NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Any Brooklyn Dodgers collectors out there?

With our hobby getting younger and younger collectors , it seems like all they want to collect is mike trout and Aaron judge. Or mookie betts or Christian yelich! Some will go “old school” and collect Derek Jeter or roger Clemens! So, I was wondering are there any collectors out there that collect Brooklyn Dodgers? If so let’s see them!!!

It’s sad with only 20 or so living Brooklyn Dodgers, I’m afraid this generation won’t understand how historic of a team they were.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I had a friend who was a big Brooklyn fan. Never really got it until I started researching them, and then fell in love with those bums. On the collecting front, I collect the 55 Dodger team. I would have had them all by now, but other projects always seem to get in the way. As of right now, I still need 4 players, one coach, the owner and Vin Scully. All of those are fairly easy, just haven't turned my attention to them recently.
As for collecting them, I try to get as many of the 55 team players on signed magazines (doesn't have to be on a 55 magazine), 55 Topps or Bowman cards, 3x5's, photos, and a couple of cuts on a scorecard at Dodger Stadium when I was a boy (who knew I'd appreciate autographs of Walt Alston and Jim Gilliam many years later. LOL).
By the way, I think there are only 15 living Brooklyn players left, 4 of which are from the 55 team. That's a real bummer.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Rick

Interesting question. I am always surprised when at Dodger Stadium, I hear fans often say "I didn't know the Dodgers came from Brooklyn" when they show old footage on the big screens. Growing up in LA, I always considered them just LA, until I spent time living in NY and grew to appreciate the Brooklyn history and what the team meant to the borough. I think the one thing that will keep collectors and fans interested in Brooklyn is the history of Jackie Robinson. People collect Ruth and Gehrig and a whole host of others having never seen them play, and Jackie is such an important part of history that he will keep the Brooklyn Dodgers in focus.

I also collect items related to Jackie and the '55 Dodgers. One of my favorites is below, a 1955 Yearbook signed by the whole team, and signed "to Irene, from Happy Felton".

Rick

1955 signed Dodger yearbook for posting.jpg

Last edited by rlevy; 09-30-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Faulty memory
Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 AM

Happy Felton
Old 09-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Happy Felton
Darn Jodi, I couldn't out type you. LOL
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Happy Felton
You are correct, I shouldn't post before morning coffee. When I bought this years ago (pre-internet), I thought this was Happy Chandler, but later learned it was Happy Felton when I saw his autograph. This morning I just reverted in my memory to Chandler. Thanks for the catch.

Rick
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 AM

A great addition to such an item, too. Too bad Gladys Goodding and Hilda Chester were rarely asked to sign, as they would have been icing on the cake. I've been fortunate to own examples of both.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:15 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Interesting question. I am always surprised when at Dodger Stadium, I hear fans often say "I didn't know the Dodgers came from Brooklyn" when they show old footage on the big screens. Growing up in LA, I always considered them just LA, until I spent time living in NY and grew to appreciate the Brooklyn history and what the team meant to the borough. I think the one thing that will keep collectors and fans interested in Brooklyn is the history of Jackie Robinson. People collect Ruth and Gehrig and a whole host of others having never seen them play, and Jackie is such an important part of history that he will keep the Brooklyn Dodgers in focus.

I also collect items related to Jackie and the '55 Dodgers. One of my favorites is below, a 1955 Yearbook signed by the whole team, and signed "to Irene, from Happy Chandler".

Rick

Attachment 367674
Rick, are you sure that's Happy Chandler? Looks a little more like Happy Felton. He did the Knothole gang show for the Dodgers.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Curt

Unless another slipped by me, we are down to 15 former Brooklyn Dodgers among the living.

Been tracking it for a while as I was expanding my collection.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspo...ckens-rip.html

I have tried to grab as many different as I can find/afford on a collector budget. I started later than I could/should have, so I am missing a fair number of the real key signatures prior to the 40s if they are expensive/hard to find.

I do have the LA run complete with the exception of 2 new additions this year that I have yet to track down (Gonsolin & Sadler), but there should still be plenty of time to get those and start adding new names soon as well.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Richard Simon

I can tell you that the market for Brooklyn Dodgers items, with Jackie Robinson being the exception, is not near what it used to be.
btw - that 1955 cover is fantastic.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I can tell you that the market for Brooklyn Dodgers items, with Jackie Robinson being the exception, is not near what it used to be.
Thanks Richard. I really like how carefully everyone signed the cover so the signatures are so visible. Sometimes they sign across the cover images and the signatures blend into the image.

It's not surprising to me that the market for Brooklyn Dodgers items (except for Jackie) is softer than it was. For the most part, people in LA don't feel any real connection to the Dodgers' Brooklyn years. so those who collect Brooklyn items are fewer in number as time goes by. It's probably a different story for teams with a continuous presence in one geographic market.

Rick
Old 10-04-2019, 10:09 AM

My Brooklyn contribution. SI cover with Johnny Podres. Magazine cover has minor issues. Autograph obtained in-person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg podres.jpg (72.2 KB, 764 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I'll add this one. I have this as the center piece on my Brooklyn wall. 36 brooklyn sigs (7 from the 55 team). Purchased from Jim Stinson...we miss ya buddy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooklyndodgers.jpg (82.3 KB, 764 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Wink I wonder if Richard's statement (#12) is applicable to most/all teams now days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Aside from those collecting HOF signatures, it seems (IMHO) that interest in team collecting has diminished considerably. Even, possibly, crossing over
to collecting ballplayer autographs from historic teams, such as the 1927 New York Yankees, 1919 Chicago White Sox, 1919 Cincinnati Reds,
1955 Brooklyn Dodgers, etc. If true, just wish that resulted in more of the obscure autographs I seek to come to market, and/or at irresistible prices

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 12-13-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post
Aside from those collecting HOF signatures, it seems (IMHO) that interest in team collecting has diminished considerably. Even, possibly, crossing over
to collecting ballplayer autographs from historic teams, such as the 1927 New York Yankees, 1919 Chicago White Sox, 1919 Cincinnati Reds,
1955 Brooklyn Dodgers, etc. If true, just wish that resulted in more of the obscure autographs I seek to come to market, and/or at irresistible prices
I agree, and I understand that the average collector doesn't want to collect a team that might have one or two obscure players that might cost as much as a Ruth or Gehrig. Card collectors have the same problem when they pick a year to collect that might have a famous rookie card in it...like Mantle, Aaron, etc.
For me so far, except for the 1919 Black Sox, obscure has only meant 200-300 bucks for teams like the 1955 Dodgers, 1960 Pirates, 61 Yankees and 69 Cubs.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete

Last edited by mr2686; 12-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:56 AM

Keep the posts and photos coming guys! Great stuff and discussions!