NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Question on PDF documents-- usability, preference, iphones, etc

Before long I will be issuing a hobby related e-book (not fond of that term) in pdf format. What do people think of pdfs. Also can pdfs be read on iphones and such? The book is 6x9 inches (paperback size). Does that make it more or less readable in pdf. Is there a best size for iphones, etc?

The point of this is to get user input and preferences while designing. If someone thinks pdfs suck royally, feel free to say so and why.

Lastly, there also will be a print/paper version for those who prefer it that way.

Thank you,
David

Last edited by drc; 02-03-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Fred

PDFs are fine. I couldn't imagine trying to read a book on an I-phone though. I guess there's some things I just wont embrace.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 AM

Fred, I don't have an iphone and know little about them. I don't even know if you can use a pdf on one, though a friend takes photos with hers.

Last edited by drc; 02-04-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Rich Klein

Default I prefer print where possible

If for no other reason; than as Bill James used to say in the 1980's.
"The book can be there to be picked up at any time"

However; I do understand the reasons for PDF's and e-book format. Space is certainly a consideration at all times as well

Rich
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Books on handhelds can be incredibly . . . well, handy! I would imagine that it depends on the format though.

Several years ago I read "A Christmas Carol" on my original Palm Pilot in the Palm Reader format. It was great, because it was always in my pocket and available when I had time.

I have no iphone experience.

Right now I use a Palm Treo with Windows Mobile for my phone and such, and although I can read PDFs, the nature of PDFs is not well suited for the device/OS, as it involves scrolling Left to Right, as well as Top to Bottom.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Jimmy

Default Question on PDF documents-- usability, preference, iphones, etc

anyone can download a PDF reader for free, so PDF files are the best format for e-books, some phones can read them depending on the internet service they have on their phones and what software can be built in. Many small notebooks, laptops can also read PDF files with no problems. Apple will have the new iPAD out soon which will be great for reading.

Jimmy
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Anthøny N. ex

you can open a pdf on an iphone.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default PDF's on iPhone

I use AjiReader on my iPhone. Not only do I have SCOBB in pdf format on it, I have all kinds of pdf's with huge databases of vintage BB card related data.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Good info. The proof is always in the pudding, so I'll test it out on my friend's device (sounds rather graphic, but it's okay she's a girl).

One thing I learned long ago is that though looks one way on your computer doesn't mean it looks that way on another. I used to hop from computer to computer to see how my web page looked. Good exercise, at least.

Last edited by drc; 02-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm not a fan of PDFs, but my wife likes them.

The good stuff is the free readers, and they keep the formatting for someone who wants to print the book/document/whatever.

The stuff I'm not crazy about may be something you could work around
The biggest one is that everyone does their pages the traditional print way, long sides vertical. Which doesn't display as well on a screen that's long sides horizontal.

So usually the document ends up needing to be zoomed in on just to be barely readable. The scrolling up and down is awkward then, and if you scroll too far you're on the next or previous page. It's like reading a book when you keep losing your place. (I've a bit of ADD, so it's probably not as bad for most people)

For amtting the text horizontally would probably fix all that, but I haven't seen it done.

Steve
Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Steve, good for bringing it up. That are some of the concerns I had before hand. It's possible I could issue it in different formats/sizes.

As I said, there will be a print version for those who require it that way. I myself prefer reading a paper book.

Last edited by drc; 02-04-2010 at 07:34 PM.