NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Buy it Nows....still popular?

Posted By: Chuck R

When eBay started using Buy it Now a few years back, it actually made my life a lot more stressful. Whereas before I could search items every 2-3 days, I now had the feeling (and still do to some extent) that if I didn't scan 3-4 times a day I'd miss the gold mine Buy it Now. I actually did hit one gold mine a couple years ago. On a Sunday afternoon, I picked up a complete 48 card 30's nonsports set for $25 (probably worth close to $800). I ended up buying some more great old, nice condition cards offline from the seller. I ended up giving the person some extra cash so I could sleep at night.

Anyway, that's only happened once in the years since eBay started Buy it Nows. I rarely see any Buy it Nows that I am tempted to bid on. Are there few of them out there? Are there still tons of them but I'm missing them all (yes, the old paranoia remains)? Has anyone else been affected by this incessant need to search since BINs came out? Better end this...must search.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nathan

I think there's less BINs now since EBAY changed it to a tiered pricing.

As one who sells occassionly, I do notice myself skipping the BIN step more often.

Before it was 5 cents flat fee. Now it is:

US$0.01 - US$9.99 US$0.05
US$10.00 - US$24.99 US$0.10
US$25.00 - US$49.99 US$0.20
US$50.00 or more US$0.25

Old 06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I never especially cared for BINS, especially after I started selling cards on the forum. If I was looking for a set price, I'd just throw the card in BST.

On Ebay, BINS are so easily "sprung" they're not even worth placing on the auction without a large reserve. A single bid wipes out your BIN which makes it totally pointless in most cases. So in order to protect your BIN, you have to stick a large reserve on your card. I don't know what it is about using reserves, but I'm less motivated to bid on cards that have these. I don't know why. But I've had several collectors agree with me that they are somewhat of a deterent.

So, knowing I may be scaring away buyers that are considering bidding on my item by placing a reserve on the card, I usually just do away with both the BIN and the reserve and let the Ebay community decide how much my card is worth. My cards tend to go cheap for some reason so I think the lesson I've learned here is use the BST pages whenever possible. The BST pages vs. Ebay is an entirely different thread topic altogether, so I think I'll just stop there.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I search them everyday. I have noticed a seller that has been listing some everyday and my self and another board member have pick up a few of his lots. Good fillers at a fair price and of course the lots save on individual shipping so, I still keep looking. Out

Edited to add this. I bought the lots @ $8 a card. Someone put a bid on a 5 card lot before I saw it. BIN was $40 and the auction ended at $102. Go figure

"I had the right to remain silent. I just didn't have the ability" Ron White

Old 06-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

No doubt?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Administrator

And what was your opinion of the cards?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Administrator

...the seller had me scared for a bit because he was purchasing reprints from Lindascards, as well as authentic cards from reputable sellers. So my first lot of 38 I was worried would come back half fake. But they were all original. And he had mis-listed 5 of the cards as minor leaguers, when in fact they were southern leaguers. By and large, nothing would grade over a 2, but there was one card out of 38 that might grade a 4.

I just won another group of his cards today. I wish he would just sel his whole collection to me for $8.00/card. It'd be a swell deal.

But it was all risky, I should note, because none of the cards had scans.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I thought it was risky too W/O the scans. I also won another lot today, lol. Of the 9 cards I won, 2 should grade 4. with 5 in the 2 range.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Administrator

...because I think more often then not I am able to get more for my cards when I start them at $.99 with no BIN ceiling. But sometimes I'll put a dream price on cards that I have a high reserve on, just to see. Once in awhile, I get lucky. About two months ago, I sold 10 T206 cards graded PSA 4-6, some HOF, some not. I estimated, on a good day, that I'd get $1700 for the lot, if sold individually. So, before I listed the cards individually, I put them all up in a lot of 10 with a BIN of $2,000 in a 24 hour auction, with a minimum bid of $1899. Well, sure enough, I got a $2,000 bid within a few hours. Best sale I ever made -- and the reason I may stay a Power Seller for at least a few more weeks!

As a bidder, I love BIN, and keep my eyes open pretty often. But you have to get lucky, because if something is a really good deal, it'll be gone before you ever knew it existed.