NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-19-2020, 01:24 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Your “go to” vintage dealer(s) on EBay

I’ve decided to work on two projects as I slowly ease back into collecting. The first is the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set I posted about earlier. I’m going to build it. The second is putting together a 1958 Topps Milwaukee Braves team set. Both in EX+ or slightly higher condition.

I feel that has strong eye appeal and good affordability. Cards that are pretty well centered with strong color and registration can have some subtle softness to the corners and edges, and I’m happy. I actually like a card that looks like it’s loved a bit, instead of sitting in a box for eternity.,

With the Williams set, I had the idea to blog about it. One, I want to showcase what I feel is still a criminally under-appreciated set some sixty years after its release. Two, I figure that putting the tidbits of information I learn in one place (along with examples of the goods I make) could benefit others that might look to start collecting post World War II cards.

So, my question: what dealer(s) do you have a good working relationship with on EBay? Who do you feel have established strong ties to the hobby, and are trustworthy? I will primarily be buying ungraded cards.

The two buyers I have dealt with the most are 4 Sharp Corners (for slabbed) and battersbox for ungraded. I feel both deal honestly, ship in a timely manner, and their shipping charges are fair. With battersbox, I also feel that their assessment of the conditions of their cards are pretty spot on.

I’d love to start building a list of sellers to look at when buying. I’d like to have at least three or four that I consistently do business with. I will, of course, get back to buying from sellers on our own BST.

Any information you could share here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everybody! I look forward to participating in the monthly discussions again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A shout-out for Scottsdale Baseball Cards. Brian is scrupulously honest.

My LCS is Burbank Sports Cards, and they are great too.

I have always been satisfied with raw cards from Greg Morris via eBay.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Bill,
You mentioned the two dealers I have had good success with. Battersbox grading is accurate and their shipping is great both in terms of well packaged and how fast they ship an order.

Steven
Old 09-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Tom S

I have won over 500 ungraded card auctions from gregmorriscards.

Satisfied with all. Friday night auction are for cards in low grade or altered in some way.

I usually look for cards in EXMT or better and have not been disappointed.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
A shout-out for Scottsdale Baseball Cards. Brian is scrupulously honest.

My LCS is Burbank Sports Cards, and they are great too.

I have always been satisfied with raw cards from Greg Morris via eBay.
+ 1
Old 09-19-2020, 01:37 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
I have won over 500 ungraded card auctions from gregmorriscards.

Satisfied with all. Friday night auction are for cards in low grade or altered in some way.

I usually look for cards in EXMT or better and have not been disappointed.

Same here with regards to Greg Morris

Old 09-19-2020, 04:42 PM
Bill Gregory

I have seen several of Greg’s auctions, so that will be another source to watch. I’ll investigate Burbank and Scottsdale, too.

Thanks guys. Keep any other suggestions you have coming.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Turns out I had both already saved. I didn’t recognize Scottsdale as they go by a different name. PSA Sportscards, or something.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:58 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Mantlerulz is another solid seller I heartily recommend.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:30 PM
Rob Bowling

I concur on Scottsdale and Greg Morris. Used both completing my ‘56 Topps set. Even had a few shipping issues with GMC due to the pandemic and they were always on top of it.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Mantlerulz is another solid seller I heartily recommend.
Amen. Fantastic guy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:14 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Battersbox and Greg Morris.

Battersbox has mostly (if not all) BINs, while Greg Morris has mostly (if not all) auctions with low starting bids. Battersbox also has frequent inventory reduction sales that I've taken advantage of in the past.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Jay Shumsky

I have bought many cards from Battersbox with no issues. Also, you can buy directly from their website where prices are usually lower than their listings for the same cards on eBay.

https://www.the-battersbox.net/
Old 09-20-2020, 03:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I have bought many cards from Battersbox with no issues. Also, you can buy directly from their website where prices are usually lower than their listings for the same cards on eBay.

https://www.the-battersbox.net/
And you can find many cards, via other sources, that are much cheaper than the Batterbox as well, and that's not saying anything about their grading, which, imo, definitely could be a lot better.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:22 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
And you can find many cards, via other sources, that are much cheaper than the Batterbox as well, and that's not saying anything about their grading, which, imo, definitely could be a lot better.
OK Carl Woodward, let's hear about your sources.

P.S. I like that Sawchuck memorial card you have.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:14 AM

I've been very happy with both Batters Box and Scottsdale. Both have easy to use websites, discounts over eBay and accurate scans. As far as grading, I don't have complaints - I look at the scan and price, and if I feel they match, then I get the card, whether it's listed as NrMt, EMt or Ex+++ or whatever.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
OK Carl Woodward, let's hear about your sources.

P.S. I like that Sawchuck memorial card you have.
My go to person/business when I was purchasing 52 Topps cards at a feverish pace was Greg Morris Cards. At least 85-90% of my current collection, outside the 148 my father gave me, were from Greg Morris.

Currently, since I haven't purchased many 52 Topps cards in a while, my seller list is quite huge but that is based on collecting hockey cards from CDN sellers.

I have, and continue to purchase cards from texasholdem (EBay and possible member here still?) who sells both hockey and baseball cards quite regularly.

My experience with The Battersbox wasn't that great based on the card I purchased. It had both front and reverse wrinkling/creases that weren't described in their ad nor were visible on their scans. Granted, their grading system is different than most but describing creases, etc, should, imo, be disclosed. Shipping from GM cards is more reasonable as well.

Last edited by irv; 09-21-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

One of the older guys, but I've always thought Kit Young was fair. Haven't checked him out recently, but he used to have a lot of BIN's.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Al Stein

I buy a lot from Paul at the battersbox. The cards are sometimes a bit optomistically graded but the selection is good and service is great. They ship within 24 hours of your order.

I've bought a lot from Marty's cards too. Also great customer service. I also really like Brian at Scottsdale cards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 08:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I buy a lot from Paul at the battersbox. The cards are sometimes a bit optomistically graded but the selection is good and service is great. They ship within 24 hours of your order.

I've bought a lot from Marty's cards too. Also great customer service. I also really like Brian at Scottsdale cards.

Another consideration that most U.S. collectors likely don't have to consider much, unlike me, is the cost of shipping. When I am looking for cards, I have come across, countless times, cards that I am interested in that are reasonably/fairly priced or in an auction, but when I see the crazy shipping fees, I walk away.
Also, sellers like PWCC and Probstein with their own shipping fees outside of global shipping are also crazy. With both, I see $35 (PWCC) and $25 from Probstein which are both in U.S. dollars. Not that I would ever purchase anything from PWCC again, but this is what us CDN's come across that likely most Americans don't? If I am not mistaken, most see $5.00 dollars U.S. and I see $40-$45 plus CDN from them. With Global I see anywhere from $16 dollars to well over a $100 at times, then throw in import fees if applicable, which most times they are with Global shipping, and the fees become more than the actually card(s)!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:22 AM
Chris Counts

Battersbox is my favorite. It's like a well-oiled machine that cranks out sharp, affordable commons all day long. I sometimes buy from Triple Play Vintage, but I'm OK with trimmed cards as long as I don't have to pay too much for them.

I won't buy from Burbank Sports Cards because I once asked for a scan of a card I wanted to buy, and was told they were too busy to meet my request.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:33 AM
€d M!££w00D

I 100% agree that Battersbox, Mantlerulz, Greg Morris and Scottsdale are great choices. I would add Baseball Card Exchange to the list. They have an eBay account (bbcexchange3) that is dedicated to raw vintage cards. I have had great luck using them and their grading is spot-on.

Ed
Old 09-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
I 100% agree that Battersbox, Mantlerulz, Greg Morris and Scottsdale are great choices. I would add Baseball Card Exchange to the list. They have an eBay account (bbcexchange3) that is dedicated to raw vintage cards. I have had great luck using them and their grading is spot-on.
I see Baseball Card Exchange has a brick of eight unopened 1952 Topps wax packs for sale, for $570,000. Anyone want to go halves with me?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

If he still sells online, (I can't find what I thought was his ebay ID...) I would be remiss in not recommending my old LCS owner, Chandy Greenholdt here in Winston-Salem, NC. Chandy is very well known in the region and owned a card shop for more than 25 years before having to close maybe 10-15 years ago.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:55 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
If he still sells online, (I can't find what I thought was his ebay ID...) I would be remiss in not recommending my old LCS owner, Chandy Greenholdt here in Winston-Salem, NC. Chandy is very well known in the region and owned a card shop for more than 25 years before having to close maybe 10-15 years ago.
I believe Chandy's ebay ID is chandyg6p81 .
Old 09-22-2020, 01:58 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I believe Chandy's ebay ID is chandyg6p81 .
Cool thanks. Chandy and I go back only about 20 years, but shortly after meeting him I realized we went to the same college, and he had grown up with my Mom.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-22-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:56 PM
Patrick

Quote:
One of the older guys, but I've always thought Kit Young was fair. Haven't checked him out recently, but he used to have a lot of BIN's.
+ 1 for Kit Young. I usually buy through the website instead of ebay but still very good to work with.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:36 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Chandy always sets up at the Chantilly (VA) Shows. The next Show is October 23-25.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 PM
Curt

I remember buying from Chandy on ebay years back and getting some cool oddball stuff, often at some really good prices. I think most of what he does now is BIN though. I may not always get a bargain or even win what I bid on, but the hunt for them is part of the fun. I do use BIN for things now and again, but still prefer the old auction game of chance.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:01 AM
Greg C

Rookie-Parade