NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Dave Fa*st

Default Possibly previously unknown version team card - 1882 Chicago Photographic Studios?

With all the popularity of the cabinet card thread I thought some may like this. I recently picked up this 1882 Chicago Photographic Studios Cabinet card of the Chicago White Stockings team who were the NL Champions. I'm by no means a 19th century expert and have relied on some on the board who are....thanks to all those who have helped with info.

While it doesn't appear there have been many examples to begin with, the ones I've found are all a bit different than this cabinet. In mine, Silver Flint has his arms crossed across his chest, in the others his hands are in his lap. In this one, King Kelly's arm is slightly behind Fred Goldsmith's arm, in the other versions Kelly's arm is in front. There is also the obvious bats at the players feet in the other versions that is missing here, but there is more room towards the top of the photograph. While I know there are many 19th century issues that have different photographic versions, this is the first I've found in the Chicago Photographic Studios cabinets, at least to this point with any of the teams. I've talked with a few experts and the consensus was from "it's not that big of deal" to "that's amazing". But I thought it was surely interesting enough to point out if it is in fact the first known distinction in photos from this issue.

As far as the writing on the card, Billy Sunday is incorrectly labled on the front. He didn't join the Chicago team until 1883. As evident on the back however is a man's name and "Jefferson, Iowa". Sunday was from Iowa and I'd assume it was "wishful thinking" at some point by someone in labeling Sunday in the front. Also interesting on the back it states "return to sender". Perhaps these were mailed out like a redemption? I have no idea.

If anyone does have this same version, I'd love to see it...as well as any other "new" version from this issue.

These are who I believe to be the players - thanks to Shawn England for finding this info from one of his contacts
Back row - Quest - Gore - Williamson - Burns
Middle row - Dalrymple - Flint - Anson - Goldsmith - Kelly
Front row - Nicol - Corcoran

Blown up version, and then below it is the image from the 2011 Legendary auction to compare photographs -

Last edited by asphaltman; 01-09-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Shawn England

Default White Stockings

Beautiful Cabinet David... As mentioned before.

Actually, it was Mark who gave the names of the players.

Special thanks to bmarlowe1!

Shawn

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 01-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Dave Fa*st

Ah, thanks Shawn as far as pointing out Mark. Even the version that sold in Mastro in 2006 which had the players listed on the back appears to be incorrect!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Ken Wirt

Awesome cabinet!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Better scan, nice pickup.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
George

Dave, congratulations on an amazing cabinet! I couldn't help but go back to a woodcut and a Noah Brooks book both which depict the 1882 Chicago White Stockings.

I've included both below. Comparing both cabinets to the Harper's weekly woodcut you'll note that some of the players have played musical chairs.

I think what is more interesting is that on the Noah Brook's book, the lithograph covers matches the second cabinet, not your cabinet. I wonder if there are any other memorabilia pieces that match your cabinet. At least these two do not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1882 chicago baseball club.jpg (35.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg baseball2.jpg (79.4 KB, 349 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Mark

Note that the Harper's Weekly woodcut represents a mirror image of reality. Once you sort through the musical chairs, you can see that everyone's hair is parted on the wrong side.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 01-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Dave Fa*st

Thanks for the responses guys. Is it known how many different teams are featured by the photographer?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Three-Detroit, Providence and Chicago
Old 08-15-2022, 07:49 AM
Stephen Benzel

I won this beauty in the REA auction last night! And just found this thread this morning. Thanks for the clarification on Billy Sunday. I was confused by why he would be in the picture if the date is right, but Corcoran does kind of look like him. I was extra motivated to pick this up because I didn't yet have an issue of any kind featuring Fred Goldsmith. He's not on any regular card issues because he was done playing after 1884.

Last edited by Shankweather; 08-15-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:19 AM
N.ate A.dams

Haven't stumbled across your site before - I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankweather View Post
I won this beauty in the REA auction last night! And just found this thread this morning. Thanks for the clarification on Billy Sunday. I was confused by why he would be in the picture if the date is right, but Corcoran does kind of look like him. I was extra motivated to pick this up because I didn't yet have an issue of any kind featuring Fred Goldsmith. He's not on any regular card issues because he was done playing after 1884.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:06 PM
Stephen Benzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Haven't stumbled across your site before - I love it!
Thanks man!