NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-12-2022, 01:17 PM
Scott

Default Best way for detached program cover

Best? Clear tape, staples? Good program but not $$$ for paper restorer. Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2022, 01:26 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Best? Clear tape, staples? Good program but not $$$ for paper restorer. Thanks!!
Un-staple, lay cover flat, clear tape on the inside at the staple (archival if you're feeling froggy), restaple (either carefully with the old ones or use new ones)
Old 01-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Whether it is valuable or not, it may have good value someday. Why destroy it using consumer tape when true archival tape is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.universityproducts.com/d...pair-tape.html

I purchased a 1" x 98' roll over 20 years ago and I still have it. You can get the smallest roll which is still 12 feet for $6.70 and with shipping it would probably be less than $15. If you use it on several items you've made your investment back.

This is essentially tissue paper with adhesive on one side. The challenging part is separating it from the backing paper. I use several methods, but it is a pain then you cut a small strip, separate it from the backing and it curls and sticks to itself. You then have to cut another strip.

One thing to consider when repairing something like this is to do it on the INSIDE of the cover, not the outside. After you put it in place you need to burnish it so that it fully flattens against the paper. This will also help push the separated edges together. I have a small plastic burnishing tool. It looks a bit like a tongue depressor with square ends and and partly rounded faces so it can be pushed along the tape and smooth it down. It is also great for taking wrinkles out of paper. If you don't want to purchase one of those a tablespoon works well.

If you are repairing a tear you need to cut a piece that is longer than the tear. This will prevent further tearing and reinforces the paper. If it is the full spine of the program you make it longer. After burnishing it you flip it over and use a razor blade to cut of the excess. You can protect the program from being damaged by putting a ruler or straight edge along the edge of the program while cutting.

This was just part of the discussion on the Babe Ruth signature in the autograph section. People cavalierly offer suggestions without considering the damage that can be caused.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-18-2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:20 AM
Rob

^^^^^ That a great rundown, Michael!
Old 01-13-2022, 07:39 AM
Guy Bourque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Whether it is valuable or not, it may have good value someday. Why destroy it using consumer tape when true archival tape is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.universityproducts.com/d...pair-tape.html

I purchased a 1" x 98' roll over 20 years ago and I still have it. You can get the smallest roll which is still 12 feet for $6.70 and with shipping it would probably be less than $15. If you use it on several items you've made you investment back.

This is essentially tissue paper with adhesive on one side. The challenging part is separating it from the backing paper. I use several methods, but it is a pain then you cut a small strip, separate it from the backing and it curls and sticks to itself. You then have to cut another strip.

One thing to consider when repairing something like this is to do it on the INSIDE of the cover, not the outside. After you put it in place you need to burnish it so that it fully flattens against the paper. This will also help push the separated edges together. I have a small plastic burnishing took. It looks a bit like a tongue depressor with square ends and and partly rounded faces so it can be pushed along the tape and smooth it down. It is also great for taking wrinkles out of paper. If you don't want to purchase one of those a tablespoon works well.

If you are repairing a tear you need to cut a piece that is longer than the tear. This will prevent further tearing and reinforces the paper. If it is the full spine of the program you make it longer. After burnishing it you flip it over and use a razor blade to cut of the excess. You can protect the program from being damaged by putting a ruler or straight edge along the edge of the program while cutting.

This was just part of the discussion on the Babe Ruth signature in the autograph section. People cavalierly offer suggestions without considering the damage that can be caused.
Would this method be good for detached tickets
Old 01-13-2022, 08:36 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
^^^^^ That a great rundown, Michael!
+1 agreed

Great details

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-13-2022, 05:39 PM

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to use "clear tape" on any historical artifact.
You are the caretaker of these items. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:18 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, this will work with tickets. It is important to understand how paper tears. When it is torn it is not a perfect line like with a razor. It is ragged and depending on the type of paper there can be a lot of fibers showing. It is very similar to a bevel cut like you have with a photo mat except that it is not that sharp. Trying to fit two torn pieces back together is similar to a zipper. There will be small parts on the left that go on top of the right and small parts on the right that go on top of the left. They can be right next to each other and hard to align. It is challenging whether the item is partially torn or fully torn Sometimes you want it perfect. Other times you just want to reinforce it. Patience helps.

Here are the two items I referred to originally:

Document repair tape

repair-tape-1.jpg

Burnishing tool. This is 5" long 1" wide at one end 3/4" wide at the other. The areas marked in blue are curved up which allows you to push it along the tape.

burnishing-1.jpg

Here is a ticket I repaired. It did not need to be perfect. You can still see the tear. This also had a bend at the tear so it does not lay flat. That can be an easy fix. A lightly damp paper towel around the ticket which is placed between two pieces of cardstock. Not box carboard, but like the back of a pad of paper. Then put it in a book press or between some heavy books. I have a nice cast iron book press. Think of the one used by Uncle Fester in 'The Addams Family'. On the back I put the tape all the way up to the word 'viale'. I also put an extra piece along the bottom I scanned it so you could see it. Much harder to detect in person. This is a ticket to the gold medal game.

robertson-1.jpg
robertson-back-1.jpg

Many types of tickets can be repaired though the ones like this are easiest if they are torn along the perforation

60-ticket-1.jpg

You can put together at the perfs and tape on the back. You then use a straight pin or needle to open up the holes. I did this on a Cassius Clay 1960 gold medal boxing ticket. A fellow Olympic dealer had one very cheap that was separated at the perfs. A friend pointed out what it was. I used repair tape on the back and it looked as good as new. I did disclose the repair when I sold it at The National. The ticket shown is for the marathon - Abebe Bikila wins it running barefoot.

It can also be used to reinforce severe folds or bends. I have not done it yet, but I will be doing it to this ticket:

Japan ticket.jpg

I could try to reconnect this ticket, but it is too worn so I may leave it as is.

japan-2-a.jpg

These tickets are from a 1934? track meet in Japan. They belonged to a 1932 Olympic athlete. I got a small group of items of his from the Olympics including his personal autograph album which was signed by not only some rare Olympians (3 or 4 killed in WWII) but also Cecil B DeMille, Jimmy Durante, Will Rogers, Frederic March and Cary Grant.

Some helpful items to have if you are trying to conserve/preserve you paper documents and photos:

Document repair tape

Burnishing tool

Document cleaning pads - This is a small cloth bag with a grit free powder in it. It helps clean mold or dirt off of paper.

stamp tongs - used by stamp collectors they have a rounded end

precision needle point tweezers - like Clauss #3c. Great for helping to unbend small corners that have folded over. Also good when trying to repair a tear. They are also great when you are tryin to remove old glue and paper from the back of an items, especially when using distilled water and cotton swabs

PEC-12 - the best product for cleaning photographs and negatives.

Distilled water - for soaking and cleaning. No chemicals or minerals which can react with the inks.

Isopropyl alcohol - good for cleaning crayon marks on photos. Works somewhat on the gray/black masking. Since it is not water and dissipates it does not cause the damage water will. It is easy to find 70% in Target/CVS and other places. I got my hands on 90% in half gallon jugs.

Cotton swabs - great for use with distilled water to remove old horse glue or when using isopropyl alcohol or PEC-12.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-18-2022 at 02:39 AM.