NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Beckett Grading

Hello everyone, I'm curious your take - what's the knock on Beckett Grading on pre-war cards..? (BVG .. not BCCG).

I've heard most say they're not good for various reasons - lower standards, not experienced, inconsistent, not good with the pre-war (but better w/modern), etc. I have some T206 in BVG holders and have to admit they look pretty good for their grade. In fact a few I've submitted to SGC over the years for crossover have held the same grade or even bumped up 1/2 to 1.

I just don't understand the hit on them and then see the ridiculous inconsistencies from PSA - especially on the pre-wars. 4's and 5's for cards with creases, paper-loss, chipped corners and edges, faded backs, etc.

Thanks, as always, for your feedback.

Ed
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Jeff

Default Bvg

I have bought several Beckett graded pre-war cards. Nary a one do I consider overgraded.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Phil Garry

I second Jeff's opinion, BVG is very accurate with their vintage card grading.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Andy Garden

Default Bvg

Hey, Ed! I have no issues with their grading, I just can't get over those tank like holders. Not a big fan of the holder or the flip at all.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Default Beckett

I agree with Phil & Gary. I have purchase (not submitted) a number of Beckett graded cards. Although not my preference, I definitely did not find them over graded.

Zach Wheat
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my 1/2 cent

They are an advertiser here and I consider them friends too, but I don't mind saying it again as it's true. BVG grades very well and quite conservatively. I have never had an issue with any of their grades and have always felt they were fair, if not conservative (as mentioned). Some of the best graders in the hobby imho....
Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Rob Miller

Default Beckett is solid

I have all my cards graded by SGC because I like their overall service, holder and grading as well as for consistency purposes. However, I haven't really had any problems crossing over cards graded by Beckett modern or vintage. IMO Beckett grades much more consistently than PSA.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Patrick N.

Default vintage

I don't think they are consistent with vintage

Last edited by mintacular; 12-10-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I don't think they are consistent with vintage
In my experience they are extremely consistent with vintage. I don't know about the others, as I don't collect newer stuff, but I do know they are the standard for many of the very new cards.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

So far, both BVG T206 cards that I've sent to SGC for crossover have been bumped UP one notch. A BVG 2 is now and SGC 40/3 and my Cy Young portrait (was a BVG 1) is looking much better in a SGC 20/1.5 slab.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG09 View Post
Hey, Ed! I have no issues with their grading, I just can't get over those tank like holders. Not a big fan of the holder or the flip at all.

Ditto. And the inner sleeve makes it very difficult to get a scan without 'hot spots' all over it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Always consistent and pleased with their customer service.

However, the *armadillo holder and their mind altering BCCG division needs to go.

*If the translucent baggie were a clear half-baggie, like PSAs, that would be a vast improvement.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Did you guys every see the story/pictures of the collection that was lost due to flooding during Hurriane Katrina? I am looking for it but the only thing that made it thru the flooding without Damage was his BGS graded cards. His other graded cards all had some extent of Water Damage. For me, that says it all right there. My personal collection is almost 100% in BGS/BVG slabs.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Phil Garry

Another plus, the BGS oversize holder also enables them to be the only grading company which can accomodate popular oversize items such as: M101-1's, M101-2's, etc.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-10-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Thank you

Just a quick note to thank you all for your feedback - very interesting - especially on the Hurricane Katrina story and the BVG's the only ones to stand up. I do agree with some that they're not the best looking case (..and tough as hell to crack out), but glad to see I wasn't alone in assessing that their grading seems pretty fair and consistent.

Thanks again,

Ed
Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
what's the knock on Beckett Grading on pre-war cards..? (BVG .. not BCCG).
I have yet to have any issue with any BVG purchase and all grades seemed fair and accurate. ( I have, however, only submitted to PSA and SGC.)

That being said, having BCCG associated in anyway with BVG seems to keep them just below the big two.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Clayton

The BVG graded T206's that I have seem to be graded right on the money. Unfortunatley, I can't say the same about the T206's I have that have been graded by PSA........

I also wish they would do away with BCCG.

1.SGC

2.BVG

3.PSA

(IMO)

Clayton
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Yes, I have a $50.00 problem

I haven't had a problem with Beckett (BVG) until recently, not that there are many pre-war BVG cards to choose from.

My issue can be found in the thread, "Opinions: Fro-Joy Premium," which was started on 12-16-10.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130892

Beckett concluded my Fro-Joy premium was counterfeit, but when I sent them an e-mail after receiving the card back, I received a reply from them in which they stated the card was altered (The depressed area found on Fro-Joy premiums was removed, causing the card to measure short). In the package from Beckett, they included a little card with "questionable authenticity" checked, but the section of their little card denoting altered cards wasn't checked. They also didn't comment on their reason for concluding such on the little line next to the counterfeit check box, which is what the little line is there for. For nearly $50.00, Beckett should have written something on that little line.

Knowing SGC and PSA are the two most respected pre-war card graders, Beckett suggested I send the card to them, adding they would state the card was altered. Beckett said SGC and PSA refer to altered cards as "questionable authenticity." But that's not true, SGC and PSA refer to altered cards as "altered, trimmed, etc." SGC and PSA refer to counterfeits as "questionable authenticity." Beckett back-tracked by stating when they labeled their little card "questionable authenticity," they really meant "altered." Also, Beckett is aware of SGC and PSA's respective policies to not grade Fro-Joy, which is due to the Fro-Joy cards, not the Fro-Joy premium.

We make mistakes; people make mistakes. Beckett made a mistake, and that's usually fine. However, the BECKETT is actually keeping my money for this half service.

If I ever stumble across my 1995 Topps in the attic.........no, they're not handling my cards.

Edited to say that subsequent to this my opinion changed following further research. Respected collectors vouched for Beckett and provided reasons for doing so. Meanwhile, I purchased this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-09-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: silly, inaccurate comment removed