NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2022, 01:32 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Default eBay vault

pretty big announcement today:

The market for trading cards and collectibles continues to accelerate, and eBay is the biggest trading platform for these investment categories. Today eBay announced the eBay Vault – a 31 thousand square foot, secure storage facility and digital marketplace for trading cards and collectibles, with plans to expand into luxury goods.

The eBay Vault will launch in the U.S. next quarter, and will provide peace of mind and convenience for the company's millions of buyers and sellers. Once an item is in the eBay Vault, customers know their valuables are secure and "instant sale" becomes the new reality. Ownership can transfer from seller to buyer in a matter of seconds – without the need to re-authenticate, re-package or ship the item anywhere.

Keeping high-value inventory within the eBay ecosystem is significant for both buyers and sellers – and the Vault will make other planned features, like fractionalization and live commerce, possible for a wider audience. eBay is the only marketplace that can deliver this full suite of capabilities at scale, and signals the future of collecting. Within a few years, eBay expects the Vault will hold up to $3 billion in assets, making it one of the largest stores of non-governmental assets in the world.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-...193000292.html

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 03-10-2022, 01:36 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It was only a matter of time. And perhaps a little more insight into why they wanted to sever ties with PWCC.

Hopefully they don't f*ck this up like they do everything else...
Old 03-10-2022, 01:51 PM
J@E R1T0

Good bye PWCC vault!

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:09 PM
Drew W@i$e

Vaults remind me of the batcave
Old 03-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

PWCC, Goldin, and now EBay.

The more the merry

I think I am will turn my basement into a vault

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-10-2022, 03:15 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

But is the Ebay vault in a tax-free state that will allow buyers to circumvent taxes? And has anyone else ever had the thought of what would happen if one of these vaults, or PSA, or SGC's buildings ever had a fire?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Good bye PWCC vault!
Maybe not!

I didn't see in that article where it said this vault was going. If memory serves, both PWCC and Goldin have their vaults in states with no sales tax. Oregon and Delaware, respectively. I believe. I can still see some people using either of them to save a few bucks if Ebay puts their vault in a state that collect sales tax. In fact, if Ebay does put this vault in a state with sales taxes, depending on which state it is and what their sales tax rate is, it could actually end up costing someone more to use their vault if they live in one of the states with no sales taxes, or one that has a lower sales tax rate than the state the vault gets located in.

Also, the article gave no info on costs to use their vault, if they are insuring what they're going to be holding for you, what happens if they lose/damage something, and maybe most importantly, I certainly didn't see anything about Ebay making loans/advances to people for items being held in their vault. Those loans/advances are a big deal for PWCC I'm betting. Also, if you use PWCC's or Goldin's vaults, and want to sell something, I believe you just contact them and tell them what to sell, and they take care of the rest. So how is that going to work with Ebay and things held and subsequently sold from their vault? Maybe they're planning to set up their own separate company as a vault seller option, and end up competing against PWCC and Goldin. Or maybe they partner up with an already existing consignment seller, like Probstein or Greg Morris Cards, to handle and offer such a service to their vault customers. Kind of going along the same lines in partnering with CSG for their new authentication service.

A lot of unanswered questions for now. And this should be very interesting as it appears another big player may possibly be looking to vertically expand in our hobby industry. Another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmm!
Old 03-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Maybe not!

I didn't see in that article where it said this vault was going. If memory serves, both PWCC and Goldin have their vaults in states with no sales tax. Oregon and Delaware, respectively. I believe. I can still see some people using either of them to save a few bucks if Ebay puts their vault in a state that collect sales tax. In fact, if Ebay does put this vault in a state with sales taxes, depending on which state it is and what their sales tax rate is, it could actually end up costing someone more to use their vault if they live in one of the states with no sales taxes, or one that has a lower sales tax rate than the state the vault gets located in.

Also, the article gave no info on costs to use their vault, if they are insuring what they're going to be holding for you, what happens if they lose/damage something, and maybe most importantly, I certainly didn't see anything about Ebay making loans/advances to people for items being held in their vault. Those loans/advances are a big deal for PWCC I'm betting. Also, if you use PWCC's or Goldin's vaults, and want to sell something, I believe you just contact them and tell them what to sell, and they take care of the rest. So how is that going to work with Ebay and things held and subsequently sold from their vault? Maybe they're planning to set up their own separate company as a vault seller option, and end up competing against PWCC and Goldin. Or maybe they partner up with an already existing consignment seller, like Probstein or Greg Morris Cards, to handle and offer such a service to their vault customers. Kind of going along the same lines in partnering with CSG for their new authentication service.

A lot of unanswered questions for now. And this should be very interesting as it appears another big player may possibly be looking to vertically expand in our hobby industry. Another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmm!
Hi Bob,

Good points, as usual. I am waiting for them to announce an acquisition of CCG, parent co to CSG, NGC, CGC and others. Now that eBay has a vault and are using CSG to authenticate ungraded cards, I figured it would only be a matter of time before they take grading in house and make themselves a one stop shop for multiple collectibles to really attempt to put pressure on the PSA/Goldin.

Chase
Old 03-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
But is the Ebay vault in a tax-free state that will allow buyers to circumvent taxes? And has anyone else ever had the thought of what would happen if one of these vaults, or PSA, or SGC's buildings ever had a fire?
Ebay's US headquarters are in San Jose, CA, definitely not a tax friendly state. And San Jose is in Santa Clara County, that has a sales tax rate of 9.875%. Yikes, that's near the top sales tax rate in the country, which may be in Tennessee with an average overall state sales tax rate of almost 10%. California's average rate is 8.618%, but as noted, much higher where Ebay's headquarters are.

So, assuming Ebay wouldn't be dumb enough to put their vault somewhere with an almost 10% sales tax rate, where do you all think they put it?

The five states with no sales taxes are; Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. I don't see Alaska or Montana being in the running, due to their being out of the way and more remote. Not feeling too strongly for New Hampshire either, sort of a gut feeling. If they do open their vault in a non-sales tax state, I think it comes down to Delaware or Oregon, and I'm leaning towards Delaware, if I were a betting man. Curious to hear what others may think. and why.

Last edited by BobC; 03-10-2022 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hi Bob,

Good points, as usual. I am waiting for them to announce an acquisition of CCG, parent co to CSG, NGC, CGC and others. Now that eBay has a vault and are using CSG to authenticate ungraded cards, I figured it would only be a matter of time before they take grading in house and make themselves a one stop shop for multiple collectibles to really attempt to put pressure on the PSA/Goldin.

Chase
That's what I'm starting to believe also Chase. They're thinking like the major sports leagues, and their players, who bought into Fanatics, and then turned around and basically gave themselves the exclusive sports card production rights going forward. And they used that move to then go after and acquire Topps for about half what their cancelled IPO was supposed to be worth. Fanatics is looking to vertically expand their footprint and presence in the primary sports card market, while Ebay may be looking for vertical expansion more in the secondary market. Don't think we've seen all the moves by either of them yet.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ebay's US headquarters are in San Jose, CA, definitely not a tax friendly state. And San Jose is in Santa Clara County, that has a sales tax rate of 9.875%. Yikes, that's near the top sales tax rate in the country, which may be in Tennessee with an average overall state sales tax rate of almost 10%. California's average rate is 8.618%, but as noted, much higher where Ebay's headquarters are.

So, assuming Ebay wouldn't be dumb enough to put their vault somewhere with an almost 10% sales tax rate, where do you all think they put it?

The five states with no sales taxes are; Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. I don't see Alaska or Montans being in the running, due to their being out of the way and more remote. Not feeling too strongly for New Hampshire either, sort of a gut feeling. If they do open their vault in a non-sales tax state, I think it comes down to Delaware or Oregon, and I'm leaning towards Delaware, if I were a betting man. Curious to hear what others may think. and why.
Catching up on the vault issue. Does the location of goods determine which state's sales tax is implicated instead of the location of the parties to the transaction? Thank you.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:40 PM
Dave Fa*st

Again....vault. Stupidest idea ever.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
No, no, Dave. You just don't get it. You never have to touch your cards or deal with them in any physical way. It's perfect for the infirmed, homeless, or mentally unstable. Isn't that great?
Old 03-10-2022, 06:20 PM

How about a net54 vault ?
Old 03-10-2022, 06:23 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
No, no, Dave. You just don't get it. You never have to touch your cards or deal with them in any physical way. It's perfect for the infirmed, homeless, or mentally unstable. Isn't that great?
I can identify as unstable. But I still like to fondle my cards. Sorry, said the quiet part out loud.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:50 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Catching up on the vault issue. Does the location of goods determine which state's sales tax is implicated instead of the location of the parties to the transaction? Thank you.
In the case of an online/internet sale, the sales tax is charged on where the purchased item is being shipped to, which is supposedly where the item is to be used/kept. In other words, where the transfer of ownership normally occurs.

You buy something online from a local card shop one state over, and if applicable, they are supposed to charge you sales tax for the state they sent the card to, because that is supposedly where you actually take possession of your card when you open your mail. But let's say you are on a trip in this other state and you happened to walk into this same LCS and buy this card in person and take it with you. Now the LCS will charge you sales tax based on the state they are located in, because that is where you bought and took actual possession of the card. See the difference?

This doesn't work like this for really big ticket items like cars though. Even if you drive to another state to pay for and pick up a car, the sales tax will be based on where the car ends up being registered at and ultimately kept.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:05 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...This doesn't work like this for really big ticket items like cars though. Even if you drive to another state to pay for and pick up a car, the sales tax will be based on where the car ends up being registered at and ultimately kept.
An increasing number of sports cards are more expensive than sports cars.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 03-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
An increasing number of sports cards are more expensive than sports cars.

LOL

Very, very true. The thing with cars is they have to be licensed and registered in the state/city they're going to be housed and used in. So those are easy to track and catch. Someone driving over a state/county line to buy and pick up say a living room set for a few grand isn't that easy for state auditors to always find and catch. So buying cards in card shops in states with no sales tax can save you money. Try to use cash so you leave as small a footprint as possible.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
In the case of an online/internet sale, the sales tax is charged on where the purchased item is being shipped to, which is supposedly where the item is to be used/kept. In other words, where the transfer of ownership normally occurs.

You buy something online from a local card shop one state over, and if applicable, they are supposed to charge you sales tax for the state they sent the card to, because that is supposedly where you actually take possession of your card when you open your mail. But let's say you are on a trip in this other state and you happened to walk into this same LCS and buy this card in person and take it with you. Now the LCS will charge you sales tax based on the state they are located in, because that is where you bought and took actual possession of the card. See the difference?

This doesn't work like this for really big ticket items like cars though. Even if you drive to another state to pay for and pick up a car, the sales tax will be based on where the car ends up being registered at and ultimately kept.
Thanks for this explanation and all of the tax education you provide this forum.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:21 PM
Chase

Quote:
That's what I'm starting to believe also Chase. They're thinking like the major sports leagues, and their players, who bought into Fanatics, and then turned around and basically gave themselves the exclusive sports card production rights going forward. And they used that move to then go after and acquire Topps for about half what their cancelled IPO was supposed to be worth. Fanatics is looking to vertically expand their footprint and presence in the primary sports card market, while Ebay may be looking for vertical expansion more in the secondary market. Don't think we've seen all the moves by either of them yet.
Absolutely, Bob. Neither Fanatics nor eBay are done with their expansion. eBay is always so clumsy so whatever move they make I cannot help but feel it will less than awe inspiring. Fanatics on the flip side, seems to be more calculated and in touch with the market.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:56 AM
octavio ranzola

I just put a 66 namath in my vault.my yorkie and pitbull are guarding it😳😳
Old 03-11-2022, 03:35 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
i just put a 66 namath in my vault.my yorkie and pitbull are guarding it😳😳
lololol!!!
Old 03-11-2022, 04:33 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
lololol!!!
bobby hope you are well heres madison lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E2973B0-18D5-47C3-B70D-9830E96D4D77.jpg (129.2 KB, 428 views)
Old 03-11-2022, 04:57 AM
Dave Fa*st

Well if the going trend is going to be to keep these cards in these "vaults" and never every actually lay physical hands on your purchase then it seems the easiest thing to do is grab the scan of the T206 Wagner Charlie Sheen card, save it to my hard drive and just say it's mine. I'll see it with my own eyes just as often as I would actually buying a card and keeping it in eBay's vault which who the hell knows where will be located. Shoot that was easy, think i'll also grab the scan of a Baltimore News Ruth SGC 40 I saw. It's now "mine" too.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:07 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Well if the going trend is going to be to keep these cards in these "vaults" and never every actually lay physical hands on your purchase then it seems the easiest thing to do is grab the scan of the T206 Wagner Charlie Sheen card, save it to my hard drive and just say it's mine. I'll see it with my own eyes just as often as I would actually buying a card and keeping it in eBay's vault which who the hell knows where will be located. Shoot that was easy, think i'll also grab the scan of a Baltimore News Ruth SGC 40 I saw. It's now "mine" too.
How true
Old 03-11-2022, 06:27 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
PWCC, Goldin, and now EBay.

The more the merry

I think I am will turn my basement into a vault
We're living in a flippers paradise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2022, 06:30 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
I guess it's ok with some, but for me, I want to have my collection with me, so I can enjoy it.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 03-11-2022 at 06:47 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-11-2022, 10:23 AM
Bob C.

Here's one possible positive outcome from people using vaults, it makes it much more obvious and clear that people holding their cards in vaults instead of at home are considering them as true investments and not just hobby collectibles. The big federal tax difference between selling a true investment, like stocks and bonds, versus selling a hobby collectible, like baseball cards, is that the current maximum federal long term capital gains tax rate for selling investments is 20%, but 28% for selling a collectible.

And long term means you would have had to own the stocks or cards for at least a year or more for these capped max rates to be applicable. If you own either for less than a year before selling for a profit, the profit is all just ordinary taxable income, subject to whatever the max individual income tax rate is, which is currently at 37%.

So let's say someone has a card that has been sitting in a vault for well over a year, and they sell it for a $1 Million profit. Currently, the IRS would likely say all baseball cards are collectibles by definition, and therefore the seller could owe up to $280K of federal capital gains tax from the $1M profit on selling the card. But if they could successfully argue to the IRS that their baseball card they sold was actually held as a true investment and not as just a collectible, the max federal capital gains tax on that $1M profit would only be $200K, an $80K difference to the seller's/taxpayer's advantage. To my knowledge, I've not yet heard of a case where someone has made such an argument, and prevailed. I suspect the 8% spread between the max federal long term capital gains tax rate between investments and collectibles likely doesn't generate enough of a potential tax savings for someone to want to take the risk on the legal cost and expenses, plus potential interest and penalty charges, of taking up such a fight with the IRS. At least not yet. But with the continuing rising prices of cards, it seems like it is only a matter of time before someone does try to make this argument with the IRS and claim a 20% max federal tax rate on the profit from selling a card. Who knows, if questioned by the IRS about taking such an investment versus collectibles stance, upon presentation of enough supporting evidence, like always having kept the card sold in one of these vaults, the IRS could surprise people and agree with the taxpayer's argument and just acquiesce the point. But somehow I doubt they would. LOL

Of course, this entire point is moot if the person selling the card operates as a dealer in business, and the card being sold was currently part of their business inventory. In which case the net profit from the card sale is all just ordinary business taxable income, and there are no maximum federal capital gains tax rates involved.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:45 AM
Bob C.

By the way, the IRS's broad definition of what is considered a "collectible" can actually be found in Internal Revenue Code Section 408(m). Section 408 actually pertains to IRA accounts.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:40 PM

Bob, I just took a deep dive into the topic. Two things I did not realize struck me as particularly noteworthy and worth posting about:

1. Only “investors” in collectibles may take a capital loss on the sale of a card (if sell for a loss). All you avowed collectors, who expressly state your collections are for enjoyment and personal use only, have publicly announced to the IRS that you are not entitled to a tax loss on the sale of a card. Just hope things keep going up! Or, like some of us, admit that you buy cards for investment, and you have strong proof of intent and thus entitled to take losses. You must recognize gains (at 28%) regardless of whether you own cards for investment or as a hobby. But only investors, and not collectors, can take losses.

2. Those who are in the business of buying and selling cards do not get 28% gains treatment, but instead have ordinary gains and losses from business operations. For many, ordinary tax rates are higher than 28%. This begs the question: are those who obtain retail sales certificates (to avoid paying state taxes), effectively declaring they are in the trade or business of selling cards and thus subjecting themselves to ordinary gain, rather than 28%?

Assuming the answer to the 2nd question is “yes”, seems the best tax move currently for individuals (not dealers) is to post on message boards that you invest in cardboard and don’t get a resale certificate to avoid state taxes.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:47 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Bob, I just took a deep dive into the topic. Two things I did not realize struck me as particularly noteworthy and worth posting about:

1. Only “investors” in collectibles may take a capital loss on the sale of a card (if sell for a loss). All you avowed collectors, who expressly state your collections are for enjoyment and personal use only, have publicly announced to the IRS that you are not entitled to a tax loss on the sale of a card. Just hope things keep going up! Or, like some of us, admit that you buy cards for investment, and you have strong proof of intent and thus entitled to take losses. You must recognize gains (at 28%) regardless of whether you own cards for investment or as a hobby. But only investors, and not collectors, can take losses.

2. Those who are in the business of buying and selling cards do not get 28% gains treatment, but instead have ordinary gains and losses from business operations. For many, ordinary tax rates are higher than 28%. This begs the question: are those who obtain retail sales certificates (to avoid paying state taxes), effectively declaring they are in the trade or business of selling cards and thus subjecting themselves to ordinary gain, rather than 28%?

Assuming the answer to the 2nd question is “yes”, seems the best tax move currently for individuals (not dealers) is to post on message boards that you invest in cardboard and don’t get a resale certificate to avoid state taxes.
Resale Licenses only permit avoidance of paying state sales tax which is different than state tax.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Resale Licenses only permit avoidance of paying state sales tax which is different than state tax.
Yes, and the basis for avoiding state tax is because you are buying to resell and thus are in a trade or business.

In other words, only people in the business of buying cards for resale should get the license. Thus, by getting the license you are providing proof that you are in business not a mere collector, should the IRS audit you
Old 03-11-2022, 11:00 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Hey Ryan,

If you go back through my numerous tax related posts, you'll find I've mentioned exactly what you're saying in your point #1 several times about how only investors get to deduct capital losses from card sales, and not collectors. And you are absolutely right about not posting about being a collector on a public forum like this if you ever hope to be able to deduct a loss from a card sale as an investor. Same goes for posting pictures of your man caves on here, and the stuff you have displayed. I've also posted numerous times now that the easiest way to tell an investor from a collector is that a collector displays his cards on the walls or shelves in their office or man cave, while an investor keeps their cards in a vault or safe deposit box.

And just to be very clear, 28% is the max long term capital gains federal tax rate on the sale of cards, whether you are a card investor or collector. You do not just pay a flat 28% long term cap gain tax on net profits from card sales. It depends on a lot of other factors, like if you have any other capital losses to offset against gains from card sales, what taxable income you have, your filing status, what tax bracket you end up in, and so on. And also, that 28% max rate only applies for "long term" net capital gains from card investment/collectible sales. That means you had to have owned a card for at least one year, or more, for it to be a long term capital gain (or loss). A net "short term" capital gain from the sale of a collectible/investment card owned less than twelve months is treated and taxed as ordinary taxable income, just like W-2 wages, and is subject to federal income tax up to the current max individual rate of 37%.

And as to your point #2, I've also numerous times posted how dealers do not get the max 28% LT cap gains fed tax rate on net profits from their business' card sales. It is ordinary taxable income, subject to a max federal individual income tax rate currently at 37%, but that is only if the business net income ends up getting taxed on a person's individual income tax return. If you set up your business and have it taxed as a C-Corporation, the corporate entity actually pays the tax at a flat federal tax rate of 21% on every dollar of net business income. Also, in the case of net business profit that does end up on your personal income tax return, please be aware that in some cases that net business income may also be subject to additional self-employment taxes (social security and Medicare) of upwards of an additional 15.3% tax on your net business income, on top of the up to 37% federal income tax you may owe on it already. And I'm not going to even get started on the potential impact of Obamacare taxes on excess earnings and net invest income.

But you are absolutely right that someone wanting to be treated as a collector or investor for income tax purposes someday, at a max fed LT cap gains rate of 28%, should not go out and be getting a resale exemption certificate so they don't have to pay state sales tax. Especially if cards they are now selling and want to treat as collectible/investment sales, and not business sales, were purchased using that sales tax exemption certificate. Cards purchased using a resale sales exemption are supposed to going into a business inventory, not someone's collection or investment portfolio.

And unfortunately, for a lot of people who are suddenly going to start getting these 1099-K forms next year for cards/items they're selling, the initial thinking by the tax authorities is likely to be that you're a dealer in business selling cards/items, not a collector or investor. So as I've suggested numerous times now, it may behoove a lot of these soon to be affected people to talk with a qualified tax professional, especially one knowledgeable of the state they're in, to discuss and plan what might be the best way to plan for and handle this for tax purposes going forward.

So Ryan, how deep did you dig? Once you jump in, it's almost like a bottomless pit with all the tax related rules, options, and so on, isn't it? LOL Welcome to my world, and be glad we're not talking about state, local, or any other oddball taxes, as well!

Anyway, I still can't believe you hadn't already picked up both points from many of my numerous earlier tax related posts. I figure you either just lucked out and missed reading them, or I put you to sleep with all the technical crap I had crammed in them before you got to the parts where I covered the points you're now bringing up. LOL

As I've said numerous times now, for tax purposes in regards to our hobby, you can end up being treated as a Dealer in business, an Investor, or as a Collector/Hobbyist. And I feel you can be more than one, or even all three of them, at the same time, as long as you keep adequate records and your business inventory, investment portfolio, and card/item collection separate and properly documented.

Have a good one!
Old 03-12-2022, 07:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You can be both a collector and in the business of buying and selling cards.

New Shimmer. It's a dessert topping and a floor wax!

Sorry, where was I before the commercial? Ahh, yes. You can be more than one thing, like a homeowner and a commercial real estate owner. It all comes down to record keeping and conducting your business in a businesslike manner. You have the resale permit and track your sales, you are 90% of the way to legitimacy. File a Schedule C every year to report your profits and losses in the business and show a profit 3 of 5 years and you are golden. No way the IRS calls your reported activity a hobby with all that evidence. The folks I fear for are the tax scofflaws. Give Caesar nothing and you get caught you are going somewhere there are no cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-12-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:33 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Not to hijack the thread, but I do have a cost of goods/basis question regarding the sale of cards. Let's say you buy a 1915 Cracker Jack set for $100,000 at auction. Five years later, the set is worth $200,000. At that time, you list and sell the Ty Cobb card from the set for $50,000. You retain the remainder of the set. How do you determine the cost basis (or cost of goods sold) for purposes of determining taxable gain?
Old 03-12-2022, 10:25 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You can be both a collector and in the business of buying and selling cards.

New Shimmer. It's a dessert topping and a floor wax!

Sorry, where was I before the commercial? Ahh, yes. You can be more than one thing, like a homeowner and a commercial real estate owner. It all comes down to record keeping and conducting your business in a businesslike manner. You have the resale permit and track your sales, you are 90% of the way to legitimacy. File a Schedule C every year to report your profits and losses in the business and show a profit 3 of 5 years and you are golden. No way the IRS calls your reported activity a hobby with all that evidence. The folks I fear for are the tax scofflaws. Give Caesar nothing and you get caught you are going somewhere there are no cards.

Adam, that is hilarious. The stuff you come up with and post sometimes is priceless!

On a different note, and for the benefit of our viewing audience, just wanted to expand slightly on what Adam was saying about reporting your card/collectible business for tax purposes. First off, everything he's saying is true, and good advice to follow. Record keeping for a business is a must, and you want to keep things separate as much as possible. Get a separate bank account just for the business. Try not to run any activity or transactions for your personal collection or items you want to hold as investments through the business. If ever questioned, it makes it easier to demonstrate and support your claim that different portions of the cards/items you have are for your collection, held as investments, or part of your business inventory.

Now this doesn't mean that you can't take something from your personal collection or cards/items held as investments and decide to transfer them to your business for sale as inventory, or vice versa. But the more frequently you do that kind of stuff, especially if you aren't keeping really good records of what is being transferred between the different groups, the harder it will be to convince an IRS agent you can and are operating as a Dealer, Investor, and/or Collector, all at the same time.

Adam also mentioned filing a federal Schedule C for your card business with your individual federal income tax return (Form 1040) each year, and to try and make sure you show a profit at least 3 out of every 5 consecutive tax years. Schedule C is titled "Profit or Loss From Business", and is the tax form individuals include with their Form 1040 return to report their business income and expenses, and resulting net taxable business income, or loss, each year. But just because you operate a card business as a Dealer, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll report the activity on a Schedule C form as part of your personal tax return. It depends on how you set up the business, and if you operate it as a sole proprietor, or if you incorporate the business, form a partnership to run it, or set it up as a limited liability company or entity. I'm not even going to try and get into all the different options and nuances. Suffice it to say that someone involved as a Dealer in a card business isn't always going to be reporting the activity from that only on a Schedule C form.

The advice by Adam to try and show you had a profit from your card business at least 3 out of every 5 years is spot on, and relates to what is commonly known as the "Hobby Loss Rule". This rule gives the IRS and it's agents the ability to review your tax returns, and if they find you had a questionable business that just kept losing money and creating tax losses year after year, they can invoke this rule and declare your so-called business is really a hobby, and therefore none of the losses generated by it are allowed as tax deductions anymore. It is not something that is automatically triggered by the IRS computers, but if they do notice the pattern and investigate (ie: audit), an IRS agent can invoke the rule and negate your loss deductions, even if you are 100% trying to operate as a valid, for-profit business.

Clarifications over, carry on.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:26 AM

I appreciate that Bob. I have read all of your other posts, and I guess I already knew that, but it just sort of re-hit me last night as I started looking for proposed regs from the 1990s. BTW- I am recovering tax attny with a masters in tax law from Georgetown, who practiced for 7 years before giving up that racket. I worked on corporate and partnership deals, and never had occasion to learn about collectibles tax or really deal much with individual taxes. To that end, I - as most here- really appreciate your advice and posts!

Regarding the 1915 CJ question: you would have to go back to the date you bought the set and establish the approximate value of the Cobb as of that date, which should be pretty easy to do with VCP or just google. Take that value and subtract it from your current sales price and that’s your gain. Do your best, don’t be a pig, and document your methodology, and you should be fine.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Adam, that is hilarious. The stuff you come up with and post sometimes is priceless!
Well, I've been doing stand-up for 10+ years now, so whenever I see a chance..."the world is a stage".

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-12-2022, 01:35 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Horrible idea...especially if it is based in CA...ebay will charge you (of course) for the vault and I guarantee they will add things like insurance on top of that. I am fairly certain they will not let you self-insure (via something like Collectible Ins. Co.). Fire danger in CA, theft, earthquake, etc.

Not seeing the card in person is also weird to me, an old-school collector not an investor, but even as an investor, I want to hold it and see it.

What will it cost you to actually remove a card from the vault? A handling fee to find it and a shipping fee? More?

Ugh...hate where the "hobby" is going sometimes.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:53 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Horrible idea...especially if it is based in CA...ebay will charge you (of course) for the vault and I guarantee they will add things like insurance on top of that. I am fairly certain they will not let you self-insure (via something like Collectible Ins. Co.). Fire danger in CA, theft, earthquake, etc.

Not seeing the card in person is also weird to me, an old-school collector not an investor, but even as an investor, I want to hold it and see it.

What will it cost you to actually remove a card from the vault? A handling fee to find it and a shipping fee? More?

Ugh...hate where the "hobby" is going sometimes.
What about cards getting lost, damaged, or stolen in the vault, swapped out, etc. How many times have you received a card, even slabbed, that had issues. Not receiving the card, you will have to trust them. I’m also an old-school collector, and getting older, so maybe I just don’t trust change.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:58 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I do have a cost of goods/basis question regarding the sale of cards. Let's say you buy a 1915 Cracker Jack set for $100,000 at auction. Five years later, the set is worth $200,000. At that time, you list and sell the Ty Cobb card from the set for $50,000. You retain the remainder of the set. How do you determine the cost basis (or cost of goods sold) for purposes of determining taxable gain?
That is an absolutely great question, but unfortunately, one with no specific, 100% correct, black and white answer. There are various ways you could go about doing this, but it will most likely come down to making some kind of reasonable guesstimate. And you'll also want to be sure to keep good notes and records so you can properly report future transactions involving other cards from the set in an accurate and consistent manner as well. So after having said all that, here are some options I'd suggest.

1. This is the best option of all, but can only be done if you do this when you first buy the set. You sit down with the seller and you list out and assign an agreed upon value for each card in the set that adds up to the $100K you're paying for it. Or you can go and assign an agreed upon value for all the star/HOFer/rare cards in the set, and leave the residual value up to the $100K being paid to be evenly divided among all the common or other cards not separately listed and valued. As long as you and the seller are not related, the IRS can't really argue whatever you two decide to value each card in the set at. This will likely help the seller also, as he should be reporting the sale for tax purposes as well. And if he acquired the set card by card originally, each card, not the set as a whole, is going to have its own tax basis that he's likely going to need to report on his own return. And remember, if he's selling the set as a Collector, any cards in it that he sells for a loss would not be tax deductible by him. So if he way overpaid for the Cobb in the set, as part of your deal the two of you could agree on a higher value for the Cobb, so the seller doesn't get stuck with a non-deductible tax loss. I would also suggest maybe having two copies of the list of agreed upon card values made up so both of you could sign each list, and then each keep a dual signed copy for your tax records. Of course, this only works if the seller agrees to it, and I can easily think of at least one reason they may not want to.

2. However, if you had bought the set already, but had no card value deal or list with the seller, you could go and hire someone qualified to act as an appraiser of the set, and give you the current appraised values of each card in the set. You would then do some math to determine what percentage each card's appraised value was to the appraised value of all the cards in total. And then just multiply that card's percentage by the $100K you paid for the whole set, and voila, you use that result as the card's tax basis for tax reporting purposes. (For example, appraiser says a card is currently worth $40K, and the appraised value of all the individual cards in the set total up to $200K. So $40K / $200K = 20% X $100K = $20K as the tax basis of that particular card.) This method would be particularly relevant for a set that had many different grades/conditions of cards in it that caused their values to fluctuate greatly. However the time, effort, or cost for you or a hired appraiser to do all this might prove too prohibitive. If you do this, be sure to keep all your notes, records, appraisal, and consistently follow the same methodology in determining the tax basis of every other card in the set.

3. This may be the most reasonable, and doable, option of all. Go back to when you first bought the set, and then go find a published checklist with estimated card values, for that set, from as close to when you originally bought it as possible. Use those published card values to then do a similar calculation, as shown in Option#2 above, to come up with your card's tax basis. If the checklist shows an overall value for the entire set, along with the values for individual cards, ignore the listed overall set value. Instead, add up the listed values of all the individual cards and use that as the total set value that is the denominator in the formula shown in Option #2. If you originally acquired the set from years ago when they were still publishing the SCD catalogs, those would be the perfect kind of check/value lists to use for this exercise. They typically listed a value for every card in the set, at least for the vintage sets, and they showed values by card for various conditions as well, usually NM, EX, and VG. In this case, I'd even go a step further and look at the overall average condition of the cards in the set, and specifically use the listed card values for the condition closest to what the cards in the set actually were, for this tax basis calculation. This methodology makes even more sense the more consistent the condition is among all the cards in the set. Though by no means perfect, this method at least gives you a logical way to figure each card's tax basis. And as with the other Options, if you choose to use this one, remember to keep all your notes, records, and calculations, and be sure to consistently apply the same calculations and methodology when determining the tax basis in all the other cards from this set as well.

Some overall comments. Don't forget that when determining the original cost basis, you may need to add in some other costs besides just the original purchase price, as well, like maybe shipping to have cards delivered to you. If so, for something like shipping costs, just spread that kind of cost equally across all the cards in the set, and add it onto the tax basis for each card you previously calculated using that formula shown in Option#2. In some cases, after acquiring a set you may have some of the cards graded, re-holdered, whatever. If so, those grading fees and costs (postage, etc.) also become part of the tax basis of those specific cards going forward. Assuming you kept records of which cards you had work done on, and the costs involved, simply add those costs onto the previously calculated tax basis for each relevant card. But if you didn't keep details of the specific cards involved, as long as I could show a cost was incurred, I'd go ahead and at least spread the cost across all the cards in the set. And what if you ever upgraded a card in the set after the original purchase? Hopefully you kept details/costs of the upgrade acquired. In which case you would remove the card you're replacing, and its previously calculated tax basis, and swap it out for the replacement card and its tax basis as a part of the overall set's tax basis now. This isn't anyway near all the potential issues, but should cover a good chunk and the most common of them. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2022, 02:01 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, I've been doing stand-up for 10+ years now, so whenever I see a chance..."the world is a stage".
Ha! You forgot to add, "And I'll be here through the weekend!"
Old 03-12-2022, 02:38 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

BobC. Thanks for the very thorough analysis. I should note that my question was a hypothetical, as sadly I do not have a Cracker Jack set. I very much WANT that set, but I do not presently own it. If I had it, I am pretty sure I would die with it (or at least the HOFers in the set), so my heirs would get the stepped up basis. LOL I was just curious how that would work (and similarly how it might work when a collector or dealer acquires a collection). I can honestly say my LEAST enjoyable part of running my business is pulling all of the numbers together for taxes. I have to imagine it is a bit of a nightmare for a card broker that does things by the book.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:41 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I appreciate that Bob. I have read all of your other posts, and I guess I already knew that, but it just sort of re-hit me last night as I started looking for proposed regs from the 1990s. BTW- I am recovering tax attny with a masters in tax law from Georgetown, who practiced for 7 years before giving up that racket. I worked on corporate and partnership deals, and never had occasion to learn about collectibles tax or really deal much with individual taxes. To that end, I - as most here- really appreciate your advice and posts!

Regarding the 1915 CJ question: you would have to go back to the date you bought the set and establish the approximate value of the Cobb as of that date, which should be pretty easy to do with VCP or just google. Take that value and subtract it from your current sales price and that’s your gain. Do your best, don’t be a pig, and document your methodology, and you should be fine.
Ugh! I feel your pain, but try doing it for like 45 years, and include individual, corporate, and all business taxes, estates, trusts, tax planning and consultations, audits, reviews, compilations, not to mention specialized services like SOC/SAS-70 reporting, and still finding time every now and then to butt heads and square off against the IRS and other tax authorities. And that's just off the top of my head! I just have a lowly undergrad degree, but did start out in the old "Big Eight" with Peat, Marwick, Mitchell (KPMG today) and really learned my craft the old school way, on the job. And even had a 15 year stint in private industry as a CFO/Controller for a real estate developer/manager where I was responsible for not just a real estate management firm, but also dozens of commercial real estate entities, two different construction companies, our own in-house architectural firm, in-house real estate broker, and so on. Can definitely swap some war stories. LOL

And I hope you don't mind, but in Post #41 I expanded a little bit on your response to Smarti5051 in your second paragraph above. LOL

Take care!
Old 03-12-2022, 02:59 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Also Rhotchkiss, thanks for your post as well. I made the mistake of clicking on your Flickr link a couple weeks ago and felt an acute envy, as many of the cards in your collection are at the top of my wantlist.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
BobC. Thanks for the very thorough analysis. I should note that my question was a hypothetical, as sadly I do not have a Cracker Jack set. I very much WANT that set, but I do not presently own it. If I had it, I am pretty sure I would die with it (or at least the HOFers in the set), so my heirs would get the stepped up basis. LOL I was just curious how that would work (and similarly how it might work when a collector or dealer acquires a collection). I can honestly say my LEAST enjoyable part of running my business is pulling all of the numbers together for taxes. I have to imagine it is a bit of a nightmare for a card broker that does things by the book.
No problem, and you're welcome. I figured yours was a question that would ultimately be of interest to some other people on here as well. So I tried to cover a few different scenarios. Hey, if nothing else, now you have a good idea of what you want/need to do if you ever did find yourself in one these situations. And even if you did acquire and then plan on leaving a set like that to your heirs, don't just assume you needn't worry about the set's tax basis. There's already been talk of doing away or otherwise modifying the Stepped-Up Basis rules regarding federal estate taxes. So remember, nothing is permanent!

And good luck getting your tax info together.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No vault for me for personal cards. I like to fondle and smell my cards!

That said, after reading more, the vault might not be a bad idea if the card(s) bought will be for resale. Then, since there is no sales tax charged in that sale it's a nice +/-8% savings.

Last edited by Leon; 03-14-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:54 PM
Chase

https://pages.ebay.com/vault/?mkevt=...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Apparently no sales tax for those who were curious.

Wow what a lucky bunch of collectors we are. We have 3 entities now who can assist us in avoiding sales tax and can protect our cards at the same time!
Old 03-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
https://pages.ebay.com/vault/?mkevt=...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Apparently no sales tax for those who were curious.

Wow what a lucky bunch of collectors we are. We have 3 entities now who can assist us in avoiding sales tax and can protect our cards at the same time!

Thanks for the link Chase. And that is exactly what I expected they would do. But for this to work, they'd have to have the vault located in one the five states with no sales taxes. Didn't see anything in the link about where they located though. Anyone seen or heard anything about what state they picked? My guess is they're in either Oregon or Delaware, the same states PWCC and Goldin have their vaults, respectively.

By the way, did you notice in that link where it said that if you remove items from the Ebay vault you will end up being charged applicable sales tax? That is interesting because that implies there is a permanent liability for sales tax on items once you've bought them, should you ever move somewhere else with them that has a higher sales tax rate than what you originally paid. But that is totally untrue. Because if it were, people moving from one state with low or no sales tax to a state with a high sales tax would end up potentially owing sales tax to their new state of residence on clothes, furnishings, and everything else they brought with them, even if those belongings had originally been purchased years ago. There are no states I'm aware of that would ever do that.

Think of it this way. You live in Delaware where there's no sales tax, and acquire a really nice '52 Topps Mantle online through a big AH. So when it is delivered to your home, no sales tax is due. Oh, and you keep the card in a safe in your home. A couple years later you and the family pick up and move to California, and take all your belongings with you to CA, including the '52 Mantle. There is no CA sales tax agent waiting at the border to ask for CA sales tax on the Mantle. So why would that be different if you kept it in a vault instead of your house?

Something else to consider and ask about in regards to selecting and using a vault service.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:55 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The answer to all your tax problems is to just keep moving. Catch me if you can.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.