NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default Beckett takes the Low Road on BVG

Posted By: leon 

Hey Folks,
I feel it is up to us to report good, bad, and indifferent issues. Let me first say that I know 2 of the gentleman at Beckett very well, trust them, and respect them. They are Wayne G. and Rich K.. I have nothing but good things to say about these gentleman. With that being said I am not so sure about the grading service their company offers for us Vintage card collectors. Recently ya'll will remember a certain Drum backed T206 Cobby on Ebay. It was being sold by a seller with a somewhat dubious history, to say the least. I was interested in the card and inquired to the President of Beckett, Mark Harwell, about guaranteeing the card in THEIR holder. He referred me to their senior grader, Mark Anderson. After a polite email with him, and a nice phone call, he basically told me that they will NOT offer/state any upfront recourse if the card turned out to be bad. I am fairly sure he was just the messenger on this issue. They stood by their line of "if we say it's good then it's good" and who would we choose to dispute them? ......and they really didn't leave any room for a mistake. I told them that this would be a golden opportunity for them to step up to the plate with their service and dispel any unfound rumors. They declined. When I called a major auction house and spoke to an expert about said card he said in effect "bad looking card, bad seller, bad grading company". Until my conversations with the head folks at Beckett I would have disagreed. One more caveat. Mark Harwell did have his secretary try to make an appointment to talk with me on the phone FOUR DAYS after the auction ended. I responded back immmediately (and this was 3 days before the auction closed) that this would defeat the purpose and would be moot at this later date. I never heard back. My conclusion.....as far as grading companies go, for vintage cards, stick to SGC..they aren't perfect but still the best grading company for what we collect.......again, that is only my opinion.....regards all....and here is what I was told in an email.........

Our policy at BGS/BVG is that, once a card is encapsulated in our holder, it is a legitimate and authentic card, and thus do not offer any type of recourse. BVG Senior Graders and other vintage experts could not find any evidence of tampering/re-backing at the time the card was graded, so our belief is that the card is authentic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2745355915&category=31718

Old 08-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Never, EVER bid in an auction where the buyers' ids are private. NEVER, even if it is a graded card...

Old 08-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Beckett blew it big time, and their attitude will ensure that they will never grade a large number of vintage cards. I can only imagine that they don't care if they do or not.

Say what you will about PSA and SGC, when they have made glaring mistakes, like the card referenced, they have stepped up to the plate and fixed the problem, the way any reasonable corporation should.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Leon
Thanks for the update. I was hoping Beckett would step up and "Do the right thing", but I guess someone standing behind there product is too much to ask these days. So they made a mistake, Big deal, admit it, fix it and move on. If I were Beckett, I wouldn't want my name on that card. later brian

Old 08-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M

The seller of the T206 Cobb with Drum back has a long history of somehow owning re-backed T206 cards. Im sure I can go through my jpg's of Drum backs and find the original "front" that once held this Drum back.
The bottom line: There are many "bad" cards in plastic holders out there.