NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2022, 10:15 AM
Bill Roberts

Default Has anyone received an invoice for Hunt's April 22 auction?

I was texting last night with a hobby friend from the east coast who has an advanced Boston Celtics collection. He was high bidder on a half-dozen items in Hunt's auction that ended Friday, April 22 and said he still hasn't received an invoice. Said he called last week and was told "We haven't been able to send invoices yet" but the person wouldn't elaborate when has asked what that meant. Two of his emails since then have gone unanswered. Has anyone here who won items in that Hunt auction 12 days ago received an invoice?
Old 05-04-2022, 10:26 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I received my invoice from the Hunt Live auction on Monday, April 25th, paid via wire the same day, and received my winnings on Thursday, April 28th.

Last edited by glchen; 05-04-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I received mine on 4/25 also.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-04-2022, 01:10 PM
Bill Roberts

Thanks guys. Sounds like my friend is in a one-off situation.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:02 AM
Robert Williams

Has anyone received their items from the last Hunt Auction???
Old 07-27-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Has anyone received their items from the last Hunt Auction???
I called them a couple days ago about their internet/phone auction. The nice young lady told me their shipping guy had a "death in the family" and that I was "way down on the list." It's been 2 weeks since my check cashed so I'm willing to be patient but their shipping over the past year has left A LOT to be desired.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I called them a couple days ago about their internet/phone auction. The nice young lady told me their shipping guy had a "death in the family" and that I was "way down on the list." It's been 2 weeks since my check cashed so I'm willing to be patient but their shipping over the past year has left A LOT to be desired.
Pretty much I was told as well....I would hope they would have more than one shipping guy though??
Old 07-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I had a very unacceptable experience with Hunt's most recent auction where I was the winning bidder and then my bid was cancelled (???) and someone on the floor got my item for the same bid I made on line. I'm pretty pissed off. Waiting for more information but whether that's on them or Invaluable that's an entirely unacceptable result and frankly stinks to high heaven. I've supported their auctions the last 3-4 years but this has left a bad stench and no one can really tell me anything.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-27-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:51 PM
Sonny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I had a very unacceptable experience with Hunt's most recent auction where I was the winning bidder and then my bid was cancelled (???) and someone on the floor got my item for the same bid I made on line. I'm pretty pissed off. Waiting for more information but whether that's on them or Invaluable that's an entirely unacceptable result and frankly stinks to high heaven. I've supported their auctions the last 3-4 years but this has left a bad stench and no one can really tell me anything.
Did you get a confirmation that you had actually "won" the item? If not, it sounds like a "tied" bid. If there were two or more bidders who bid the same amount, obviously only one of the bidders can actually get that exact bid amount and it sounds like the "floor" got the bid amount first.

If you got a confirmation that you won, then most likely a clerical error by whoever was executing the bid. No auctioneer wants to miss a bid intentionally.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:17 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I did not get an email I won.

But my bidding record with time stamp shows my bid first, and then my bid cancelled for some reason, and after that a floor bid.

At least that’s how it reads to me.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:17 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I've participated in their last few live auctions. After reading the rules regarding pre-bidding, I have decided to not make any pre-bids, but to do all my bidding live. This section of the rules bothered me the most, and it sounds like what happened to you:

In the case of tie absentee bids, the first bid placed will be given priority. Lots open at one increment above the second highest ceiling bid, and not at the high bid. Therefore, it is rare, but possible for a live bidder to win a lot for an amount equal to an absentee bidder’s left bid. Due to the nature of incremental bidding, Hunt Auctions will not be held responsible for this occurrence.

A problem I had in one of their earlier auctions is that when the high bid came up, I wasn't 100% certain it was MY pre-bid. So, to be sure, I placed a higher live bid, and later wondered if I'd needlessly bid against myself.

Bottom line, I love their auctions, they run well on auction day, they are one of the few (with Heritage and Grey Flannel) that consistently come up with a good amount of GU flannels, but all I use their pre-bidding for is to cross items off my spreadsheet when the pre-bid amount passes my target on an item.

I might add that I emailed them questions on 4 of their flannels, and it resulted in them updating their descriptions on 3 of them. In one case, a 1955 shirt that was described as original had, in fact, a plastic zipper.

Last edited by Mark17; 07-27-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I've participated in their last few live auctions. After reading the rules regarding pre-bidding, I have decided to not make any pre-bids, but to do all my bidding live. This section of the rules bothered me the most, and it sounds like what happened to you:

In the case of tie absentee bids, the first bid placed will be given priority. Lots open at one increment above the second highest ceiling bid, and not at the high bid. Therefore, it is rare, but possible for a live bidder to win a lot for an amount equal to an absentee bidder’s left bid. Due to the nature of incremental bidding, Hunt Auctions will not be held responsible for this occurrence.

A problem I had in one of their earlier auctions is that when the high bid came up, I wasn't 100% certain it was MY pre-bid. So, to be sure, I placed a higher live bid, and later wondered if I'd needlessly bid against myself.

Bottom line, I love their auctions, they run well on auction day, they are one of the few (with Heritage and Grey Flannel) that consistently come up with a good amount of GU flannels, but all I use their pre-bidding for is to cross items off my spreadsheet when the pre-bid amount passes my target on an item.

I might add that I emailed them questions on 4 of their flannels, and it resulted in them updating their descriptions on 3 of them. In one case, a 1955 shirt that was described as original had, in fact, a plastic zipper.
Thanks. I saw that and called off my bid. I wish someone would have called them about the 1959 Lou Boudreau Athletics Cap, of which Boudreau was no longer with the team.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Thanks. I saw that and called off my bid. I wish someone would have called them about the 1959 Lou Boudreau Athletics Cap, of which Boudreau was no longer with the team.
Interesting, but my “winning” bid was placed during the live auction and for some reason cancelled. They say I must have canceled it but didn’t. Was thrilled to “win” it.
Supposedly I will hear more when people get back from the national. Whatever. Makes it extraordinarily unlikely I will participate again in another one of their live auctions. Seems that people in the room where it happened somehow get better treatment.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-27-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:34 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I thought I was very fortunate to get the 1948 Washington shirt & pants for my $1400 bid. It had a team number change, so not 100% original as issued, but sill way more authentic than a plastic zipper on a 1955 jersey. It amazes me that a 74 year old uniform, a one-year style, sells for so little relative to cards.

My other key win was the 1953 Philadelphia A's shirt, pants, and hat ensemble, all original, for a bid of $2750. I also landed a few others, but missed out on some that went over my target (1951 Reds, 1956 Brooklyn, Sam McDowell.)

Eventually, hobbyists will collectively (pun) "get it" and vintage shirt values will get to the point they should be. Until then it's a blast collecting them.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I thought I was very fortunate to get the 1948 Washington shirt & pants for my $1400 bid. It had a team number change, so not 100% original as issued, but sill way more authentic than a plastic zipper on a 1955 jersey. It amazes me that a 74 year old uniform, a one-year style, sells for so little relative to cards.

My other key win was the 1953 Philadelphia A's shirt, pants, and hat ensemble, all original, for a bid of $2750. I also landed a few others, but missed out on some that went over my target (1951 Reds, 1956 Brooklyn, Sam McDowell.)

Eventually, hobbyists will collectively (pun) "get it" and vintage shirt values will get to the point they should be. Until then it's a blast collecting them.
That's funny and congrats on the gorgeous '53 Athletics Uni. It was a single-year style and just a beauty. Coincidentally, I was high bidder literally for weeks until you snagged it in the Invaluable portion. A great acquisition!
Old 07-27-2022, 06:36 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Interesting, but my “winning” bid was placed during the live auction and for some reason cancelled. They say I must have canceled it but didn’t. Was thrilled to “win” it.
Supposedly I will hear more when people get back from the national. Whatever. Makes it extraordinarily unlikely I will participate again in another one of their live auctions. Seems that people in the room where it happened somehow get better treatment.
Hunts has pretty bad customer service even at their retails stands which are at the Pirates and Phillies stadium. They were to put me in touch with the MLB authenticator at PNC Park back in May and after several follow ups, Im still waiting. Also, last season had a few requests that never went answered. Kind of just gave up on them.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:41 PM

Quick question gentlemen (though not related to Hunt, but rather, another auction house). How long is too long to wait for payment on a consigned item?

I consigned an item that sold at an auction that concluded over seven weeks ago, but I have yet to receive payment. When I inquired I was told that the winning bidder has yet to pay. Really? Sounds strange to me: is this a common occurrence? And don't auction houses have protocols in place to ensure bidders don't balk on their commitment?

At what point should I simply ask for my item to be returned to me, because frankly after seven weeks I doubt very much that the winning bidder has any intention of paying.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

7 weeks is startling. Never heard of that. My experience is a month is typically outermost limit of what most AH manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysblue View Post
Quick question gentlemen (though not related to Hunt, but rather, another auction house). How long is too long to wait for payment on a consigned item?

I consigned an item that sold at an auction that concluded over seven weeks ago, but I have yet to receive payment. When I inquired I was told that the winning bidder has yet to pay. Really? Sounds strange to me: is this a common occurrence? And don't auction houses have protocols in place to ensure bidders don't balk on their commitment?

At what point should I simply ask for my item to be returned to me, because frankly after seven weeks I doubt very much that the winning bidder has any intention of paying.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysblue View Post

Agree that their payment policy and communication are both sub-par. If they continue to put you off, I hope you'll let the forum know who to avoid when considering future consignments.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:27 PM
Justin

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I placed my bid during the live auction, it said I was the high bidder. Lot closed, on to the next lot. The next day I logged back in and it said the floor won at the same price as my bid.

Quote:

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 07-28-2022, 03:28 PM
Jeremy W.

When bidding on Hunt Auctions live, you need to request a phone call, if possible. They seem to favor live bidders more than the internet. I'm not a fan of Hunt, but they have some great material coming through.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
When bidding on Hunt Auctions live, you need to request a phone call, if possible. They seem to favor live bidders more than the internet. I'm not a fan of Hunt, but they have some great material coming through.
+1 on all counts. If they had mediocre stuff, they’d be much easier to ignore.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:33 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

For what it may be worth, I won a lot in a Hunt auction for the first time during last week's online auction. I received an invoice the next day (Thursday), paid via Zelle that same day, and received notice that the cards shipped via FedEx on Monday. They arrived safely this morning. So no complaints on my end, in my (admittedly) limited experience.