NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Default Favorite idiotic "selling points" on ebay

Posted By: Rob

Leon has been encouraging us lurkers to post (I've done so just once before), so I thought this might be a fun topic for a quick thread.

What's everybody's favorite "selling point" on card listings? I'm amazed at some of the ridiculous things people will say about cards they're selling to try to pump up interest.

The one that always makes me chuckle is "plastic screwdown holder included." Wow! I'll be sure and set my snipe high to make sure I get that worthless hunk of plastic. I

Other favorites?

Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

1) The Story Revolving a Phony Card. It's amazing how many estate and garage sales sell phony Plank's and Wagners.

2) The Overblown Retail Price. A seller will announce that the retail price of a card is $8,000 or a PSA9 just sold for $12,000. Too bad the one you are selling is a PSA1 and worth about $150.

3) People On Ebay Who Say In The Title: "E92 Ty Cobb Not T206" or "E92 Ty Cobb SGC30 Not PSA". It messes up my searches and I end up throwing a minor fit.

DJ

Old 08-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Near mint value is 8k (ok, why dont you tell me what the book says the value on a psa 1 is).

Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

1. I don't anything about cards or the 1911 George Close E94 Ty Cobb that I'm selling. So, since it's ungraded, I'll have to list it as a reprint. However, this beautiful card will be the pinnacle of your collection.

2. A set of these rare reprints just sold for over $1,000!!

3. T206 Wagner MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. My most recent favorite "LETS SEEE WHAT YOU WILL BE BIDDING ON!THIS IS A SMALL BASEBALL CARD, HONUS WAGNER VALUE $100,000.00
1910 TOBACCO CARD. I FOUND THIS IN A OLD HOME THAT I GOT TO CLEAN UP WITH OTHER ITEMS THAT MAYBE ON EBAY AT A LATER TIME AFTER SOME RESEARCH.

WITH A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH I FOUND IN THE 2006 GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS, A PICTURE THAT LOOKS LIKE IT.

I'M NOT SURE OF WHAT THE CARD IS TRULY WORTH, I'M JUST AT YOUR MERCY,

FRONT AND BACK OF MY CARD IS SHOWN THIS WAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE FOR YOUR SELF.

SO LETS GO STEP UP TO THE PLATE & BID...

WISH I COULD TELL YOU MORE BUT NOW IT'S UP TO YOU AS MY BIDDERS TO PUT THIS VALUE ON IT.

He even mentions that the value of the card is printed right on the back of it!!!! Yet, people still bid it

Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

My biggest pet peve is stating the book value in an auction peroid.

I really enjoy it when they reference a price from beckett and the date is two years old.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

There's a guy who's been selling T206s recently who claims that the T206 is the

"penultimate issue in the hobby."

Technically, that means there's only been one more issue in the hobby since 1911.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

DJ's #1 is old... garages, grandpas, attics, cigar boxes...

#2, well I'd like to sell these guys some cards at the prices they quote.

But DJ's #3 is the one trick I find annoying. If I'm looking for it, the "not" preceeds it.

One item I hate is the CD of old card images listed amongst the old cards. Maybe if a bunch of us, one week, decided to email the sellers and eBay about items listed in incorrect catagories we might make a difference. (I know it would make no difference...) Those CDs and reprints listed in the old stuff are an annoyance.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i got a few email complimenting me on my humor when this went up....

http://cgi.ebay.com/t3-TURKEY-RED-CABINET-CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-no-creases-t-3_W0QQitemZ5233837617QQcategoryZ86840QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the description is 100% accurate.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

..."but this in no way detracts from...."

Old 08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Andy, you should send it to PSA and see if they'll grade it!

Old 08-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

this clown has a new slant on the grading company's rejection of his obvious reprint. http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-Ty-Cobb-Red-Portrait-vg-condition_W0QQitemZ5233747131QQcategoryZ86840QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Andy, I kinda fancy the crease free Mathewson, I have a bid in! Hope I win him.

Have you other crease free cards like this one?

Frank.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hi guys and julie
there are others from the original "scissorhand" collection, but i only purchased the matty.

think a grading company would pedigree that one?

Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McD

Ought to acknowledge the dirtbag who clutters up the vintage card category with pictures cut out of books. "All items are Authentic 100% Original from the Exact Year Stated . . . This item is from 1909 Spalding on paper stock with partial text on the back . . . AUTHENTICATED AND GRADED BY BSVA."

Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Administrator

amen to the book cutting.

I hate seeing the guide photos, and they kindly keep the bidder's identity private, so we can't warn them off.

The guy that cut up the 1933 Speed Johnson Who's Who book, he should burn in a Farenheit 451 fire...

Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Oh, I forgot about the "cutters".

There has to be a special place in hell for them!

DJ

Old 08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian Anderson

this, "The scan does not show all defects, please look closely at the scan." Can you say oxymoron? Why should anybody bother looking closely if the scan doesn't show all defects? What is their point? I see it often and question immediately.

Damian

Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

What happens when a Turkey Red meets the ultra sophisticated technology of today's world?

The ultra rare Die-Cut T3 Matty Parrallel Masterpiece - only one in the world like it!

Can you please write 1/1 on the back?

Old 08-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: al davis

the worst: when the seller goes on a long jag telling me what a wonderful player honus wagner was, and steals a few paragraphs out of the baseball encyclopedia confirming the player's hof status, but totally ignores any description of the card. almost as bad: "this card will make a wonderful addition to your collection" (gee, thanks! and i thought i was buying the card to use as a five-day deodorant pad!).

Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

There's a guy selling a T206 Wagner reprint right now. He admits it's a reprint, but his selling point is that dealers have offered him $150 to $400 for it. What a fool he is for not taking these offers.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Andy, how dare you not give me a shot at the Matty to ad it to my rare, die-cut collection. It would go well right along side my t3 Devlin

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris McAlister

The worst selling point is not the sellers, it's the uneducated bidders that fuel this frenzy of reprints and get rich quick buys that keep the scammers in business. How about ebay hires someone to regulate the card market.A dream job. The catagory is certainly big enough and lord knows we pay enough in user fees that ebay should be able to afford it's users some protection!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"God Bless You"

Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

doesn't show them. For instance, the Yeungling's Ice Cream Gehrig and the E92 Dockman Matty on the black on my 20th century page have creases, which you can just barely see, though they are obviuous when you look at the cards. I guess when i sell them, I just have to describe the creases...

Old 08-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

Several years ago, I purchased/won an auction on eBay of a T206 in poor condition. The seller said in the description they would ship in a protective plastic holder. When the card arrived in a #10 envelope, I found my card, wrapped in Saran wrap, and sealed in a treat-sized zip-lock bag. No cardboard, no padding, no nothing, except the protective plastic.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Chris McAlister perfect post! I have been sayingthis for years! I submitted it a million times to ebay's joke of suggestions. I said something to BC who works for ebay and he said ebay doesn't recognize an expert in the vintage card field but that this exact "house cleaning" is going on with stamps! Let's see, I have been collecting 37 years and ebay has been up and running 8 years, yea I guess they are right, no experts out there. You know how easy it would be to clean the vintage card category up? Send out a generic bullsh$t form letter stating why the sellers bogus deceivable auction was sh$tcanned. I don't get it. Easily fixable yet ebay isn't interested. Dan.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

What needs to happen is a wealthy investor (preferably a card collector) with influence who owns eBay shares or knows someone who does, starts to make noise with the upper management and the board. Then something will get done about the reprints, photo CD's and some of the scumbag sellers.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

I shied away from a green Cobb the other day on ebay which said that it was among a large group submitted for grading, most graded but some came back trimmed or not authentic. He didn't say in the ad if the Cobb were trimmed or not authentic. The card looked great and I found out from the seller too late that it was one of the trimmed ones. I think it would help if a seller would be more specific on why a grading company rejected a specific card instead of a generic blanket description...

Old 08-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

taking responsibility would mean taking responsibility. Ebay currently hides behind the fiction that it is merely a conduit between buyer and seller and that it has no liability for garbage being sold as real because it tells you up front that it doesn't police the site. Now we all know that is a fabrication because ebay does in fact police the site to a limited extent, but the powers that be at ebay find it convenient to engage in the fiction otherwise. Would it be the responsible, good corporate citizen type thing to try to police the category so you don't end up an accomplice to fraud? Yes. But don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Until eBay gets hammered by a judge with some common sense and a grip on reality, eBay will continue to do what they do. You can rest assured though, that once they get hammered, they will be cleaning house real fast and the rats will be leaving the ship and headed for Yahoo auctions where they really do live by the fiction that eBay claims to live by.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.