NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2022, 01:32 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Default eBay vault

pretty big announcement today:

The market for trading cards and collectibles continues to accelerate, and eBay is the biggest trading platform for these investment categories. Today eBay announced the eBay Vault – a 31 thousand square foot, secure storage facility and digital marketplace for trading cards and collectibles, with plans to expand into luxury goods.

The eBay Vault will launch in the U.S. next quarter, and will provide peace of mind and convenience for the company's millions of buyers and sellers. Once an item is in the eBay Vault, customers know their valuables are secure and "instant sale" becomes the new reality. Ownership can transfer from seller to buyer in a matter of seconds – without the need to re-authenticate, re-package or ship the item anywhere.

Keeping high-value inventory within the eBay ecosystem is significant for both buyers and sellers – and the Vault will make other planned features, like fractionalization and live commerce, possible for a wider audience. eBay is the only marketplace that can deliver this full suite of capabilities at scale, and signals the future of collecting. Within a few years, eBay expects the Vault will hold up to $3 billion in assets, making it one of the largest stores of non-governmental assets in the world.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-...193000292.html

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 03-10-2022, 01:36 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It was only a matter of time. And perhaps a little more insight into why they wanted to sever ties with PWCC.

Hopefully they don't f*ck this up like they do everything else...
Old 03-10-2022, 01:51 PM
J@E R1T0

Good bye PWCC vault!

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:09 PM
Drew W@i$e

Vaults remind me of the batcave
Old 03-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

PWCC, Goldin, and now EBay.

The more the merry

I think I am will turn my basement into a vault

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-10-2022, 03:15 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

But is the Ebay vault in a tax-free state that will allow buyers to circumvent taxes? And has anyone else ever had the thought of what would happen if one of these vaults, or PSA, or SGC's buildings ever had a fire?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-11-2022, 06:27 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
PWCC, Goldin, and now EBay.

The more the merry

I think I am will turn my basement into a vault
We're living in a flippers paradise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Good bye PWCC vault!
Maybe not!

I didn't see in that article where it said this vault was going. If memory serves, both PWCC and Goldin have their vaults in states with no sales tax. Oregon and Delaware, respectively. I believe. I can still see some people using either of them to save a few bucks if Ebay puts their vault in a state that collect sales tax. In fact, if Ebay does put this vault in a state with sales taxes, depending on which state it is and what their sales tax rate is, it could actually end up costing someone more to use their vault if they live in one of the states with no sales taxes, or one that has a lower sales tax rate than the state the vault gets located in.

Also, the article gave no info on costs to use their vault, if they are insuring what they're going to be holding for you, what happens if they lose/damage something, and maybe most importantly, I certainly didn't see anything about Ebay making loans/advances to people for items being held in their vault. Those loans/advances are a big deal for PWCC I'm betting. Also, if you use PWCC's or Goldin's vaults, and want to sell something, I believe you just contact them and tell them what to sell, and they take care of the rest. So how is that going to work with Ebay and things held and subsequently sold from their vault? Maybe they're planning to set up their own separate company as a vault seller option, and end up competing against PWCC and Goldin. Or maybe they partner up with an already existing consignment seller, like Probstein or Greg Morris Cards, to handle and offer such a service to their vault customers. Kind of going along the same lines in partnering with CSG for their new authentication service.

A lot of unanswered questions for now. And this should be very interesting as it appears another big player may possibly be looking to vertically expand in our hobby industry. Another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmm!
Old 03-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Maybe not!

I didn't see in that article where it said this vault was going. If memory serves, both PWCC and Goldin have their vaults in states with no sales tax. Oregon and Delaware, respectively. I believe. I can still see some people using either of them to save a few bucks if Ebay puts their vault in a state that collect sales tax. In fact, if Ebay does put this vault in a state with sales taxes, depending on which state it is and what their sales tax rate is, it could actually end up costing someone more to use their vault if they live in one of the states with no sales taxes, or one that has a lower sales tax rate than the state the vault gets located in.

Also, the article gave no info on costs to use their vault, if they are insuring what they're going to be holding for you, what happens if they lose/damage something, and maybe most importantly, I certainly didn't see anything about Ebay making loans/advances to people for items being held in their vault. Those loans/advances are a big deal for PWCC I'm betting. Also, if you use PWCC's or Goldin's vaults, and want to sell something, I believe you just contact them and tell them what to sell, and they take care of the rest. So how is that going to work with Ebay and things held and subsequently sold from their vault? Maybe they're planning to set up their own separate company as a vault seller option, and end up competing against PWCC and Goldin. Or maybe they partner up with an already existing consignment seller, like Probstein or Greg Morris Cards, to handle and offer such a service to their vault customers. Kind of going along the same lines in partnering with CSG for their new authentication service.

A lot of unanswered questions for now. And this should be very interesting as it appears another big player may possibly be looking to vertically expand in our hobby industry. Another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmm!
Hi Bob,

Good points, as usual. I am waiting for them to announce an acquisition of CCG, parent co to CSG, NGC, CGC and others. Now that eBay has a vault and are using CSG to authenticate ungraded cards, I figured it would only be a matter of time before they take grading in house and make themselves a one stop shop for multiple collectibles to really attempt to put pressure on the PSA/Goldin.

Chase
Old 03-10-2022, 04:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hi Bob,

Good points, as usual. I am waiting for them to announce an acquisition of CCG, parent co to CSG, NGC, CGC and others. Now that eBay has a vault and are using CSG to authenticate ungraded cards, I figured it would only be a matter of time before they take grading in house and make themselves a one stop shop for multiple collectibles to really attempt to put pressure on the PSA/Goldin.

Chase
That's what I'm starting to believe also Chase. They're thinking like the major sports leagues, and their players, who bought into Fanatics, and then turned around and basically gave themselves the exclusive sports card production rights going forward. And they used that move to then go after and acquire Topps for about half what their cancelled IPO was supposed to be worth. Fanatics is looking to vertically expand their footprint and presence in the primary sports card market, while Ebay may be looking for vertical expansion more in the secondary market. Don't think we've seen all the moves by either of them yet.