NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Default MLB Network "Cardboard Treasure"

Tonight @ 7pm pacific the MLB Network will be airing "Cardboard Treasure" A 60-year history of Topps. Enjoy. Barry
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Patrick N.

Default show

bump, now playing
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Scott

Im watching this as I type. Awesome show!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Jeff Emerson

I felt like I was watching a commercial for Topps.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 AM

Agreed. 5 minutes worth of cool stuff and 55 minutes of worthless promotion of the Topps company and interviews with current players talking about buying Griffey Rookies back in the day. Still worth watching, but it could have been a really cool show especially if they had shown more in the Topps vault and history behind the company and not so much modern crap and promotion. Just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Scott

Yeah, I really liked it overall, but the vintage stuff would have been even better. Perhaps we will see another show on the more historical evolution of collecting.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Rich Klein

Default On a ratings/advertising viewpoint

You got to focus more on modern players than on the older stuff. Good background and interesting vintage tidbits are fine -- but to get anyone outside of our small group (and yes we are a smaill group) interested in cards -- you have to focus on what is current to the wider audience.

After they join the fold, then they can be interested in the older cards of the world.

Rich
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I only got to see the first 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I was at my parents house last night, and planned on watching it there. I got about 5 minutes in, and it was looking like a really good show, and then my dad had his tv set up to record the news, so it automatically turned there. I didn't know if he'd set it accidentally, or if he actually wanted to record something that was specifically going to be on the news that night. I ended up not changing it, so that I wouldn't risk screwing up his recording without knowing for sure. Anyways, it turns out that apparently my parents record the 10 o'clock news every night, and then watch it together later. Well, at least I got a good laugh out of it.

Anyone know when, or if this will replay?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
You got to focus more on modern players than on the older stuff. Good background and interesting vintage tidbits are fine -- but to get anyone outside of our small group (and yes we are a smaill group) interested in cards -- you have to focus on what is current to the wider audience.

After they join the fold, then they can be interested in the older cards of the world.

Rich
Agreed 1000%!!! It would be nice to maybe see a mini-series or something that breaks down the different era's or something.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsets4u View Post
I felt like I was watching a commercial for Topps.
I must agree it seemed more like a payed info-mericial for Topps.
But if the hobby gets a few more people interested, all the better.

Also kind of sad that when they showed T206 backs it was the modern issue backs and not the pre-war T206 backs.

I did see some very nice T205s!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Chris

Looks like cards are getting some bling bling, WTF! Out of all the uncut sheets to show us they pick a reprint sheet? And Brandon Inge did not put cards in his spokes when he was a kid (B.S.). I am his age and we put that early 90's stuff in a box in the closet to keep them mint, that is why they are worthless!! Other than that great show, loved the Billy Ripken "sorry" bat.

Last edited by hunterdutchess; 03-30-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdutchess View Post
Looks like cards are getting some bling bling, WTF!
I heard that too. Little diamonds!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Jimmy M

Default 4/4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I only got to see the first 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I was at my parents house last night, and planned on watching it there. I got about 5 minutes in, and it was looking like a really good show, and then my dad had his tv set up to record the news, so it automatically turned there. I didn't know if he'd set it accidentally, or if he actually wanted to record something that was specifically going to be on the news that night. I ended up not changing it, so that I wouldn't risk screwing up his recording without knowing for sure. Anyways, it turns out that apparently my parents record the 10 o'clock news every night, and then watch it together later. Well, at least I got a good laugh out of it.

Anyone know when, or if this will replay?
If I remember from when I set my DVR, it will be on again April 4th...in the afternoon?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegashousegang View Post
If I remember from when I set my DVR, it will be on again April 4th...in the afternoon?
+1

Noon Central
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
John Hanssen

Not the 1st time a modern card co. put a real diamond on/in a card. Pennacle Zinth issue from the mid-90s did it also. They were pretty small as I remember.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Mike

If all our moms threw away our cards how come so many still exist today ? Also how could any exist in Mint condition from the pre 1930's ? You telling me no one touch them in all those years.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Erich W

Default yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
I must agree it seemed more like a payed info-mericial for Topps.
But if the hobby gets a few more people interested, all the better.

Also kind of sad that when they showed T206 backs it was the modern issue backs and not the pre-war T206 backs.

I did see some very nice T205s!!!

Agreed, but not surprising given that Topps is the only remaining manufacturer of Cards today...who else would they focus on?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM

I thought the funniest moment was Maury Wills talking about how excited he was to see himself on a baseball card when he made the majors.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Bruce C.

I watched and thought the show was very "nice". Obviously they were wrong when they said the 1952 Topps was Willie Mays rookie, but they were correct in calling Mantle's 52 Topps his 1st Topps card and the 51 Bowman his rookie. I laughed when they pulled the reprint sheet out and stated that every card was a rookie card (all years mixed together). I did learn that on Hank Aaron's 1956 Topps, it is not him in the background picture but actually Willie mays airbrushed into a Braves uniform. The Billy Ripken spot was a little neat, and it was kinda nice seeing a bit of Dmitri Young's collection.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Enjoyed seeing the red and green Polar Bear backs on those T206s
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Jimmy M

Default Pretty good

I watched it last night - not too bad. I like Dmitri Young's custom graded card cases...really nice looking.