NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2022, 09:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default OT - Tom Brady Football

So the saga rolls on with Brady's final, not so final, TD ball. Back at Lelands.

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=110677

Sure most board members remember the last chapter with the voided $500,000 sale. Sitting a little under $30,000 today.

The interesting twist is how bizarre the Brady saga is playing out. Have you seen a picture of him lately? He looks like hell. Who knows what's going on with this guy. Is he sick? Has his wife packed up and left with the kids? It's all really really odd. Even by Brady standards.

If this auction ended tonight I might have paid 30 or 35 K for this ball. I'm not convinced that he's going to play this year. Or ever again. He might turn around next week and just say f*ck it I'm going back home. I look at pictures of him and I think something just looks very off. Without being insensitive or flip, if this was a guy I work with or an old friend and I saw after some time some of these recent pictures would make me think he is very ill. But he says he will play. If he does play I'm predicting 2 or 3 games max and then back to Giselle.

Would you buy this ball theoretically tonight for $30,000? Auction doesn't close for a few weeks so the answer will be clear before the ball sells.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-03-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hard to blame Giselle for being angry IMO. He's 45 and has accomplished anything and everything, why on earth risk more concussions etc. Seems very selfish and egotistical of him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-03-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:08 AM
Dave

It seems odd to me that a Tom Brady football card can sell for millions, but so many people are hemming and hawing over 1/2 a Mill (or much less now), for a famous, playoff thrown TD football by Tom Brady, that has rock solid documentation and provenance, hundreds of stories written about it in the mainstream media and 10's of thousands more in the social media strata.

It may be the most famous (or infamous) piece of football memorabilia in history, (Is the deflategate football available for sale anywhere?) and there's a great chance, based on the circumstances of this football, this may be the last thrown Tom Brady TD football that will ever become available to the general public.

So yeah, if I had 30 grand to blow (and was single LOL), sure, I'd buy this in a second for 30 grand.

Somebody will pay much more then that though.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:17 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Not for me. I am not a football collector.
But if I was going to go for a football a Tom Brady would not be a bad investment

However depends on the price(which I have no experience with)

This ball goes from being his last to now potentially being 30 or 40 career TD balls away from his last depending on this years TD count of his

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-03-2022, 10:39 AM
Dave

Even if he doesn't quit and go back to Giselle, there's a very good chance this is his last Playoff TD pass.

.....and how many well documented Tom Brady playoff TD footballs are even in existence and someday available to the general public?
Old 09-03-2022, 11:03 AM
John P0we11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
So the saga rolls on with Brady's final, not so final, TD ball. Back at Lelands.

Sure most board members remember the last chapter with the voided $500,000 sale. Sitting a little under $30,000 today.

The interesting twist is how bizarre the Brady saga is playing out. Have you seen a picture of him lately? He looks like hell. Who knows what's going on with this guy. Is he sick? Has his wife packed up and left with the kids? It's all really really odd. Even by Brady standards.

If this auction ended tonight I might have paid 30 or 35 K for this ball. I'm not convinced that he's going to play this year. Or ever again. He might turn around next week and just say f*ck it I'm going back home. I look at pictures of him and I think something just looks very off. Without being insensitive or flip, if this was a guy I work with or an old friend and I saw after some time some of these recent pictures would make me think he is very ill. But he says he will play. If he does play I'm predicting 2 or 3 games max and then back to Giselle.

Would you buy this ball theoretically tonight for $30,000? Auction doesn't close for a few weeks so the answer will be clear before the ball sells.

For what it’s worth, the guy’s 45 years old and in my opinion looks 25. I guess I just don’t see it……even googled recent pics of him at his son’s scrimmage and from the preseason before he left camp and I think he looks fantastic. I’m 42 and in what I consider to be excellent health and I look like dog $—t compared to Brady. My guess is he once again plays a full or almost full season and the Bucs are SB contenders again this season.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:04 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Seems very selfish and egotistical of him.
I don’t think it’s ego or selfishness. He doesn’t need the fame or fortune, so it’s probably not those. What then is it?

Football is in his DNA. It is his identity. Brady has played the game for over 40 years. It’s hard to walk away from who you are, especially when you are still playing at a high level. You should know this, Peter.

How many old multi-millionaire lawyers do you see still practicing? They obviously don’t need the money or notoriety. The law flows through their veins. It’s giving something up which you’ve done your entire life that is hard.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Needing to do something that’s in your dna or running through your veins is very close to ego. I’ve known a lot of 80 year old law partners who can’t enjoy a vacation with their families because they have a view that everything will come crashing down if they are not pulling all the strings all the time. That is ego, and it makes for a surprisingly number of lawyers at that age who don’t talk to their kids, are hated by their grandchildren, and can’t remember the last time they sat on a beach and had a drink. Believe me. Ive know a lot of them. A real danger of the profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I don’t think it’s ego or selfishness. He doesn’t need

the fame or fortune, so it’s probably not those. What then is it?

Football is in his DNA. It is his identity. Brady has played the game for over 40 years. It’s hard to walk away from who you are, especially when you are still playing at a high level. You should know this, Peter.

How many old multi-millionaire lawyers do you see still practicing? They obviously don’t need the money or notoriety. The law flows through their veins. It’s giving something up which you’ve done your entire life that is hard.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-03-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don’t think it’s ego or selfishness. He doesn’t need the fame or fortune, so it’s probably not those. What then is it?

Brent, not saying I don't understand it, but when his wife has been pleading with him for years to stop risking his health, and it's obviously very hard on her, vis a vis her it does become selfish IMO. He clearly is not putting his family/marriage first. Honestly, and this is just pure speculation, I think given an ultimatum by her he would choose football. Hope I am wrong.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-03-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:55 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Even if he doesn't quit and go back to Giselle, there's a very good chance this is his last Playoff TD pass.

.....and how many well documented Tom Brady playoff TD footballs are even in existence and someday available to the general public?
You are 100% correct but as you saw by the value drop last TD football is still more valuable than if it was his last playoff TD at least at the moment

Still a nice piece

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-03-2022, 02:03 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Not sure I would pay 30K for it but you are 100% correct that he is a wild card. As incredible an athlete as he has been there has been controversy around the retirement issue. Not quite Brett Favre caliber stuff but pretty close.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of wealthy a-hole lawyers who don't get along with any of their family members.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 09-03-2022 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:00 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Lelands has been trying so hard to hype that ball as the most discussed football ever but it seems like no one really care.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

He just threw a TD.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:41 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Brady looks fine to me..funny someone can bet best ever for 20 years...then how he 'looks' suddenly 20 years is discounted....yeah if you say whats wrong with him every week for the next 4 years...sooner or later you will right...a broken clock is right as well sometimes.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Brady looks fine to me..funny someone can bet best ever for 20 years...then how he 'looks' suddenly 20 years is discounted....yeah if you say whats wrong with him every week for the next 4 years...sooner or later you will right...a broken clock is right as well sometimes.
He is 45. This is beyond absurd.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

as people get up in years, society is younger and younger relatively to them. To young kids, you are just someone to get out of the way at the grocery store, however the job you have can still give you that significance...thats why aging multimillionaires professionals still want the accolades and attention from the mini world society, but once they no longer doing that professin they are just another person to get out of the way at the grocery store...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-11-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
as people get up in years, society is younger and younger relatively to them. To young kids, you are just someone to get out of the way at the grocery store, however the job you have can still give you that significance...thats why aging multimillionaires professionals still want the accolades and attention from the mini world society, but once they no longer doing that professin they are just another person to get out of the way at the grocery store...
My two favorite lines on aging.

"Though much is taken, much abides."

"An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress,"

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-11-2022 at 09:12 PM.