NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2020, 11:43 AM
David Kathman

Default SABR Jefferson Burdick Award

Just a heads up that SABR's Baseball Cards Research Committee is taking nominations for the inaugural Jefferson Burdick Award for Contributions to the Hobby. Below are the award criteria, process, and rules, as laid out in the blog post announcing the award, a link to which is at the bottom of this post.

AWARD CRITERIA
Yes, we are looking for YOU to nominate a worthy recipient who has made significant contributions to the hobby in such areas as–

* Baseball card research/scholarship
* Baseball card creation/production/innovation
* Developing/maintaining resources (e.g., publications, websites, communities, events) for collectors
* Increasing access, knowledge, or enjoyment

In short, we are looking for the individuals who have made baseball card collecting a better hobby for the rest of us.

AWARD PROCESS
Have someone in mind? Here is what we’d like you to do.

* No later than February 28, use the Contact form on this website to let us know your nominee(s) along with with a very brief description of their role or contributions. A few sentences is sufficient at this stage in the process.
* Be available for follow-up in case more information is needed.

On our end, we (your committee co-chairs, Nick and Jason) will vet the nominees and hope to arrive at a short list of finalists. Once finalists are determined, we will work with nominees to turn each finalist nomination into a post here on the SABR Baseball Cards blog and then work with our Awards Subcommittee* to choose the award winner.

*Subject to availability, those committee members who contributed at least 12 posts to the SABR Baseball Cards blog in the preceding year.

AWARD RULES
A couple quick notes before closing this post and putting the ball in your court:

* Nominees should be living at the time of nomination (and we’ll hope for their sake still alive by SABR 50!)
* You must be a SABR member to participate in the nomination process. If you are not yet a member, please join!
* The nomination deadline is February 28, 2020.

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2020/...burdick-award/
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM
pete ullman

Pwcc?
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Johnny MaZilli

The BODA and The FBI Agent Handling this case gets my vote.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Derek Granger

I'm no longer a SABR member, but it's too bad that the person has to still be living for this award...first name that came to my mind was Bob Lemke.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
... it's too bad that the person has to still be living for this award...first name that came to my mind was Bob Lemke.
+1
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Tom Boblitt

The BBHOF has done a lot of posthumous awards. My vote would 100% go to Bob. Not sure there's a close #2.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default second that

on so many levels...…...
Old 01-14-2020, 03:09 PM
pete ullman

agree! If not PWCC it's gotta be BOB L!
Old 01-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Mike

I learned a lot about cards from the Lew Lipset books ( 19th Century, E and T cards). Besides Bob Lemke, I'd nominate him.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Thanks for posting. As one of the committee co-chairs I am first off grateful for any nominations you see fit to make. This is a brand new award and it may evolve over time to include deceased persons. That's something I can talk over with my co-chair and the SABR Board.

Definitely follow the link to make your nominations official. Deadline is Feb 28. Happy to answer any questions or help however I can.

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2020/...burdick-award/

Jason

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Another vote for Bob Lemke

He was the first person who came to mind when I read the post.

I am not sure how much of the groundwork was his, but Ted Zanidakis has done some amazing T206 posts on these boards - I know I learned a ton from him and I only dabble in the T206's.

Last edited by hcv123; 01-14-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I think Dennis Eckes and Dr. Beckett who together created the Annual Baseball card Price guide as we know it today, deserve consideration for the award.
Denny used his knowledge as a chemical engineer to develop plastic sheets that held T206, Goudeys's, 48 to 50 Bowmans..etc and ran Dens collectors Den. Jim Beckett whose Monthly Price Guides and Grading Service continue to be relevent 40 years later in our hobby.
Two nice guys who contributed alot to our hobby.
Jonathan
Old 01-15-2020, 12:17 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Given the stated criteria for the award, in my mind there are two worthy candidates who are clearly ahead of the pack, Lew Lipset and Rob Lifson. Lew codified existing knowledge, and added to it, in his seminal three volume work. He also published a newsletter for many years which also added to the knowledge base and enjoyment of the hobby. While at times not the friendliest guy in the world, his contribution to the hobby is undeniable.
Someone new to the hobby might ask why I included Rob Lifson. After all, didn’t he just run an auction house. Actually, Rob contributed incredibly to the hobby’s knowledge base through the lot write-ups in his catalog. Rob went beyond the usual drivel that is passed off as lot descriptions. He researched interesting pieces and wrote descriptions that were more research works than catalog fodder. He was thorough, factual and interesting. The catalogs he produced were reference books.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:23 AM
Scott Levy

Default My vote

If living - Lee Lipset. If deceased, Bob Lemke
Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Am seeing some very worthy candidates here. I have to emphasize that consideration for the award requires nomination by a SABR member through the link provided in the original announcement (bottom of this article).

Something I'm happy to see, since this is our first year doing this, is that the spirit of the award seems to be coming through in the names I'm seeing on this page. I was worried initially that people might mistake it for "biggest collection," "made the most money," etc., and those kinds of things tend to be de-emphasized over on the SABR side.

Thanks for keeping the discussion going, and I'd love to see some official nominations come from this thread.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I am a member of SABR and someone on this board in mind.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I think Dennis Eckes and Dr. Beckett who together created the Annual Baseball card Price guide as we know it today, deserve consideration for the award.
Denny used his knowledge as a chemical engineer to develop plastic sheets that held T206, Goudeys's, 48 to 50 Bowmans..etc and ran Dens collectors Den. Jim Beckett whose Monthly Price Guides and Grading Service continue to be relevent 40 years later in our hobby.
Two nice guys who contributed alot to our hobby.
Jonathan
Mr. Eckes passed in 1991 and is not eligible at this point. Dr. James Beckett is, and yes I'm prejudiced in this comment, far more worthy than any one else mentioned.

Simple reason, what he (and later his staff) did was do yeoman's work in popularizing the hobby and synthesizing the information to the point where many of the great researchers we've mentioned could build on that platform. Beckett magazines were immensely popular because they appealed to a majority of the people within the card collecting hobby.

Sometimes we forget on this board that we are a small percentage of the overall hobby. And understanding what our real role is very important. And you know, I could never have done the work I did on the Almanac without the work Jim did on distilling the information already out there. We, and when I say we it means most of us, just added to what he built.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-16-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Mr. Eckes passed in 1991 and is not eligible at this point. Dr. James Beckett is, and yes I'm prejudiced in this comment, far more worthy than any one else mentioned.

Simple reason, what he (and later his staff) did was do yeoman's work in popularizing the hobby and synthesizing the information to the point where many of the great researchers we've mentioned could build on that platform. Beckett magazines were immensely popular because they appealed to a majority of the people within the card collecting hobby.

Sometimes we forget on this board that we are a small percentage of the overall hobby. And understanding what our real role is very important. And you know, I could never have done the work I did on the Almanac without the work Jim did on distilling the information already out there. We, and when I say we it means most of us, just added to what he built.

Regards
Rich
Wow! and "Thank You" Mr. Klein...

After reading this... i felt the Mic Drop!!!