NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2024, 11:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Second time he has announced his departure in two days. I’ll set the over/under at Monday for his next post
Hes lurking, just hasn't posted yet

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-21-2024, 12:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Like Bogart, you were misinformed.
I'm shocked, shocked to find that lying and fraud is going on in here!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:49 PM
Ne@l K

Kurt used to cover the cert number in the videos. Did he get too brazen, or was it laziness?

The best card cleaners don't youtube that kinda thing in the first place...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-21-2024, 07:16 PM
Chase

I am sure PSA has banned him from submitting and there is a good chance they might have deactivated more of his submissions. I am not a fan of deactivating submissions or cards unless PSA is in possession of those cards who certs they are deactivating.

Most people do not check cert numbers on PSA's site prior to buying a PSA graded card so they have no idea they are buying something that PSA no longer recognizes as a legit card but they have put out legit money. The burden is then on the buyer to track down the person they bought it from to get a refund. GL with that.

And let's not think PSA deactivated those certs to keep the market clean and protect buyers. And if they did ban Kurt that too was not done to protect buyers. They do these things to anyone who embarrasses them.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:57 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I am sure PSA has banned him from submitting and there is a good chance they might have deactivated more of his submissions. I am not a fan of deactivating submissions or cards unless PSA is in possession of those cards who certs they are deactivating.

Most people do not check cert numbers on PSA's site prior to buying a PSA graded card so they have no idea they are buying something that PSA no longer recognizes as a legit card but they have put out legit money. The burden is then on the buyer to track down the person they bought it from to get a refund. GL with that.

And let's not think PSA deactivated those certs to keep the market clean and protect buyers. And if they did ban Kurt that too was not done to protect buyers. They do these things to anyone who embarrasses them.
Agreed.

Did they decertify the Wemby 1/1? That thing is forever tainted, at least for the next few days ... after that, stuff is usually forgotten

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-21-2024, 08:15 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

This certainly appears to have already been an embarrassing situation for PSA. It could potentially get far worse, too. Imagine if a significant number (hundreds, thousands, maybe more) of PSA graded cards begin to present signs of exposure to chemicals.

I can imagine something similar to the "greening" issue with '90s Finest/Chrome cards.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 04-21-2024 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:48 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
This certainly appears to have already been an embarrassing situation for PSA. It could potentially get far worse, too. Imagine if a significant number (hundreds, thousands, maybe more) of PSA graded cards begin to present signs of exposure to chemicals.

I can imagine something similar to the "greening" issue with '90s Finest/Chrome cards.
As sad as it is PSA is immune to consequences of any type, it seems. The 3 or 4 year period on Blowout with all those threads on altered cards that I could not keep up with after a short time was the height of damning. There had to be tens of millions of dollars in cards that were shown to be altered. Best thing ever for business for them. And the card doctors were more inspired afterwards to boot. Add to that the FBI shelving the investigation and look we we are now.

IMO, Kurt and his magic spray is a nothing burger for PSA and if cards start decomposing in the holders or whatever, we can send them in for review and I will bet the graders will stand behind the grades.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:09 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Agreed.

Did they decertify the Wemby 1/1? That thing is forever tainted, at least for the next few days ... after that, stuff is usually forgotten

Neal I do not know the whole story on the Wemby 1/1 but it is still active. https://www.psacard.com/cert/88489182

I heard someone (the submitter or someone with the submitter) in the lobby at PSA after they handed him/them the card back, did a shout out to Kurt's Card Care. If that is the basis for people saying it should be deactivated, that is weak, imo.

Again, PSA and all TPG, need to catch stuff. If they cannot catch stuff then, put a W in the card doctor's column. Maybe there is nothing to detect...at the time of grading.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:28 AM
Tony Baldwin

In the 70's, when collecting was so much simpler, we did have a guy who was known for pressing out wrinkles on cards, and he sold them at our local card shows. If someone was interested in a card that he pressed the wrinkles out, he always made buyers aware (we actually all knew him as the winkle guy), and he never charged more money than what the card would have been worth with wrinkles.

I didn't really think much of that being a bad thing back then. I'm sure more things were being done to cards back then, but never really thought much of it.

Today, this is crazy what's being done. So many cards being soaked, trimmed, re-colored, pressed out, etc., so I can see why the true card collectors are angry over it. Sad.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
In the 70's, when collecting was so much simpler, we did have a guy who was known for pressing out wrinkles on cards, and he sold them at our local card shows. If someone was interested in a card that he pressed the wrinkles out, he always made buyers aware (we actually all knew him as the winkle guy), and he never charged more money than what the card would have been worth with wrinkles.

I didn't really think much of that being a bad thing back then. I'm sure more things were being done to cards back then, but never really thought much of it.

Today, this is crazy what's being done. So many cards being soaked, trimmed, re-colored, pressed out, etc., so I can see why the true card collectors are angry over it. Sad.
For me, the issue isn't what's being done. It's the deception.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:46 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
+1. One may do whatever they wish with their property. It annoys me personally when people destroy unique uncut items and such, but my feelings don’t change whose property it is and what they are within their rights to do. Doctor a card, cut up a unique sheet, toss it into the fireplace and watch it burn, everyone may do as they wish with their rightful property. When they pass the problem to someone else with a coverup or series of lies, that’s where the problem is and is, of course, the entire point of the original alteration. It is done for profit, some by our regular scumbags who endorse defrauding people and advocate lying by omission or directly lying when selling.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It is done for profit, some by our regular scumbags who endorse defrauding people and advocate lying by omission or directly lying when selling.
But do these scumbags you refer to rise to the level of being "shady, deceptive, and disingenuous"?
Old 04-22-2024, 11:41 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorewalker View Post
but do these scumbags you refer to rise to the level of being "shady, deceptive, and disingenuous"?
100%
Old 04-22-2024, 12:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

The part highlighted in bold would not surprise me one bit if and when it happens. Just a matter of the passage of time. But as stated earlier, no matter how severe the eventual degradation, PSA will steadfastly stand by the grade.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 04-22-2024 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:55 PM

One can only imagine that if that does happen, the same reason will be given as what is said for newer baseballs with graded gem mint 10 signatures whose autographs fade over the years. "It looked different when we saw it.". Exactly the same. Easy does it. Two completely different situations, both "rationalized" using the same excuse.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 04-22-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
One can only imagine that if that does happen, the same reason will be given as what is said for newer baseballs with graded gem mint 10 signatures whose autographs fade over the years. "It looked different when we saw it.". Exactly the same. Easy does it. Two completely different situations, both "rationalized" using the same excuse.
Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-23-2024, 07:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
And the answer is always the same, "money" or better known as, greed. How many times have we seen it in the hobby?

This hobby has all of the right conditions for fraud to be rampant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liars.jpg (196.2 KB, 387 views)
Old 04-23-2024, 07:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yep. The unholy alliance of card doctors, TPGs and AHs. Perfect storm.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:57 PM
Chase

Quote:
Yep. The unholy alliance of card doctors, TPGs and AHs. Perfect storm.
The trifecta of shady, deceptive, and disingenuous.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:11 PM

There's also a healthy dose of hypocrisy that abounds (unless everyone here collects and trades exclusively in raw cards). Hmm, I'm not hearing the sound of a single slab bening cracked. Surprise, surprise.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:17 PM
Daryl

Quote:
There's also a healthy dose of hypocrisy that abounds (unless everyone here collects and trades exclusively in raw cards). Hmm, I'm not hearing the sound of a single slab bening cracked. Surprise, surprise.

I don’t follow. Are you saying raw cards are somehow less susceptible to card doctoring fraud? And how would cracking out cards alleviate this?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Sure is. I have many many thousands of cards and maybe 10-12 graded cards. Is that too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I don’t follow. Are you saying raw cards are somehow less susceptible to card doctoring fraud? And how would cracking out cards alleviate this?
I believe he is referring to those that complain about grading but collect mainly high grade PSA cards. If so I also find it hilarious. If not it is far from the first time I am wrong.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:35 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I’ve cracked thousands of slabs, and don’t have more than a couple dozen graded cards that sit in my trade bait bin. I’ve posted a pic before of a few hundred slips I’ve liberated.

Am I cleared to continue shitting on the scammers, liars, fraudsters, and dishonest people ripping people off or advocating why it’s okay to lie and cover up?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:53 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I believe he is referring to those that complain about grading but collect mainly high grade PSA cards. If so I also find it hilarious. If not it is far from the first time I am wrong.
Card altering is far from limited to high grade cards so not sure what the anonymous guy was referring to. Also fail to see any hypocrisy by those who have posted here being against card altering. To boot there are plenty of ungraded cards out there for sale that are altered. One just has to look on eBay.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Card altering is far from limited to high grade cards so not sure what the anonymous guy was referring to. Also fail to see any hypocrisy by those who have posted here being against card altering. To boot there are plenty of ungraded cards out there for sale that are altered. One just has to look on eBay.
I have no issue with it if that's what people want to do, but I have never understood why removing a card from a slab is some sort of virtuous act.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:23 PM
Chase

Quote:
I have no issue with it if that's what people want to do, but I have never understood why removing a card from a slab is some sort of virtuous act.
First, I am not sure if the comment he made was directed at people who have posted here being against card altering or those who have written they are against the failure of the seller to disclose the efforts made to clean up a card upon offering the card for sale.

But I agree, I am not sure how one is not a hypocrite if they buy a graded card and break it out but they are if they don't break it out. In both cases that buyer is supporting grading. And it implies or suggests that buying raw somehow makes you immune from buying an altered card...at the end of the day I guess you cannot be labeled a hypocrite so there is that.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
First, I am not sure if the comment he made was directed at people who have posted here being against card altering or those who have written they are against the failure of the seller to disclose the efforts made to clean up a card upon offering the card for sale.

But I agree, I am not sure how one is not a hypocrite if they buy a graded card and break it out but they are if they don't break it out. In both cases that buyer is supporting grading. And it implies or suggests that buying raw somehow makes you immune from buying an altered card...at the end of the day I guess you cannot be labeled a hypocrite so there is that.
I guess if you just focus on cracking out cards it does seem weird.

I more believe it to be people that constantly complain about PSAs horrible grading but collect PSA graded cards, those that complain about the AHs but buy most of their cards there, switch out AH with eBay, or those that complain about shill bidding but post about buying/consigning with known shillers. I see it as more like those examples.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I more believe it to be people that constantly complain about PSAs horrible grading but collect PSA graded cards, those that complain about the AHs but buy most of their cards there, switch out AH with eBay, or those that complain about shill bidding but post about buying/consigning with known shillers. I see it as more like those examples.
So unless I only buy raw cards on the BST, or from anonymous locals at shows, I can't be pure?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-23-2024 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

As it is not only possible but common to collect, trade and sell raw cards honestly and it is not only possible but common to collect, trade and sell graded cards honestly, I don't get any logic behind this new complaint. I wouldn't expect much logic though, there has to be something thrown in to attempt to delegitimize any advocacy of honesty and disclosure regardless of how little sense it makes. I'm sure we'll be back to pretending that taking 2 seconds to disclose the truth of a card when selling is just so complicated tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:10 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
There's something completely unlikable about a guy who just shamelessly lies over and over and over. Every single post (and that's not really an exaggeration) is either a humorously over-the-top brag, oft granting himself inhuman powers, or defending defrauding people and ripping them off. When he does have a fair point, he immediately ruins it by following up with a lie, fraud, or a stupid brag that should be embarrassing. It's entertaining, but it's pretty sad after awhile.

Let's see your proof, Snowman, for your posted claim that Lorewalker is lying about his identity.

If it works for a political candidate, why not a card collecting, gambling expert, data scientist card doctor?

"If you don't clean your cards, you don't love your cards as much as I love mine." - TT

Last edited by Deertick; 04-23-2024 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:13 PM
Chase

Quote:

I just don't see this as black and white as that. And not sure the anonymous guy knows each of our buying habits, etc...only snowman has that ability...to make such a generalized statement.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
So unless I only buy raw cards on the BST, or from anonymous locals at shows, I can't be pure?
This is why I only collect pre-war cards in the 1-5 range, give me caramel and tobacco stains, bumped corners, and wide borders any day of the week. Anything over a 6 is suspect to me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-24-2024, 04:59 AM

Ben got the joke. That's all it was. See his breakdown of it. It was a general comment, not particularly directed to altering at all.

I have about 150,000 pieces. Perhaps 40 are slabbed and came to me that way. I can't stand their clunkiness or the fact that they take up so much space when they would take no room whatsoever in raw form, but we know the game: it will be easier to find new homes for them in their tombs. So yup, I can be included amongst the hypocrites, too! I would have added that to the post, but figured I'd do so shortly afterward!

And Greg, good on you for all that cracking!
Old 04-24-2024, 06:46 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
This is why I only collect pre-war cards in the 1-5 range, give me caramel and tobacco stains, bumped corners, and wide borders any day of the week. Anything over a 6 is suspect to me.
Looking through Blowout's listing of altered cards there were plenty of 1's & 2's
that were turned into 3's & 4's.
I seemed to remember a bunch of Leaf's Jackie, Musial & Joe D. cards that were suspect, & that resulted in big money upgrades
You have to have balls to work on a T206 Wagner, not so much on a lower valued card like a Johnny Mize
Old 04-24-2024, 06:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
As far as I am concerned anyone can collect anyway they want. With the weird oddball stuff I collect/hoard I have no room to talk about how or what anyone collects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Looking through Blowout's listing of altered cards there were plenty of 1's & 2's
I seemed to remember a bunch of Leaf's Jackie, Musial & Joe D. cards that were suspect, & that resulted in big money upgrades
You have to have balls to work on a T206 Wagner, not so much on a lower valued card like a Johnny Mize
It is amazing how many don't seem to understand EVERYTHING at every level is being faked/altered/counterfeited/forged. It is far from just the high end stuff.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:50 AM

Default I am a not-so-innocent bystander, but

I feel that on most of the issues discussed in this thread, the path to the high moral ground has a lot of slippery slopes -- and a lot of competition.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:54 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post

Where can one find this list? Thx

Old 04-24-2024, 10:17 AM
qualitycards

Quote:

It wasn't a list that I read it from
Moreso many posts here on N54 that showed links to various shenanigan's that Blowout uncovered
That's where I saw the '48 Leafs
Old 04-24-2024, 10:26 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Did anyone else hear that GM was at the last Philly Show walking around?
Old 04-24-2024, 11:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Did anyone else hear that GM was at the last Philly Show walking around?
And why not? Nothing has changed.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a great comment, Keith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
I feel that on most of the issues discussed in this thread, the path to the high moral ground has a lot of slippery slopes -- and a lot of competition.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I don't know how current this is, but see here:

https://www.tiffanycards.com/buyer-beware

From this thread:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289859
Old 04-24-2024, 02:21 PM
Drew W@i$e

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...?noredirect=on

I wonder if they are still investigating.... 5 years later
Old 04-24-2024, 04:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/6eee106...a-333201cdcad1

Old 04-24-2024, 04:45 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Read my signature.

It's still an enjoyable hobby to me, not a business.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-24-2024, 05:06 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post

Snowballs chance in hell….it’s over
Old 04-25-2024, 09:27 AM
Daryl

“EXPLOSIVE INTERVIEW: PSA President Ryan Hoge on Card Cleaning, New Slabs, AI Grading & More!”

Skip ahead to 38:38 for the card cleaning question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfuICkhi4s
Old 04-25-2024, 09:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think most on this forum agree with Ryan's take on cleaning cards, me included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
“EXPLOSIVE INTERVIEW: PSA President Ryan Hoge on Card Cleaning, New Slabs, AI Grading & More!”

Skip ahead to 38:38 for the card cleaning question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfuICkhi4s
Old 04-25-2024, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9badYsGaCU0

Old 04-25-2024, 01:04 PM
Tony Conte

Quote:

Great video and spot on!