NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Default n172 st louis browns champs?

i have seen alot of n172 st louis brown champs get a authentic grade why is this? where the hand cut from a premium or cabinet? where inserted in packs of cigarettes like all the other old judge cards? any insight would be helpful thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Matt Hall

Some could be cut from an ad but most were inserted then trimmed later.

Keep in mind, TPGs grade many unaltered OJs authentic. I havent figured out why yet.

I have a card that I suspect was cut from an ad, it seems to me that the albumen might be better quality then he regular inserts. Maybe an expert can chime in and tell me I'm imagining things.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Barry Sloate

Old Judges come in all different sizes, so they have to be a particular challenge for the TPG.

Matthew- if the one you have was cut from an advertising piece, it would be very thick.

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Matt Hall

Barry, the reason I'm not sure is because it's partially skinned. The remaining mount does seem a different make as well... Slightly darker. Did you ever notice a difference in the albumen? The card I am referencing seem to have a different surface texture. Sort of like the texture you would get from one of those portrait studios at the mall,,, I'm @ work, no scan available right now.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Barry Sloate

I don't know if you have a copy of the Old Judge book but there are several advertising pieces pictured. I've seen them in person and there doesn't seem to be any difference between the photographic quality of the ad pieces and the actual cards, so if it's skinned I might not be able to tell. I have seen Old Judges that were irregularly cut and were on very thick mounts, nearly twice the thickness of the regular cards. Those were easily determined to be from the advertising pieces.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Matt Hall

Thanks Barry, I'm almost sure it's from an ad, it's a recent bst purchase and I'll post a scan later.

I don't understand why TPGs have a hard time grading OJs. It's really easy to see trimming, factory cut edges are obvious, under a loupe, IMO.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Barry Sloate

You would assume so but they still have to make a judgment call with some of the smaller examples. I remember once sending a group in to one of the grading companies and getting mostly Authentic grades, then breaking them out and sending them to the other TPG...and of course all but one came back with numerical grades. So there is clearly some subjectivity involved.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Matt Hall

This is the card that I believe was cut from an ad. The board member I bought it from had a cool story to go along with it, may be he'll chime in.

Supporting my ad cut theory is the fact that there was a Brooklyn mini within the group of cards.

Looking at it closely again, I still believe the albumen is of a different quality.

Back to the OP, I doubt most of the Browns Champs are hand cut. I think the reason you see so many is because the same examples have been sitting on eBay with moon prices for quite some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N172WELCHM.jpg (77.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Barry Sloate

The albumen photo should be the same. Are you sure it's real? I'm unable to tell from the scan, but there should be no difference between the issued card and the advertising banner.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Matt Hall

I'm positive it's real. It could just be the way it's aged... It also could be a difference nobody has noticed. It's subtle if the difference is there. I wish I had more ad cut cards to compare it to.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Does the mount look thicker than a normal OJ?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Matt Hall

No, it's partially skinned, or possibly rebacked. I'm going with partially skinned due to the uneven thickness and torn look of the back of the mount.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Barry Sloate

Maybe some of the OJ experts can chime in. Certainly looks hand cut.