NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Default I bought the Ebay scrapbook

Hello all,
I was definitely on the fence about the book in the days leading up to the close and enjoyed reading the different posts on here. I was able to talk at great length with the seller on the phone several days before expiration. I felt that he was legitimate. He said that he was selling the book for an older gentleman that he knew, allthough not well. He ran in to this guy at the post office one day and the older gentleman mentioned to the seller that he had this scrapbook among other things that he was considering selling. The seller said that he would be happy to list the man's items on Ebay if he would like.
While talking to the seller, he said that if I would happen to be the winning bidder that he would give me ample time to examine the book in case I decided to return it. He mentioned a 5 day return policy in the listing but I explained to him that I would more than likely be out of town at the time of delivery and might need some extra time. I also asked the seller if I could get in touch with the owner if I would end up being the high bidder. I didn't feel that it was that important to talk to the owner prior to winning with the examination period in tact and the Paypal guarantee etc.
After winning the book I quickly Googled the seller and learned that he was a successful bussinessman and not a deadbeat scammer like we all feared. The seller called me that evening to go over details. He was a really nice guy and we talked so long I missed 2 innings of my sons baseball game. I was standing right at the field but didn't see a thing. I guess I can't watch and talk at the same time. The seller gave me the phone number of the owner and said that he gave him a heads up that I would like to talk to him. The seller said that the owner had a lot of info. about the book that the seller didn't even know and the older gentleman was looking forward to my call.
The next day I called the older gentleman and we talked at great length. He is about 82 or 83 years old and a really nice guy. I bet he went on for an hour or so. I pretty much learned his life history. He said that the book was purchased in the early 80's at a storage auction in Virginia (have you seen storage wars?). He said that all they could do was peek inside prior to bidding on the unit. He said that he spotted a Xerox machine in the back and figured he would bid on the lot. Well he won the lot for $150 and was obviously surprised when it came time to clean it out. The unpaid storage unit contained the property of the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association. In addition to the scrapbook the unit was full of office furniture, signed baseballs, uncashed checks etc..
As far as my purchase of the book. I realize with the premium that I had to pay that it's anything but a homerun. I'm 44 years old and my oldest son is only 14 but I can envision the day when the grandkids come in to the office to look at pop's old baseball card book. I'm having fun just thinking about it.
It was reassuring to see some nice cards in the book that weren't shown in the listing though, including an E90-1 Joe Jackson.
I'll post a scan when my 14 year old is around to show me how.
I realize that the cards are pretty well beat allthough a few are quite nice. 10 grand!! oh well easy come easy go...........Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...............Mike
Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

great find. wish i could have bid more!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
John Hanssen

Thanks for sharing the story.

Look forward to seeing more.

Im sure this will be talked about for some time.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Danny Smith

Congrats man. Good buy and great heirloom for the kids.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM
David M.

The thing we all still wonder is are the cards real? I thought it seemed too large to be a fake, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be some reprints mixed in. It sounds like you plan to keep it together, or are you going to let someone try to remove the cards to see what you have? Just wondering.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell webb View Post
I'm 44 years old and my oldest son is only 14 but I can envision the day when the grandkids come in to the office to look at pop's old baseball card book.
So, the book is staying intact?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Dan Bretta

Good deal..I was wrong. Looking at the seller's other items I started to wonder how he obtained all those MLBPA items. I still don't think those MVP awards were real though.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Towards the end of the book there are many pages of mostly sports related clippings from '32 and '33. The cards are at the beginning of the book so I would assume that the cards were glued in either before the clippings or at the same time. There are about 50 or so cards, the ones that looked weird in the listing, that were hand made by some kid. I would be very surprised if everything else wasn't authentic.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Todd C

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you were able to talk to the owner and get some details.

still a great pickup in my opinion. Enjoy the bonus Joe Jackson card !!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Mazel Tov Mike !!! Come to the Net54 dinner at the National in Chicago in early August & show us this wonderful item !!!

Alan
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Scott Levy

Nice pickup Mike,

The Joe Jax card alone could be worth your purchase price. Let us know how it all turns out ... and congrats.

Best,
Scott
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Not a single red flag about the auction or book IMO.

Besides the obviously homemade cards mixed in, all cards I saw in the scrapbook were 100% authentic. Yet I didnt see a single card that didnt meet the scissors.

interesting the BEST card in the lot was not pictured.... E90-1 Jackson, was it just trimmed like some of the better cards or did it get its caption chopped off?

Post pics when you can would love to see more.

sets I remember seeing in the album...
T212-1
T212-2
T212-3
T206
T205
T217
D311
M116
M101-4/5
E136
E137
E90-2
E90-1

Last edited by fkw; 05-17-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately the young scrapbooker cut off the name. Since the cards were trimmed in different ways I assume that the kid acquirred several different collections at the time and assembled them in the album.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 PM
N.ate A.dams

This is definitely going to be talked about for a long time.

This is awesome.

Thank you for the info Dell!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Clayton

Thanks Mike-

I'm sure we were all wondering who ended up with this, and was nice of you to bring the story to all of us. I was skeptical of this book, but I think I'm that way in nature anyways- but the bottom line is,- if you are happy with your purchase that's all that really matters.

Thanks again for posting about this !!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think you should still post a picture of the Joe Jax card. Frank's one of the best in determining the likelihood of genuine vs fake. However, two of the easiest ways to see if the Jackson card is real or not are gone with this card. These are:

(1) Fakes / reprints have a "20" on the back, which is often scuffed off in scams. Since this card is glued in a notebook, you can't see this.

(2) The "k" in the name Joe Jackson should be right below the bat. Since the name is trimmed off, you can't verify this either.

There is still a very good chance the card is genuine. And since there are other things to look for, some very knowledgeable board members here can probably tell you if the card is real by looking at it.

Here's another thread on determining whether E90-1 Jackson is real or not: Linky
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Dave

This is why I love Net54. It's fun watching these stories come full circle as it happens.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Congrats on your winnings, I was a true non believer. The story that you've relayed and the people involved all seem credible and innocent and I find the whole story very believable.

Having said that, it's still a story and if I were in your shoes I'd want some concrete verification. If I had won that auction, the first thing I would've done after receiving the book would be to take a page out and ship it to Dick so he could remove and send a card or two to a grading company. That way you'll know for sure. An easy, painless process that wouldn't devalue a find such as that, IMO. Scan first so you can reconstruct if necessary.

Just my opinion.

Best of luck on what ever you decide to do
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Dan McCarthy

Congrats on the pickup. I don't know if I could stomach $10k on chopped up cards, no matter who they were. Did you collect before (I imagine you did?)?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Robert A

I was hoping that all the net 54 naysayers (and the strange "cards" mixed in) would bring the value of the book down so that I could win it, but that obviously didn't happen.

The book went way beyond what I thought was retail for the group of cards. The Jackson brings it up a bit, but still a very healthy price for the seller.

Congrats on the book!

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 05-17-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM

I finished 3rd, great book and you should do well.

Do you collect or are you strictly a flipper like 99% of today's newbes?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I finished 3rd, great book and you should do well.

Do you collect or are you strictly a flipper like 99% of today's newbes?
I'll do the hoarding I mean collecting and the grandkids can do the flipping some day
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I hope the book lives up to the investment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM
David Str@@te

It is really great that you came on and shared the story. I kept the book up on my "Watch List" well after the sale was completed just to see if the feedback would be positive. Its deals like this that make the hobby so intriguing.