NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-25-2022, 12:32 PM
James M.

Default Small rant on the state of signings nowadays

I want to preface this by saying I fully understand that people have the right to charge whatever they want for their signature, it's a free market economy after all.

For the life of me though, it's mind boggling how expensive getting a players autograph is now. Especially from most of the people in the upper echelon of the sport. Everyone seemingly has exclusive contracts with Tristar or Fanatics and charge an arm and leg for everything. I understand that "$10 in 1985 is X today" but even adjusting for inflation the prices are absurd. Never mind children being able to get something signed by their current favorite player or a legend of the game, I don't know how adults afford this.

There was an article in the LA Times in the 1980's detailing the prices of signings and how they were getting "out of hand," which I linked below:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...-92-story.html

But even then it states that:

"During a recent show at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, patrons paid $20 each for Mantle, Williams and Muhammad Ali autographs, $11 for ex-Dodger pitcher Sandy Koufax and $10 for all-time hit leader Pete Rose"

Those five names alone are absolute legends of the sport, even adjusting for inflation, you're talking about 50 dollars a head for Ali, Mantle and Williams. Nowadays? If you want a Jersey signed by Tom Brady, you have to get it through Tri-Stars exclusive set up and it will run you at least 1K. If you want Joe Montana to sign something with Tom Brady's auto already on it he's charging $1500. I understand it's become a business but this isn't affordable at all. And sure some people will pay these prices but you feel for the masses out there that can't afford to drop a thousand dollars just so they can get something signed by their favorite athlete. Where do we go from here?

Rant over, slightly larger than I planned, but It needs to be said!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:36 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

It is pretty sad and a complete joke how much they charge. I get it, but some casual fans would like an affordable piece of history from a legend and they literally can't. I have so many items I would love to add some special athletes to, but no way in hell I'll pony up that kind of money.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

People will charge what people will pay.

If there is a line at $195, the price may go to $250.

Like most things, a large % of the folks on line for autographs are not fans of the player or collectors but just looking to turn it around and make a buck on eBay or somewhere else.

Used to be a quirky thing some fans did. Now it's a business model.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-25-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:22 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
It is pretty sad and a complete joke how much they charge. I get it, but some casual fans would like an affordable piece of history from a legend and they literally can't. I have so many items I would love to add some special athletes to, but no way in hell I'll pony up that kind of money.
My sentiments exactly. There are certain items I would absolutely love to have signed. And don't get me wrong there are current and former players that are still affordable. You even get guys like Bobby Hull that in my opinion, does the right thing. I think he only charges $60 for Jerseys which in this market is incredibly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Like most things, a large % of the folks on line for autographs are not fans of the player or collectors but just looking to turn it around and make a buck on eBay or somewhere else.

I would agree Steve. It was something nice to have and collect, and now it's become a complete business model. I understand why too. It is, what it is.

Donscards.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:25 PM

Don't even get me started.

And for $1500 or whatever it costs for Tom Brady, he can take the time to write every letter. He should have to take calligraphy class and write like Gene Lillard every single time. Every single inscription. Every little nuance should be perfect. If there's even the slightest blemish, it's a do-over at his cost.

The tired excuse of "kids aren't taught cursive in school anymore" doesn't apply to that old man.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:15 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

This is pretty much it. Autographs have been a business for a decent amount of time now and it isn't the athletes that have created that business. They are just trying to capture back some of the value in their name. To a certain extent, their signature is their intellectual property.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:26 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
They are just trying to capture back some of the value in their name. To a certain extent, their signature is their intellectual property.
I feel like that certainly can be a fair assessment for players who played long ago, when salaries were nowhere near what they are today. But for someone like Mike Trout for an Example to charge $700 for a signed baseball when he is sitting on a $400 million dollar contract, it just rubs me the wrong way a little. Especially with his signature. Looks like a random scribble!

Donscards.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

So why not get an autographed Montana card for $100 instead? Leaf just put a whole bunch on the market through their Art of Sport release.

Or $300 for a Trout auto card? You don't have to pay to get items signed. You can get their autograph much cheaper if you choose to.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:11 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
So why not get an autographed Montana card for $100 instead? Leaf just put a whole bunch on the market through their Art of Sport release.

Or $300 for a Trout auto card? You don't have to pay to get items signed. You can get their autograph much cheaper if you choose to.
John,

I think you bring up a good point, I was referring more to having the experience of having them sign an item of yours in person, or maybe having them sign an item of significance for you. The counterargument would be that your paying for the experience + them signing an item of your choosing, but I still think the prices have gone a little haywire. The idea you presented is a very cost friendly one though.

Donscards.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:44 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I feel like that certainly can be a fair assessment for players who played long ago, when salaries were nowhere near what they are today. But for someone like Mike Trout for an Example to charge $700 for a signed baseball when he is sitting on a $400 million dollar contract, it just rubs me the wrong way a little. Especially with his signature. Looks like a random scribble!
Coming back to this a bit late, but a great philosopher once said "Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king. And a king ain't satisfied till he rules everything."
Old 06-28-2022, 01:16 PM

Short story. I was looking through my autograph collection a few weeks ago and came across my Ron Cey autographed rookie, 73 Topps. I thought why not see if I can get Schmidt's and Hilton's autograph also - sounded good. I first checked for Schmidt's signing. I found where he was doing an in-person signing and you could also send in the item. I forget exactly the amounts, and I'm sickened to look it up again, but he was charging let's say $250 for a simple autograph (no inscription, etc.). The price for him to sign his 73 Topps was about 2-3 times higher! I couldn't believe it! I quickly erased that thought from my mind and decided it wasn't happening. This thread made me remember how horrible I thought that was. If you're paying x amount for a simple autograph - what does it matter what he/she is signing! Same amount of time, etc.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:51 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Coming back to this a bit late, but a great philosopher once said "Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king. And a king ain't satisfied till he rules everything."
I bet that great philosopher went out and proved it all night, too. LOL
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 07-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

My parents thought Pete Rose was too much at $15 back in 84-85. My Mom got his auto for free in the early 70s. Different times I guess. I remember when Joe Montana went to $150 some years ago and I thought that was crazy. If I get to meet the player I guess you can justify the price. If it’s just a signing where you mail the stuff off, no way. People were paying over 1500 for a Robert Downey Jr auto with inscription and it was a mail away deal. I’m sure it sold out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk