NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2020, 09:20 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default Thank you Mr. Kellogg

Growing up in suburbia as a kid collecting baseball cards Kelloggs 3D cards were a big thing, new and shiny like a Cadillac right off the lot, I would implore my Mom to get as many boxes of Corn Flakes as would fit in the cart. Of course, that resulted in one whole box in the cart, but I was allowed to pick out the box and I knew that particular box was the one that held the coveted “Say Hey Kid’, the great Willie Mays.

Once a week at the Grocery I would conjure up the spirits of my long dead forefathers, singing the songs of my people, looking for guidance on which box of Corn Flakes to choose, only to be disappointed when I removed that baseball card from the box. No Mays again, nor ever for that entire summer.

I was thoroughly convinced there was an Evil Cabal of loading dock workers in Battle Creek Michigan conspiring to send pallets of Corn Flakes with nothing but Dick Drago & Bill Parsons cards to my particular grocery store, no offense to the Drago/Parsons families but jeez, just once couldn’t I get a Juan Marichal or Willie McCovey?

Then a strange thing happened in my 6-block card collecting universe. The Kelloggs All-Time Greats 15 card set. At first glance they were mesmerizing images that literally jumped off the card, an actual Babe Ruth card that you could touch, flip over, and see that amazing number “714”, Cy Young “511”, Lou Gehrig “2130”…

And unobtainable.

You see, Mr. Kellogg was no dummy, there was only two ways to get those cards. Sending money to Battle Creek for the whole set or buying high end Danish that the cards were inserted in. Neither of which was happening in our household anytime soon. Ah, but there was a third way, I spent the remainder of the Summer trading, flipping, cajoling, threatening, whatever I could do to get my hands on those cards. Obsession would be an understatement. Grand total in my possession by seasons end? -2- Cy Young & Lou Gehrig.

So I suppose I should thank you Mr. Kellogg for a summer long diet consisting solely of Corn Flakes and planting the seeds of pre-war card collecting ruin in the mind of an innocent child…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 Kelloggs Gehrig.jpg (14.5 KB, 957 views)
File Type: jpg 72 cy young.jpg (8.0 KB, 945 views)
File Type: jpg 72 Kellogs Corn Flakes box.jpg (69.9 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg Danish-Go-Rounds-Baseball-Card-Offer.jpg (46.4 KB, 958 views)
Old 11-07-2020, 08:05 AM
pete ullman

I had that all time great set as a kid...my only examples of these all time greats. They were the first cards I had in my hof binder. Long gone with the passage of time!

Perhaps time for a new set!!!!
Old 11-07-2020, 10:39 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I still have my set in the original binder. It was the prettiest set I had ever seen : the greatest players ever , great pictures in a 3D background , good career summaries plus a facsimile autograph that started me writing to HOFers and players for autographs.
I ate a bunch of Danish Go - Rounds that summer , and thankfully our neighbors helped out too by giving me a couple cards for the set .
Old 11-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Ryan Phi

I was born and raised in Battle Creek and can remember the smell of cereal most mornings. Had many friends parents work at the company and we would get all kinds of free cards etc. However I have no idea where there’s are located now.

Tickets/Stubs:
Hank Aaron 714 HR
Hank Aaron 715 HR
Gehrig Appreciate Day
Shot Heard Round the World
1975 WS Game 6
1st All Star Game 1933
1986 WS Game 6
1988 WS Game 1
Dents HR 1978
Harvey Haddix May 29, 1959
Babe Ruth Called Shot
1955 WS Game 7
Bartman Game - Cubs
Billy Goat Game - Cubs
Black Cat Game - Cubs
Ray Chapman Hit
Brett Pine Tar Game
Merkles Boner
Old 11-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Mark Macrae

About the only thing that spoiled the summer of '72 for me was the frustration of trying to finish that relatively small set. Mickey Cochrane eluded me until late summer. I remember being force-fed those Danish Go-Rounds, as I came from a family that did not believe in wasting food, and those Danish Go Rounds really stretched the definition of food....... About a year and a half later, when I attended my first sports collector's show, you could buy a full set for a dollar....
Old 11-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Danish Go-Rounds were Pop-Tarts on steroids. Loved 'em and the cards. I am still piecing together the set. I think I am down to one card. They are getting harder to find uncracked in nice shape for a reasonable price.

I have a box back; would love to find a complete box.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-07-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:53 PM

For me it was Raisin Bran, got a new box every week and a card. Later I ate my share of Twinkies as well for those panels.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:05 PM
Fred

Twinkies sold in packs with the individual card were like the Cracker Jack cards that preceded them 60 years before. The stains on the cards give'm a little bit of character.

Neat post - it was a fun read. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2020, 05:07 PM

No packs for me. I ate them by the box....
Old 11-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Kellogg's and Hostess cards are my youth and still actively collect them..
Old 11-07-2020, 05:45 PM
pete ullman

YES!!!! Kellogs and hostess! MY dad worked for ITT...who owned hostess...products were abound. I never even knew there was a rold gold set just like the kelloggs all time greats until adulthood!!

Do they all curl over time???
Old 11-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Hank Thomas

Somebody only had to eat one box to get this, but thankfully they chose not to cut it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0923 (800x600).jpg (75.3 KB, 750 views)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Somebody only had to eat one box to get this, but thankfully they chose not to cut it out.
Cool item, Hank. I don't recall ever seeing one of these when I was young. It had to be issued before the end of the 1953 season, because Mickey Vernon won the AL batting title in 1953, and this is not mentioned on the cereal box.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:43 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
It had to be issued before the end of the 1953 season, because Mickey Vernon won the AL batting title in 1953, and this is not mentioned on the cereal box.
Interesting to see Nationals used -- except for T55 and T56, baseball cards were very consistent in the use of Senators.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
YES!!!! Kellogs and hostess! MY dad worked for ITT...who owned hostess...products were abound. I never even knew there was a rold gold set just like the kelloggs all time greats until adulthood!!

Do they all curl over time???
We collected them out of the packages of rold gold pretzels. As I recall you could see who you were getting so it made the set easier to complete. We ate alot of Corn Flakes and Pretzels growing up.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:02 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Looks like this one is SGC Slabbed? What does the flip say and where did you find it? Pretty Cool!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:30 AM
Mark

I've been trying to complete the 1975 Kelloggs set but they all seem to crack worse than any other year. They're impossible to find in nm

Otherwise I have a complete run if Kelloggs 1970-1983, Hostess panels 1975-1979 and Hostess Twinkies 1975-1977
Old 11-08-2020, 06:59 AM
Mike

The 1975 set is impossible to collect in top condition because they crack easily. Many of the slabbed cards also are cracked. Don't buy based on the grade, because they may crack later. They are hard to find in top condition , and if you do, they will be cracked the next time you look at them. I put together over 5 sets over the years and I looked at them a few months ago and almost 100% of them are now cracked. I wasted a lot of monery. They were in binders. I have all the other sets including the 1971 Set with a total of 194 variations ( including both dated and undated copyrights).
Old 11-08-2020, 01:28 PM
David M.

I only had one of those cards as a kid, but it was a Ruth so I was happy to get it. I guess my mom wouldn't keep buying the cereal, because I never got another. I don't remember ever seeing the danish. I finally had to buy the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 1.jpg (79.0 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 2.jpg (78.7 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 3.jpg (80.5 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 4.jpg (78.4 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 5.jpg (78.3 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 6.jpg (77.6 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpg All Time Greatest 7.jpg (79.7 KB, 616 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 11-08-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Cool item, Hank. I don't recall ever seeing one of these when I was young. It had to be issued before the end of the 1953 season, because Mickey Vernon won the AL batting title in 1953, and this is not mentioned on the cereal box.
I noticed that, too, Val. I'd guess early 50s up to 1953 before the season was done, but the window is '47-53.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Interesting to see Nationals used -- except for T55 and T56, baseball cards were very consistent in the use of Senators.
Really? I'm not a card guy, but for other stuff, like pennants, pins, etc., which is what I collect, I'd guess the greater use of Nationals over Senators through 1956, when they officially changed the name to Senators. And what are T55-56s, don't think I've heard of those before?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Looks like this one is SGC Slabbed? What does the flip say and where did you find it? Pretty Cool!
It's in a frame, not slabbed, and the "flip" is the inside of the cereal box, which is plain cardboard. This was the outside back of the box. I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Larry Moe

I have several packages of the cards that the company sent me from all the years I never opened them they are still in their mailing containers. After seeing these posts I am thinking about unpacking them to see if they are ok or cracked. They are up in the attic somewhere.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:57 PM
qualitycards

Great thread
Here's my 1978 Kellogg's box

Old 11-08-2020, 06:30 PM

I'm enjoying this thread, as I'm another one that collected the Kellogg's cards when they were issued. I never saw the Danish Go Rounds cards when I was a kid, I would have made my mom buy them if I did, but I did pick up a cheap set a few years later. I ate so much of the cereal in the 1970s that I will never eat another box of Frosted Flakes again. I offered all my friends a nickel a card and one friend would bring me a lot, often 3 or 4 at a time. Finally I asked him how he was getting so many. He told me he had a bunch of brothers and sisters.

At a National Convention one year, a guy was selling original artwork for the Kellogg's cards, and I bought a few. I probably should have bought more as they are pretty cool. Here's one for Randy Jones.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I loved collecting these as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2020, 04:03 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
And what are T55-56s, don't think I've heard of those before?
I think (but I haven't done any research), that all of the post war cards use Senators except 1955 Topps and 1956 Topps, which use Nationals.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Some box panels:

My Danish Go Rounds back panel:

Box 'cards':

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Anyone remember the 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes poster offer on the back of the box? I cut those out into individual cards and still have them. No insignia's on the players caps or uniforms though which I didn't care for.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Anyone remember the 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes poster offer on the back of the box? I cut those out into individual cards and still have them. No insignia's on the players caps or uniforms though which I didn't care for.
That Nabisco set is so raw & gritty, perfect images for the turmoil of 1969. It's really quite a unique set.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:18 AM

There's a complete box of 1969 Team Flakes on Ebay for $6,000.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:45 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

My family is huge, so there were a ton of us kids running around, and a never-ending supply of sugary cereals. During summertime, I learned one lesson and I learned it fast. Get up first and check the amount of cereal left in the open boxes. (We weren't allowed to open a new box just to grab the 3-D card, we had to wait until one was empty and then it was open warfare between my brothers and I to get to the bottom of the box to grab that wonderful three dimensional treasure it held.) Having this reconnaissance meant that if the Corn Flakes were low enough to possibly be finished off by the next kid, I would sit in the background and wait for one of my siblings to start pouring a bowl...and when they started doing that 'final shake' to free the last remnants of sugary goodness from the inner waxy bag, I would spring to life and say something like, "Oh, that one's done. Let's open this new one, so I can eat too!" Before they knew what hit them, I was staring at a fantastically shiny new Ralph Garr card!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Funny you mentioned Ralph Garr, Darren, as that's the Kellogg card I most remember getting. On a short family driving vacation in early 1972, we bought a box of Kellogg's cereal and I plucked the Ralph Garr card out of the box. At that time, I thought I knew all the major league players, but I had never heard of Garr, that's the first time I saw a card of him. One of the Kellogg sets had a card of Tony Horton, that was a guy that was never on a Topps card.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:36 AM
Pete S.

Count me in as part of the Kellogg's and Hostess card craze back then. My parents were definitely aware of the fun and willing participants trying to help me build sets and get the Yankees I wanted. We ate a lot of sugary cereals and snacks those summers. Luckily, I had a bunch of non-collecting siblings who helped plow through all those treats at lightning speed!

Last year, pre-COVID thank goodness, my mother had back surgery, and I returned to the house I grew up in to visit and help care for her for a week. As she was a bit wiped out and slept a lot, I spent time digging through my folks' basement and lo and behold found a few 5000 count boxes of vintage commons and minor stars (woo-hoo!) and all my Kellogg's and Hostess! Sadly, it appears I convinced my folks to let me hand cut most of the Hostess myself, and they're not in the best shape... but to me they're gold! lol

Now, next time I'm home I need to box them up and flat rate them across the country to my house!

Last edited by swabie2424; 11-15-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:08 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabie2424 View Post
Count me in as part of the Kellogg's and Hostess card craze back then. My parents were definitely aware of the fun and willing participants trying to help me build sets and get the Yankees I wanted. We ate a lot of sugary cereals and snacks those summers. Luckily, I had a bunch of non-collecting siblings who helped plow through all those treats at lightning speed!

Last year, pre-COVID thank goodness, my mother had back surgery, and I returned to the house I grew up in to visit and help care for her for a week. As she was a bit wiped out and slept a lot, I spent time digging through my folks' basement and lo and behold found a few 5000 count boxes of vintage commons and minor stars (woo-hoo!) and all my Kellogg's and Hostess! Sadly, it appears I convinced my folks to let me hand cut most of the Hostess myself, and they're not in the best shape... but to me they're gold! lol

Now, next time I'm home I need to box them up and flat rate them across the country to my house!
What a fun thread, the kind of collecting stories we need more of here.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:25 PM

The two Mays boxes are from my childhood — the others were picked up along the way.
For a couple of summers we went through a lot of Corn Flakes in my house.
Greg

Last edited by sayhey24; 11-21-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Here's what happened when a card was missing from the box

Occasionally, a box of cereal was missing the card. Since I had to eat the cereal for a week to get each card, that could get a kid pretty mad. There was a remedy, though.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

That's a great letter.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Scott Russell

Our sugar rush baseball card fix came from Drakes Cakes. Was bummed when they started printing them on the boxes, took all the fun out of it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-23-2020, 07:35 AM
Hank Thomas

Non-sports, but very cool, from 1947!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kellogg's box 1947.jpg (70.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Kellogg's 1947 box 2.jpg (67.9 KB, 241 views)
Old 09-12-2022, 08:24 AM
David

Default Willie Mays 1971 feature boxes

Salute to greatest living player
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie Mays 1971 Kellogg's (3).jpg (198.4 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by OldSchoolBaseball; 09-12-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBaseball View Post
Still looking for more Kellogg's boxes and paying top $
FYI, this isn't the section for this kind of post. There is a BST area for that. If you have any questions please PM me. thanks
Old 09-12-2022, 08:53 AM

Ty Cobb is described on his card as the "Greatest Left Fielder". Cobb played over 3000 games in a 24-season career, and is only known to have played left field in 36 games.