NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: REA 1914 Babe Ruth vs 1952 Rosen Topps Mantle?
Ruth sells for more than the Mantle 134 62.04%
Ruth sells for less than the Mantle 60 27.78%
Ruth sells for roughly the same as the Mantle 22 10.19%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2023, 09:56 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Which part of the $7.2M is going to the auction house? The $0 part?
HA.

Typically an AH is not operated on an eleemosynary basis. My assumption is that they would get at least 5% of the $6M hammer. Said another way, the AH might only keep 5% of the 20% BP. But I guess you never know on a piece like this precisely what the parties negotiated.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-04-2023, 10:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Why say charitable when you can say eleemosynary?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-04-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:12 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
HA.

Typically an AH is not operated on an eleemosynary basis. My assumption is that they would get at least 5% of the $6M hammer. Said another way, the AH might only keep 5% of the 20% BP. But I guess you never know on a piece like this precisely what the parties negotiated.
REA received more publicity than it’s ever gotten in its entire existence with this Ruth card - and Brian was fantastic with it. REA made huge strides in reaching areas of the marketplace that no other AH besides Christie’s and Sotheby’s ever have seen. I’m pretty sure the fee on this card was 0.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:15 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
REA received more publicity than it’s ever gotten in its entire existence with this Ruth card - and Brian was fantastic with it. REA made huge strides in reaching areas of the marketplace that no other AH besides Christie’s and Sotheby’s ever have seen. I’m pretty sure the fee on this card was 0.
Awesome. If so, then that's a great deal to the consignor.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-04-2023, 03:27 PM

As a reminder, this card was graded as a '3', while most of us, including myself, thought this looked like a '1' or '1-1/2'. I think a true Vg card would have attracted even more high rollers and go for quite a few more McMillions.

Brian
Old 12-04-2023, 04:09 PM
Phil Garry

Agreed, the card was overgraded. However, it might still be the second best example extant. I cannot speak to that as I am not familiar with the other nine known except that one was graded a 4 and a few were either 1's or 1.5's.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-04-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
As a reminder, this card was graded as a '3', while most of us, including myself, thought this looked like a '1' or '1-1/2'. I think a true Vg card would have attracted even more high rollers and go for quite a few more McMillions.

Brian
^ THIS. As I studied the photo of the Ruth with the other Baltimore News cards from the same collection of the family, the red of the Ruth looked decidedly tired. I shan't jump on the grenade about why this is so, but I would think the bidders / potential bidders weren't blind to the card's appearance in contrast to its brothers, either

I was among the individuals who voted the BN Ruth would not sell for as much as the SGC 9.5 Gem Mint '52 Topps Mickey Mantle. No big deal there, but just a reminder the Mantle is a gem, whereas the recent REA BN Ruth looked the worse for wear, AND over-graded. It is a great card, and sold for well over 15 times the previous example sold. Further, that sale was the prime condition Baltimore News Ruth. Just as Mr. Mint Alan Rosen pounded the table in one of his 2 books-----in home buying, the key is "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION". In card collecting, Alan stressed, the key is "CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION".

Yes, the Baltimore News Babe Ruth is rare, regally rare, all day and all night. Nevertheless, a lesser condition example may not get the bucks Ruth fans think. It didn't.

That BN Ruth is by all means a great card---just as it is. It's obviously just not a $12.7 million card. Don't let it ruin your day, or year. Besides, just around the corner might come a better Baltimore News Babe, and the sparks will fly. I hope. --- Brian Powell (I was not an underbidder.)

Last edited by brian1961; 12-04-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:40 PM

Default BN Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
This card was purchased for about $5mm less than two years ago. Last night it sells for $7.2mm - a $2.2mm (44%) increase in two years, which is 22% per year. How on god’s green earth is that result a “failure”? It isn’t. Instead, there was a ton of hype and the result did not meet the hype. But the result was very good. The hype was BS. The BN Ruth was worth $5mm two years ago. Now it’s worth $7.2mm. Seems to me, that is pretty darn positive
Spot on Ryan! Also, consider that the BN Ruth (in the exact same grade) outperformed the SGC 3 T206 Wagner also sold by REA a few years ago by $0.6 million. The Wagner & 1952 Topps Mantle are the undisputed cornerstone cards in the hobby. Thus, this $7.2 million sale should be viewed as a major hobby success. We all got caught up in the “hype” of a potential eight-figure+ sale (including myself), ultimately tainting a solid $7.2 million pricing point. Crazy.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

164 die hard people in the hobby of soley vintage aportscards were wrong, by a lot. About half before the BP.

Me shudders to think what will happen to all these bargain prices and value blue chip chasers.

Keep collecting what you like

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-04-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
164 die hard people in the hobby of soley vintage aportscards were wrong, by a lot. About half before the BP.

Me shudders to think what will happen to all these bargain prices and value blue chip chasers.

Keep collecting what you like
T3d----My cardboard conundrum continues to be the cards I really like keep going up, and up, and up. By all means, not rookie cards; I've never gravitated to that niche, strong as it is. However, the industry continues to produce post-career cards and current Aaron Judge cards I find very attractive. Somehow, my card money continues to be spent. But I love them!!!!! ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-04-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Experience from my line of work and hearing Nat Turner expressly state that they are not using it to grade cards in multiple podcast interviews.

It's not possible to grade cards with the type of scans that PSA uses. No matter how high-def the images are. You need to have a machine that takes numerous images from every different angle with light reflected at different angles as well, and then convolve those images to create a topographic map like TAG Grading does in order to even begin to grade cards. And it's just too big of a hill to climb when it comes to vintage cards because of the surfaces.
OK thanks for explaining. i'll check to see if there are any sources for guys saying otherwise. I don't necessarily trust PSA itself to be truthful, place more stock in your views informed by your expertise.

So do you think graders just have no clue how to grade vintage? Lots of stories, from reliable sources, about long time dealers getting absolutely screwed on subs and getting on average 2-3 grades lower than they expected even allowing for some tighter grading.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-04-2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Hank Thomas

As far as the grade is concerned, TPG's do grade "on the curve," don't they, with fragile issues like T205s not held to the same standard as T206s and the like? If so, that might explain the grade, which otherwise seems incredibly generous.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 12-05-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:49 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why say charitable when you can say eleemosynary?

Quote:
I saw a quick story about the Ruth card on my local news outlet, so yes, lots of free advertising for REA. The story was post auction and indicated the Ruth card sold for the 3rd highest price for a baseball card behind the 52T Mantle (at $12M+) and the T206 Wags at $7.25M.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The story was post auction and indicated the Ruth card sold for the 3rd highest price for a baseball card behind the 52T Mantle (at $12M+) and the T206 Wags at $7.25M.
Exactly!! I feel this is what most people are missing bc of the hype, which created very unrealistic expectations. This is the 3rd best price ever, and it’s not a t206 Wagner nor a 1952 Topps mantle - the two most iconic cards of all time that have common-man appeal well beyond your typical collector. This is a great result and REA should be shouting this fact from the rooftop, not to mention they have now sold two of the top 3 most expensive cards/sales ever
Old 12-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
As far as the grade is concerned, TPG's do grade "on the curve," don't they, with fragile issues like T205s not held to the same standard as T206s and the like?
No.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:22 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
As far as the grade is concerned, TPG's do grade "on the curve," don't they, with fragile issues like T205s not held to the same standard as T206s and the like? If so, that might explain the grade, which otherwise seems incredibly generous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
No.
It seems to me that the curve, if there is one, is based not on which set the card is from but on who the submitter is.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
It seems to me that the curve, if there is one, is based not on which set the card is from but on who the submitter is.
Animal Farm all the way.