NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengoughingForAwhile View Post
Who is this Giannis you speak of?
He’s the Milwaukee Bucks 1st team All-NBA Forward and MVP frontrunner. Modern basketball, his rookies included, are some of the hottest cards on the planet.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot69 View Post
He’s the Milwaukee Bucks 1st team All-NBA Forward and MVP frontrunner. Modern basketball, his rookies included, are some of the hottest cards on the planet.
Oh, I see. I'm sure he, Lew and the Big O make a very formidable "Big Three".
Old 05-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Anyone here buy this psa 6 leaf Jackie?

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1852

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

ouch
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1866

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I think Brent was part of the 'buyer's club' that ran/shilled prices up. Why? To give an appearance that PWCC cards command higher prices. PSA was pushing heavily on advertising these record prices, too.

When the buyer's club was outed, Brent went of defense and made some posts to try to clear the air and do damage control.

Then came the next best thing: PWCC assigning grades to already graded cards. It was ludicrous, but I guess it worked as it kept the premiums coming.

Now an altered '52 Mantle exposes hundreds of other altered cards and trimmers and there is an apparent connection between one of them and Brent.

Brent again goes on defense, possibly knowing the level of fraud that took place and wanting to get ahead of it goes on record trying to link/normalize it to restoration and conservation, which it is not.

The common denominator here is Brent/PWCC.

If anyone on the Blowout forum is reading this, please look into the Topps Bobby Hull rookie, Topps/OPC Wayne Gretzky rookies, and 1989 Topps Joe Sakic rookie. There have been some phenomenal examples come to light in the past three years offered by PWCC. The 1989 PSA 10 Sakic stayed at a POP 2 for YEARS and then suddenly got flooded. Hull (a notoriously OC card) has had some clean centered ones slabbed in this time, and the Gretzky cards have been graded with too nice of edges.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post

If anyone on the Blowout forum is reading this, please look into the Topps Bobby Hull rookie, Topps/OPC Wayne Gretzky rookies, and 1989 Topps Joe Sakic rookie. There have been some phenomenal examples come to light in the past three years offered by PWCC. The 1989 PSA 10 Sakic stayed at a POP 2 for YEARS and then suddenly got flooded. Hull (a notoriously OC card) has had some clean centered ones slabbed in this time, and the Gretzky cards have been graded with too nice of edges.
I sent this along.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:02 PM
John Startleman

Everyone should be worried about this. It affects the very reputation of the TPG who grades or graded YOUR cards. It's a direct negative reflection on the integrity of EVERY PSA and BGS graded card. If they can't or won't catch alteration, what the hell good are they. This renders third party grading essentially useless, beyond card protection. You can't trust a grade. If you aren't worried, your'e oblivious. Every card now carries a stigma of possibly being trimmed by these criminals. Criminals who have been handed a means to commit fraud by TPG's not doing what is supposed to be their core objective.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 05-27-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:00 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
I think Brent was part of the 'buyer's club' that ran/shilled prices up. Why? To give an appearance that PWCC cards command higher prices. PSA was pushing heavily on advertising these record prices, too.

When the buyer's club was outed, Brent went of defense and made some posts to try to clear the air and do damage control.

Then came the next best thing: PWCC assigning grades to already graded cards. It was ludicrous, but I guess it worked as it kept the premiums coming.

Now an altered '52 Mantle exposes hundreds of other altered cards and trimmers and there is an apparent connection between one of them and Brent.

Brent again goes on defense, possibly knowing the level of fraud that took place and wanting to get ahead of it goes on record trying to link/normalize it to restoration and conservation, which it is not.

The common denominator here is Brent/PWCC.
Agree with all, but in bold

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-27-2019, 11:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's a lot of border trimmed off.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yeah let me change ouch to my preferred word these days. Mercy.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Yeah, a good sized chunk of cardboard fell to the cutting room floor. And it's a really bad trim job, at that...

Look at that awful, obviously altered right border. Nice job, PSA
Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Robert Williams

Is that board really legit? I thought Matt Miller was banned from subbing to PSA. Not for trimming, but a beef he had with them involving a card that they damaged during grading.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:30 PM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

This past weekend I noticed a nice Ty Cobb pin PWCC was selling. Based on the craziness surrounding PWCC lately, it made me look a lot closer at the pin. I noticed that the back rim was an untarnished brighter silver in appearance. Thoughts on the pin? Am I being paranoid??

I decided NOT to bid on the auction.

Last edited by sayheykid54; 05-29-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:12 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
This past weekend I noticed a nice Ty Cobb pin PWCC was selling. Based on the craziness surrounding PWCC lately, it made me look a lot closer at the pin. I noticed that the back rim was an untarnished brighter silver in appearance. Thoughts on the pin? Am I being paranoid??

I don't know of the sale, but rust and corrosion is what you look for on the back on antique pins because it's a sign of authenticity. A shinney backed 1880s-1910s tobacco pin would be out of the ordinary.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:38 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post

No, it's probably fake.. like the signed Jordan Jersey.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Anyone here buy this psa 6 leaf Jackie?

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1852
That's a weird one.

Ordinarily I'd say they aren't the same card, as the 6 is tighter to the holder top and bottom but thinner side to side.

But the fibers/print marks on the back are exactly identical.

All I can think of is that the holders are slightly different sizes on the inside.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's a weird one.

Ordinarily I'd say they aren't the same card, as the 6 is tighter to the holder top and bottom but thinner side to side.

But the fibers/print marks on the back are exactly identical.

All I can think of is that the holders are slightly different sizes on the inside.
soaked and stretched (pressed) is always a fun possibility
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-27-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I'm really surprised that no Net54 members have fessed up to purchasing any ofthese doctored cards. Maybe they're too embarrassed to admit it?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:38 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
I'm really surprised that no Net54 members have fessed up to purchasing any ofthese doctored cards. Maybe they're too embarrassed to admit it?
Its a small community...maybe noone here bought any presented ao far. Certainly no reason to be embarrassed...the cards were holdered by the most trusted tpg’er on the planet.