NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2013, 04:57 AM
scott altland

Default OT :Ebay /paypal claim?

Here's the situation...I sold some books to 3 individuals ..one ended 4 days before the others so I waited until all ended then sent them out media mail.Yesterday I got a notice from paypal a claim was placed by the above said buyer.I probably should have messaged him about the slight delay but....I had no previous messages etc. from him.The individual will probably get his books within the next day or 2.
That said is there a way to go back to the PO and geta receipt proving it was sent.I hope this individual does the right thing when the books are delivered and rescinds the claim.How could this affect my ebay score.Whats upsetting is all the guy would have done is email me/look at my ebay reviews to know he wasn't being scammed.Lesson learned....tracking.No more free shipping from me.
thanks for any input.
Scott Altland

Last edited by goudey1933; 07-13-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Tough

Tough situation for you. There is no way I am aware to prove a package delivers without having used delivery confirmation or some other tracking method. I got burned on a 1959 Mantle a few years ago. From that point on I learned that eBay is very buyer friendly and the seller must always protect themselves.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

yes. even if you didn't pay for delivery confirmation. the post office still scans their packages.

they may not be super willing to fork over the information but it is possible if you get the right guy...on the right day to get you a print out verifying it was delivered.

kevin
Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 AM
scott altland

Thanks for the responses.Never had aproblem before.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
yes. even if you didn't pay for delivery confirmation. the post office still scans their packages.

they may not be super willing to fork over the information but it is possible if you get the right guy...on the right day to get you a print out verifying it was delivered.

kevin
This information is not even usable by post office employees and only gets pulled when a package is lost (even then they will not release it, just pull it up). I go to the post office about 5 times a week and speak with the managers/employees fairly often.

ANY ITEM SOLD VIA PAYPAL needs to have tracking. Under $250= Delivery Conf over $250= Signature Conf. If you do not have that and the buyer files a claim you will lose EVEN IF THEY ARE LYING.

I'm sorry but even if you offer free shipping you need to track it.... This is why I very rarely sell on e-bay and consign just about everything - you don't have to handle these problems.

Scott if the buyer says they didn't receive the goods you are SoL.... That's just how paypal works. Hope they do the right thing...

Last edited by Sean1125; 07-13-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 AM
scott altland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
This information is not even usable by post office employees and only gets pulled when a package is lost (even then they will not release it, just pull it up). I go to the post office about 5 times a week and speak with the managers/employees fairly often.

ANY ITEM SOLD VIA PAYPAL needs to have tracking. Under $250= Delivery Conf over $250= Signature Conf. If you do not have that and the buyer files a claim you will lose EVEN IF THEY ARE LYING.

I'm sorry but even if you offer free shipping you need to track it.... This is why I very rarely sell on e-bay and consign just about everything - you don't have to handle these problems.

Scott if the buyer says they didn't receive the goods you are SoL.... That's just how paypal works. Hope they do the right thing...
Thats what I was afraid of.I'll check it out anyways.Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 AM
scott altland

Called PO...I'm Sol unless they do the right thing....luckily only a potential $62 lesson. Thanks for help guys.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudey1933 View Post
Here's the situation...I sold some books to 3 individuals ..one ended 4 days before the others so I waited until all ended then sent them out media mail.Yesterday I got a notice from paypal a claim was placed by the above said buyer.I probably should have messaged him about the slight delay but....I had no previous messages etc. from him.The individual will probably get his books within the next day or 2.
That said is there a way to go back to the PO and geta receipt proving it was sent.I hope this individual does the right thing when the books are delivered and rescinds the claim.How could this affect my ebay score.Whats upsetting is all the guy would have done is email me/look at my ebay reviews to know he wasn't being scammed.Lesson learned....tracking.No more free shipping from me.
thanks for any input.
Scott Altland
People are just rude. I have had situations where things took a couple of weeks to get to me and I do not pull that kind of crap. Once things are done, block the idiot. There is no place for these kind of games. Life is too short.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Have you tried reaching out to the buyer to explain that the package is on its way and should arrive to them soon? Sounds like he was a bit quick on the trigger with the claim, but the way eBay's "ask the seller a question" walkthrough is set up these days, it's very easy for a buyer to get shuffled into filing a claim. I've been getting at least 1 claim a week filed for the last 2-3 months, not because I'm negligent, but usually because somebody wants to know the tracking number on their package. It's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world, and simply having a claim OPENED against you doesn't count against your record (not resolving it and having eBay rule against you will though).

My guess is that, once the package arrives, the buyer will either drop the claim, or forget about it until eBay sends them a reminder to close it out. Chances are, if the guy is buying a book from you, he's not a scammer (just speaking from experience, most scammers I have run across do not appear to be very well-read ). I hope it all works out!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 PM
scott altland

Actually thats what peeves me the most...tried 3 times since yesterday around 4pm...no response.No matter the outcome I'm going to block him.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Ken

As an eBay buyer, I used to send a message to seller if the item did not come in a couple of weeks of payment and no tracking info was supplied by then. The last time I tried to do that, eBay wouldn't let me send the item has not arrived message without opening a case (I tried four or five times).

So it may be that the claim was intended more as a reminder than a claim like mine was
or you might have a short triggered buyer.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
scott altland

Actually he did send one email right after he opened the claim....telling me he did it and threatening to cancel the transaction he he didn't recieve the books in the next day or so.I responded to him kindly...no response.Which it was a case of that...more like a case of being an ass. Thanks guys for your input...even though this has nothing to do with cards..but myself and all of us purchase cards through the mail so its good to share unpleasent experience.
PS. the $$$ from the books go's towards cards
scott
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
scott altland

Default An update...

The buyer after 5 attempts by myself,contacted me stating he recieved the books 7/13...the day after the claim.Still he has not further sesponded to paypal attempts to communicate nor cancelled the claim freeing funds.I kindly asked him to do so through an ebay message this afternoon.My instinct says this guys playing games figuring he'll milk this for awhile.Suggestions?I figure I'll give him atleast one more day...then what would be an appropiate step?I did message paypal stating he recieved the books.
Thanks,
Scott Altland
PS. when I finally get my $$ ,at the very least I will block his bidding.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudey1933 View Post
The buyer after 5 attempts by myself,contacted me stating he recieved the books 7/13...the day after the claim.Still he has not further sesponded to paypal attempts to communicate nor cancelled the claim freeing funds.I kindly asked him to do so through an ebay message this afternoon.My instinct says this guys playing games figuring he'll milk this for awhile.Suggestions?I figure I'll give him atleast one more day...then what would be an appropiate step?I did message paypal stating he recieved the books.
Thanks,
Scott Altland
PS. when I finally get my $$ ,at the very least I will block his bidding.
My guess is he's just either too lazy or too much of a jerk to bother to cancel the claim. Or it's possible that he sees this as something he's doing to "teach you a lesson" to ship quicker or to always use tracking. You would be surprised the misguided reasons some buyers will come up with for why they should be justified in making you squirm, when the reality is they are just being a jerk.

I would caution you against "escalating" the matter to have eBay decide the issue. I was in a similar situation once when an international buyer filed a claim after a few days, well before the package could have possibly reached her, and we messaged back and forth, me trying to explain that she had to be patient when ordering things from another country, her complaining that it was for a birthday or something that was now going to be late. It was pretty much daily e-mails back and forth until about the time I would have expected the package to arrive, and she stopped responding at all. This was all in the "communication" phase of the claim process, when they had seized the money from my account, but not yet refunded it to her. More time passed, and the claim was still open. I asked her to drop it, and still no response. Finally, something like 6-8 weeks after she filed the original claim, when there was no more communication (and she still had not received the refund at this point), I escalated the claim to eBay for resolution, it being obvious to me that she had received it (or else why stop asking for a refund). Even though Ebay could not get a response out of her either, they still ruled in her favor, and gave her a full refund. Had I not escalated the claim, I would have still been out the money (indefinitely?), but at least she would not have the item AND her money back.