NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Scott Russell

Default Thought I'd share this from the world of auctioneering

Mike Brandly is one of the most respected auction writers (and auctioneers) in the country and many of us who are actually auctioneers (as opposed to a company that happens to hold auctions) read his page as it covers a ton of issues from ethics to legal to just good business practices.

The article linked is about shill bidding.

https://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpr...shill-bidding/

The real meat is in the PDF he linked in his blog.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-11-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:21 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default as long as we are talking auctions - from my archives......

Thus, we note here the 15 most misunderstood things about the UCC 2-328.
1.“The UCC 2-328 is federal law.”

No it’s not. The UCC 2-328 is state law in 49 of the 50 states in the United States, and used in court decisions in all 50 states.
2.“We don’t have the UCC 2-328 in our state.”

Yes, you do (unless you live in Louisiana, and have it only by analogy.) The UCC 2-328 is not part of license law, so it doesn’t matter if your state licenses auctioneers or not.
3.“The UCC 2-328 doesn’t apply to real estate auctions.”

Yes, it does. Despite the UCC 2-328 being written only for “goods,” the courts nearly always apply these same rules to real estate auction cases.
4.“The UCC 2-328 doesn’t apply to online auctions.”

Yes, it does. Although few such cases have made it to court, without exception those courts have ruled the UCC 2-328 applies the same to online auctions as live auctions.
5.“There are more than 2 types of auctions.”

No, there aren’t. There are only 2 types: with reserve and without reserve. The UCC 2-328 clearly says any auction is one type or the other.
6.“An absolute auction is not the same as a without reserve auction.”

Yes, it is. The courts have ruled universally that an absolute auction is analogous to a without reserve auction. despite the UCC 2-328 using only the term without reserve.
7.“I can always change the type of auction after I declare the auction open.”

No, you can’t. A without reserve auction cannot be changed to a with reserve auction; a with reserve auction could be changed to a without reserve auction, but it is ill-advised.
8.“There are ‘tie bids,’ and I can reopen the bidding.”

No, there aren’t. There is no such thing as a tie bid. The UCC 2-328 says you may only reopen the bidding if a bid comes in “while the hammer is falling,” but are not obligated to do so.
9.“Our bidders are prohibited from retracting their bids.”

No, they aren’t. Your bidders can indeed retract their bids so long as they do so before the “fall of the hammer.” Your terms cannot override the UCC 2-328.
10.“We can have terms that our auction is not subject to the UCC 2-328.”

“No, you can’t. Terms and conditions for buyers cannot override the UCC 2-328.
11.“If a bidder retracts his bid, the previous bidder is back in.”

No, he isn’t. Once a bidder is deemed the high bidder, all previous bids are void. The UCC 2-328 strictly says there is no authority to unilaterally place a prior bidder back in as the high bidder.
12.“After, ‘Sold!’ I can qualify to say ‘subject to seller approval,’ or the like.”

No, you can’t. Once an auctioneer announces the word, “Sold!” or indicates the same in some other customary manner, nothing else uttered thereafter changes the status of the property from “Sold!”
13.“The seller can’t bid.”

Yes, he can. The seller can bid if the auction is a with reserve auction with disclosure, and can bid regardless of the type of auction if the auction is a forced sale. If the seller bids otherwise, the UCC 2-328 dictates remedies for the high bidder.
14.“I can always withdraw property so long as I don’t say, ‘Sold!'”

No, you can’t. In a without reserve auction, if a bid is received within a reasonable time, the property may not be withdrawn; only in a with reserve auction, the property can be withdrawn up until the “fall of the hammer.”
15.“Bidders must always conform to certain bidding increments.”

No, they don’t. In a without reserve auction, minimum bidding increments are illegal. In a with reserve auction, certain minimum bidding increments are permitted.

Are there merely 15 misunderstandings? Not hardly; these just appear to be the most common.

As I have told classes for over a decade that there is no other more important four paragraphs of auction law than the UCC 2-328, and the courts in the United States place the burden of knowledge upon all auctioneers.

Mike Brandly, Auctioneer, CAI, AARE has been an auctioneer and certified appraiser for over 30 years. His company’s auctions are located at: Mike Brandly, Auctioneer, Keller Williams Auctions and Goodwill Columbus Car Auction. His Facebook page is: www.facebook.com/mbauctioneer. He serves as Adjunct Faculty at Columbus State Community College and is Executive Director of The Ohio Auction School.

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 01-11-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:55 PM
Scott Russell

I've discussed a number of those with board members, they're definitely the biggies.

Another major point is that a buyer can't sign away his UCC protections. So no matter what your policies are, and whether or not your bidders have agreed to them they can't supersede the UCC. For instance you have to allow bid retractions. You DON'T have to allow someone who has retracted bids to bid in future auctions.

I'm going to seem to contradict myself here so stay with me. You DON'T have to allow sellers to bid. The UCC doesn't protect their ability to do so, it protects the auctions ability to allow them to do so. We don't allow owners to bid.

Licensed auctioneers, in many cases, put in a lot of time and work to get there and they should know these codes backwards and forwards. Some ebay seller or some crazy fly by night online company probably doesn't know, or care about the protections afforded buyers, consignors, and their own business nor the limitations.

You're an auctioneer Henry?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default nope

It's just that through the years I've followed and explored just about EVERY aspect of the hobby from as many angles as I could. I think it's been worth the effort as I enjoy being able to make sense of the hobby on a more cerebral level. Such reflections allow me to partially interdict my genetic predisposition to accumulate. Despite all this I have TOO MUCH STUFF!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 PM
Scott Russell

Well if you ever need to downsize I know an honest auctioneer