NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Default E91 Hans Wagner Question

Is there another series of cards that has Hans Wagner in the same pose as the E91 Hans Wagner, standing with bat, which is the same as the E91 Tinker standing with bat? If so, which one(s) and a scan would be most welcome.

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Phil Garry

I'm not an expert on this but don't believe there is any other Wagner card like that one.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default don't think so

I don't think there are any other poses like that one either. Of course other Wagner poses are used on a whole bunch of sets, many being the same pose.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Default Wagner by name only

There is no other Wagner pose as seen in the E91C set, as the Wagner E91C is actually an artistic rendering of Tinker's face placed on a generic body.

Brian
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Another mystery solved - for me anyway.

Yea brianp-beme, they are too similar, with just the faintest of details that make them different. Mostly the lettering on the cap of Tinker and a mole at the right of his lips.

Actually, I'm still questioning this.
On this card, his right eye seems to have been "filled in" and the left eye seems to be looking left, which is different from what I have. It may be just a blemish on the card or a bad scan and I don't have a scan at the moment, so can someone with this card do a comparison?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-E91-America...#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Default A cross-eyed mole is never a Hans

The artwork between the E91A, E91B and E91C sets was not changed, just the names. So any moles, crossed-eyes or other seeming variations are just the result of the quality of registration, printer's defect or the scan of the card. In my opinion the E91C Honus Wagner is Wagner in name only, unlike (for example) Christy Mathewson in the E91A set, which actually depicts Mathewson...do a search and locate the E91 article thread and you will get the full story of my theories on these sets.

Brian
Old 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default E91 Honus Wagner

[linked image]

I agree with the previous post here that this pix of Wagner appears to be unique in the bigger picture of Wagner cards.

The real question is....is this really Wagner and not some other player that the American Caramel Co. pictured on this card ?

I don't know of any source photo of Wagner for this pose.

TED Z
Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Barry Sloate

It doesn't even look like Wagner, but as Brian said it does look like Tinker. As we've said on previous threads, some E91's look pretty close to the player depicted, such as Plank, and many don't. Wagner is clearly one that doesn't.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Anthøny N. ex

While we're on the E91c Wagner, I've got a question- i've got this one, which has proof marks, but I'm sure it's not a proof. It if was a T206 I'm sure it would go thru the roof, but what is the deal with these? I've seen a few with the reg marks, and at the same time I've got a few uncut strips without them.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:52 PM

anthony -

I have seen those marks on various caramel issues.

It is very strange to me.

I can't think of a great reason why a printer would want or need those marks so close to the artwork.

My best guess:
Sometimes if a printer is forced to print on a sheet that is too small to include the marks and a bleed area - they will put marks within the artwork (to help registration / or as a guide for cutting / in your case - registration). After the pressman gets the press going and is happy with the results / the marks will be polished out (erased from the plate) and the print run will continue. So... the cards with the marks - - like your card - - would be from the beginning of the print run.

It is very interesting.

Last edited by bijoem; 12-28-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM

Thanks guys! Impressive, a forum with a search engine that actually works. Well, I'm 99.99 percent sure that what I have is a trimmed (missing position and team name) E91 Wagner, which is weird because none of the other cards in my collection, from the same person, are trimmed.

Quote:
So any moles, crossed-eyes or other seeming variations are just the result of the quality of registration, printer's defect or the scan of the card.
You're probably right Brian and I've probably been looking too closely at these, but the Ted Z scan and the one in the auction looks so different in the eyes, eye brows and lips that I thought there might be a variation. Neither one of them look exactly like my card, but I see this has been discussed before and that there is a general agreement on this set. It looks to me like a different artist showed up to work each day

Thanks for rehashing this for my benefit.