NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Precious Metal Gems -- this time red

I sort of get the Green, but there are 100 of each Red, yet this Duncan RC is already well over 8K. Seems high for a not so rare card?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Metal-...oAAOSwb-JcqlsQ

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If Nats Turner doesn't have it for his set yet, it will go higher.

Update: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...timeset/244589
He already has a 9 of Duncan, so he's likely not in the bidding for this one.

Here is his green /10 set:
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...timeset/267505
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 04-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Not sure if you saw this, Peter, but a Red metal gems PSA 6.5 Jordan sold for $63,100 back in late March as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Univer...p2047675.l2557
Old 04-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Not sure if you saw this, Peter, but a Red metal gems PSA 6.5 Jordan sold for $63,100 back in late March as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Univer...p2047675.l2557

(speechless)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today
And black's white today
And day's night today
When most cards today
That hoop guys buy today
Are just inserts made for show

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-10-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:52 PM
je.sse @rnot

It is interesting that a set no one really cared about when it was released gained such a following among modern collectors. The few 90s insert baseball cards that go for decent money today like 93 finest, 96 select mirror parallel cards, etc were quite popular when they were released.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I remember in the 90s the Precious Metal basketball cards were very desirable and fairly valuable.

Basketball inserts are quite valuable these days as Asian and European collectors are putting a lot of money into that side of the hobby.

Baseball cards don't have the same worldwide desirability, at least cards produced after 1980.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
I remember in the 90s the Precious Metal basketball cards were very desirable and fairly valuable.

Basketball inserts are quite valuable these days as Asian and European collectors are putting a lot of money into that side of the hobby.

Baseball cards don't have the same worldwide desirability, at least cards produced after 1980.
This is 100% accurate.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 PM

The NBA is much more popular outside of the states than within it.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:

Is there anywhere to find numbers or data on foreign collectors or the money they spend (or some other proxy)? I’ve read this line of thought a few times, and while there is logic to it and it SOUNDS right, I’d be interested to see something to back it up empirically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
The NBA is much more popular outside of the states than within it.
I don't watch anything but the Finals now.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Is there anywhere to find numbers or data on foreign collectors or the money they spend (or some other proxy)?
1) PSA just opened up an office in Japan. It's not all because of Pokemon.
2) Huge money in the modern basketball segment (as mentioned); go to blowoutforums.com and check their basketball forum and you can find plenty of high rollers from Asia.
3) Topps makes additional product of big releases (like MLB Bowman Draft, Transcendence) specifically for sale in Japan, some cases costing $25,000 each. Along with that, you got to meet Shohei Otani at a special event in Los Angeles.
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sh,=asia+exclusive,ot,i100

Last edited by swarmee; 04-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

From what I read I was under the impression they weren't that popular at release, and picked up a following a few years later. I did not collect basketball at the time so I don't know either way from any firsthand experience.

I doubt we will see a similar modern set ever match these pmgs in terms of popularity or prices realized.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
From what I read I was under the impression they weren't that popular at release, and picked up a following a few years later. I did not collect basketball at the time so I don't know either way from any firsthand experience.

I doubt we will see a similar modern set ever match these pmgs in terms of popularity or prices realized.
Cult-like following, it seems.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Ben H

Default Precious Metal Gems -- this time red

Not that it makes a difference to the larger point, but as this may be the only time I ever contribute new info to a net54 thread..... though numbered to 100 there are 90 of each red. PMGs #1-10 are green and #11-100 are reds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nonsensename1; 04-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:10 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default briefs

Anyone found the 1/10 auto card out of the Jordan Briefs packages, what will they bring $500-1,000,000 each?
Old 04-12-2019, 03:52 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

No, those won't go nealy as high, as they're unlicensed cards and have Hanes written on them; I'd guess none tops $5,000. Jordan auto cards pictured in a Bulls jersey sell for a multiplier compared to ones in plainclothes or UNC duds.

Last edited by swarmee; 04-12-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:30 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
No, those won't go nealy as high, as they're unlicensed cards and have Hanes written on them; I'd guess none tops $5,000. Jordan auto cards pictured in a Bulls jersey sell for a multiplier compared to ones in plainclothes or UNC duds.
But in 100 years it's the new Boston Garters.