NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb/Bushing/SCDA/Game-Used Decal Bat

Posted By: Robert Plancich

I recently received an auction catalog from American Memorabilia for their current auction that ends on December 9th. Lot #1 description reads "Early Ty Cobb Game Used Decal Bat, Finest Known." The SCDA Letter of Authenticity (LOA) states the following - under the Manufacturer Characteristics section it states that this bat was used during the regular season(s) 1911 -1916 and that the bat was made from "Professional Grade Ash". Under the Player Characteristics (Positive) section it states that the bat exhibits "heavy" game use. It also states that there are no visible ball and/or stitch marks because of the hardness of the wood (Professional Ash). It also states that Mr. Bushing's "forensic examination" revealed "several Cobb style scattered cleat marks" about the barrel. Finally, Mr. Bushing performed some sort of "Grain examination" and the results of that examination revealed that it was "Professional" grain. The LOA Certification number for this bat is 251862 and the bat was awarded an SCDA "Final Grade A5".

Now according to SCD Authentic Bat Grading Criteria a bat which is graded an A5 is described as an "Authenticated Bat with Noted Problems of Usage and/or Player Characteristics". Under this grade section it states that "Physical characteristics of the bat have been examined and negative traits are present - this includes no game use." However if you review the LOA and the section heading titled "Player Characteristics (Negative) for this bat there is nothing listed, in fact all 8 of the categories for this section are answered as N/A. The LOA also states that this bat "matches known weight and style for the era" regarding the factory records. However, when you review the SCDA bat criteria it states that when "dealing with Pre-1930 Louisville Slugger bats, since there are no factory records, factory production details of the bat have been compared to found or existing records of known lenghts, weights, model and proper labeling period." Finally, the LOA states under the section titled "Comments" that this is a "very rare Ty Cobb decal bat from 1911 to 1916. Pre dates signature models. 33 1/2" only made for professional use. Desireable hand turned knob showing special attention was given to bat."

The auction catalog description states the folloing -"This bat has been thoroughly examined by the world's foremost authority on the subject, David Bushing, who notes that the bat matches all known identifiers and specifications for a proper hand-turned Ty Cobb gamer, including proper weight of 36 ounces and 33-1/2 inches. It features its original H&B decal depicting Cobb in his Detroit uniform , and it too is gorgeous, in solid condition with expected age and evident wear from game use, but the image and graphic are almost 90% complete."

I have emailed Messrs. Bushing and Troy Kinunen (Director of Authentication for SCDA) about this bat and the numerous questions regarding it's authenticity, game-use, Cobb style cleat marks, not to mention the obvious contradictions between the LOA that they issued and their own stated Bat Grading Criteria but haven't head back from either of them. I contacted another bat expert and was told in no uncertain words that these decal bats are simply store/retail model "souvenir" type bats and were not made for professional use, nor were they used by the players - no way, no how!

I have made every effort to handle these types of situations directly with Messrs. Bushing, Knoll, Kinunen, as well as with Rocky Landsverk and T.S. O'Connell from SCD and every email that I have sent has gone unanswered and ignored. This bat is an out-and-out fake! There is no difference between those that forge autographs and those that authenticate "bad stuff" for lack of a better term, in my opinion. SCD is just as responsible because they refuse to write about it because they are in turn profiting from this cozy arrangement. An article that recently appeared in the New York Daily News that was written By Michael O'Keeffe and said article has been posted by one of your members states that Mr. Bushing said that he didn't know who used or more correctly who put the "cleat" marks on this bat. Basically, Bushing is saying that this is a used Ty Cobb decal bat, not a Ty Cobb used (game) bat. The bat currently has an outstanding bid of $37,000.00! Furthermore, it has been learned that Mr. Bushing used to own this particular bat which would explain why he wasv forced to cover himself with this ridiculous, falsified and contadictory LOA. When is this type of madness going to stop? He claims to dedicate his efforts to "keeping the hobby clean for generations to come." He misdated the DiMaggio glove that I recently wrote about by 25 years, a quarter of a century! Now we are to believe that he can date the DiMaggio "streak" bat to the exact and only week that the bat could have been used (07.10.41 - 07.17.41). He dates this "historically significant piece of......lumber" to have been used from 1911 - 1916 during the regular season. I just don't get it. Where money lies, integrity dies ... it's all about the Benjamins, dead presidents.

In advance, I would like to thank the members for their time, anticipated cooperation and consideration of these matters. I welcome any and all comments and/or suggestions, pro and con, for or against.