NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2022, 01:42 PM
Tony Ricciardi

Default Goldin Vault vs. PWCC Vault

I'm seriously considering moving my high end cards to one of the vault services. My main reasons are to save on my insurance costs ($500+ per year) and to be able to sell easily when I want to.

I was curious if anyone has any experience with either. I read that PWCC has no seller or consignment fees and actually offer a bonus for cards sold over a certain amount. Does Goldin still charge seller fees?

If anyone has any info on either service, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Avoid get yourself a safe deposit box. :-)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Tony Ricciardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Avoid get yourself a safe deposit box. :-)

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2022, 03:23 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by blametony View Post
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My View is these as my cards I don’t want them in someone else’s hands, especially someone (PWCC, not talking GOLDIN)who got kicked off eBay, maybe under federal investigation for various reasoned mentioned at nauseam on this board and other platforms.

The Avoiding Sales Tax thing is not worth it to me because I rarely if ever buy online or from auction houses so it would be a nominal savings for me.

Number 1 reason my cards I want access and security.

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-21-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:25 PM
Tony Ricciardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
My View is these as my cards I don’t want them in someone else’s hands, especially someone (PWCC, not talking GOLDIN)who got kicked off eBay, maybe under federal investigation for various reasoned mentioned at nauseam on this board and other platforms.

The Avoiding Sales Tax thing is not worth it to me because I rarely if ever buy online or from auction houses so it would be a nominal save for me.

Number 1 reason my cards I want access and security.
Gotcha. I do buy a good amount from eBay and other online auctions so the ability to avoid sales tax in a nice perk. Additionally the $500 per year savings off my insurance is a big factor.

Do you insure your collection?
Old 02-21-2022, 03:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blametony View Post
Gotcha. I do buy a good amount from eBay and other online auctions so the ability to avoid sales tax in a nice perk.
Get a resale certificate then.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:38 PM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

There is no way I am going to spend money on a high dollar card just to cheap out in the end and send to somewhere else to avoid the sales tax. If I purchase something, I want to at least hold it and have it in my possession for a certain amount of time. After that, it goes into my safe deposit box. I have two. I have had them for years and I have never had an issue. I do not insure them because it's pretty safe. It takes two different keys to open it. The bank has one and you have the other. It's pretty safe and I love that I have access to my cards whenever I want (within banking hours) and I have never had an issue accessing my boxes.

As far as PWCC, yes - they get a lot of hate and for the obvious reason (as they should) but those who do have cards with them in their vault have only good things to say about the process. Still, I wouldn't store with them, Goldin (who are also scum) and bid up prices or report fake sales *86 Jordans* in order to pump up the market. I want my cards close to me for the all the reasons above.

Some banks may not have safe deposit boxes available so you may have to call different branches or just call every day until they have one available but thats the route I took and I am very happy.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:38 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3112 View Post
After that, it goes into my safe deposit box. I have two. I have had them for years and I have never had an issue. I do not insure them because it's pretty safe.
There are some real horror stories of people who had the same idea you did. Acts of God (tornados, floods, hurricanes, fire, etc) hit banks and safe deposit boxes. Collectibles insurance is still worthwhile even if you have them stored.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:03 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

What about fireproof/waterproof safes as an option? Insurance for what I have is more than car and house insurance combined.....and it is a one-time cost.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:04 PM
Tony Ricciardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
What about fireproof/waterproof safes as an option? Insurance for what I have is more than car and house insurance combined.....and it is a one-time cost.
I do have my cards in a fireproof safe. It helps with the insurance rates, but I would still keep insurance, even with a safe.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:20 PM
Matt

I go safety deposit box and insured (Collect Insure). I sleep real well with both.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:33 AM
octavio ranzola

Horrible idea
Old 02-22-2022, 06:23 AM

I have never used a vault service. But that’s just bc I want my cards with me. If you don’t mind not physically possessing your cards, I see no problem with using a vault, either PWCC, Goldin or anyone else (I think REA may have one too). Especially for the reasons you state- no sales tax (assuming it’s in a no tax state), no need to insure, ease of resale (if you like the AH/Vault) and you probably get a break on fees. I think the vault is a great idea for investors or collectors who don’t need the physical card - I bet in the old days people would have loved to pay some secure 3rd party to hold their paper stock certificates.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:08 AM
Ben North

Either choice would be excellent. Both have done so many great things to advance the card industry.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:14 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Is not being able to handle/touch your cards worth $500 a year savings? Nope. Not at all IMO.

Plus your insurance covers other stuff as well.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Is not being able to handle/touch your cards worth $500 a year savings? Nope. Not at all IMO.

Plus your insurance covers other stuff as well.
As a collector I agree with the bold part. Now if you are just in it to make money and avoid taxes why would you even want to see them let alone have to care for them?
Old 02-22-2022, 08:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
As a collector I agree with the bold part. Now if you are just in it to make money and avoid taxes why would you even want to see them let alone have to care for them?
I like to smell and fondle my cards. Can't do that if I don't have them.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:49 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Either choice would be excellent. Both have done so many great things to advance the card industry.

LOL, I especially love the little scam some vault owners run, where they buy your item on Ebay using their vault address to avoid sales tax, and then ask you to ship to their physical address, so they can have it in their hands anyways.

It's just fantastic!
Old 02-22-2022, 09:04 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
LOL, I especially love the little scam some vault owners run, where they buy your item on Ebay using their vault address to avoid sales tax, and then ask you to ship to their physical address, so they can have it in their hands anyways.

It's just fantastic!
Not possible, if the seller is smart.
Must be shipped to the "Vault" to avoid taxes.

Absolutely not aimed at anyone particular.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s

Last edited by icurnmedic; 02-22-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Drew W@i$e

Are there costs associated with having your cards in either vault?
Old 02-22-2022, 09:22 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Are there costs associated with having your cards in either vault?
Yes, not very much, but there is a cost. Adds up though if the portfolio value is high.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 02-22-2022, 09:43 AM
David M.

Of course, safety deposit boxes aren't without risk. If some natural disaster did occur, the contents are not insured by the bank. This is a picture of a bank cleaning out the safety deposit boxes after Hurricane Katrina.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flooded Safety Deposit Boxes Katrina 2.jpg (47.9 KB, 76 views)