NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Adam

Default Anyone hesitant to buy now?

Just curious what people on the site have been thinking with the recent significant rise in prices for most cards. Given that this appears to involve many cards across the collecting spectrum, seems less likely to relate to any “buyers group.” This, at least in part, seems to be related to people staying home related to COVID-19 and looking for something to do (just my guess). Of course no one can predict the future, but just wondering if any people are holding off on buying right now, to wait and see if things return to some degree of “normalcy” after the COVID situation has become more manageable (vaccine, better therapies, etc.).

Obviously, not all of us are waiting on the sidelines, as someone is causing this spike in prices!

Thanks everyone, and my apologies if this was discussed in another post recently.

Adam
Old 08-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
Just curious what people on the site have been thinking with the recent significant rise in prices for most cards. Given that this appears to involve many cards across the collecting spectrum, seems less likely to relate to any “buyers group.” This, at least in part, seems to be related to people staying home related to COVID-19 and looking for something to do (just my guess). Of course no one can predict the future, but just wondering if any people are holding off on buying right now, to wait and see if things return to some degree of “normalcy” after the COVID situation has become more manageable (vaccine, better therapies, etc.).

Obviously, not all of us are waiting on the sidelines, as someone is causing this spike in prices!

Thanks everyone, and my apologies if this was discussed in another post recently.

Adam

Hey Adam
I think you answered your own question ie...the spike in prices.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 AM
Adam

Yes Leon. I guess I’m more wondering if there are any folks out there who are actually sitting on the sidelines right now and expecting prices to retreat a little bit. It’s just a bit nutty how much prices have spiked, even in the past few months. I’m certainly hesitant to purchase right now...though I did purchase a couple of things

Last edited by Jetsfan; 08-16-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:00 AM
James M.

Quote:

Adam
I'm not so much "holding off on buying" as I'm "searching for a good deal." Granted the purchases I'm making are nowhere near the level some of the guys on this forum make, but I'm defintely taking my fair share of time hunting for the right cards at the right prices.

I have a hunch things will start going down a little bit more once people are back to a little bit of normalcy in their lives every day. Once shows start up again on a consistent basis, and people are no longer exclusively depending on the internet for buying cards. I feel this more towards the vintage market than anything.

I cannot predict the modern market for the life of me. I don't understand it, it's like people throwing money at Penny Stocks IMO. I understand Tatis Jr. is off to an amazing start and Jasson Dominguez might be the next big thing. However the prices for their cards are flat out ridiculous as we have no idea what the rest of their careers will look like. Especially the Latter. The day I drop $1500 on a card of an unproven 17 year old is the day I also buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:05 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ht=coronavirus

If you want to read some really interesting threads on blowout about this, the Project 2020 thread on the baseball board and the "cook groups" thread about youtube and discord pumpers will give you a good idea.

There are a lot of cards setting records and not getting paid for, which continually pushes the market higher because now there's a high "sale" recorded. Read some threads about how $2 (last year) Lebron James cards from Panini Prizm are now selling for a thousand a piece. The scope and scale of the bubble is like the Dutch tulip market 500 years ago...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Adam

Hi John,

I am almost exclusively a vintage card buyer. Only real exceptions were Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel rookie cards (I’m a Sabres fan...ugh).

I actually was interested in buying a Jasson Dominguez rookie card. But there are so many variations, it’s almost impossible to know which is the base version. I didn’t have this trouble in 1985 with Dwight Gooden.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:28 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The scope and scale of the bubble is like the Dutch tulip market 500 years ago...
I was just talking about that yesterday. It really is crazy, like that Lebron reference post above. 100-1000% jumps in weeks if not days. I’m a new member here.. first post!!... but I also believe there’s an economic downturn coming that will definitely drag the industry with it. I saw a post on Facebook where the guy needed to sell because he was behind on car payments. How many other younger generation are jamming into this, spending thousands, without even a savings account??
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I’m a baseball card collector - not investor. I don’t really worry about whether my purchases appreciate or depreciate. The reason is I never sell, other than when I upgrade a card, and will die with my cards. I’ll let my heirs deal with the profit/loss aspect.

I focus on collector grades and great looking cards just below it. The current spike has moved me to the sidelines. I’m having a very difficult time finding reasonable deals. Although I don’t worry about the investing repercussions, I do want to stretch my dollars so that I can increase my purchase quantities.

Although I hate not buying, I’m still earmarking cash for future purchases. I’ll sit back and continue letting my war chest grow. Hopefully, the market will return to a reasonable level, and I can return to knocking off cards on my want list.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Good question. My answer may not make sense, but yes I think there will be a price retreat (I.e. bubble burst), and yes I continue to buy. I am a collector, and if I see something I want or need, I buy it if the price is right. I have overpaid on a few things, for certain, but I am buying to hold and I don’t want to pass up the opportunity to obtain cards that I have targeted for a while when they appear.

I know there is an investment aspect, but it’s not my problem—I plan to die with most of these cards in my possession, so their value won’t matter. My kids will be happy with whatever they get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2020, 09:41 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I actually was interested in buying a Jasson Dominguez rookie card.
He doesn't have a rookie card yet, since he hasn't played in the majors. Here are all the cards of his that have been uploaded to COMC so far:
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=jasson+dominguez,ot

Most would recommend you purchase the 1st Bowman Chrome BCP-8 as the "prospect" card to own of his, even though it's a year after his Panini cards. Your other base option is the BP-8 "paper" version, at 1/3rd of the price. If you wait a few months for 2020 Goodwin Champions to show up on Upper Deck epack, there will be a flood of 2020 Upper Deck Jasson cards on the market.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
The scope and scale of the bubble is like the Dutch tulip market 500 years ago...
Except the Dutch Tulip Craze, more or less didn't happen in anything remotely resembling the way we hear about it today. The card thing is real!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Adam

John,

Thanks for the Dominguez explanation. At least I know know what to look for!
Old 08-16-2020, 10:03 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I’m a baseball card collector - not investor. I don’t really worry about whether my purchases appreciate or depreciate. The reason is I never sell, other than when I upgrade a card, and will die with my cards. I’ll let my heirs deal with the profit/loss aspect.

I focus on collector grades and great looking cards just below it. The current spike has moved me to the sidelines. I’m having a very difficult time finding reasonable deals. Although I don’t worry about the investing repercussions, I do want to stretch my dollars so that I can increase my purchase quantities.

Although I hate not buying, I’m still earmarking cash for future purchases. I’ll sit back and continue letting my war chest grow. Hopefully, the market will return to a reasonable level, and I can return to knocking off cards on my want list.
Thanks for saving me the time with the great post. I'll buy anything I want but find my want lists are dwindling anyway. You would have to be a legal moron to pay these prices for new cards. If I'm buying, I'm buying vintage. Just like I did in the 1980's when all the 8 year old "Investors" and their parents got SMEARED! LOL....maybe you missed the part where history always repeats itself. Vintage will always be blue chip whether it goes up or down. New stuff will always be Tulip Bulbs. Make a note and write it down kiddies.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-16-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:04 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Except the Dutch Tulip Craze, more or less didn't happen in anything remotely resembling the way we hear about it today. The card thing is real!
Agreed, much different times. But one could argue that with social media, and the acceleration of growth because of it, we could experience the boom / bust on a whole new level. However, I think you are correct. There is a ton of room to grow if managed correctly. The card thing is real and there are a lot of exciting things happening. Yes, supply / demand will dictate the market. Investors are turning more to cards, like crypto currency (sites like starstock too). What I am afraid of the most, is that the bulk of people in this boom right now are not in the upper echelon of income levels. It won’t take much for an economic shift, and the bulk of your demand will start to dry up. I think that shift is coming. Again.. all just my opinion. I stick to vintage, I’m a collector, and I don’t care about the ups / downs these cards take. Although it does make it hard to spread the bank roll around when cards have jumped so much!
Old 08-16-2020, 10:16 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default buying

I don't even think about buying Trout, LeBron, etc. However, there are a lot of good deals to be had right now, with pre-war, 50's and 60's cards, vintage non-sports and with many other genres. In the past 3 months I have purchased more cards than I have ever purchased during a 3 month period. Many of these were cheap enough that I am able to flip them for a small profit on eBay, and some were for my personal collection. Just stay away from the Cobbs, Mantles, high grade slabs, and watch for the bargains in lower grades. It takes a lot of time and a lot of searching, but there is no reason to stop buying at this time.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:28 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Do i think a correction is likely? Yes. But that honestly wouldn't stop me from buying something i wanted for my collection. I’d much rather buy now and see the value drop than wait, see prices go even higher, and get permanently priced out of something I really wanted. I’ve seen it happen and its a really shitty feeling....way worse than an unrealized loss on something I’ll probably never sell anyways.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Economics 101

For the past several years, the Federal Reserve (and many of its international equivalents) has pursued a policy of increasing the availability of dollars by purchasing bonds and holding them on its balance sheet. The justification for the policy is that the enhanced liquidity will spur economic activity and job creation and there is little enough inflation that "real" economic activity will increase.

The fed's accommodative policy was holding its own (the economy was booming and inflation remained constrained) when the pandemic hit. In response to the economic collapse triggered by the pandemic, the Fed has felt compelled to "double down" on the purchase of financial assets, thereby injecting even more dollars into the financial system.

The rush of dollars provided by the Fed has pushed stocks and bonds to historical highs even as the economy has staggered, with several sectors facing existential challenges. Gold is rising and the dollar is falling, both classic advance indicators of impending inflation.

One view would be that purchasing collectables, particularly high-end items with active (liquid) markets, is a logical use of investable capital in expectation of higher (possibly much higher) rates of inflation in the near future combined with stagnant stock and bond markets.

Collectables are similar to gold -- a relatively fixed supply with a reliable hold on people's fascination. Selling stocks and bonds at historically high levels and purchasing collectables could be a prudent "hedge" strategy for a portion of a large investment portfolio.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Like most of you on here, I once thought that prices were on fire because everybody was sitting at home, and Gary V. followers were jumping all over certain cards, the Jordan documentary ... blah, blah, blah. However, one day I decided to do a little bit of research and I realized that something was terribly wrong. I saw lots of shill bidding going on, lots of bid retractions, and of course, I don't even know how many sales were actually real! Furthermore, if EVERYBODY is sitting at home and just bidding away, then shouldn't football and hockey cards be on fire too? Most baseball cards have not gone up either.

It is my opinion that 2016 is being repeated again. Certain cards are being targeted - mostly basketball - and when this is over, oh boy, a lot of people are going to get screwed.

Last edited by samosa4u; 08-16-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Well said GeoPoto. I very much agree

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 08-16-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Tom Re.bert

Many new short term buyers, young and old--when they hear a modern card offered and selling for 1,000,000 or 100-250,000 started a shark frenzy. Where did they these cards originate from--PACKS! Walmart as one example sports card shelves are bare. When restocked baseball, baseball and football packs may last an hour or two sometimes minutes!
A new rookie buyer said he didn't know anything about cards, but heard through social media, sports cards have become very lucrative and wanted in on the action! Who's driving these escalating prices --we are--if you see a Goudey Ruth card asking price 10,000 are you going to sell the one you purchased last year for 3500 for 5,000 if you don't need the money-? These are price crazy times and may only end when the buyers end!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:33 AM
Jeff Carlson

I am on the sidelines...sorta.

My collecting has slowed down considerably. In part due to not attending in-person shows, but also online. I only have 1 card left to finish my 1970 set (Bench) and 5 cards to finish 1968 (including the Ryan RC) and I expect that I won't finish those sets until the bubble bursts and the prices on those cards come back down to levels I feel comfortable paying. I don't even want to think about that 1955 Clemente, even though I am 85% done with that set.

I still pick up things here and there for niche parts of my collection that aren't subject to the price inflation, but that is about it.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 08-16-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:05 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Well said! Saved me the trouble of writing it. It’s not so much the spike in card prices but the drop in the value of dollars. There is a LOT of money out there, and in the high end, incredibly high amounts of money. I think cards will holds more value than they might seem in this spike, because there is no way to fix the dollar from here.

So buy what you like and can afford, don’t wait for a price drop in most cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
For the past several years, the Federal Reserve (and many of its international equivalents) has pursued a policy of increasing the availability of dollars by purchasing bonds and holding them on its balance sheet. The justification for the policy is that the enhanced liquidity will spur economic activity and job creation and there is little enough inflation that "real" economic activity will increase.

The fed's accommodative policy was holding its own (the economy was booming and inflation remained constrained) when the pandemic hit. In response to the economic collapse triggered by the pandemic, the Fed has felt compelled to "double down" on the purchase of financial assets, thereby injecting even more dollars into the financial system.

The rush of dollars provided by the Fed has pushed stocks and bonds to historical highs even as the economy has staggered, with several sectors facing existential challenges. Gold is rising and the dollar is falling, both classic advance indicators of impending inflation.

One view would be that purchasing collectables, particularly high-end items with active (liquid) markets, is a logical use of investable capital in expectation of higher (possibly much higher) rates of inflation in the near future combined with stagnant stock and bond markets.

Collectables are similar to gold -- a relatively fixed supply with a reliable hold on people's fascination. Selling stocks and bonds at historically high levels and purchasing collectables could be a prudent "hedge" strategy for a portion of a large investment portfolio.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Joshua

If the market tells you anything, buying on momentum is a winning strategy. Your IRR is better on increasing price momo versus sitting on intrinsic value.

Other rationale includes the boat of liquidity by the fed pushing money into all assets, including cards. And cards are similar to gold - alternative store of value. As the dollar debase, assets valued with dollars rise...
Old 08-16-2020, 01:17 PM
Joshua

I should read earlier posts... (says the doppelgänger)
Old 08-16-2020, 01:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, but how are cards a good store of capital when sectors like modern basketball are in hyperinflation? Again base cards of LeBron James and Kobe Bryant which used to sell for DOLLARS last year are now selling for THOUSANDS. This is not a good investment at these prices, because the money has to dry up. This would be like silver at $300/oz or DJIA at $400K... if you would invest in modern cards now, it would be the equivalent to me.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

when the card market corrects from its current dizzying heights, as it most certainly will, I hope that vintage pre-war cards hold up better than the deep pools of Mike Trout rookies. This board is supposed to be about vintage not the hottest rookie.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:09 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
when the card market corrects from its current dizzying heights, as it most certainly will, I hope that vintage pre-war cards hold up better than the deep pools of Mike Trout rookies. This board is supposed to be about vintage not the hottest rookie.
I would happily watch the value of my prewar collection plummet if it meant I could then afford some things that are currently out of my reach.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:14 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There are two reasons price guides are unreliable: 1) Shilling and 2) You don't know which which sales were actual sales. Many surely were not.

Quote:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ht=coronavirus

If you want to read some really interesting threads on blowout about this, the Project 2020 thread on the baseball board and the "cook groups" thread about youtube and discord pumpers will give you a good idea.

There are a lot of cards setting records and not getting paid for, which continually pushes the market higher because now there's a high "sale" recorded. Read some threads about how $2 (last year) Lebron James cards from Panini Prizm are now selling for a thousand a piece. The scope and scale of the bubble is like the Dutch tulip market 500 years ago...
Old 08-16-2020, 02:29 PM
Daryl

Default Prices

I collect PSA 5 T206's, commons I was paying 75 to 100 dollars are now gong for $200 and up, and HOF'ers are insane. I can't bring myself to pay these prices I have only picked up 1 card the past year. If these prices continue I will probably cash out its very tempting could double or triple my original cost.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:14 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I am somewhat sitting on the sidelines since the price increases but occasionally I still do purchase a T206 for my set when the price is super reasonable. I also collect other items such as coins and I've had really good luck purchasing rare varieties at common prices. The deals are still out there. There just isn't as many as there used to be. I'm still spending all of my monthly budget so basically I'm still staying pretty busy and I feel that the items I'm purchasing are more stable than the dollar currently is.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 08-16-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
I collect PSA 5 T206's, commons I was paying 75 to 100 dollars are now gong for $200 and up, and HOF'ers are insane. I can't bring myself to pay these prices I have only picked up 1 card the past year. If these prices continue I will probably cash out its very tempting could double or triple my original cost.
I believe these price increases are real and not the result of shilling, no-sales, or other price manipulation. There are many cards whose values are truly up, including PSA 5 T206s.

If you can afford them and are willing and able to hold for the long term (5-10+ years), I believe T206s, Cobbs, Ruths, Jacksons, Wagners, other rare pre WWI issues and blue chip HOFers are great investments. I have watched them increase consistently in value for 35 years (since I started collecting in the early 80's) and I do not see that changing. This is true also of Mantle, Clemente, Koufax, Aaron, Robinson, etc., but these are too "common" for me personally. Baseball cards of blue chip players will go up in the long-term. Just like stock. If you believe this, and I do, then there is no sense in trying to "time the market". Rather, believe in the investment.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 08-16-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I am somewhat sitting on the sidelines since the price increases but occasionally I still do purchase a T206 for my set when the price is super reasonable. I also collect other items such as coins and I've had really good luck purchasing rare varieties at common prices. The deals are still out there. There just isn't as many as there used to be. I'm still spending all of my monthly budget so basically I'm still staying pretty busy and I feel that the items I'm purchasing are more stable than the dollar currently is.
Ron - Here you go. A chance to get a bunch of T206 cards at a "super reasonable" price.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...-high-auction/
Old 08-16-2020, 05:01 PM
pete ullman

I would avoid whats going through the roof at the moment...like jordan rookies...modern basketball. Blue chip vintage will be fine. Demand has caught up to supply for quality pre war stuff.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:09 PM
David Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp3rd View Post
Good question. My answer may not make sense, but yes I think there will be a price retreat (I.e. bubble burst), and yes I continue to buy. I am a collector, and if I see something I want or need, I buy it if the price is right. I have overpaid on a few things, for certain, but I am buying to hold and I don’t want to pass up the opportunity to obtain cards that I have targeted for a while when they appear.

I know there is an investment aspect, but it’s not my problem—I plan to die with most of these cards in my possession, so their value won’t matter. My kids will be happy with whatever they get out of it.

Makes perfect sense here, same strategy. I put a base 03 Topps LeBron James on eBay, first eBay sell listing for me since 2010. I took the money from the sale and turned it into PSA graded 78 OPC(7) & Topps(8) Eddie Murrays, a PSA 7 66 Philadelphia Bob Hayes, a 79 Topps PSA 7 Ozzie Newsome, a 56 Topps PSA 2(great eye appeal) Roosevelt Brown from Levi 707, and a 32 inch LG Smart TV. Wanted the LeBron gone, got things I wanted that will be with me for years. Well, the tv may not last decades
Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwaylandscaping View Post
Makes perfect sense here, same strategy. I put a base 03 Topps LeBron James on eBay, first eBay sell listing for me since 2010. I took the money from the sale and turned it into PSA graded 78 OPC(7) & Topps(8) Eddie Murrays, a PSA 7 66 Philadelphia Bob Hayes, a 79 Topps PSA 7 Ozzie Newsome, a 56 Topps PSA 2(great eye appeal) Roosevelt Brown from Levi 707, and a 32 inch LG Smart TV. Wanted the LeBron gone, got things I wanted that will be with me for years. Well, the tv may not last decades

That’s a great haul! I’ve heard some of my friends tell similar tales...selling modern and putting the money into vintage. You’re the first one to add a TV, though! Great stuff.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

I owned a few modern cards that were up quite a lot over what I paid. I sold most of them and it covered a good portion of the CJ Jackson I picked up here. I'm still buying, but none of the cards that have experienced the huge run ups (other than a Goudey Ruth).
Old 08-16-2020, 11:00 PM
Sean McGinty

I think a lot of this is explicable by people re-allocating money they would have spent on other stuff like holidays to sedentary hobbies like ours which you can do at home by yourself.

The interesting question is what happens when the pandemic ends. Do people just snap back to their previous spending habits and stop pouring money into cards like they are now? Or has some of this changed behavior become permanent - people having been turned into hardcore collectors staying that way?

Either way, I would “hold” on any major purchases now since its obviously a seller’s market.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
I think a lot of this is explicable by people re-allocating money they would have spent on other stuff like holidays to sedentary hobbies like ours which you can do at home by yourself.

The interesting question is what happens when the pandemic ends. Do people just snap back to their previous spending habits and stop pouring money into cards like they are now? Or has some of this changed behavior become permanent - people having been turned into hardcore collectors staying that way?

Either way, I would “hold” on any major purchases now since its obviously a seller’s market.
Current auctions = hard to hold, especially when some of the cards won't come up again for years, and in some cases, it could be 10s of years or ever

Last edited by Leon; 08-16-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Chuck Whisman

I’ve been assessing the significant rise in card prices over the past year (and especially the past 4-6 months) so I’ve spent some time understanding what is influencing the market and what are the biggest risks. Here are some quick observations on the market drivers:
1. Social Media Influencers – there are some very popular people on social media who have helped recruit a massive number of new buyers to our industry over the past couple of years, and especially in 2020. An investment-oriented social media influencer is someone who has a big following for their investment guidance. People follow these people for their investment ideas, and many have been telling people about specifics of good investments to make in sports cards. I can’t give you a number, but a guess would be that these influencers have brought tens of thousands of new investors to our industry. These social media influencers give people specifics of what sports cards they invested in, how much it appreciated in a short time, and what is the next hottest item. Most of the new investors have seen good results, but some investment ideas didn’t work as well (Topps Project 2020).
2. Asia Pacific and International Market – over the last couple of years I’ve watched the Asia Pacific and other international areas increase purchases and investments. This is especially the case for basketball and soccer cards. Panini has made increased amounts of “China exclusive” products and I remember Beckett commented on the increase in submissions for grading from Asia Pacific.
3. Day Traders and Stock Market Investors – this is one of the groups that the social media influencers has helped bring to our industry. It’s then a trickle-down effect on social media. They discuss specifics of purchases they make and how they have increased. This is a big movement for newer cards, especially as a player gets hot in any sport. Even the recent basketball restart was a bit crazy, as guys like Bol Bol and Gary Trent Jr. had a couple good games and their cards skyrocketed overnight. Underappreciated stars like Damian Lilliard also saw their cards spike, and any Lebron or Kobe PSA 10 card seems to increase by the week, even if it was somewhat mass produced. In summary, many of the investors in this group is looking for a quick return like a day trader in the stock market, and others are betting on good annual appreciation. In football, the increase in value in rookies such as Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson has been staggering. Young baseball stars such as Acuna, Soto, Tatis, Luis Robert and others have increased in value like crazy.
4. Gamblers – similar to day traders shifting to our industry during the pandemic, the on-line gamblers had limited sporting events to bet on. They have found success investing in players as they are heating up and sharing with others the rise in eBay sale prices.
5. Sneaker Collectors – also brought over from the social media influence, the "sneaker heads" are apparently people who always invested in rare sneakers for investments. Since a big part of their investments were basketball sneakers, they are very active in newer basketball cards.
6. The Pandemic Itself – you can’t ignore the fact that more people were home, and most investors in our industry have done well in the past few months.
7. Prospecting – I’ve noted several examples above on the influence on the newer cards that essentially are related to prospecting the next great star or prospecting that rookie and rare superstars like Lebron, Kobe, Jeter, Griffey, Mantle, Jordan, or whatever iconic great will continue to rise in value.
8. Vintage Impact – some of the investors have been looking at good investments in vintage cards, as we’ve seen the vintage high-grade and rookie card values increase considerably. One social media influencer of note has shifted a lot of focus from newer to vintage cards.
9. Retail distribution by Panini and Topps – there is a craze of mass-produced retail sports card boxes at Walmart and Target, as fairly hard to get hobby boxes are showing up at Walmarts and Targets across the US, and buyers can almost instantly more than quadruple their investment by selling the products on-line. Personally, I wish Panini and Topps cared more about hobby stores. A Walmart manager recently told me that the people who deliver sports cards to Walmarts in Pennsylvania are now bringing security people with them to restock shelves, and some restocking employees (which is an outside vendor), are stalked in parking lots and followed home. One concern I have for this movement is the massive amount of cards being produced that are expected to be more common. For example, 2019-20 Chronicles basketball came out in hobby boxes 2-3 weeks ago and some of the rookies were getting great prices on eBay, but now I can’t fathom a guess how many of the same cards are easily available in retail boxes.
10. Four Sports at the Same Time – once the NFL starts up, the 4 primary sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) will all be playing at the same time and the prospecting of who will be hot is occurring for each primary sport at the same time.
11. GEM MINT Graded Cards – PSA, Beckett, and SGC have all experienced not only an all-time high in graded submissions, but the increase of that volume is increasing at non-manageable levels. One grading company told me their weekly submissions has more than tripled since pre-pandemic and the percent increase of submissions is increasing week after week. Beckett and SGC are now charging $100 for 5-day turn around. We always talk supply and demand in business. In this case demand is two-fold – increased number of buyers of cards, and the increased number of cards to be graded. Supply of newer cards took a hit during the spring in the heart of the pandemic, which also was a market driver. You can buy a newer rookie card for $5-$10 that may have a 50% chance of being a gem mint grade, and the gem mint grade may sell for 10 times more than the purchase price. At those numbers, it’s been a good investment for many.
12. The Money Reinvested Back in the Industry. So more people making money in cards, means a lot of that money is getting reinvested back into the industry.
Just noticed I’m rambling too much. Consider the long-term supply and demand when you are investing. I think the vintage market will stay very strong for top cards. Newer cards will stay strong if buyers will keep paying 5-10 times more for Gem Mint rookies and the many new buyers stay in the game (but the bubble can easily break if the buyers move out, or the supply of newer cards increases too much). I think the backlog at the grading companies is helping prices (less gem mints of newer stuff than if they could keep up with the volume). My overall thoughts are to enjoy this bubble while it lasts and that a $100k investment is better made in a signed 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth than a 2019-20 Zion Williamson 1/1 autograph 😊. Since I’m not spending $100k, I’d rather spend $100 on a rare Michael Jordan or Mike Trout card or a vintage HOFer card than Bol Bol.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Lots of good points but here is what I think is the most salient one:

I am watching the savings rate. The U.S. personal saving rate (personal saving as a percentage of disposable personal income) has spiked:

June 2020 19.0%
May 2020 23.2 %
April 2020 32.2 %
March 2020 12.6 %

The spike in card prices started after 2-3 months of savings. Those who are still employed and not sick were socking away money at a record pace. Add that to boredom and flatlined leisure spending and you have a perfect condition for a price spike. No doubt that spike has been fueled by social media (like that Gary V character) and people with a financial interest in stoking a FOMO response.

So the question is what to do. To me it is like a housing bubble: if you are OK with taking the profit and moving into an apartment, sell the house and hang onto the money until the inevitable correction. If you like your house and don't need to cash in, forget about it. I am in the middle. I've sold a handful of highly appreciated cards that I liked but that were just too attractively priced to keep (I replaced one with a lower grade copy that cost me a tiny fraction of the sale price because I like the card). If the July data continues the move closer to the American historical average of 7% I would expect the acceleration of prices to halt and the drops to start. I will probably list most of the highly appreciated cards at that point, cash them in, and wait to repurchase them lower. If that doesn't happen, well, OK, I have the cash. If does happen, then even better. I effectively rented my card to someone for a period.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-17-2020, 02:50 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

All is well in the sports card market. People are buying and people are selling. With the pathetic interest rates for savings, who would not take a chance. I have ben following this for the last 5 months and every time I think it might collapse it goes higher. Covid is going to be around for a long time. There is no vaccine and may not be one for quite a while. The whole world is being hit again with no cure in sight. Shopping the internet for cards is fun and keeps your mind off this troubled world.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Shopping the internet for cards is fun and keeps your mind off this troubled world.

“A Card Collection is a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day — brought to life in vivid picture and prose,” Jefferson Burdick, introduction to the 1960 edition of the American Card Catalog

Or not...
Old 08-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Josh Adams

I'm holding off on some cards that I think will come back down to earth. Then there are some cards that a previous poster said, you may not see for decades. Im ok with paying a "higher" price, because when it comes back up for sale, that card will be even higher.

Ive been fortunate that the shutdown hasn't hurt me that much. but then again, not all of us have checks coming in from the Super Terrific Happy Hour.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:52 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

[QUOTE=vintagewhitesox; not all of us have checks coming in from the Super Terrific Happy Hour.[/QUOTE]

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Serenity Now.....

.....Insanity later!
Old 08-20-2020, 05:52 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Default my 2 cents

I have a bought a LOT of cards and unopened packs/boxes in the last 3 months, and these were my first purchases since probably 1992.

I think it's over simplifying to think this is driven by people with nothing better to do. My initial re-entry was certainly due to COVID - I spent a lot of time going through my collection (had not touched in 30 years), and organizing/itemizing etc...But it did not stop there - this process completely re-charged my interest in collecting... I began to buy all the cards I could not own as a kid (84 Fleer Update, Mantle, Aaron, Banks, etc), and complete a my incomplete sets. Then I stumbled upon Tobacco cards and will now spend the next few years working on The Monster in addition to all of the star rookies from my generation (Jordan, Montana, Gretzky, etc).

So, yes COVID did get me back in... but I am not going away just because I have to eventually go back to work. I'd guess more people involved in the 2020 flurry are somewhat like me. Sure, I'd like to pay less, but I am a collector not a dealer and I do not plan on selling.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Personally, I think it is a little bit of all of the above mentioned. That said, I have s good hunch that some of these prices won't come down ie.. Red Cobbys, Goudey Ruiths and some other mainstays that have rocketed up. They are more fun to collect than to have most of your money sitting as a number in a bank somewhere...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206cobb.jpg (76.7 KB, 1039 views)
File Type: jpg r319rutha.jpg (77.6 KB, 1038 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I have a bought a LOT of cards and unopened packs/boxes in the last 3 months, and these were my first purchases since probably 1992.

I think it's over simplifying to think this is driven by people with nothing better to do. My initial re-entry was certainly due to COVID - I spent a lot of time going through my collection (had not touched in 30 years), and organizing/itemizing etc...But it did not stop there - this process completely re-charged my interest in collecting... I began to buy all the cards I could not own as a kid (84 Fleer Update, Mantle, Aaron, Banks, etc), and complete a my incomplete sets. Then I stumbled upon Tobacco cards and will now spend the next few years working on The Monster in addition to all of the star rookies from my generation (Jordan, Montana, Gretzky, etc).

So, yes COVID did get me back in... but I am not going away just because I have to eventually go back to work. I'd guess more people involved in the 2020 flurry are somewhat like me. Sure, I'd like to pay less, but I am a collector not a dealer and I do not plan on selling.
Welcome back to the hobby!

I love hearing stories like this as we all need a bit of an escape from the world and as Adam referenced in his above quote by Jefferson Burdick that a card collection "...takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day"

Happy collecting!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Personally, I think it is a little bit of all of the above mentioned. That said, I have s good hunch that some of these prices won't come down ie.. Red Cobbys, Goudey Ruiths and some other mainstays that have rocketed up. They are more fun to collect than to have most of your money sitting as a number in a bank somewhere...

Red Cobbs seem to be especially hot lately and dont show any signs of slowing down.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was kicking this around with other collectors recently and it seems like the rising tide on the marquee cards is lifting the lower grade specimens as well as other cards from the same era. I posted a good but not marquee basketball card for sale on eBay and I am surprised how fast and high it has gone up in competitive bidding. I am going to list all the other slabbed stuff; may as well since they are readily replaced with raw cards.

Or not...
Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM
John Donovan

This is a great discussion...and I think about it a lot recently.

I think that the question as to whether to buy now probably depends on what you are buying.

If you are in the market for a blue chip card (as mentioned above....Cobb, Ruth, Mantle) I'd think you're safe to purchase now if you are looking for longer term ownership. Even though they have spiked considerably, and even if the prices level or even dip a little, I have little doubt they will continue to climb in price/value, slow and steady. You may not be able to flip it right now for a profit, but you'll be OK long term. I think the new collectors that are coming in to the hobby now will ensure that.

The one area I would hesitate to buy now, would be highly graded PSA slabbed cards. Even more so with modern cards. While you could still probably be OK with those blue chip cards, I feel like the premium paid for PSA slabs is increasingly artificially high. As I research mid grade vintage hall of famers, I feel like you can save HUNDREDS of dollars by buying identically conditioned cards in SGC holders instead of PSA. Part of that might be because of modern collectors coming in to vintage. As far as I can tell in modern, it is all about the PSA 10 Gem Mint card. Those are the gold standard. So even though modern collectors might be surprised to find out that PSA 10 cards are almost non-existent in vintage, that PSA label likely still looks more appealing to them. In my opinion, nice condition cards in SGC slabs are likely a good buy right now...as I would guess collectors will someday figure out that the card in the holder is what's important, not the slab. I'm sure there are people right now exploiting this by buying nice SGC cards and making a profit by reslabbing them in PSA holders...even after the grading fee.