NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Default here we go again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Step...#ht_500wt_1154

WOW-sers
Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I'd buy the holder!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Clayton

$18,000.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

What am I missing here? I know he's a wicked pitcher, but what's up with the inflated prices?

Clayton
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
$18,000.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

What am I missing here? I know he's a wicked pitcher, but what's up with the inflated prices?

Clayton
its just new, and people love "new"....just like a new set of shoes, new style gear.....people are dumb

funny thing is, he could go on to win ROY, 5 cy youngs...etc...and i still be this card wont go above 5-7 grand in 10 years
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Clayton

Very true, I just find it amazing that a players card could go for so much with hardly any history behind him. We'll see what the future brings,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Clayton
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Clayton

If I had $18,000.00 to spend on cards I would spend it all on T206's. I would buy a Magie error,each Cobb, and pick up any HOFers that I don't have yet

Clayton
Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Donny Muth

Default For $18,000 ...

What would you buy? Right now the bid is $18k and I can think of a ton of vintage stuff that I've always wanted and would be able to get if I had $18k to blow. What vintage cards or memorabilia would you spend your $18k on? Just curious.

I might...
-- Fill in a bunch of holes in my T206 set including some HOF'ers and rare backs
-- Pick up some 1900-1930's HOF'er cards and/or autographs
-- Start an Old Judge subset
-- Add to my T3 set (currently consisting of a single card )

Those are probably too vanilla for some of you advanced collectors. So, let's hear what you would get?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it's a gamble.....

To me it's just another gamble at that price. Hey, we do it all of the time with pre-war. That is just a shiny new card they are doing it with.

For 18k there are thousands of pre-war cards I could buy. Heck the uniquely known 1915 Thorpe I picked up was only half that cost.

It's fun to watch this new stuff though...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I actually feel kind of sorry for the seller if the bids are not legit. The guy has 100% feedback and doesn't look to be a fraudulent account phishing for illicitly obtained money. He seems to have pulled a card at just the right moment and has a chance for some real bank from it but a bunch of yo-yos are messing with his auction. Just because a lot of collectors scoff at the hype and pricing of these sorts of cards doesn't mean that they have the right to wreck this guy's auction. Kinda basic manners, if you ask me, a Golden Rule sort of thing. I know I'd be pretty pissed off if I was selling something on Ebay and a bunch of dorks hijacked my auction and wrecked it for me.

Edited to add: I see he's now added this:

Ebay has finally allowed me to pre-approve bidders. If you would like to bid on this item and are able and willing to pay please email me before bidding to get approval. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BID ON THIS ITEM please contact me also as I will be deleting bids of people who do not contact me. Thanks for your time.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-25-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Barry Sloate

He's been deleting bids like crazy. At one point yesterday he had about 280. Right now he only has 168. It seems pointless to remove underbids, so I assume he is in fact disqualifying bidders.

On what basis can he determine which bidders are legitimate?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Chris

He is going to get a million for this card. I bet the winning bidder is from a giant corp. and is going to use it for a promotion.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Jim D

well even though he eliminated bids, the price still hasn't declined.... maybe 1.5 mill?? id be crapping my pants if this was my card....

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Funny how this card hovers just south of 1 mil. You'd think someone would kick in the extra $500 to push it above 1 mil.