NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 05:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
There’s no doubt that the vast majority of people get along just fine. My comment was directed more towards the small groups who are still hanging on to hate and division. They’re the ones who just need to let shit go and get along with everyone else. Unfortunately, they’re the ones that get all the press.

Maybe don't invoke Rodney King next time.

It is satisfying to see you try and deflect.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-05-2024, 06:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by particra17 View Post
There a thousand statues that can be stolen and melted down/sold for scrap. There’s only one reason why you cut down and steal a Jackie Robinson statue: you are a scum racist.

Not really the first thing I think of when a statue is stolen. It could be my naivety, regardless of the nature of the statue itself. Everything has to be polarized

Old 02-05-2024, 06:41 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Maybe don't invoke Rodney King next time.

It is satisfying to see you try and deflect.
No one is invoking Rodney King, so I’m not even sure where you got that from and I’m certainly not deflecting. My point is the same. There are groups here in Richmond that seem to want to remember the Civil War and still try to fight it. I see it every day. There’s also groups who want to riot and tear down statues instead of doing things the proper way. Those are the groups at odds with each other, and the rest of us are just caught in the middle.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:34 AM
Jeff P

Those who preach tolerance are often the least tolerant.

And for those looking at this as a political statement, the reality is that there are extremists on BOTH sides that fit this description ... they're just intolerant on different issues. Blaming the 'other side' is a huge part of the problem in this country IMHO.

Regardless of the motive, cutting down that statue and burning it is despicable.

jeff
Old 02-05-2024, 07:46 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

And for those looking at this as a political statement, the reality is that there are extremists on BOTH sides that fit this description ... they're just intolerant on different issues. Blaming the 'other side' is a huge part of the problem in this country IMHO.

Regardless of the motive, cutting down that statue and burning it is despicable.

jeff
Well said.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:25 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

jeff
Agreed. Generalizing and finger pointing have polarized the country. Whereas a small percentage, the outliers, seem to garner the most attention and people are "lumped" Into groups

The idiots tried to melt it in a trash can. Regardless of race creed or religion. They are idiots! Highly doubt it was race motivated. Although either side can likely find a ulterior motive once the person are caught. I won't pontificate on where the dividing line will be based on perps ethnic demographic

Old 02-05-2024, 09:14 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Occam’s razor? Probably can’t rule out good ole vandalism for the sake of good ole vandalism.

Last edited by kcohen; 02-05-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:22 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Agreed. Generalizing and finger pointing have polarized the country. Whereas a small percentage, the outliers, seem to garner the most attention and people are "lumped" Into groups

The idiots tried to melt it in a trash can. Regardless of race creed or religion. They are idiots! Highly doubt it was race motivated. Although either side can likely find a ulterior motive once the person are caught. I won't pontificate on where the dividing line will be based on perps ethnic demographic
You just did.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:27 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
You just did.
Finger in your holster already?

Username checks out

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2024, 09:38 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Finger in your holster already?

Username checks out

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Nah, you've got it covered with your double-barrel action.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:42 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Nah, you've got it covered with your double-barrel action.

One for each side of the aisle!

Old 02-05-2024, 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
No one is invoking Rodney King, so I’m not even sure where you got that from and I’m certainly not deflecting. My point is the same. There are groups here in Richmond that seem to want to remember the Civil War and still try to fight it. I see it every day. There’s also groups who want to riot and tear down statues instead of doing things the proper way. Those are the groups at odds with each other, and the rest of us are just caught in the middle.
There are pro-Hamas/Hezbollah/Houthi riots all over cities in America right now. There are Michigan religious leaders praising the Oct 7 terror attacks in Israel. Bridges, train stations and airports in NYC have been shut down by protesters calling for the genocide of Jews and the destruction of Israel and America. I'm fully armed walking to my office now, as there have been violent protests right in front of my building. If any of the protesters believed I was Jewish I'd be attacked in a second.

You'll excuse me if I find this more concerning than a fucking statue that was stolen, the political motive behind it still unknown. I can promise you that the people calling for my head outside my office last week were not Republicans. The country is divided, is my point, and the Jackie Robinson statue being stolen is not the best example of it.

Last edited by calvindog; 02-05-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I won't pontificate on where the dividing line will be based on perps ethnic demographic.
If the people who absconded with the Jackie Robinson statue are bronze/brass/copper/aluminum scrapping meth addicts as I suspect then they are more than likely white.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:01 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
There are pro-Hamas/Hezbollah/Houthi riots all over cities in America right now. There are Michigan religious leaders praising the Oct 7 terror attacks in Israel. Bridges, train stations and airports in NYC have been shut down by protesters calling for the genocide of Jews and the destruction of Israel and America. I'm fully armed walking to my office now, as there have been violent protests right in front of my building. If any of the protesters believed I was Jewish I'd be attacked in a second.

You'll excuse me if I find this more concerning than a fucking statue that was stolen, the political motive behind it still unknown. I can promise you that the people calling for my head outside my office last week were not Republicans. The country is divided, is my point, and the Jackie Robinson statue being stolen is not the best example of it.
Well, this thread has officially gone off the rails.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-05-2024, 11:41 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Well, this thread has officially gone off the rails.
I certainly didn't have "I'm more persecuted than blacks are right now" on my stolen Jackie Robinson statue bingo card, but here we are.

For what it's worth, I have enough bandwidth to simultaneously condemn anti-semitic terrorism and acknowledge that racism against blacks is still a significant problem. Getting a raw deal isn't a zero-sum game.

If the Hank Greenberg statue outside Comerica is cut off at the feet and left in a burn barrel, I promise not to shout down any speculation that it could be something more than meth addicts looking for scrap. And if it turns out it really is just meth addicts looking for scrap, then I won't think any less of those who initially feared that it was motivated by animus.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:54 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I certainly didn't have "I'm more persecuted than blacks are right now" on my stolen Jackie Robinson statue bingo card, but here we are.

For what it's worth, I have enough bandwidth to simultaneously condemn anti-semitic terrorism and acknowledge that racism against blacks is still a significant problem. Getting a raw deal isn't a zero-sum game.

If the Hank Greenberg statue outside Comerica is cut off at the feet and left in a burn barrel, I promise not to shout down any speculation that it could be something more than meth addicts looking for scrap. And if it turns out it really is just meth addicts looking for scrap, then I won't think any less of those who initially feared that it was motivated by animus.
Very well said and I completely agree.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-05-2024, 11:59 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Biggest issue this country faces is getting people with antiquated values out of the way and gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Well said!

This thread went off the rails when a series of politically expedient assumptions without a single shred of available evidence to support them were immediately made, and then quickly pivoted into openly arguing that people who don't share their leftist views should be made to be "out of the way and gone." I wonder how the elimination of dissenters would be accomplished? How does a political faction get "out of the way and gone" with huge swaths of the citizen population?

I am much more concerned by the growing open hope of the eradication of everyone else by the 'tolerant' than I am 3 dudes stealing a statue for unknown reason at this point in time.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This thread went off the rails when a series of politically expedient assumptions without a single shred of available evidence to support them were immediately made, and then quickly pivoted into openly arguing that people who don't share their leftist views should be made to be "out of the way and gone." I wonder how the elimination of dissenters would be accomplished? How does a political faction get "out of the way and gone" with huge swaths of the citizen population?

I am much more concerned by the growing open hope of the eradication of everyone else by the 'tolerant' than I am 3 dudes stealing a statue for unknown reason at this point in time.
Very well said and I completely agree.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post

Quote:

Refreshing to read.

Gives me hope that more are awake than what it appears sometimes.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:58 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I knew right away where this thread was going when I saw the original post lmao this is why I stopped going on this board

Anyways here’s my favorite Jackie Robinson card that I own! Shoutout to the MLB for stepping up to replace the statue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 02-06-2024, 11:58 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

It certainly doesn't help national unity by the House's position on the bipartisan Senate Immigration Bill, one of the best pieces of legislation to come out of Congress in some time.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:28 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
It certainly doesn't help national unity by the House's position on the bipartisan Senate Immigration Bill, one of the best pieces of legislation to come out of Congress in some time.
Some want to reduce illegal immigration. Some want to expedite it by processing it faster.

What some people never seem to figure out is the concept of unintended consequences. Or, what message is being sent, and therefore what happens next.

Giving prepaid debit cards away free to people whom have crossed our borders illegally, and setting up and advertising such things as "sanctuary cities," create magnets for much much more of the same. These things do not solve a problem. They put a band-aid on the immediate crisis, but ensure the underlying problem will become much more severe.

You can look at a map of the world, and you see little lines around all the countries. These are called borders. Some wonder why we can't have these things called borders, without them being systematically erased due to bad policy.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:53 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Why do your job when you can get paid to do nothing and blame your inaction on someone else?
Old 02-06-2024, 02:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Leon, can you lock down this dumpster fire of a thread before it gets any sillier?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-06-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:28 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

It's not a party until someone asks for the thread to be shut down.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I was hoping that before it gets locked they could clarify what exactly getting all of the population who disagree with them "out of the way and gone" means. Surely advocating massive scale violence breaks a rule
Old 02-06-2024, 02:56 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
I was hoping that before it gets locked they could clarify what exactly getting all of the population who disagree with them "out of the way and gone" means. Surely advocating massive scale violence breaks a rule
Those who preach tolerance ...

jeff
Closed Thread