotten what I submitted.), management turnover, Goldin, etc. SGC has partially filled the gap, so power to them. But I fear they have sometimes have forgotten who has been their customer base for years in their push to get as many cards graded in the shortest period of time.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:11 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Maybe they will start to grade vintage accurately? They are just hammering.

+1
Old 12-29-2021, 02:31 PM
Tony Conte

The registry thing would have happened years ago. It's not in the cards.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:38 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
The registry thing would have happened years ago. It's not in the cards.
You might misunderstand Tony, they had a registry for many years, up until a couple years ago. Many of us want it to return. I had 700 cards in various SGC sets. It was maintained for a while on their old website even after they reinvented themselves. A registry is one of the keys to increasing interest in a company’s gradings - even BGS has one.

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 12-30-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:46 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Peter S. has repeatedly said that the Registry is not of importance to them.....
I think they realize that the registry train left the station a long time ago and they were not on it. PSA owns the registry and it is the most valuable asset that they have.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:59 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think they realize that the registry train left the station a long time ago and they were not on it. PSA owns the registry and it is the most valuable asset that they have.
Yeah I don't think introduction of a registry would give SGC any more of a competitive edge at this point. PSA has run away with that concept. $30 per card has not helped them either.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:41 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Jay,

Do you think as it seems that more investors/flippers are entering the market these days that it may eventually start to take a little lustre off their registry asset? I know part of that registry advantage is that collectors will pay dearly to improve their set rank and standing on the registry, but a lot of these newcomers don't seem to care about that. They buy the PSA cards because they typically bring a higher price over SGC and Beckett graded cards, but as time goes by and maybe fewer and fewer people are as concerned about the registry, can you see that pricing gap between PSA and the others maybe start to close?
Old 12-31-2021, 07:25 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Doesn’t CSG provide most of what’s being asked for here?

I’m guessing the desire for SGC to become what they once were is centered on the fact we have hundreds of cards already in their slabs.

I think it’s clear which collectors SGC is targeting and it isn’t the prewar collector.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:49 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Doesn’t CSG provide most of what’s being asked for here?

I’m guessing the desire for SGC to become what they once were is centered on the fact we have hundreds of cards already in their slabs.

I think it’s clear which collectors SGC is targeting and it isn’t the prewar collector.
Brent, nice point, you are probably right about the target audience… still think it’s shortsighted of them though. I’ll have to look at CSG more closely, they may be an option going forward. I heard they had some decent funding.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:05 PM
Chase

Quote:

Maybe a registry
New video today on their site...https://www.gosgc.com/update-20210909

Two weeks later he is now claiming turnaround times were 16 days and the turnaround time will now show 45-50 days on the site but subs will not take that long. LOL. Hope that was not one of the exciting things Peter was referring to in the Dec video!

Again take as much time as you fellas need. How about getting the grades right. The public does not need their cards back fast. They need them back graded right.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
doesn’t csg provide most of what’s being asked for here?

I’m guessing the desire for sgc to become what they once were is centered on the fact we have hundreds of cards already in their slabs.

I think it’s clear which collectors sgc is targeting and it isn’t the prewar collector.
+1000.

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Two weeks later he is now claiming turnaround times were 16 days and the turnaround time will now show 45-50 days on the site but subs will not take that long. LOL. Hope that was not one of the exciting things Peter was referring to in the Dec video!

Again take as much time as you fellas need. How about getting the grades right. The public does not need their cards back fast. They need them back graded right.
Did he mention bringing back the guarantee?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:42 PM

I wish the people at SGC knew how to respond to an email or phone call

My oh my does it seem like things have shifted.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Justin

I have a 5 card sub recieved by them on Dec 14th.
Not graded yet, so definitely not 16, even if we are talking 16 business days.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Did he mention bringing back the guarantee?
Maybe that is one of the exciting things that are happening soon? Or...maybe not.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Maybe that is one of the exciting things that are happening soon? Or...maybe not.
Maybe. I think it was in 2019 Peter told me they had just taken it down temporarily, their lawyers were reviewing the language, and it would be back up shortly.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:18 PM
Chase

Quote:
Maybe. I think it was in 2019 Peter told me they had just taken it down temporarily, their lawyers were reviewing the language, and it would be back up shortly.

adverb

only for a while or for the time being; not permanently.

Well we won't know until the end of time that it had not taken down temporarily but permanently.

Begs the question why a lawyer would have them remove their guarantee after all of these years. I mean the G in SGC does stand for guarantee, after all. Nice to see that accountability is removed at the top. Yet I read on here how collectors repeatedly expect auction houses to pick up altered cards in slabs.

What a seriously silly hobby this has become.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:27 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

My submission received 12/6/21. Shipped 1/6/22
Old 01-08-2022, 09:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

adverb

only for a while or for the time being; not permanently.

Well we won't know until the end of time that it had not taken down temporarily but permanently.

Begs the question why a lawyer would have them remove their guarantee after all of these years. I mean the G in SGC does stand for guarantee, after all. Nice to see that accountability is removed at the top. Yet I read on here how collectors repeatedly expect auction houses to pick up altered cards in slabs.

What a seriously silly hobby this has become.
While BODA was mostly focusing on PSA they were exposing some high power SGC cards as well, and obviously SGC decided they didn't want to deal with the potential claims and just hacked out the "G." It was like that great 50s doo-wop song, "Who took the G out of SGC?" Like most everything else, nobody cared, just keep the train rolling.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-08-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:03 PM
Chase

Quote:
While BODA was mostly focusing on PSA they were exposing some high power SGC cards as well, and obviously SGC decided they didn't want to deal with the potential claims and just hacked out the "G." It was like that great 50s doo-wop song, "Who took the G out of SGC?" Like most everything else, nobody cared, just keep the train rolling.
Well good for them being able to pull that off. Not shocking that collectors did not care. Just need $30 or less grading per card with fast turnarounds. Take that away and boy will the collectors be upset. Hell to pay.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:45 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I will never figure why collectors will spend STUPID money on common cards, just to put it on a set registry. Who cares?
Old 01-09-2022, 10:36 AM
Robert Klevens

[QUOTE=Lorewalker;2183550]New video today on their site...https://www.gosgc.com/update-20210909

This "new" video was posted September 8, 2021
Their website currently states that they are taking 45-50 estimated business days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sgc.jpg (70.8 KB, 844 views)

Last edited by prestigecollectibles; 01-09-2022 at 10:39 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-09-2022, 01:01 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 1 month.....

[QUOTE=prestigecollectibles;2183757]
Quote:

This "new" video was posted September 8, 2021
Their website currently states that they are taking 45-50 estimated business days.
My last few submissions even over the holiday have taken about 1 month.

Large orders, small orders. They are clearly the only game in town right now if you want your cards back before your kids graduate from sollege.

30 days!

Business days? lol

30 days period!

Mike
Old 01-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Charles Jackson

Default SGC wish list

If I could have SGC change two things in 2022 it would be:

1) List the individual grades for surface, centering, corners and edging. They don't have to necessarily list it on the card itself (maybe the back of the card would work so the front can be less "busy") but I would really like to see this information somewhere, if just on the website itself when you enter the Auth Code #.

This would help in two ways:
a) provide some clarity and accountability for them so it doesn't seem like they are just coming up with a # out of thin air; and
b) when considering to buy an SGC slabbed card you could make a more informed decision. For instance, I am way more interested in the surface of a card, than in its edges, and would be able to seek out cards with high surface grades.

2) I wish they would return the card savers you sent with the original cards. I hate having to replace Card Savers, especially the big ones, like Card Saver 4.

Other than that, I have been pretty happy with SGC other than them grading a bit harshly on occasion

Last edited by cgjackson222; 01-13-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:08 AM
Tony. Biviano

My order was received 12/12/21. Sent back 1/13/22. Pretty good.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:21 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I bet they form a partnership with someone. Maybe a marketplace so that you can have your cards graded and directly sent to the marketplace to be sold (and maybe the marketplace helps reduce the price or something??). Makes a ton of sense for SGC. If you are a long-term collector you probably don't care, but this will help SGC's position with the flippers, who are an increasingly large % of the hobby.

The registry just makes too much sense. That, and better pop reports so we can easily see how many of a specific card are graded (gosh, it is so annoying seeing total pop report across the big 3 graders - takes way too much time).
I sure hope they don't do this. It might make sense, but it's such a potential conflict of interest that would undermine their integrity.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:46 PM
Drew W@i$e

Any update from SGC? We are more than halfway through January and I haven't seen any news.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Any update from SGC? We are more than halfway through January and I haven't seen any news.
Monday
Old 01-20-2022, 07:27 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Monday
What do you know?

Greenberg collection
Old 01-20-2022, 09:42 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

They will start grading unopened materials!
Old 01-21-2022, 03:59 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
What do you know?
Historical precedence and deadpan humor, probably.

"Monday" is a running joke in SGC circles.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.