NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 01-01-2024, 10:38 AM

Default PSA Grading Conundrum

Happy New Year! I’m not quite sure of my path forward here (or if there’s a path) but would appreciate any thoughts. So here’s the situation…

A few years ago I picked up a 1998 Authentic Peyton Manning RC, graded a PSA 9. Just recently, I saw that Manning was signing at a show and I thought to myself, cool, I’ll break out the card, get it autographed, and then immediately drop it off at the PSA booth, fully recognizing that by breaking it out to get autographed it would be subject to the whims of re-grading but thought it a pretty solid 9 and would surely come back a 9. The front is exceptionally clean and the reverse does show very slight touch to a corner or two. Not that it mattered any but on the submission form I noted that the card had been a PSA 9, including the certification number as reference. Sure enough, the card came back from PSA graded an 8 - a full grade lower than what it had graded previously. This wasn’t the first card I’ve cracked-out so have become pretty proficient at it and the card was cracked out just prior to going to the show and was protected at all times, and as noted, handed-off to PSA at their booth at the show. I mention this as I took particular care during the process. Just leaves me wondering if the earlier 9 was the right grade or if the new 8 is the right grade. I think it might reflect PSA’s current tighter grading standard but it didn’t sit well with me. Also, as it had been a 9, I used the value of a 9 too determine the fee for the service so I’m now feeling like I got ripped on the cost of grading too. I shared this experience with PSA a few weeks ago but to date, haven’t heard back. What would you do? Submit again to PSA for a review? Just leave it? Keep pressing PSA? Anyway, appreciate anyone’s thoughts. Here are the pics from PSA of the card. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (204.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.jpg (207.3 KB, 276 views)
Old 01-01-2024, 11:34 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA did exactly what you asked them to. If you don't want to be banned in the future from submitting, you should probably leave them alone.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

We all know PSA cannot even reliably tell the difference between their own 8’s, 9’s and 10’s. It’s a gambling crapshoot, not a real consistent and honest grade. Either don’t submit and play this game, or just keep writing them checks until you get the grade desired, eventually you’ll get it.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

IMO, you have to use the throwing the 'challenge flag' metaphor on this one. If PSA checks the replay, i.e., re-examines the card, they would need “clear and obvious visual evidence” that their call was wrong. Do you think those tiny touches on the back corners (or possibly other factors) would preclude them from agreeing with you (and themselves for previously giving it a 9)? As frustrating as it is (and we all understand that, because we've all been the victims of the grading machine), I fear your attempt will just be a waste of (more) money.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
We all know PSA cannot even reliably tell the difference between their own 8’s, 9’s and 10’s. It’s a gambling crapshoot, not a real consistent and honest grade. Either don’t submit and play this game, or just keep writing them checks until you get the grade desired, eventually you’ll get it.
^^THIS^^ 8s, 9s, and 10s if sent back in could easily be graded any of the 3.

Also be careful because like swarmee posted they can and will ban you if you complain too much.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:48 AM

Default PSA question

Playball- I'll echo most of the sentiment expressed already. Your mistake was
assuming PSA would be professional and accurate. Heck, you even spoonfed
their own grade(!) and they still screwed it up. You've pretty much taken an
"L" on this one. Best advice- don't poke the bear again, because PSA is a bear
that is rabid and wasn't too sharp before the rabies began

Trent King
Old 01-02-2024, 09:37 AM
Bill Avery

Just be happy they authenticated the autograph and didn't give it a mark qualifier.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:07 PM

Default How it all ended...

Thanks to all that offered input. Just wanted to circle back and let you all know how this played out. I ended up taking one more shot at this with PSA, submitting the card for "review". The bottom line is that it came back with no change to the PSA 8 grade and I'm out roughly $150 for the cost of the review and shipping both to and from. Also, I never did get a response from communication with PSA.

If anyone from PSA is tracking these threads, I wonder if there couldn't be a new at-show service developed to help card owners getting autographs at shows and then reholdering the cards on-site? I would have been happy to pay a fee to do so and hopefully, protect the card's existing grade.

Again, thanks for all your input. The card, once a 9 in PSA's eyes and now an 8 is still a 9 in my eyes!
Old 01-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Jeff P

I always hate to hear these stories but the reality is that grading is not an exact science. Plus the difference between an 8, 9, and 10 is so small that it is very possible that if you submitted a card three times it could come back with a different grade each time. Particularly now with half grades.

jeff
Old 01-29-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA did exactly what you asked them to. If you don't want to be banned in the future from submitting, you should probably leave them alone.
Agree with John here.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:52 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

It looks like it's accurately graded as an 8, considering the bottom two corners on the back.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox