NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-02-2022, 07:38 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Fenway Fans

I have seen that Red Seat out in the bleachers of Fenway Park, but did not know its significance.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/june...fenway-park-2/

Until I stumbled upon something.

I acquired a Ticket Stub and a Program for the game. I'm holding onto the Program....for now.

I've put the Ticket up on Ebay in case anyone is interested, a great story behind it and only 1 has been graded by PSA, so a pretty rare/unique find:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185240633490

Ted Williams blasts longest home run in Fenway Park - June 9, 1946

A singular honor fell to Joseph A. Boucher, a construction engineer from Albany, at yesterday’s Red Sox-Tigers double-header. The longest home run ever hit by Ted Williams in Boston bounced squarely off his head in the first inning of the second game.

He had never sat in the Fenway Park bleachers before. There were 7,897 fans besides himself perched on the sun-drenched wind-whipped concrete slope. Indeed was the elderly Mr. Boucher honored when crowned by a five-ounce baseball that the game’s greatest hitter had socked some 450 feet.

“How far away must one sit to be safe in this park?” asked Ted’s target for the day, feeling his pate tenderly.

He was sitting in the 33rd row of the bleachers, next to the aisle dividing the first and second sections behind the home bullpen. This was a little more than half way up the slope, and surely out of range of anything less than light artillery, he thought.

“I didn’t even get the ball,” said Mr. Boucher. “They say it bounced a dozen rows higher, but after it hit my head I was no longer interested.”

Asked why he did not defend himself by at least putting up his hands, the engineer replied, “I couldn’t see the ball. Nobody could. The sun was right in our eyes. All we could do was duck. I’m glad I didn’t stand up.”

The ball players were not the only ones who had trouble with the wind and sun. The next time the engineer from Albany sits in the bleachers he probably will move to the top row, don sunglasses, and take a glove out of his back pocket as Williams comes to bat.

He was not seriously hurt, because he was wearing a straw hat, in the crown of which was a soft label that acted as a cushion. The ball struck the very center of the crown -- a perfect bullseye. It made a tidy little hole that speaks well for the quality of the headspiece. One of my straw hats, for instance, would have broken up like a mat of shredded wheat struck by a hammer.

Mr. Boucher went to the first-aid room, but after being treated by Dr. Ralph McCarthy and two pretty nurses, he returned to his seat in row 33 and enjoyed the rest of the game.

“I am a great baseball fan and I am a Red Sox rooter. I’ve worked here since the start of the war,” said Mr. Boucher. “This is the first time I’ve sat in the bleachers. I couldn’t get into the grandstand.”

He has yet to recover a ball hit into the stands, although a fan all his life. Needless to say, he has never come any closer than he did yesterday.

Homer record for Ted

“What would I have done with it, anyhow?” he asked. “Well, maybe I could have sent it home to my grandson. I have a ball someplace that was autographed by the old Dodgers, fellows like Jake Daubert and Chief Meyers. I thought maybe I’d give it to the Cooperstown Museum.”

He would do better, it was suggested, if he gave his straw hat to the museum. It is quite possible that Williams will never hit a longer home run in Boston. Then the hat would make an impressive showing in a glass case, suitably inscribed:

“Hat worn by J.A. Boucher of Albany, June 9, 1946, when Ted Williams of Red Sox bounced his longest Boston home run off owner’s head. Note aperture.”

Williams has hit some tremendous homers at Fenway Park. One off Scarborough last week cleared the 420-foot mark in center field. In his first season he hit the one exit-high into the rightfield bleachers off Red Ruffing. But yesterday’s drive, borne on a high wind, was his record. Nobody present will forget it, least of all Joseph A. Boucher, who didn’t see it but certainly felt it.

Editor’s note: At the time, accounts pegged Williams’ home run at 450 feet. The Red Sox later measured the distance to the red seat and determined it was 502 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946seat11.jpg (80.2 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg redseat2.jpg (10.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg Red Seat.jpg (20.8 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 01-02-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:13 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Yes, knew about that over 40 years ago. It was mentioned when they replaced those seats in the bleachers. If I recall they painted it red when they were wooden and when they went to plastic they kept the color.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-03-2022, 10:58 AM
Rick
Mike Mc.Gr@il

Omg, thank you for such a great story! I’m a Red Sox guy down here in Braves country. They’re my 2 favorite teams. I remember becoming a fan of the Red Sox by watching the 1975 World Series with my father, a fan of Boston and from Boston too. I was 13 at the time and remember after each game my dad would get on the phone with my uncle, another Sox fan and discuss the games. It was great times and brings back wonderful memories!
Your story is really interesting to me and I can’t wait to tell my dad about it! Thanks so much for sharing!
Rick Gardner
Old 01-03-2022, 01:37 PM

I fulfilled a lifelong dream of watching a game at Fenway back in 2019. Now I realize I wasn't far from that red seat. Never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:14 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I'm sure everyone in Boston already knew, but most of us outside did not, so yah pretty neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (20.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (19.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (19.1 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (21.5 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (19.6 KB, 248 views)
Old 01-04-2022, 06:45 PM
Jeff Carlson

"I’m glad I didn’t stand up.”

So was Mrs. Boucher, I would imagine.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:54 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Actually I vaguely remember that story but it is always good to be reminded of it and to read the account is pretty awesome

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-09-2022, 08:31 PM
Scott S

Wow, congrats on the $5K+ ending price on the ticket stub! I am a vintage Red Sox memorabilia collector so I had my eye on the ticket, hoping I would be able to pick it up. I had no idea what sort of price it was going to bring!

The red seat is a famous story in Fenway lore, but wasn't memorable at the time in the way a World Series game might be, so it makes sense that there aren't many ticket stubs that were kept from the day. It'll be interesting to see if any others surface now, on the heels of this sale.

Congrats again!