NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-09-2022, 07:27 AM
Scott Russell

Default Most underated multiple times batting champs?

Not really trivia but interesting to think about.

To me three jump to mind.

Mickey Vernon, who between his accomplishments and his service time interrupting his prime is a borderline HOF'er that gets no love.

Pete Runnels - interestingly part of one of the most even trades of all time that benefited nobody. Sox and Angels, Runnels for Roman Mejias, both of whom never produced again. Runnels coming off a batting title and Mejias coming off a very solid 24 HR season.

Bill Madlock - 4 Batting titles, 0 respect.

Who else?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-09-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:43 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Willie McGee
Old 08-09-2022, 07:45 AM

First guy that popped into my head was Ferris Fain, other than his two batting titles he only hit .300 one other year. ETA, oops, I guess he would fall under most overrated .

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 08-09-2022 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-09-2022, 07:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Bill Madlock

.... ah, somehow overlooked him on your list . . . .

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-09-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:53 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Willie McGee
Willie only gets there with an asterisk though. Eddie Murray actually led the majors in hitting the year of McGee's 2nd title but Willie won the batting title in the NL due to a timely trade to the A's. He had enough at bats to be official in the NL where he hit .332 but his batting average with the A's was enough to drop him to .324 for the season. Murray hit .331 for the Dodgers and Brett hit .329, so Eddie Murray led the majors in batting without winning a batting title. Numbers are from memory, so they may not be perfect, but they demonstrate the phenomenon.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-09-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:54 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
First guy that popped into my head was Ferris Fain, other than his two batting titles he only hit .300 one other year.
Good call, almost a Pete Runnels clone except he took NO walks if I recall correctly.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:05 AM
James M.

While not necessarily underrated, I feel Wade Boggs does not get a whole lot of respect nowadays. Maybe it was due to his lack of power, I'm not quite sure but I feel like he's not talked about enough.

A more recent pick would be Nomar. Guy was an absolute terror at the plate.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:14 AM
Jeremy

Paul Hines - 2 Batting Titles - 0 Respect

First triple crown winner and first to ever pull off an unassisted triple play (allegedly). Legend.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:18 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
While not necessarily underrated, I feel Wade Boggs does not get a whole lot of respect nowadays. Maybe it was due to his lack of power, I'm not quite sure but I feel like he's not talked about enough.

It does seem Gwyyn gets a lot more love, even though if I was drafting a team today and I could have either of them for the careers they put up I take Boggs. I've also always wondered why the Red Sox delayed his development so long. Two full seasons at AA and Two more full seasons at AAA even though he produced right away at each level. Accounts for his relatively late start at age 24.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-09-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Good call, almost a Pete Runnels clone except he took NO walks if I recall correctly.
Fain had one of the highest walk rates of all time. Runnels’ was above average but probably 50% lower. As such Id say Fain is the most underrated.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
It does seem Gwyyn gets a lot more love, even though if I was drafting a team today and I could have either of them for the careers they put up I take Boggs. I've also always wondered why the Red Sox delayed his development so long. Two full seasons at AA and Two more full seasons at AAA even though he produced right away at each level. Accounts for his relatively late start at age 24.
The Red Sox weren't exactly run by geniuses in those days, sadly.

He was blocked by Carney Lansford at 3B, but still...he was clearly ready for the big leagues earlier than he was promoted there, as you suggested.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Fain had one of the highest walk rates of all time. Runnels’ was above average but probably 50% lower. As such Id say Fain is the most underrated.
Thinking of Don Mueller. Another guy who ALMOST won two batting titles but came up a little short 2x and NEVER walked.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post

He was blocked by Carney Lansford at 3B, but still...he was clearly ready for the big leagues earlier than he was promoted there, as you suggested.
Lansford actually comes super close to making the list missing out on a second title to Puckett by .003

Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 AM

Larry Walker. I know he's a HOFer now, but it wasn't ever a foregone conclusion. He won 3 batting titles and while the Colorado discount will always be there, he didn't win 3 batting titles hitting home runs.

Last edited by packs; 08-09-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:12 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Tony had that Barry Bonds like bump from age 34 to 37 when he had by far his best 4 year totals. Before that Wade was by far the better player but he didn't have that boost in his mid 30s Tony had.

Bill Madlock did win 4 batting titles but was very underwhelming other than that great feat.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:26 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post

I'd argue they weren't run by geniuses for a long time. Yawkey refusing to integrate until the bitter end prevented them from winning a couple of titles in the 50's and 60's for sure.

Donscards.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

I agree with Boggs. I think his personality had a lot to do with the relative lack of love for him. People were always emphasizing his faults. As I used to say during his prime, he's the worst .350 hitter ever.

Madlock, meh.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-09-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:18 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Edit: I’m an idiot, my guy didn’t win the 2 I thought he had.

Last edited by G1911; 08-09-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:26 AM

Tony Oliva - led league in Batting Avg. 3 times
Old 08-09-2022, 01:01 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Larry Walker. I know he's a HOFer now, but it wasn't ever a foregone conclusion. He won 3 batting titles and while the Colorado discount will always be there, he didn't win 3 batting titles hitting home runs.
Colorado improves averages too though as they made the outfield huge in order to combat the home runs so there's a lot more square footage for balls to fall in. Not hating on Walker, but even his splits show a marked difference. Here are his three Batting Title seasons plus 1997 where he was close.

YR Home Away
1997 .384 .346
1998 .419 .302
1999 .382 .374
2001 .406 .293

So one batting title year was close, the other two are over .100 apart, and the near miss is a fairly standard home road split.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:02 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Tony Oliva - led league in Batting Avg. 3 times
I know it took him forever to get in, but hard to call a HOF'er underrated.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:17 PM

Still think Larry’s underrated though. Home runs come mind first but I’d be surprised if the majority of people know he won 3 titles. That’s a marker for being underrated right?
Old 08-09-2022, 01:22 PM
James M.

Lefty O'Doul would fit the bill for this conversation. Led the league twice once with a .398 average and the other with a .368 average. Even more impressive was the fact that in 1929 season he had 254 hits!

Pretty incredible that he was a .349 hitter for his career. Shame he didn't start his career as a hitter, as well.

Donscards.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:29 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Willie only gets there with an asterisk though. Eddie Murray actually led the majors in hitting the year of McGee's 2nd title but Willie won the batting title in the NL due to a timely trade to the A's. He had enough at bats to be official in the NL where he hit .332 but his batting average with the A's was enough to drop him to .324 for the season. Murray hit .331 for the Dodgers and Brett hit .329, so Eddie Murray led the majors in batting without winning a batting title. Numbers are from memory, so they may not be perfect, but they demonstrate the phenomenon.
Very good one Scott I forgot about Eddie Murray and the trade. Great story that one

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-10-2022, 12:30 PM
GaryPassamonte

Ross Barnes- 3 titles
Old 08-10-2022, 12:34 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Ross Barnes- 3 titles
Yes! And finished top three in two other years, if I'm not mistaken.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-10-2022, 09:47 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Agree on Ross Barnes and Olivia.
I would posit two of the most underrated HOF hitters are Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew. Gwynn is tied with Wagner for most NL batting titles with 8 and can be included in the goat discussion. Carew had 7 titles, both are relegated to mid-tier or less in collectors minds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-11-2022, 07:28 AM
Steve White

Default Multiple Batting Titles

Joe Mauer had 3 batting titles:2006 at .347, 2008 at .328, and 2009 hit
.365. Playing catcher all three years. Side note as a high school
senior was the National Player of the year for football (QB) and baseball.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

Hell yeah, Boggs was under-rated. Check out his 1987 season and then explain to me how he came in 9th in the MVP race.

He's a modern statisticians dream player.

Boggs was also much better defensively, then he ever got credit for. Even in his earlier years when he was getting charged with a lot of errors, his range factor was always excellent.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 08-11-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Hell yeah, Boggs was under-rated. Check out his 1987 season and then explain to me how he came in 9th in the MVP race.

He's a modern statisticians dream player.
Totally! That man was all about taking walks before it was cool
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-11-2022, 10:34 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Pete Rose gets a lot of love for longevity but the man had some serious years, including at least 3 batting titles (I think that’s it).
Old 08-12-2022, 12:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Those AA years he was behind Butch Hobson, who was a fan favorite and when he didn't have elbow problems was a good fielder.

The AAA seasons the sox had Glenn Hoffman in 1980 but Boggs had just got to AAA In 81 Carney Lansford won the batting title.

The Sox at the time weren't all that good at player development, often keeping major league guys around much longer than most teams would today. In a way Boggs may have benefitted from not being the guy replacing Hobson, which would have come with a bit of stress from comparisons. And also sort of lucky to miss being in the strike in 81. When he came in there was no stigma, and he eventually replaced a guy who hit well in a short year but not in full seasons.

I'm not sure, but there may have been gaps in his game he needed to fix before really being ready.