NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Gary saw it coming??

https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/sport...-will-explode/

came across this....2 years ago
Old 12-24-2020, 11:41 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
While I think he was probably right to some extent back then, the pandemic just doused an unbelievable amount of gasoline on the fire and took the market (at least the modern market) to heights that nobody could truly have imagined. It's been covered ad nauseum here and other places around the Internet, but I do believe there will be some sort of correction when life (hopefully) gets back to "normal." A good number of new or reborn collectors will stay and continue in the hobby, but the allocation of funds back to vacations, restaurants, sporting events, etc. will inevitably cause a slowdown or correction.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Nick Pascal

I think it's a combination of the pandemic as well as "influencers" like Gary V kind of speaking it into existence. Once they started to put some hype behind sports cards as an investment vehicle and a way to make money, it basically turned into a runaway train.

I personally think the gains on high grade vintage HOFers will hold a large percentage of their increase once things start to calm down again. Things like the modern basketball card market, however, I feel are built on sand and are ready to topple at some point. Luckily I was grabbing up some Ja Morant stuff before the pandemic started, and those cards are ridiculously priced right now.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnp22 View Post
I think it's a combination of the pandemic as well as "influencers" like Gary V kind of speaking it into existence. Once they started to put some hype behind sports cards as an investment vehicle and a way to make money, it basically turned into a runaway train.

I personally think the gains on high grade vintage HOFers will hold a large percentage of their increase once things start to calm down again. Things like the modern basketball card market, however, I feel are built on sand and are ready to topple at some point. Luckily I was grabbing up some Ja Morant stuff before the pandemic started, and those cards are ridiculously priced right now.
I agree, but who will be the last fool standing with all his overpriced modern basketball?
Old 12-24-2020, 01:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Some segments already crashing. Some are still going strong, amazingly. Some are crashing once all the cards come back from PSA. We'll see if the same level of customer interest is there six months later and with 10,000 more Shaquille O'Neal RCs in slabs each month. At some point people have to run out of money, right?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Modern basketball has a fervent following around the world that MLB can only dream of. Basketball is a world wide phenomenon.
Not disputing that the Michael Jordan Shaq stuff hasn't gotten on board the crazy train. The supply of these cards is plentiful. Every catalog I get now has 35 pages of Jordan cards. Have to assume the post TV series rush has peaked.

QUOTE=Yoda;2049249]I agree, but who will be the last fool standing with all his overpriced modern basketball?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-24-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: q
Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM
octavio ranzola

Old news
Old 12-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Many of us saw it coming. Not surprising in the slightest. I'm actually glad for the boom to hopefully get more kids involved.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Some excellent posts here and I agree a hundred-percent!

Just recently, a good Toronto buddy of mine offered me a beautiful PSA 6 Chamberlain rookie, but I had to pass on it. Why? This was one of the cards that got "pumped up" so high, and now it's coming down. The question is, when will this decline stop? Anyhow, it was tough passing on such a nice card, but I knew it was the right thing to do.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Some segments already crashing.
This is the history of our hobby. There are some card brands/years/types that have exploded in popularity in the past only to lose popularity later. Im thinking of Wheaties as an example. But luckily, popularity moves on to another sector.

Some recent pushes such as photos and postcards are riding waves now. But there are a lot of collectors hoping the wave ends and prices come back down. A few collectors on this site have publicly said they are taking breaks from certain sectors of the hobby because they're no longer within budget when just 18 months ago it was a very different experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 12-26-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:31 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Yes. Yes, I did see it coming.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Rob

Luka Doncic cards seem very pricey to me. I'm surprised there are not more start-up companies making a bunch of 1/5's with his picture on it.